Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
"What's Your Power Rangers Team Name?" game that just gives back Fury Fury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Zordon not looking too hot there

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly it's kinda surprising Hasbro hasn't gone hog wild on crossing over Power Rangers with all of their other properties

I'm sure they're busy working out a set of Transformers that go from MMPR Ranger forms to their individual Zords

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
*whispers* Season 3 themed Triple Changers that transform from Ninja Ranger to Ninja Zord and Shark Cycle

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
ooh, nice. a Samurai character would've been way down the bottom of my list of choices for DLC but going with Lauren rather than Jaden is enough to have me interested

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i clapped! i clapped when i saw it! but unironically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdSxo_OEDiA

(spoilers for Beast Morphers if you care about that sort of thing)

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
the dubbing over footage in the most recent episode was pretty special

Mon Dieu!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Wait really Space Cop Gavan? Or like all obvious homage

there was an episode of Gobusters that featured Gavan so they used that episode and suit to have him as a new character

e:f;b

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

ConanThe3rd posted:

I dunno if it was Saban Ent. talking poo poo or the internet making stuff up but wasn't there some talk of them adapting Decade in some way or another (As 'Power Rider', no less) to make sense of the crossover?

they registered a trademark for Power Rider around the time they bought the franchise back and were doing Samurai and then internet speculation went from there

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i guess it's my fault for expecting something more substantial from Jason's return when they're using such crammed footage in a single episode but apart from ASJ being daddy i was underwhelmed

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
dumb idea that just popped into my head: Boom should do a Scorpion Rain graphic novel

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Burkion posted:

They'd have the rights to the characters Jason, Trini, Zack and so on, but the actual bankable designs? Those belong to Toei. Those are the ZyuRanger suits, copywritten to Toei.

They don't own those. They can't use those if they don't have Toei's permission.

They'd have nothing, period.

The Robotech Conundrum

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

When was the last good Megazord? The last good one I remember was SPD main one

Gokai-Oh ruled, shame about the everything that happened with MegaForce

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

Gokai-Oh had 4 sub zords that....never...actually.....did....anything

For sure, the individual components get no use apart from the team cruising around in the galleon, but the combined form is right up there as far as swanky Megazords go

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
first Dino Fury trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h31MJCYTB-E

just the usual "vague stuff about the setup and then a bunch of Sentai footage" stuff

oh yeah, and to the surprise of absolute nobody, the ~mysterious silhouette~ for the third character in the current Battle for the Grid season pass turned out to be Scorpina

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKNG7MYHBCo

e: and the Red/Blue/Pink Dino Fury actors

https://twitter.com/PwrRngrSite/status/1309952995870863360

Homora Gaykemi fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 27, 2020

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

serefin99 posted:

Like you said, it's not surprising, but I still can't help but feel a tad disappointed that Scorpina made it in. There are still multiple seasons that don't have even a single representative, but instead of any of them, they spring for... an obscure minor villain from the first season that hardly anyone even remembers?

RJ and Lauren are such solid picks that I'm mostly just kinda "okay, sure, whatever" about the third character being another from MMPR. It was just really funny that they tried to do the whole "oooh, so mysterious" thing when the minute everyone saw the silhouette we knew it was Scorpina

drrockso20 posted:

I figure it's mostly cause Scorpina was in Green With Evil

Yeah, I guess this way you can have a Tommy/Goldar/Scorpina GWE team if you fancy

Xelkelvos posted:

Someone from /m/ pointed out that you can just make out a bit of stylized sub from TV-N in that trailer.

lmbo

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
even when the footage was soft SD stuff Trini's Ranger form was obviously different from Kimberly's and it never occurred to me to wonder at all why that was when i was seven or whatever years old watching MMPR

i dunno, maybe kids are more astute now and would be more likely to notice, i figure there's enough discrepancies between the footage as it is that it's not any bigger a deal now than it was in the first Saban era and i'd personally prefer more female Ranger characters even if they're obviously genderswapped from their Sentai counterparts

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Trini is the best MMPR character, yeah

Burkion posted:

I also appreciate that not all the girls have to wear skirts. That just feels right to me.

This is a good point that I'd never really thought to articulate myself before, yeah. Moving away from reinforcing the "they're one of the girls, so they have to have a skirt" idea is good

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Come to think of it, did any ranger actually have an acting career before they were on Power Rangers (I know Amy Jo Johnson, JYB, and Erin Cahill went on to have something of one afterwards at least)?

In the Disney era they started getting people that were actors first, so the Aussie and Kiwi Rangers tended to have appeared on local soaps like Home and Away and Shortland Street before becoming Power Rangers

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i'm the one person in the world that loves Mystic Force's theme

Operation Overdrive

I honestly kind of like that one though. It is not really a rapl either.

For some reason "Five fingers reachin' for the sky in five ways,
Five heroes walkin' through the sun for five days,
Dark forces lurkin', leavin' evil where they roam
Five Rangers lookin' for the same five stones!" is a real earworm to me. And I like the instrumentation

:same:

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Also they really need to retire “Go Go Power Rangers” for a while/for good, it’s getting old now.

I don't mind it when it's like Dino Charge where there's an entire original song before it gets to that part. As a recurring motif worked into larger songs I'm like "yeah sure, that's okay, whatever" even if I'd probably prefer them stand entirely on their own

But yeah, Dino Fury's theme, woof

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Dino Fury 1 was pretty dece.

"Hengemen" is A+ naming

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, it's definitely still not a favourite, but there are elements in there I don't mind that it's like "this could have been a decent theme"

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
lmao, the Buzz Blast boss lady's robot is from Hartford Robotics, like the dude from Operation Overdrive

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

I like the pump action swords. I'm not sure why they have to pump them but I like it

Gotta extract the juIce from the boost keys :v:

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
"We're gonna toss your salad!"

Dang, TJ, okay

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Post changeover Turbo is pretty decent, having watched the five episodes after the handover so far. Passing the Torch is a pretty good story on its own, apart from the actual transfer feeling kind of abrupt and like something that could have been developed a smidge more. Though honestly there probably wasn't a whole extra episode in that either, really, it's just that the "hey, remember guys, this is your Ultimate Mission" comes out of nowhere in the last ten minutes

And then after that it feels like the show is willing to embrace the Sentai footage a bit more instead of using as little as possible the way it felt like at the start of the season, Bulk and Skull taking on and immediately failing at jobs is a better comedy b plot than the stuff when they were monkeys, it all just kind of works a bit better

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

you spin me right round, baby, right round
like a morpher baby right round round round~

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
apparently there won't be a new episode this weekend 'cause of the Kids Choice Awards? kinda bummer timing for that since i think we're meant to be having Black and Green join in the next ep and it'll be interesting to see how they work with the current cast since we've had a pretty good three member dynamic so far

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

How TF does the kids choice impact a show on at god drat 7 am?

i guess any excuse for Nick to do a full day of Spongebob reruns? :shrug:

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Though if you made the Dairanger suits into the Metallic Armor instead of it just being the old suits but shinier what would you do for Tommy then?

make him Kingranger and push the problem back another half season :v:

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

It'll never happen, but I'd love a LuPat adaptation where the ranger teams are explicitly enemies rather than angsty allies working at cross purposes, and the cop rangers are unequivocally bad guys

Yeah, I never watched any LuPat so I don't know how well the footage supports it but just conceptually you could easily do a Streets of Rage thing where the Lupinrangers are the few former cops who were willing to quit to be able to combat the institutional corruption from outside the system.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
lmao, apparently Izzy is tearing off her skirt in the background here. masterstroke way to both have the girls match by default but also have the skirtless one line up with the Sentai footage. great way to work that into a character beat

https://twitter.com/Jumbalia23/status/1372334124246138884

Homora Gaykemi fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 19, 2021

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
poor Dragnarok constantly getting talked over while trying to introduce himself lmao

Dino Fury remains good

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

drrockso20 posted:

Wonder how well the Hasbro versions will turn out

they showed off prototype versions on stream a month or so ago and they look like they could be really cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4myzEBBEMWk&t=1680s

(starts around 28 minutes if the timecode didn't work)

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
...I have now ordered the Dino Fury morpher and basic Pink Ranger figure. these will be the first Power Rangers toys I've bought since the cheap as poo poo western Samurai morpher, which was the first ranger toy I'd had since the Turbo stuff I had as a kid

I feel like I'll probably buy the Green Ranger figure and all of the Zords if those wind up as good as the previews look

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
turns out making a decent show with engaging characters makes idiot adults want to throw money at your plastic, who would've thought

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Can't figure out how to embed the mobile link in a post but thus is the episode five preview

https://youtu.be/SA-Pvl_EEXQ

Some decently acted character stuff

Apparently they have a Special Olympian playing Izzy's cousin in this episode which is really cool

Homora Gaykemi fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Mar 25, 2021

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Sockser posted:

This was very very nice

This whole episode is really charming

I'm really enjoying Dino Fury so far, morph sequence and theme song notwithstanding

Wasn't the strongest episode we've had so far but yeah, I thought it was nice. Definitely handled the message and inclusion 100x better than I'd expect a show wouldve when I was in the target audience, while also progressing the larger toy marketing story

As long as they cut the morphing sequence down in an episode or two I'm fine with it, I assume it's just been so long since we're still building the team together but if they're still doing it like this later on it'll be bad yeah

The tragedy of the theme song is that the episode bgm has been really good and you can hear some of the same style in the opening instrumentation but then it has the whole GGPR thing smothering it

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
episode 8 preview

https://twitter.com/PowerRangersFun/status/1380300709590016000

i never watched Ninja Steel so i know poo poo all about this character but a Kelson Henderson guest spot has to be good, right?