Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Both of these two clips highlight my irrational irritating movie moments. The first is from the Matrix Reloaded, specifically Seraph in the hallwau between approx 2:20 to 2:50:

To this day, I have no idea what the gently caress those people are saying.

It it makes you feel any better, I have no idea what those people are saying in the Matrix Reloaded clip either :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Morpheus posted:

I'm sorry what.

*checks wikipedia*

Wow, I had no idea he wrote this. I'm surprised it's not being advertised as BY THE AUTHOR OF GAME OF THRONES plastered over the screen. Mind you, I don't think I've watched any ads for it, so...maybe it is?

I have seen his name mentioned in ads, which made me wonder “didn’t he have a different series to finish?” before I found out when he wrote it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

I know, I just wanted to show that off because it is hilarious.

I watched several movies during the Shaw Brothers marathon on Twitch a month ago and it was amazing how many sudden endings there were. Compare that to these days where even B-movie shlock has pacing and gets a proper epilogue.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpRkT9JxdnE

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Definitely not all its trailers. Both Terminator 2 and From Dusk Till Dawn are movies that revealed their start of second act plot-twist in promotional material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1mF_hX8hT4

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Mar 11, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

It is wishful thinking. People wish they themselves didn’t know about the sudden genre change going in so it would have blown their mind.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Clearly, God fucks.

Probably not a horndog like Zeus tho.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol I knew about geese and ‘golden showers’ before but a random wiki page informed me Zeus made a lady pregnant while in the form of an ant. Now if it was a man-sized ant that’s weird enough but if it was a regular ant then he must have some S+ quality fuckstyling going on.

Tell me about it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI2UyBsfeN8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI2MbS-e_us

It’s a good thing we’ve got years, right.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Schubalts posted:

Poor, poor R Pats. He did not deserve what Twilight did, and is probably still doing, to him.

I'd say he's been fine. He did three romantic dramas in between the Twilight movies and then stepped away from being typecast with stuff like The Rover, Good Times and recently High Life. Cosmopolis was apparently released before the last Twilight movie, but already showed in which direction he wanted to go.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Even after the card game took over that was still the plot. They have the guy who created the card game say that he was in Egypt when he saw stone tablets with monsters carved into them and that inspired the game. Then they reveal that the stone tablets actually summoned monsters.

Pegasus was called a prophet
(Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb)
He started Duel Monsters

Many people believed Pegasus
And that night he saw a pharaoh

He found the stone tablets
Even though nobody else ever saw them

Sorry, couldn't resist that South Park reference. Note that I have no idea who that creator is and just went with Pegasus.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 11:28 on Apr 3, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

1stGear posted:

"Is Prometheus good or bad" is the CineD equivalent of tipping or circumcision. Please do not bring that evil in here.

There is no running away from Prometheus discussions, you just have to sidestep it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Bucky is pretty boring and even though they're supposed to be his oldest friend they don't have an ounce of the chemistry that Cap and Sam have. It just feels like a much better choice.

He was also more at peace no longer being a brainwashed soldier with somebody pulling the strings. He’s also less interesting when fighting aliens just using a rifle and a knife. Sam has flight and whatever weaponry he can stuff into his gear.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

What's the ratio of eye patches in movies to eye patches in real life? Because I've never seen an actual one in real life unless a person was just coming off surgery but in movies an eye patch always means "this person is a total badass" (Nick Fury, Snake Plisken, Jack Sparrow, Darrly Hannah in Kill Bill, Battlestar Galactica, Moody from Harry Potter... the dudes from Lost and Oz) and not "gently caress, what happened to your eye?"

There's Rosamund Pike in A Private War, but that is a biopic for Marie Colvin. Since she was a journalist operating in warzones, she was a case for both: lost her eye during work, wanted to look hardened (I think). I also imagine it is less maintenance when you are frequently surrounded by rubble and dust.

Mu Zeta posted:

People like Nick Fury shouldn't even be allowed to carry a gun because of his lack of depth perception.

If you are blind in one eye, do you still need to shut that eyelid to focus when using a sniper scope tho? Half joke, half serious question

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Still Endgame.

Gaunab posted:

I thought they all came back at the same time so even though Nebula spent more time in 2014 it seemed like she was right behind him to Rhodes.

She was. You see her looking around a bit, paying more attention to her surroundings than the others.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I believe it is close to the battlefield. You can see a construction site in the background. I definitely got the impression “they are slowly rebuilding, but they just recently started”.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Clam Chowdown posted:

Endgame: Why did Ant Man's daughter age like 10 years in the 5 year time skip?

How old do you think the actress is?
Wikipedia says 17 at the moment, I imagine she was 16 during filming. The new actress is 6 1/2 years older than her predecessor.

e;f,b

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Rascar Capac posted:

GoT: what happened to the Dothraki? The Unsullied are off to the beach, which is fair enough, but I don’t think the Dothraki are mentioned after Daenerys’ Triumph of the Will scene.

In the end as Jon Snow is walking in the harbor he comes across several Dothraki. I guess the implication is that they are about to sail away to somewhere, like the Unsullied. But it doesn't tell you where.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 10:19 on May 21, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

ulex minor posted:

the constant narration in the good omens tv show was teeth crushingly awful and unnecessary

Would you say it is godawful?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I do not like Godzilla '98, but I do like Godzilla: The Album. It's even got Rage Against The Machine selling out.

quote:

Hospitals not profit full
Yet market bulls got pockets full
To advertise some hip disguise
View tha world from American eyes
Tha poor adore keep fiendin for more
Tha thin line between entertainment and war
They fix the need, develop the taste
Buy their products or get laid to waste
Coca-Cola is back in the veins of Saigon
And Rambo too, he got a dope pair of Nikes on
And Godzilla pure muthafuckin filler
To keep ya eyes off the real killer

Haha, you seriously think for one moment RATM would sell out?! loving nope lol

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewFg5wUvkGI

Also:
Strange: People used to laugh at my jokes...
Wong: Did these people work for you?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

When in the cinema I always hate desert scenes, because they are so bright in the dark room that looking at them hurts my eyes, due to the glare of the sun on the sand contrasted with the dimly lit theatre.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Meanwhile Romans considered the penis a symbol of power and protection. Pendants and inscriptions of winged penises protecting common citizens are common.

Never shall we forget the heroic deeds of Biggus Dickus.

What? Why are you laughing?!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I usually do, but it was late and cold and I was super tired. Mind spoiling it for me?

Fury and Hill were being replaced by Skrull shapeshifters. If you didn't see Captain Marvel this probably won't make sense. Fury was replaced by the main Skrull dude. He leaves a voicemail for the actual Fury telling him about the stuff that has happened. The movie then cuts to Fury listening to the voicemail while chilling on a beach. As the camera pans out we see that it is not an actual beach, merely a room simulating a beach. The camera keeps panning out and Fury is on a space station/ship with a lot of people working in the background. He then asks who took his shoes. The end.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

“child giggling/laughing” has been the stock sound effect that has been the bane of my existence since the nineties. I still hear it in ads to this day.

Edit: I hate this poo poo.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 22:46 on Jul 24, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Len posted:

I read The Boys and knew what I was going into but I was kind of expecting it to tone it down a little.

Episode 1
Tv ma, adult content, graphic language, graphic violence, nudity, strong sexual content, rape

It has Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen as creators/executive producers, just like on Preacher. I imagine if you're going to have them after that show, you're giving them free reign.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

It has its moments, but I don't think it's an amazing show. If you had to provide a synopsis of a season, you realize barely anything made progress.

I mostly watch it for Hitler. Quote me on that, AMC.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Paddington 2 is a fantastic wholesome perfect movie. If you had actually shown any signs of disagreement with that movie you would have been treated to an eye glare, a wagging finger and a “tssk tskk”!!

Also a marmalade sandwich to wash your mouth from such filth.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The Boys is "What if superheroes were really Jeffrey Epstein?"

*nods*, I’m a couple episodes in and bad things do happen on planes.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Pilchenstein posted:

At the end of The Boys: Butcher suicide bombs a baby for literally no reason, or attempts to at least.

Luckily Homelander totally saved that baby instead of just whisking Butcher away... right? That is totally what he would do!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Memento posted:

You hear... Wrong.

:lost: was great as weekly show where you'd discuss* it with other people online, but I'd imagine it holds up poorly in retrospect, especially when you can consume it in large quantities.

*say really dumb things

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

[...] But it's actually a p dece film and Matthias Schoenaerts is born to play Putin in something in like 10-15 years.

:monocle:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I almost put that on the other day but I just couldn't handle the prospect of that smash mouth concert at the end. It's so dumb.

It’s been a while since I saw Rat Race, but I think the entire movie was pretty drat silly. I mean,

quote:

Enrico falls asleep at the start and wakes up hours later. He receives a ride from Zack, an ambulance driver delivering a transplant heart. Enrico inadvertently throws the heart out of the van whereupon it is stolen by a dog, which is then electrocuted by an electric fence. Zack decides to kill Enrico to replace the heart. Enrico escapes by boarding a passing train to Silver City station, where he is the first to reach the locker, only to fall asleep while unlocking it.
and

quote:

Randy and his family mistakenly visit a Klaus Barbie museum where they steal Adolf Hitler's staff car after the Cody brothers sabotage their vehicle. When his family insists on ending the trip, Randy drugs them with sleeping pills and bundles them into a semi-truck.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Thor Ragnarok:
[...]
Karl Urban feels weirdly disconnected from the action since none of the heroes ever get to acknowledge his existence and the story would have been the same without his involvement.

It's pure fan service. He seems to solely exist to pay tribute to this moment from the comics: https://imgur.com/gallery/Q5lhK
(note: the uploader messed up the order of the images, second comic page should go first)

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 11:07 on Aug 24, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Actually, it's that song from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
:goonsay:

The Dutch army also has a recruitment ad that blatantly imitates it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Eclipse12 posted:

yeah ok like anyone would have heard of Mad World if it weren't for that one Gears of War commercial

Oh, you mean that song made famous by Adam Lambert’s performance on American Idol?!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I love the music made for Quentin Tarantino movies. Especially songs like Across 110th Street, Twisted Nerve, Theme from Ironside, L’Arena, Regan's Theme (Floating Sound) and who could possibly forget The Flower of Carnage 修羅の花?

Eclipse12 posted:

yeah ok like anyone would have heard of Dragula if it weren't for every racing game ever for the PS2

Pretty sure that is a Jet Grind Radio original, friend. I know my Sega games!

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 17:33 on Aug 25, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Len posted:

Remember that time people on Twitter legitimately thought Kanye discovered Paul McCartney?

I don’t remember that, but Kanye did legitimately discover this crusty dude from Cornwall, England who plays the piano. He got featured on “Blame Game”.

He’s called Pinnacle Gemini, I believe!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

oldpainless posted:

I never saw Dark Phoenix because I’m not a sad loser but I will say the award for “movie with cool awesome stuff that’s boring as poo poo” will forever be Sucker Punch

Dark Phoenix is a great authentic comic book movie because it really hits the feeling of another forgettable run in a decades old series.
"Are we going do another arc that spans several comics throughout a year? Some really ambitious stuff?" "No, it is just one title that needs to be filled for the next couple of months."

I guess 20th Century Fox was trying to make some quick money with their license. And then they got bought by Disney.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 11:04 on Sep 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Phanatic posted:

I started watching it last night, couldn't finish, gave up after 40 minutes.

The other thing that was really impressive was how lovely the production values were. It looked like a network television production. I like that they just gave up and put Jennifer Lawrence in a yellow jumpsuit at one point, which makes me wonder why they bothered with the terrible blue makeup at all.

If you do a side-by-side of all 4 movies you can see how the rise of stardom led to the downfall of the makeup. I don't blame her. Not everybody has the patience of Jim Carrey doing The Grinch, especially if it's for something you signed up long ago.