Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

This is why I go camping, read paperbacks, and play board games.

Camping is by far my favorite way to decompress. Nothing like telling the shop to gently caress off for the weekend because I won't have cell service.

On the rare occasion that I have cell service in the area I'm camping, I like to mock my co-workers by emailing them pictures of the view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

goobernoodles posted:

I was having to clean his blood out of our server rack the next day.

I would have noped the gently caress out of there so fast. I had a friend commit suicide a couple months ago. I wouldn't have been able to handle that.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ElGroucho posted:

Sickening said he wouldn't hire a dirty, smelly hippy and somehow triggered the Revolution

Other issues aside, I wouldn't hire someone that smells like weed for the same reasons I wouldn't hire someone that smells like alcohol.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

evol262 posted:

This is kind of brilliant.

Every time I see the terrible software niche industries (dentists, churches, etc) deal with, I'm tempted to write some marginally less garbage software and rake in money hand over fist.

Speaking of dentists. The dentrix practice management software was finally updated to use a SQL database instead of flat data files on a network share in the year of our lord 2012.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

Is this the thread for being the family computer guy? In laws laptop was on Firefox 10.0.2 and has aol dashboard installed. They pay for a monthly tuneup service. Help.

If you want help with the computer, check out haus of tech support. If you want advice on the best whiskey to help with coping, you're in the right place.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I've had a 25 year old co worker who refused to own a smart phone, a 35 year old who constantly rages against social media, and a 45 year old who had at minimum summary level knowledge of every new technology and service ever.

I'm over 30 now, and while there are things that I don't immediately 'get' anymore, I at least don't assume that it's a terrible waste and totally inferior to 'older thing' and those drat kids get off my lawn.

Physical age matters little as long as you keep an open mind and try new things.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

:yotj:

Pros: Getting further from users and deeper into the tech, leaving a dysfunctional environment, nearly 50% more money, and going from DC cost of living to Austin cost of living.
Cons: Having to move from DC to Austin. At least I hear it's alright as far as Texas goes.

Relocation aside, this should be a step in the right direction. The advice in this thread really helped out, more than anything else the reminder that if you are in a well, get the gently caress out.

In the injustice comic shazam and the green lantern relocate Atlantis to the middle of a desert. From the handful of times I've visited Austin, it's as if someone did the same thing to Portland.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I wouldn't call ~65% humidity a desert. Here in Colorado, we get 30% in summer, 43% in winter. I don't know, maybe Austin gets all its humidity from the ocean, despite having almost no rain or something. But I'd think it's kind of far inland for that, if I remember my geography right.

It is a metaphor. Austin is very different from the rest of Texas both culturally and politically.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

I am really finding it hard to believe that the 3 hours of driving from Houston to Austin is making any difference in the level of crawfish quality.

In many cases, that's the difference between them being frozen or fresh off the boat.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

It shocks me that people still don't know about pdq inventory.

This.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ElGroucho posted:

He's gotta be a troll, right?

..... Right?

He's as real as it gets. We should probably treat him as a troll though.

This latest mess isn't even his best one. He had a fantastic blowup about women in tech a while ago.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I don't know Australia, it's just my understanding that they got treated at least as badly as natives in America. And it's hard to do that without literal death camps.

http://www.kooriweb.org/foley/essays/essay_8.html posted:

From the beginning of the British invasion of Australia (justified on the myth of terra nullius), the Indigenous people were slaughtered on a grand scale. In Tasmania between 1804 and 1834, the Aboriginal population was reduced from an estimated 5000 people to just 200, which represented a 90% reduction in just 30 years. In Victoria it has been estimated that the Koori population declined by about 60% in just 15 years between 1835 and 1850 as more than 68 individual ‘massacres’ were perpetrated in that period. Indeed, according to representative of the North West Clans of Victoria, Mr Gary Murray, of the 38 clans that lived in Victoria B.C. (Before Cook) only 24 today have living descendants. By 1850 virtually all active resistance to the invasion had been quelled in Victoria. Census figures published in March 1857 showed that only 1,768 Aborigines were left in all of that state. So comprehensive was the ‘ethnic cleansing’ of Australia that out of an estimated 500 language groups on mainland Australia when the British arrived, barely half that number of languages were to survive. By 1871, one correspondent, G. Carrington felt compelled to write,

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Seriously, working minimum wage at a convenience store would be a better experience than what your dealing with right now.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Docjowles posted:

That's better :) Also, as a CO resident myself, the fact that said shitlord lives in the Springs is not surprising in the least.

My brother in law lives in co springs. He's a pretty big redneck.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ElGroucho posted:

And stow all that millennial talk, especially if you are a goddamn baby boomer

We have one "millennial" employee right now, and she is one of the god drat hardest workers we have.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Honest Thief posted:

Just one? Millennial's range from 1979 to current

Everything I've seen implies 1990+
Gen x would be 1970s and 1980s

Wikipedia seems to agree with me, but acknowledges ambiguity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation#Western_world

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ElGroucho posted:

Let's all be friends, guys

I'm just waiting for that one dude to come back and tell us that he's going to give his employer another 2 months to replace him

We all know that there is no replacement.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Methanar posted:

Honestly that's what I tried to do, but he bought total garbage from dlink and I couldn't even put it into a switch-like mode. So until I can get a proper 2 port switch or something for him he's just going to have to be patient.

I'm so remote ordering one would take 4+ weeks and nobody here sells them off the shelf.

You're over thinking it. "Switch mode"on any consumer router is "turn off dhcp and don't use the wan port"

Even such places as office max carry non terrible 5 port gigabit switches for very little money. 2 port switches are a dumb idea.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Methanar posted:

The only thing within 150km is a single Source and they don't stock switches.

It's rare to find someone that works in a more rural location than I do.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

psydude posted:

It's also a major security risk because now anyone can plug anything into the extra ports and there's no reliable way to stop them. And no, MAC security is not reliable .

All valid concerns, but sometimes there aren't other options.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

evol262 posted:

That makes more sense. I guess I just find this sad for Microsoft. They wanted to get away from an incredibly outdated UI paradigm and try something different, and everyone hates it because it's different. The training costs incurred with teaching desk workers how to use a new UI are significant, but stuffing Metro apps into the side of the start menu so it takes up half the screen and users get to keep their precious lower-left windows logo is hideous and depressing.

The problem is that metro is terrible on large displays with keyboard and mouse.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh no it's not. That's what I run at home and I have zero issues, a lot of actions are quicker/more efficient than before once I got used to it. This is like a circa 2012 argument, drat.

I'm going to have to, um... disagree with you there.

The metro screen and metro apps are straight up not designed for use with a mouse, and it shows. Keyboard shortcuts solve some problems, but the average user is not going to learn them. Just because you've adapted doesn't mean it's not objectively worse.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

evol262 posted:

I've literally never used Metro in anything other than RDP or a VM on a large display, and it seems fine to me, because you don't actually need to use it for anything. If you want to run apps, you can just hit the Windows key and start typing, but I personally don't like anything that requires you to interact with a mouse or touchscreen, and Metro is a million times better for keyboard-driven workflow, because I don't have the time (or use Windows often enough, really) to memorize the slew of windows-only hotkeys.

The whole "hit the windows key and start typing" thing has been around since Vista. Even using that as your primary method of launching programs, it's still a jarring user experience to have your whole screen change when bringing up the menu.

Anyway, that's solved in 10 with the search box/launcher/cortana being on the taskbar.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

If I can't set the static IP of a network adapter in less than 6 clicks I get pissed off pretty fast. Win 8/10 both keep developing new ways to hide it from me.

On a whim I tested this. Should work in 7/8/8.1/10

1. Right-click on network status icon.
2. Click on open network and sharing center.
3. Click on adapter name.
4. Click on properties button.
5. Select IPv4 in list.
6. Click properties button.

Also,

1. Press start key.
2. type "view network connections"
3. Press enter.
4. Right click on adapter.
5. Click on properties.
6. Select IPv4 in list.
7. Click properties button.

Or,
pre:
netsh interface ip set address name=”Local Area Connection” static 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.254

bull3964 posted:

You do realize that in 8.1/2012 R2 you can just right click the start button and go directly to Network Connections right?

I keep forgetting about that menu. This menu can also be accessed with win+x, which I think someone mentioned earlier.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 21, 2015

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Netsh is being deprecated so that's a bad idea. Use PowerShell.

PLEASE

Sorry.

pre:
New-NetIPAddress –InterfaceAlias “Wired Ethernet Connection” –IPv4Address “192.168.0.1” –PrefixLength 24 -DefaultGateway 192.168.0.254
http://www.howtogeek.com/112660/how-to-change-your-ip-address-using-powershell/

edit: wrong link

The Fool fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 21, 2015

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sheep posted:

Why is IPv4Address a string but DefaultGateway isn't? Not trying to be pedantic (I am bad at Powershell and do not have an answer for this question).

Because I copy-pasted from a poorly written article and quotes being around those values don't matter.

pre:
New-NetIPAddress –InterfaceAlias “Wired Ethernet Connection” –IPv4Address “192.168.0.1” –PrefixLength 24 -DefaultGateway "192.168.0.254"
New-NetIPAddress –InterfaceAlias “Wired Ethernet Connection” –IPv4Address 192.168.0.1 –PrefixLength 24 -DefaultGateway "192.168.0.254"
New-NetIPAddress –InterfaceAlias “Wired Ethernet Connection” –IPv4Address 192.168.0.1 –PrefixLength 24 -DefaultGateway 192.168.0.254
Should all do the same thing.

efb

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've been kind of shocked and surprised at this military chat, then was told by someone that it's actually pretty common in the USA to work with someone ex-military. Just seems really weird to me.

Largest volunteer army in the world.

It depends a lot on where you are in country too. Some places have a much higher density of (former)military than others.

Also, have have 4 military bases within 2 hours drive.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

go3 posted:

you probably have they just dont mention it because most dont want their dick sucked by literally every civilian they come across

I was working the store one day and was talking to an active duty army soldier in uniform, when we got interrupted by another customer who just had to express how grateful he was for the soldiers service. After the other customer walked away, the soldier rolled his eyes and made a couple jokes about how annoying that was.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I haven't read this before, but I'm a fan of this concept.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

flosofl posted:

Are they supplying Fluke AirMagnet and/or Zebra LANPlanner (formerly Motorola LANPlanner)? Because that poo poo ain't cheap, but if you want to do a real survey, you'll need real tools. I know you can do a predictive survey in LANPlanner (not sure if AirMagnet will do predictive), but the software is the lions share of the cost anyway. It just saves a time and having to go on site. But you will need accurate floor plans with material information (metal framing, cinder block walls here, drywall used here, etc...) and you miss out on getting a baseline of any other active RF activity in 2.4GHz and 5GHz and setting the ambient RF noise floor.

I just install aps based on gut feeling and hope for the best.

It helps that my largest wireless install was 8 aps, so there really isn't much of way to gently caress it up.

I can see that nice expensive stuff being useful for larger installations though.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

When I get asked to do a "wifi survey" I walk around with InSSIDer open on my laptop and go "Welp, good enough."

I got a cheap USB spectrum analyzer from ubiquity as a free gift. It's neat to look at but the only time I ever had to use it was to prove to a client that yes the x-ray machine in the dentists office next door is the source of your wireless problems, and no there's nothing we can do about it.

These days I just use an ssid scanner on my phone.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Canada has awesome town names. That is all.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Reiz posted:

Yeah, my mistake. I'm aware that <x feature> isn't always necessarily "just bash" but, in my haste, neglected to specify "on linux servers with usability tools installed".

As far as the best way to do foo, all of the things I mentioned are pretty much widely known issues. There are a lot of things to complain about with regards to cisco IOS and "its not like <linux shell>" is definitely one of them.

For example, you can "more" commands instead of "show" to get additional features. The featurelist is, essentially, 3 things: you can use the ridiculous regex engine that doesn't handle multiple lines. You can 'begin' - start showing the output of the command at the first occurence of your input. You can 'include' - only show lines that match your input. You can also / - basically your forward search in Vi/Vim/Less/hatever the official name of this thing actually is.

You can't ? backwards search. There's no cut/awk and then print the Xth item in this array delimited by Y character. There's no screen or similar. If you want to show specific information about things in cisco IOS you pretty much have 2 options. Show run <thing> and hope that A: this command exists, B: that your specific software version supports this command, and C: whoever arbitrarily decided the output of this command included the information that you want. Or you can do what I do and manage all of your config files on a linux server that has BSD coreutils or GNU coreutils or busybox or whatever else installed, so you can check the configs out of version control and then do your awks and seds and greps and what-have-you.

If <other network guy> in this thread has any corrections or suggestions I would be very interested in hearing about them!

So, is my approach of showing the entire config, exporting my buffer, and pasting it into sublime text the wrong way to do things?

I only poke at iOS devices like twice a year though.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ukrainius maximus posted:

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but can any of you recommend a decent network toner that isn't too terribly expensive? I started at a new position and I need to trace some network drops (and possibly phone lines in the future) since nothing is loving labeled. I'm not too experienced with these devices so I can't pick apart what's lovely from what's not, but I don't think my manager would approve anything above $200.

One of my vendors recommended this Fluke IntelliTone 200 to me, but I've used this one in the past and it seemed kind of lovely.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

That is the exact toner that I own and use. I've used the poo poo out of it over the last 4 years, and never had any problems.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

skooma512 posted:

Server guy let me rack a server and configure it :unsmith:

It was fairly basic and nothing I wouldn't have done on a desktop, but hopefully this leads to big show. I'm studying for MCSA, still deciding on whether to do 2012 or 2008.

If you're starting from scratch, do 2012. All the higher concepts are pretty much the same, so differences are either in implantation, or new features.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Oh holy poo poo I am on the precipice of a huge upwards career move. :yotj:

I've been negotiating hard for a job I really want to take. I got a call from a different position offering $10/hr more than what I was shooting for on the other.

I'm not quite at six figures yet, but this is amazing considering I was just posting 2 years ago asking people poo poo like "How am I supposed to learn sequel when I don't even know about the original?"

Edit:
If anyone is lurking this thread, is smart, and is considering getting into IT, DO IT!

Am I the only one that is annoyed by people pronouncing SQL as sequel?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Happiness Commando posted:

Can someone who works at a sucessful MSP talk about how you manage documentation? Right now much of our institutional knowledge is locked up inside our heads, and in fact, we recently had a new hire quit because he was expecting a corporate-like (single) environment with a fully populated knowledgebase instead of multiple discrete environments, each with their own quasi-, poorly-, or undocumented quirks.

Right now we overwhelmingly have the following:

Installers, instructions, and license license details in a shared folder
Contact info for LOB/systems support in a cloud storage service
Almost no KB articles, but 2 KB frameworks
No centralized infrastructure documentation like IP schemes or infrastructure diagrams

So yeah, it sucks. How am I supposed to fix it, and what do successful solutions look like?

Hey, your company sounds like mine. But we just had two of the top three sources of institutional knowledge quit 6 months ago.

We're in the process of installing a new ticket system with an integrated wiki.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Truga posted:

Process is a process.

A daemon is an application that runs in the background and does things. "background process" I think in windows.

Service is the more appropriate windows analog.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The new ticket/shop management software we're setting up has slack integration. So of course, based on this conversation I went and turned it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Get on his computer and install one of those programs that remaps the keys. Just remap the top row with the symbols. See how long it takes him to figure it out.

Speaking of keyboards, we had a user request a keyboard that goes abcdef instead of qwerty. She didn't get what she wanted.

http://www.fastfingerkeyboards.com/

Their store link is broken though, so oh well.