Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I'm sitting here, with 0 fatigue on both characters, but I still want to play - curse you, Neople! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

I had assumed I could only create two characters, since that's what everyone had been saying, but it just let me create a third, huh. Maybe the emergency maintenence reset the character limit?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Nighthand posted:

Got a m.nen to 18 and a creator to 16. Creator, I think I got hit once the whole time? drat she's OP for the early levels.

Looks like the server reset did reset your character creation limit. If you made two before their maintenance, you can make two more now.

Yeah I just leveled creator to 16 too, hot drat - it feels like cheating, especially after playing a monk that died multiple times against some of the things that i just dropped 20 meteors and two giant blocks of ice on in 0.5 seconds.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Is the game down for maintenence or something? Grayed out play button, was hoping to play after the rollover.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I was considering Elementalist with my Avenger out of FP. What about her male counterpart, how does he play?

I said earlier I was gonna make a Launcher but I kind of don't want to redo something I've already done in ye olde DFO. I've done Asura, F. Grappler, M. Brawler, Berserker, Launcher, Glacial Master, and Rogue before, all up to 50 or so. Maybe one of the Nens or one of the Mechanics, or Elementalist.

Male elementalist is a blast, and is like an elementalist only with way bigger, more damaging, and more spammable aoes. Someone told me they're bad at max level compared to female elementalist because f. ele got her second awakening and m. ele's still like a year away, but I'm not sure how much of the case this is. Even if f. ele ends up stronger, I can't imagine that even at max level f. ele is more fun than m. ele - f. ele is an old class and feels old.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I didn't get far with elebomber, but what I played was pretty much just xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the occasional use of the awful crystal drop skill. It gets better?

Yeah, they get some pretty crazy aoes - and even early elebomber xxxx is a million times better than early f.ele, or the f.ele I remember from the nexon version, anyway. iirc, f. ele just melees with a stick and has no ranged x, runs out of mana constantly, and her main method of defense is to take damage to mp so she has to drink even more mana potions.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

If earlyish Crusaders had more soloability on the way to being geared out the rear end I'd play them without question, mostly because of the theme. :v:

Thanks for the videos, I'll give some thought.

Same, that video is tempting me, but I know firsthand how painful low level 'sader is.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Looks like the character creation timer isn't related to the fatigue reset timer - I can create another two characters, now. I'm not sure when it triggered, but I couldn't like 6 hours ago.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
:drat:

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I actually liked the new Behemoth. The most annoying dungeon for me was probably Tyrant's Altar, with an annoying boss that becomes invincible if you stun/freeze him and who can have bad luck mess up your quests. Dungeons in general can be repetitive with excessive repeats, but this is really anywhere 30+ and I take it for granted as long as I still make good progress time-wise - I beat most behemoth maps at like 3-4 minutes per run so it wasn't like torturous, and there wasn't any bad quests except for one possibly bugged quest for a title which you can ignore (he'atako hunter or whatever). I've only just started Iced Wall though, and so far it just seems a little bland, the worst thing was the ridiculous cube cost.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 1, 2015

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

TheBlandName posted:

Those cubes get refunded later (4-5 dungeons later?) in the quest chain. Right about when you need to start looking at awakening costs, actually.

That's good to know, I was looking at my cube stash and was happy on my progress towards awakening and thought the game decided to give me a giant middle finger.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Mavric posted:

Wait so are battle saders not worth the effort? I've seen people say everything from they are awful to they can do anything. I wanted to make a priest but they were the only subclass that interested me, but I don't really care to be a buff bot only.

From what I've seen of current battle saders, his post isn't including the Second Awakening stuff - Battle 'saders get some really radical stuff with their second awakening, it just might require a lot of leveling to get there. Apparently the whole point of the second awakening was to make battle saders more viable. However, a support sader + friends can curbstomp content at all levels pretty much. You may want to level with a friend to get most of your abilities first.

However, I'm not sure just how the whole 2nd awakening 'sader actually works out other than it /looks/ really fun, so I wish there was some more information on the actual build details.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 1, 2015

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I just hope the M. Fighter second awakening reworks give M. Brawler the love he deserves.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

DFlux posted:

Yeah Behemoth is pretty okay now. People are just mad about the first two dungeons. Ice wall is just meh, but there's nothing inherently bad about it.

I feel like the first two dungeons would be fine without low gravity. Floating space sharks are cool, but it's less cool when the slightest bump knocks you into the air for like 5 seconds.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Somefool posted:

So this image randomly pops up in DnF at the end of a dungeon:

I would like to think their English translator went insane.

In D&F, as in the korean version? Or GDFO?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

A Meat posted:

Man, Tower of the Dead is full of bullshit after like floor 40 or so, it becomes a reflex test whether you can escape from/kill/knock back the dudes who just want to combo you to hell as soon as the round starts.

Thankfully, it's actually kind of fun.

Unless you're an asura, in which case you just pop your cubes and instantly win.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Raruna posted:

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention that everything AFTER the Veiled Cutter mention is about the Male Ranger. Their main differences are that female Multi Headshot is disgustingly powerful, the trade off being that her Gun Dance isn't nearly as incredible as the Male's Wild Shot.

The Male focuses more heavily on shooting, the female gets huge bonuses for her kicks. The Male is the one with the Stylish passive that allows him to cancel between kick and shooting skills. In the future the female will get a passive that puts her on par with him, since she currently lacks something to make up for her lack of Stylish.

Personally I find female ranger easier than the male.

Here, these two videos should show you what's in store once they implement the 2nd Awakenings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UstmBGDGe2Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVQzc_rkGwE

The Male Ranger plays more or less the same, with the exception of the fancy Raven skills, the Female Ranger plays... really differently. She lacks the Chain Powder skill that allows her to modify skills to add a Gunblade effect to them, and her attacks work kinda differently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-4s2f5u4q8
This is more or less how she plays nowadays, except she gets the Veiled Cutter bonus on every single one of her kicks, Multi Headshot was changed to 9 shots instead of 7 and her awakening is only the finisher of the old awakening now.

Raruna posted:

Not at all. The bleed isn't there for damage, the bleed is there because some of her skills deal extra damage on Bleeding mobs.
Further, Veiled Cutter is good not because of the bleed(though that is nice), but because it adds an extra, very powerful hit to all of your kicks. For example: Topspin Kick at lv24 on my character deals 3 hits of 544%+3682. With Veiled Cutter at lv3, it adds an extra 3 hits of 1165% each. This is available on all of your kick skills regardless of how strong they are, making even Marylin Rose not worthless. Just a reminder that Bleed stacks in potency, not duration. Every stack from Veiled Cutter will have a duration of 4 seconds, no more and no less, unless you get accessories that change that, though I don't think there are any.

For her 2nd Awakening her passive is Saw Blades, which prolongs her bleed procs and allows her to deal extra damage to bleeding enemies regardless of the skill she uses. Once she obtains Chain Powder she'll be able to bleed enemies with several of her attacks.

Edit: As an addendum, before your Headshot and your Death by Revolver are strong, most of your damage will come from your kicks. And believe me, they do a LOT of damage. Just keep up the physical crit on your magic seals and you'll be destroying poo poo hardcore.

I rolled up a male ranger a day or two before you posted this, and have already got him to level 30, and am having a lot of fun.. with his kicks. :v: Oh well, too late now! It looks like M ranger has some fun stuff too, but windmill kick combos are just really entertaining for me for some reason. Plus, that gunblade.

What sort of cool stuff does m ranger do that F. ranger doesn't? It's suddenly looking like F. ranger gets tons of bleeds and gunblades and superkicks, but m. ranger gets.. some extra cancels and headshot autoattack.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 4, 2015

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Somefool posted:

M. Ranger excels at shooting. Technically M. Ranger has the better kicks because they all gain a split second of Super Armor while F. Ranger doesn't. This allows him to go into a large group and melee them all without worries of interruption. Wild Shot is also flat out the better skill compared to Gun Dance. Don't forget to read up on Stylish because it gives a variety of bonuses to a lot of skills that F. Ranger does not get.

Also not requiring poo poo to bleed first to deal more damage is a huge boon because it means you never have to perform certain skills first to maximize damage. A lot of his passives are just general damage increase so while it may not seem flashy, he's really strong by default.

edit: There is one more really good thing about M. Ranger, he doesn't need kick skills to be good. Because F. Ranger have several buffs relating to her kick skills, you might feel the need to have kick skills leveled. You'll run into SP issues doing this. M. Ranger can easily drop all kick skills to a minimum and still do fine with all his SP going into his gun related skills.

Stylish is something I'm still not quite sure how to use yet - if you cancel a melee skill into a gun skill it boosts it, but when I already have Triple Clutch to cancel windmill/mach kick into headshot I'm not actually noticing much of a difference - maybe I just need more kicks and shots to actually cancel?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Somefool posted:

edit3: Want me to sell you on M. Ranger?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm25edZuolc
Old video of M. Ranger when Stylish is first release and before 2nd awakens. This is what the gameplay looks like when you aren't blowing everything up with 1 skill. Note that he makes good use of maxed Buster for crowd control. Rangers can take advantage of a lot of pre-subclass skills.

:aaa: That boss combo at the end, hot drat.

And yeah, base gunner skills are what got me into trying Ranger in the first place despite originally planning on going something else when leveling up a gunner, as they seemed to be pretty much a extension of the same basic playstyle with kicks and combos, while mech/launcher and to a lesser degree spitfire go off and do their own thing.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
'beta' in this case pretty much just means that they're still testing/fixing a lot of things and as such there is no cash shop or any monetization in the game at all yet.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Level 30 is when I found myself really getting stupid, which is when you get the ice thing and the damage aura. Anecdotal, but the former seems to have a completely insane freeze chance and the aura costs trivial amounts of mana to upkeep. I had just done the 30-35 grind on my melee Exo a few days prior and the difference was staggering. At 35 you get your first cubes, one does a shitload of damage and the other is a hilariously stupid vacuum hold thing that also given you significant damage resistance so your teammates can blow everything up (this skill also does damage and can be cancelled into your 45 skill later on).

Actually, weirdly enough, Murderous Wave starts off being essentially free at rank 1, but then quickly becomes a giant black hole of mana that can keep you sucking down mana potions futilely as you sit at 0 mana. Maybe mana regen balances out eventually, but I left mine at rank 1 and ever since then I have never needed to use a single mana potion from level 30~ to 58. Haven't really missed the damage either - my other skills do way, way more damage anyway.

One thing that I didn't figure out until way too late though, is that Wave Radiation not only gives a Wave Manifestation, but also gives a stack of Mind Snap and refreshes the duration of the whole stack. Using Wave Radiation on CD can sustain a 5 stack of Mind Snap indefinitely, giving a huge int and mana regen buff at all times. At 58, my near permanent 5 stacks of manifestations and permanent 5 stacks of mindsnap gives me essentially +1000 int at all times.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I've heard M Mech is stronger right now, and they look pretty fun with second awakening, so I made one of those, since everyone on KDNF seems to hate F mech.

M Mech is pretty lame at low levels but i'm starting to feel the potential at 45 - it's just a constant tidal wave of explosions flowing forth and falling from the sky.

The main thing that convinced me though is this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BhdC_ikHes, the second awakening at 75 which is a lot of work to get, but.. it's pretty neat - you get two little permanent drones replacing the useless helicopter dude that follows you around, and instead of having to crouch down to drop robots, they rapidly float around the screen and teleport in robots without you ever having to stop moving or even move to the target, while reducing cooldowns dramatically too. Then you've also got the drones airdropping from the sky and shooting out of the sparrow factory, and the constantly summoned turrets, and the essentially permanent tempester firing barrages of missiles, and the second awakening cube that teleports in and kicks a lot of rear end, and it adds up to a whole lot of robot spam and explosions.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Apr 9, 2015

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
https://www.facebook.com/dfoglobal/photos/a.491544004306383.1073741828.477239829070134/670087609785354/?type=1&theater

Well - what could this be? I haven't heard about anything like this from people talking about KDNF

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

sentrygun posted:

I picked this up playing a Male Mage because they weren't around last time I played and have been having a blast, but when I tried playing a Priest it just feels extremely clunky getting in range of things to punch them instead of just shooting bullets everywhere. I used to play a Witch so all I ever did was jump around and spin forever, should I just stick to the Mages if I don't like how Priest feels or do the melee classes get better at actually making contact with enemies later on?

They all do, yes. Monk has tons of dashes and long-distance punches, as well as methods of vacuuming in enemies into your combos. Crusader has ranged attacks some of which can also immobilize. Physical exorcist has MASSIVE area of effects on all his melee attacks, using a gigantic axe, as well as being able to throw his massive axe and make it spin on the target, keeping them totally hitstunned and pulling them slightly towards you over several seconds. Magical Exorcist has ranged seals and gigantic area of effect circles that can cover essentially the entire room. Avenger can turn into a giant rolling sonic the hedgehog style buzzsaw and crash through the room, carrying everything with him, grab enemies, boost his movespeed, and can dramatically enhance the range of his attacks with devil strike, not that scythe attacks are particularly short range, and can murder things on the Y axis with Thorns, which hits like a truck.

Only base priest and perhaps very early level monk and crusader really has any issues with scooping up enemies to massacre all at once. Most of his classes probably end up noticeably stronger than male mage's Ele Bomber currently - They're revamping ele bomber, but it'll take a while for it to actually hit us. Crusader probably ends up the weakest as far as actual just pure killing power goes, but his support spells make him god tier anyway.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Turhis posted:

Everyone talking about how boring and lovely Iced Wall is but man, Ghent ain't no joke, I really hated those middle dungeons, the start was fun then the fun factory started dropping and fast, good thing midnight assault is fun again. And here is a picture summing my feelings about Ghent Battlefield.

You know if you go into the three side rooms with the two cannons and the tank, they don't spawn in the boss room and the boss is much easier, right?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Turhis posted:

Yes I figured that one out, doesn't help with the fuckyoubeam what DoubleWelp mentioned, you get hit by that while getting juggled by some other poo poo and its death.

You know, at this point I'm practically convinced that being an Asura is just cheating - I've only ever died once in Battlegrounds, and that was when I didn't kill the cannons/tank and didn't expect them to showed up. Rest of the time i just throw a couple of giant death waves at him and he just flops around without having a chance to hit me, yet alone use the giant orbital laser. Even on ultimate.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Eddain posted:

A Charged Spirit Crescent will clear out most rooms by itself, then Ice Wave Sword and Ghost Orb will kill most bosses immediately.

Then when you get Fire Wave you stop even having to pretend you're putting forth any effort.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

10 teardrops yesterday, putting me to 49%. With any luck I should have my weapon permanent within a week.

I hit the mushroom man boss with a 5-brand ghost orb and did less than half his health in damage at level 19. :saddowns:

Will play him a bit more heavily today once I burn my avenger's FP. But it's good to know that they just don't start out at full speed like Avengers did.

It's weird that the game doesn't have 2 step authentication. As dumb as the Goblin Pad was it did help some against hackers.

Mind Snap stacks matter a good amount too and you don't have them yet - once you have Mind Snap and Wave Radiation use Wave Radiation on cooldown pretty much to have 5 stacks of mind snap and 5 brands as much as possible. Plus, when you get TP skills at 50 there's a Wave Radiation one that makes it give 3 brands per use so you can use ghost orb even more often.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

NecroMonster posted:

That's what Dolls are for.

PS in case anyone isn't aware the dolls are loving awesome to have sometimes, even when heavily under leveled.

The starter 'average fighter' doll can survive in dungeons 30 levels above her without dying, and while her damage becomes a bit wimpy by that point she'll still pull tons of aggro and do tons of grabs and hitstun and is super helpful if you're on an especially weak subclass.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

cathead posted:

This isn't true. Avatar stats apply in PvP.

edit: also reinforcement applies up to +10, and you're given normalized stats based on the quality of your gear (i.e. purple/pink/epic). Set bonuses don't work.

I saw a video where someone measured and demonstrated the exact benefits from reinforcement in the current version of DFO pvp, and reinforcement on armor does literally nothing, and reinforcement on weapon from +0 to +11 is almost insignificant - like going from 15000 damage to 15300 damage. More interestingly, though, is that a +0 superior weapon will outdamage an otherwise identical +11 ordinary weapon by a noticeable amount. The most important single stat in pvp is weapon grade (and color, of course). Aim for superior pinks and reinforcement won't matter much at all. Getting a couple +es is some extra damage but it's definitely not worth going to +10 or higher. I'd say settle for +6 or 7.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Don't pc bangs and the big games people play there have some sort of business agreement anyway? I imagine it's just something as simple as he logged in with that account at that pc bang, and Neople keeps track of login statistics.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Nighthand posted:

I want to make a FMech for the assist but my brain literally shuts down out of boredom playing a gunner of any sort for the early levels. The only one I ever managed to play at all back in the Nexon days was during some event where they let you make one at level 50 or 60 or something.

That's sort of funny, because leveling a low level m. mech got me into the kicks and juggling things in the air enough that I rolled a m. ranger just so I could actually focus on them. Turns out F. ranger is the real kick specialist, but I just awakened my m. ranger and I've grown to love him anyway. I've got the M. Mech and the M. Ranger at about the same level and M. Mech, while pretty strong, just isn't as fun as Ranger. I still want to get him to max though, because 2nd Awakening M. Mech looks amazing.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is F. Ranger even good? The lack of Stylish seems pretty bad.

To be honest, it seems like m. rangers are the ones with the (slightly) shorter end of the stick - f. rangers get tons of bleeds and bonus damage to bleeding enemies, as well as the special gunblade skills instead of stylish and automatic headshot every sixth x. They're both similarly strong, but f. ranger's actually flashier.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Somefool posted:

It's one of your best skills once all your other wave skills drop off in terms of damage.

Jizz all over Ice Wave and Fire Wave all you want, but those skills fall off hard in end game dungeons.

By endgame, do you mean the Anton dungeons we don't have and the vast majority of us will never enter? or OV?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I didn't find m ranger too bad since windmill kick and grenade both hit ridiculously hard and are large aoes with short cooldowns. Early M. Mech I just ignored landrunner until I had enough secret landrunner for it to be worthwhile, and you can use Magic Conversion to make grenade and windmill kick scale with magic stats. Corona's good for just constantly hitstunning everything in front of you, and once you get viper it suddenly becomes more genuinely fun - even low leveled corona (I mostly don't level it due to tight SP at high levels, though i put 3 and 1 point in the other two G series respectively for the 50% damage boost per for corona) + viper is a massive amount of rapidfire bullets autofiring in the direction you're facing.

I tend to not find leveling 1-25 too bad honestly, you burn through FP and dungeons so fast at low levels that you'll empty your bar in like an hour or two. It's 40+ that starts to get really tiresome when you have lots of alts.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Shadow Render goes from 'godlike' to 'very good' at high levels anyway. Avenger's always super strong but it won't be a full heal button on a 6s cd any more in the very high levels. Your health, and enemy damage, scale up waaaay faster than Shadow Render lifesteal.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Could you clarify a bit? Is this CD reduction stuff on gear, skills or something else?

You can buy buffs in Altar of Infinity by holding the shift key to open a little menu. They're only until the end of the AoI run, though.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

sentrygun posted:

If I'm already trucking around an Elementalist that kills basically everything in one hit and can't get SSS ranks unless I hold back and do dumb stuff, would a Nen seem redundant or are they fun in their own way? I figure if Nen's too similar I might try out Grappler since Knight swapped from fun to 'chain rush feels like nonsense'.

Nen are pretty different, but if you want offensive power I'd recommend M. nen. F. Nen seem like they're essentially just really boring support in comparison, they've got weaker everything except for the electrocution status effect, in exchange for some stronger buffs and Nen Guard - however, the f. nen buffs last MUCH shorter so i hope you like constantly recasting buffs on your party! (though it's no crusader, at least)

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 26, 2015

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Somefool posted:

The irony is that F. Nen is one the best burst damaging class in the game and her version of higher level skills perform much better than M. Nen's version.

A "support" Nen is a huge waste of the class.

It's weird then just how much more boring f. nen look and apparently play - I've leveled with friends doing both, and m. nen looked strong and fun and lasted all the way to max level, while the f. nen eventually gave up out of frustration and boredom. Everything the f. nen did, the m. nen seemed to have either a better version or a less annoying version (like buffs that last four times longer, or self-replenishing nen balls, or higher damage nen shot). Is it just a thing where they suddenly pull out ahead at high levels? Because they certainly seemed way worse while leveling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

prinnylaharl posted:

Spiral Nen is replenished automatically on Female, males just get 2 extra orbs. Nen Shot damage on F. Nen is also apparently much higher than male's at 85. But males do get all of the good leveling tools earlier and better versions of them.

With second awakening F. Nen gains a giant loving kamehameha wave, can send out a new type of illusions and they just do insane damage while being able to charge the two roars and energy shield to gain extra damage on them, while having higher base damage on them as well.

My F.Nen is on hold at 50 currently, but 2nd awakening and the higher end gear is insane and the class is entirely different from what it is right now when we get access to all of it.

I was under the impression F. nen balls had to be cast manually and lasted a finite number of hits before expiring, while m. nen ones didn't - did they change this? That's how I remember it working when I tried playing one on the Nexon version anyway.

• Locked thread