Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

ColtMcAsskick posted:

Whoever was the leader in 1973 imo

http://youtu.be/emJyEa4z2Ec

I love that video, they're like a bunch of geezers at a wedding doing the disco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

gently caress England and gently caress the TMO. He was constantly looking for ways to gently caress over Fiji. gently caress.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

LimburgLimbo posted:

Jesus Christ, I can't believe I missed the Japan game.

Try and watch a replay if you can it's a good game. Again and again SA took a lead and it looked like it would be back to usual service when Japan clawed back and eventually got on top, really good spirit from them.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

LimburgLimbo posted:

Yeah someone posted the full game on youtube and I'm going to be watching it.

Of all the times for me to be away from Tokyo on business.

Ah, didn't realise you were Japanese. Congrats on pulling off the biggest upset in Rugby World Cup history, and you guys didn't even steal the game, you just won it outright!

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Real winner here is NH Rugby. Definitely showing up the pansy SH teams. 13 penalties, 2 tries, that's how it's done son.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

If you didn't love that match then you don't love rugby I guess

E: who needs tries when you have English tears?

Nah, that's bullshit. I'm happy about the result for sure, and I don't mind a good grinding game of Rugby where it's tough at the breakdown and it's low scoring. But this wasn't that kind of game. Just lots of penalties, bad execution, rubbish scrums. Name one aspect of the game of Rugby that was played well in this game apart from place kicking. Even the open play kicking was mediocre. Two bad teams.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Yet another mistake ridden game this RWC. The IRB should send all the teams to a psychologist conference. The Wallabies look like they're all trying way too hard and making stupid mistakes. Quade Cooper excepted, he's just being his usual moron self. What an idiot.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Love the ref telling the Uruguay front row not to step backwards. Shouldn't that just be a penalty? I mean, I know they're amateurs and all, but this is the loving world cup.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I'm vomiting a bit in my mouth writing this, but Beale's actually been pretty good this game.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

goatface posted:

They banned bagpipes from the stadiums. Yet we can hear bagpipes. Good job that pipe smuggler.

Why would you ban bagpipes and not loving sweet chariot? Also, I reckon there'd have to be more than one smuggler unless he's got a really big arsehole.

e: awww shucks

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

goatface posted:

Holy poo poo he made another kick.

Yeah, yet another dumb arse performance from good old Quade, complete with the obligatory yellow card. At least that should put to rest any chance he'll get the nod ahead of Foley. Foley's not great, but at least he's not a loving moron. Some consider QC the better kicker, but this should put that notion to rest.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Apollodorus posted:

Let's not get crazy here.

If rugby starts using those kinds of things I am switching to watching only NRL.

Mate, the NRL are taking it to a whole new level. They're introducing, starting next season, a TMO bunker that will provide expert TMO services to all the games centrally.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Mister Chief posted:

What was the match where Robshaw made a bad decision in regards to a penalty in the dying minutes?

The last one, against Wales. England had a penalty close to touch with a couple of minutes left and could have tied at 28. Instead Robshaw went for a lineout and the rest is history.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Mr Chips posted:

I dunno what the actual citation/ruling was, but for mine it was cleaning out the ruck by grabbing a player around the neck. If only that was enforced consistently, Quade Cooper and Schalk Burger would be cooling their heels regularly.

Ha ha, as if QC ever clears a ruck... He can't even make a normal tackle without going for the neck.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

hooman posted:

How many welsh players died in the last match?

Judging by fallingjoe and Tyma's avatars, it's a Schroedinger's cat situation.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

What a great game by the Wallabies, they finally look like they have a clue.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Scapegoat posted:

I dunno, they brought Phipps on.

Not even NZ have excellent depth at every position. At halfback for the ABs the gulf in quality between Smith and Perenara is pretty wide. I think Smith > Genia and Perenara > Phipps, but he's out 2nd halfback and it is what it is.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

stavros880 posted:

Joe Launchbury was Man of the Match :confused:
You would have thought that after scoring 2 tries, 3 conversions and 4 penalties, Foley would have got it, but nope....

Who the gently caress picks it? Prince loving Harry?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

Seriously, if Armitage wants to play for England, he knows what he needs to do. The coaches have communicated loud and clear what he needs to do. Simply put, the fact that he hasn't moved back to England, or at least tried to get out of his contract should be interpreted as him not being interested in test rugby for England. Simple as that. If he wants to have his cake and eat it too, he can gently caress off.

So anyway, if I had to narrow down England's loss today, it comes down to the following (in no particular order)

1. Mike Brown had a shocker - seriously, he was poo poo. Aside from a nice tackle early on, he was poo poo and loving worthless. I saw he got a 6 in the Guardian ratings, but, like, what loving game were they watching?

2. Selections - the only rationale I can see for Burgess' ongoing selection as a midfielder is sunk cost fallacy. He's loving garbage. And why was Farrell starting? All he does is 2 things: stand too deep telegraphing that he's going to kick the ball down the field and something hilariously stupid. He didn't disappoint on either count.

3. Poor decision making - best summed up by Watson booting the ball away out on the full at like 20 or so minutes to go. You're 7 behind, you've got 20 minutes to score at least 8, what the CUNTING gently caress are you doing kicking the ball away?

4. No leadership on the pitch - Robshaw as captain looked like a man alone out there, with no leaders on the field to support him. When you look at the other teams, they all have on-field leaders. Note, plural. The 1999 Wallabies side had John Eales, David Wilson, George Gregan and Tim Horan. The 2003 England side had the likes of Martin Johnson, Neil Back, Richard Hill, Lawrence Dallaglio, Matt Dawson, Jonny Wilkinson, Will Greenwood and Jason Robinson. The 2007 Springboks team had John Smit, Juan Smith, Schalk Burger, Victor Matfield, Fourie du Preez and Percy Montgomery. The 2011 All Blacks team had Richie McCaw, Piri Weepu, Kieran Read, Ma'a Nonu, Conrad Smith, Brad Thorn, Jerome Kaino and Keven Mealamu. The point is, a winning team needs a leadership group on the pitch along with the captain. Who has Robshaw got to help him out there? It's easy to say "gently caress the captain," but stop and think about the circumstances he had to work within. This also ties into the previous point. Where was the backline leader saying "whoa, hey, let's not kick the ball away, you dumb gently caress."

5. Poor ball security - even taking into account the presence of Hoopcock, England kept knocking the ball on in or near the Aussie 22, killing their chances.

6. #ScrumStraightJoe - it loving worked.

Actually, England lost because Australia played very well. Perish the thought!

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Is there any chance Robbie Deans will be the new England coach? How I miss the days of seeing him die a little more inside with each game :allears:

If English Rugby had any brains they'd take him, but they won't of course because he's not English. Deans wasn't nearly as bad a Wallabies coach as he was made out to be, I think he was maligned by the press here for being a Kiwi, but when you look back at his results, with the players he had and the selection policy he wasn't bad at all, certainly better than McKenzie who was politicking heavily for his job for the last two or three years of his tenure. I'd certainly pick him over Lancaster who showed no imagination and looked out of depth with his selections and with the way his team played. Do you think that under Deans England would have had this little leadership on the field? Apart from that Deans was a real gentleman, did a huge amount of work supporting grass roots Rugby in Australia and in my opinion, set the basis for the Aussie scrum improvements that culminated in last night's win. The whole Dingo Deans crap does Aussie Rugby fans no credit at all.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Byolante posted:

Calling for a citing on that looks like a welshman trying to find a route to victory against a superior side through any means necessary

Agreed, that's pretty weak poo poo...

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

HappyCamperGL posted:

It's also a silly argument because even if they did the draw more recently Argentina were outside the top 8 for the last couple of years. Ireland were out the top 8 just two years ago too. Which could have had just as tough a group.

There are enough good teams that groups of death are likely. This is a good thing as it comes from there being more competitive teams.

This is a good point. Bottom line there are 8 "top tier" teams, NZ, Aus, SA, Arg, Fra, Eng, Wal and Ire. All you need is for one of those teams to slip out of the top 8 whenever the draw is done and you have "GROUP OF DEATH". Now that Argentina's a proper top tier side (if they can beat SA and Aus, you bet they can beat any NH team having a mediocre day), you're almost always going to have this. And this is a good thing, not a bad one. There wouldn't be this much gnashing of teeth if Wales or Aus dropped out of the group, it's just England are feeling doubly entitled since they're hosting and they're, well, England.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

DickEmery posted:

Has everyone forgotten that New Zealand choked the poo poo out of every World Cup outside of New Zealand?
They nearly hosed up the last one until Joubert handed them the final.

I actually think this side are heavier favourites than Henry's first stint up to 2007 and they were the best team that's ever played the game.
Mainly because everyone else has been poo poo but even so it's still 50/50 that they'll be coming home empty handed.

I don't think this NZ side will choke. They might possibly be beaten on the night by a team that finds it within themselves to rise above their level, but it will not be NZ playing badly. This team has a huge amount of experience and have been through the whole cycle of losing and then winning the world cup. They remind me of the Australian cricket team of Warne, McGrath, Gilchrist, etc. (though, admittedly there are fewer cunts in this ABs team than the Aussie cricket team, still, Savea). I suspect (and hope) that once this generation of players retires or cashes in (Carter, Nonu, C Smith, McCaw), there'll be a (relatively) big drop in results, even though at face value, NZ are still churning out the best quality players. There's more to winning this consistently than just playing quality.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

a pipe smoking dog posted:

You suck at watching rugby.

So true, that was one of the best Rugby games I've ever watched. Certainly the best try-less game ever.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

As a neutral, it sucked a poo poo. At least the Ireland v. Wallabies game from 4 years ago had a comedy Cooper meltdown to compensate for the lack of tries.

Yeah, because that's what makes Rugby games good to watch...

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

DickEmery posted:

Not a fan of tackling then?

Exactly, it's not like it was a broken game because both teams sucked and kept dropping the ball and being bad. Sure, there were some mistakes, but mostly it was some really good hard Rugby from both sides, neither giving an inch, both fit as gently caress and not breaking down. That was a bloody good game of Rugby.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realise we were obliged to lavish your precious Wallabies with praise after every win, and that any criticism of the team they had just beaten is verboten, lest it even slightly devalue said victory.

Nothing to do with praise for the Wallabies, just funny how you keep bringing up Quade Cooper every time they are mentioned, he wasn't even on the bench in this game. I guess when he kneed Sir in the head, he kneed the whole nation.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

stavros880 posted:

Loving the old school scrum half for Japan. Only 5'5", none of this Mike Phillips wannabe flanker bullshit.

He's no mug either, played for the Highlanders (SR Champions 2015) last year, behind Aaron Smith.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

goatface posted:

Scotland are basically the worst.

Poor man's England.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

goatface posted:

At least England were decent enough to get knocked out.

I did say "Poor Man's".

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Vaders Jester posted:

Jonny Gray and Ross Ford have both been cited by an "independent" Australian citing offical for dangerous tackles in the Samoa game.

If found guilty, Scotland will be even more catastrofucked than they already are against Australia.

Seriously? They got an Aussie citing commissioner to review Scotland's game before they play Australia? That's hosed up. It's not fair to the commissioner, to Scotland, or even to Australia. Why not just let some other guy do it? Is World Rugby short of people who know the rules and can watch a video?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Vaders Jester posted:

No one is going to be happy with Garcès as the ref.

Yeah, I guess the RFU pulled some strings to poo poo on Poite for refereeing the scrum properly.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Painkiller posted:

The whole citing/ban system is bullshit. Players can be cited under different laws for similar actions, and then different panels give out different ban lengths for the same citations.

Agreed. Also, the way they break it into two phases, first the citation and then the hearing, just adds another layer of arbitrariness to the whole thing. Sam Burgess didn't even get to a hearing for his high tackle, neither did Pocock, etc. But once you're in a hearing there is a huge range of penalty and that too is arbitrary. I'm sure that any non-biased analysis after the WC will show the small teams were treated far more harshly.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

ColtMcAsskick posted:

If there's any reason Australia will lose it's going to be their play style clashing with Craig Joubert's interpretation of the rules.

I don't know, Joubert likes to keep the ball in play and penalises ruck underhandedness. That feeds into the way Australia like to play. Against Wales we got some ruck penalties from him that won us the game. Genia's yellow was blatant cynical play (he admitted so himself), and Mumm's, while pretty soft, was probably for repeated infringements.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

ColtMcAsskick posted:

From what I recall Craig Joubert hands penalties out like candy. May just be the teams he refs though. I still would have preferred someone else

Yeah, he does, but I think that will work in our favour. We'd prefer to play fast Rugby against Scotland and they'll be trying to slow us down at the ruck. Joubert hates that sort of thing and it usually benefits Australian teams that rely on speed (since we don't have a good kicking field kicking game).

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Schlesische posted:

As someone who was born into Brumbies Rugby, I can holistically deny that Joubert gives Australia any advantage by allowing us to play a smoother flowing game.
In fact, the opposite. He has a long and storied history of levying infractions at the Australian scrum like he's some kind of cartoon baboon with poo poo. Same with Poite.

Unless one of them has radically changed their view on how scrums, rucks and mauls should be penalised.

I'm not saying Australia don't do... well we suck at scrums. But it's typically exacerbated by teams who recognise that you can win 5m with the scrum or you can 50 with the penalty.

I suspect the general view on our scrum has changed since Poite did his scrum swivel penalty against England: https://youtu.be/oHjHRD5MK0s?t=206

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

pff the southern hemisphere wishes they had a competition as noble and prestigious as the six nations

Maybe we can let the winner of the 6N play in the RC the next year.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Apollodorus posted:

Maybe the 6N countries could...take some kind of...tour...to the RC countries next June in order to...test...how well they...match up against them. A "rugby tour" featuring "test matches," if you will. Or maybe even sooner than that, the RC countries could likewise have a "tour" to Europe.

Clearly that hasn't helped.

On a more serious note, NH needs to look at it's style of Rugby. The fact that Australia, in which Rugby is the 4th or even 5th sport in terms of drawing talent (there's League, AFL, Cricket and now Soccer ahead of it), and is perennially close to bankruptcy, manages to keep being generally better than the NH teams should be an indication that conservative Rugby just isn't cutting it. I'm not saying this to crow about Australia being good, we're not particularly good, as evidenced by the Scotland game, and I expect us to lose the final if not the semi.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

tarbrush posted:

A year ago Australia was a shitheap that couldn't beat most pacific islands, three weeks ago South Africa was on the wrong end of the biggest upset in WC history then barely scraped by a Wales side that was picking subs from the stands, and Australia just scraped by Scotland (Scotland!) on a bad penalty call. This isn't the death of NH rugby, it's a confluence of freak events and the bad reffing die coming up in favour of the SH sides.

English and French rugby need to take a long hard look at their priorities, particularly when you look at Australia's success with flexing their "play in Aus" rule, but they don't need to fundamentally alter how they do rugby.

Rubbish, a year ago Australia were playing like poo poo, fell to 6th (only 6th) in the world and still managed to beat France 3 times in Australia, and Wales in Wales. We're not even that much better than we were then, sure Cheika's instilled some spine, but it's still 80% the same group of players. Wales have a great group of players, but all they could think of doing against Australia is crash the ball through the middle. England have the biggest player base and the most money and all they can think of doing is crash the ball through the middle and get scrum penalties. The way NH teams play is at the root of all this. Just compare SR to the NH comps (where Australian teams are among the weakest, BTW).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Apollodorus posted:

Sorry I am kind of losing the plot here, the point is, at their theoretical highs there are at any given time three teams from the Six Nations that are as good as or better than the Springboks, Wallabies, or Pumas at their own theoretical highs.

Australia's record since the turn of the millenium against England, Wales, France and Ireland is 44-23-2, and we're the third best SH team.