Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
7 days to lawsuit day everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

lol this isn't going to happen. Nothing major is going to happen with Star Citizen and the people against it, lets be honest here. The game will live or die entirely on its own. Probably die.

Then it will at least be Derek awkwardly tries to explain why the goalposts are moving day.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

:oldman:

or :BDSSE:

?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

Eh, let's face it. Even if the game comes out and blows everyone's socks off with how good it is, there's just no way to peak... whatever this is.

Sliding up behind Operation Pitchfork and subjecting them to un-consensual PvP would rank pretty highly though.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Two days to lawsuit/moving goal posts day!

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Yup, pretty much. But they're all in denial because, well, bogeyman and all. Wait until my next blog - which cleared legal last week - hits on Tuesday. They're really going to be mad.

Is the lawsuit going to hit the same day?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
In case anyone thinks that their arbitration clauses and no class action provisions won't hold, take a good read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/01/business/dealbook/arbitration-everywhere-stacking-the-deck-of-justice.html?smid=tw-bna&_r=0

A money quote

quote:

In 2014 alone, judges upheld class-action bans in 134 out of 162 cases

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LCL-Dead posted:

Blog blocked at work. :(

It's just a recap of this thread and his twitter feed. There's nothing new in it.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The French Army! posted:

What the hell is gamergate anyhow? I don't follow any of this gaming garbage because I'm an adult with real hobbies, but a TLDR would be nice.

It's whatever you want it to be.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

Traffic rank of RSI will be interesting to watch in the next couple of months. Hard to know how much of this is a picture of organic popularity vs. other factors (website redesigns, Google algorithm changes, etc...) But it is interesting to note that traffic had already dropped pretty notably before Derek Smart started his crusade in July.... (But on the bright side, RSI maybe got a nice bump on the Escapist story in October!)

Any way to track their YouTube video views?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

neonbregna posted:

Ketchup is for literal man babies that need sugar poured on everything. Real men use these.

Except whatever flavor those exxxxxxxxxxtreme sauces have, it's lost when it just feels like you are eating liquid knives. Spicy is good, spicy to the point of not being able to taste any other part of your food is reserved for lovely wing places.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Does the DickWulf have any IRL friends that he didn't buy?

https://twitter.com/CaptainZyloh/status/668895051733336064

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

comatose posted:

Thats a fine looking movie trailer.

Jesus, what is with the grouper faces.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

I see someone else is trying to make the connection.

Here's the thing: that's what lawsuits are for. We get to find out which aliases (if any), accounts etc they've posted under. And if the judge grants it, attorneys get to send in forensic IT people to go image all their devices, computers etc. This happens all the time; especially in legal action that revolves around stuff like this.

You also get to send subpoenas to all ISPs, social media etc for all their communications. Usually they will petition the judge to refuse it, but according to attorneys, those tend to fail quickly since judges recognize that in this digital age, most nefarious poo poo is done online.

Except that you also need a compelling reason for what you're requesting, you don't just get to say "hey man I lawsuit u, gimmie all the poo poo". If you're suing over enforcement over the TOS you'll get to ask for communications directly relating to that subject and no more, poo poo posts on reddit probably wouldn't make the cut. Also, dispatching forensic IT people is pretty rare in most litigation unless you're the fuzz. Also, you don't get anything first. In fact you wouldn't even be the one that send in the IT guys, the defendant will (you'll end up paying for it though), and even then they get to review everything before you even have a chance to see it since forensic searches turn up 99% extraneous poo poo.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Eonwe posted:

im dying

I like how she's listed first in the IMDB importance ratings.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

That's obvious. But thanks for educating those who have never been involved in lawsuits before.

That would depend on a specific cause of action in the complaint and whether or not the judge lets it stand. If there is a defamation or similar cause of action, it's all covered under cause.

And I never said anything about suing over a ToS being the reason for this request. You did.

False.

I have done it twice. I know of several lawsuits in which they have been done. In fact, practically every big case you read online and in which material was disclosed, obtained this information from this sort of reveal, and not discovery (which is prone to shenanigans) whereby you ask nicely and hope they provide the material requested, don't taint the evidence etc.

False.

I have been involved in two lawsuits between 2010 and 2012 in which we (my attorneys) filed for it, the judge granted it. Then the attorneys sent in a third-party (Asset Control, Inc) to do it. They had a judge signed sub-poena. They went to the party, got it all done etc. They billed the attorneys, who paid for it, then billed my retainer account.

False.

The attorneys got to see it first, filtered through what they needed, then provided me (and the court) with the pertinent data.

So you're saying you got all of the defendant's data without them going though it for privilege first? You got personal info, attorney-client communication, extraneous trade secrets, etc.. and the judge was like, what's privilege, cool man, whatever.

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 30, 2015

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

They've gone full Nukem.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Agreed. Also, I think they've reached the saturation point now and they know it. Hence the cash grab type sales. I firmly believe that Q4/15 is the funding Hail Mary. We just have to wait and see.

They'll get another huge boost the month they release the ability to un-melt on your own. Then I guess it's just hanger sales when ships become ready from there on out.

I think the worst thing is the thought of making people play sitting in those chairs.

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 1, 2015

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Someone should start a completely faux-serious "CIG's office furniture is the best" thread on Reddit and see if anyone catches on.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Public speaker extraordinaire will be present at The Game Awards and showing off a new trailer for his human/grouper hybrid simulator.

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/672218506511912960

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mirificus posted:

Why would they take it down?

Because we've always been at war with Eastasia.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Fun reddit thread going.

Guy is upset about the "limited" "flash-sales" for the Idris and Jav.

Apparently the extra steps you have to go though to use store credit to buy them slows you down enough that the "limited number" of JPEGs gets sold before you can complete checkout. He's upset because that makes the flash sales new cash only.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Make sure you get the head out when you try to remove Constellations. You don't want to get an infection.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

Stuff like this is what puts me off WH40K, it veers too close into 4th Stimpire territory. Why would anyone continue to fight for these rulers, they don't seem that much better than the Chaos they claim to protect humanity from. The guys that come out looking least evil are those mecha dudes and they still plan to genocide humanity through sterilization. Might as well embrace Chaos and to hell with everything.

Instead of Chaos, the better question is why don't they join the Tau.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

quote:

D_Smart posted:

INN contacted me. No further action. All they've done is add this to their post:

Told you so.

Yup

So basically they're saying that the emails aren't credible. And if they're not credible, they're saying you're lying about them.

But you see we're not saying the emails are not not credible just that they aren't a valid source for any news article that's lying, but we're not saying the author is lying, just that he's lying about the not not credible emails even though they may be credible but not.

-

It's the most tortured bizarre "correction" I've seen. It right up there with Dan Rather's totally fake but real Bush Natl. Guard letters. I think that someone else that mentioned it is probably right, and that it was communicated to them that this wasn't an avenue they wanted to pursue.

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 15, 2016

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Thronde posted:

90 percent of all poses will be Female Sexy standing 1/2/3/etc. 5 percent will be Male, arms crossed frowning, the last 5 Man/Woman purring/mewing/furrycon

Doubt me? Spend a half hour on Drozana station in Star Trek Online.

CIG could restore a lot of faith if they included fire extinguishers and deployable disco balls.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CrazyLoon posted:

I see Star Citizen attracts a wide diversity of neckbeard.

And a group of rooms that have never seen the touch of a woman.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

... a real ship you are piloting in space.....

Sorta, it's more like you're literally playing space planes with the roll to turn and no yaw movement like you're flying a plane in the air.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lacin' up the Nike's, waitin' for the spaceships.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

At some point there will be a critical threshold over which the community will no longer tolerate their failures. I wonder what the tipping point will be.

That point isn't until full on bankruptcy.

"The feature I most want has been cut, since I can somehow accept that they can do anything and I'll be OK"

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So now can we start a new sq42 only thread now that it's not one game anymore apparently, but two separate ones you have to buy?

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/42rntj/in_one_week_star_citizen_and_sq42_will_be/

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So what's the next feature to fall to Backpedal, Delay, Hand-wave away?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So when the poo poo really hits will we get some sort of faux apology/plea for more money from Chris or is everything just going to go dark?

Fake Edit: Here's how far down the rabbit holes goes. FanFic about the in universe Star Marine Cancellation.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/433nmb/original_systems_announces_star_marine_delay/

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Yes, the issue with the govt - as I've stated before - is that 1) they take their sweet time and probably won't get to it until it's all over 2) we won't be privy to any of the information that backers are entitled to because Fed action is not the same as a private or class action - they won't tell you poo poo if you're not part of the action

Yes, myself or anyone can sue them over Star Citizen but as attorneys (even the two that contacted me and offered to help pro bono) have said, we run the chance of it being tossed out of State or Fed court and into arbitration due to the ToS. In my case, since they have NO evidence that I ever agreed to their new ToS, having never - ever - played the game or done anything that resulted in my agreeing to said ToS, I do have a case. But a slim one.

So the choice is either :

1) sue in State or Fed court and run the risk of it being tossed to arbitration as per Star Citizen ToS. waste of time and money. bad.

2) then (as per above) in arbitration, show enough cause to get it tossed back into State or Fed court. waste of time and money. bad. going back to #1 is good.

3) sue Chris for defamation, make RSI/CIG a party to the suit and add a litany of causes of action related to Star Citizen.

4) wait for the whole thing to collapse. now there are so many reasons (aka "Cause Of Action") to sue either in arbitration, State, Fed court because now we're talking about the collapse of a $106M+ project; which is still shy of the $150M+ collapse of 38 Studios and which reached a crescendo of legal shenanigans only because the State had $75M invested in it.

There are other options which I am not at liberty to discuss. But at the end of the day, I have always maintained that I have no intentions of giving up unless and until they 1) give people the refunds they asked for 2) they provide the financial accounting they promised

In the US, you don't need a plausible reason to sue someone. I could walk into court today, and for less than $500, sue them for a laundry list of things. They will attempt to get it tossed. And if they succeed, they can petition for their legal costs etc.

The legal system is hosed. Which is why a company like this can do shady poo poo like the ToS shenanigans - and get away with it for a long as they can.

Have you considered setting some money aside so that you can pick up some of that sweet restoration hardware furniture at their liquidation sale?

Also what's the over/under on them fleeing the country?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thing is though they don't have to announce cutting ships. They just have to not provide any updates, just like they're doing now.

So what's the bet on how it shakes out? I'm betting they'll do the Derek and announce that the PU has been pushed back indefinitely and only work on SQ42. I wonder if any shell company shenanigans will happen and CIG USA goes under leaving Foundry 42 with the remaining cash?

Also, the 38 Studios comparison is funny because they actually managed to release a decently well reviewed game before hey went belly up.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

EightAce posted:

You'll see. Two weeks

How can I prove myself without getting either myself or other developers in the poo poo

Easy, just do a SAMart verification. Just take an inconspicuous picture of the office with a PAAAAAAAAAAARP in the picture somewhere.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

...The only thing that’s going to benefit this project right now, is for legal action to provide answers and remedies before it all collapses. There is simply no other way out of this that I can see.

Or some employee or ex-employee can just sack up and let all the info they have out into the open.

Or a group of people could collectively sack up and go to someone like the WP (who did the wonderful Amazon story) and see if you can get someone in main stream journalism to pick the story up. It would be fun to see shitizens try to twist themselves on knots trying to downplay a major media org breaking a story.

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 2, 2016

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I Greyhound posted:

I wonder how much it costs for a movie trailer campaign? Maybe that's the big idiocy hinted by EightAce? They're dropping like tens of millions on trailer ads for a game they're studiously not making because they're too busy planning out the trailer for it?

Think bigger, Why not just spend all the money and put a Superbowl ad out?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bootcha posted:

I suppose my angle is I am interested in the welfare of both ex and current employees, and as I stated before these people do not have the means or financial capability to defend themselves against a libel/slander/espionage lawsuit. If CIG is willing to contest a UK civil suit against a goon trying to get a refund, you can bet your rear end they will throw personal and backer money at a lawsuit against a former employee. A court is a frightening place against someone who will do anything to ensure you cannot work in the video games industry ever again.

The best way is as it stands: Verified bombshells from protected sources from time to time, that stack up as evidence against CIG until such time someone turns it into a full fledged shitstorm lawsuit with CIG as the defendant. Or until CIG does something REALLY stupid, and the worm turns completely.

No one is even bothering to throw verified bombshells though, it's just all wink wink, nod nod. I mean poo poo, if there's even beginning to be borderline illegal stuff going on why doesn't someone give information to someone that can actually take some sort of action.

The people I feel bad for is the guy who posts up his reddit thread of "Hey just checked out this Star Citizen thing, I'm buying in for $1k" because he doesn't know any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

This makes me legit uncomfortable.

He's like a sadder version of Steve Carrel in the 40 Year Old Virgin.

• Locked thread