Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic that the executions are completely optional. There's not way you don't get sick of seeing the same animation over and over again a la DE:HR. If it's something that I can use once or twice a level whenever I'm feeling up to it, and ignore it the rest of the time and play Doom normally then great.

They are. You stagger an enemy by dealing a bunch of damage to it and then you can just keep shooting til it goes down if you want, or move in and finish it off. Glory kills are contextual based on where you're aiming at on the monster's body. So if you're loking at it's head you might punch its face off, or if you're looking down at it's legs you might kick it's legs out from under it and stamp on its head. You apparently are awarded with a bit more ammo/health drops from a glory kill as opposed to a regular kill.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I'd definitely love to remake E1M1 in SnapMap.

Why? Especially when,

Zaphod42 posted:

From what they've shown it looks pretty drat good. You can do all kinds of things.

Why would you want to make a shoddy remake of something you can go and play whenever you want already, when you could go and make something original? Marty Stratton already said you probably won't be able to recreate classic Doom levels in snapmap.

Also for those worried about microtransations in general - https://twitter.com/DCDeacon/status/695386456747962368 - A direct response from Pete Hines to the question "Is Doom going to have microtransactions?" Answer: "No."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Dude do you not know E1M1? Its loving E1M1.

No poo poo. And if I want to play it, I'll go boot up Zdoom and play it.

Zaphod42 posted:

I already posted a twitter link confirming this. We already knew it.

You posted a twitter response saying obliquely that hack modules would not be available via microtransactions, and people were apparently still unsure. The tweet I linked was a broader denial of any microtransctions in the game at all.

Zaphod42 posted:

stop acting like you're an expert on a game that isn't out yet.

I'm not "trying to act like an expert", but I have seen every bit of media about this game torn apart on the Doomworld forums over the last couple of months, I've seen every argument here posted there more than once and every bit of information turned over every which way it can be by a bunch of people far more obsessed than I am. So, expert? probably not. But I have as much information about it as anyone else who isn't a journalist or id software dev who's actually played the game. Excuse me for chipping in to a conversation.

Black Baby Goku posted:

The worst part about Retard 4 is how slow it looks. Also regenerating health, cover based gameplay, poo poo multiplayer with more than likely pay to win elements lol, power ups based on preorders, piss filters, QTES, bad enemy design, it probably has a story, and he'll just about everything else

Uneffective troll is uneffective. If you bothered to actually look at any of the media you'd find that literally everything you just said was false. I guess "bad enemy design" is subjective.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Plan Z posted:

Hopefully the aliens are a bit more easily-differentiated this time around, though. If they plan to have a mixture of them, I really don't want that Doom 3 issue of every enemy being some tan-colored copy of another.

From everything we've seen so far, this is the case. There's a lot of distinct designs among the various demons.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

YOURFRIEND posted:

and it's alienated people who actually for some reason do give a poo poo about Doom by not being Doom-y enough.

Where are you getting this from? Most of the guys at Doomworld seem to love it, apart from the very few spergs who want a 1:1 remake of Doom 1.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Broose posted:

When do I get to use my beta code that I got with my pre-purchase of Wolfenstein: TNO?

Well you've missed two chances to get into the Multiplayer alpha already, but go here to redeem your code and you'll get an email next time they're doing something. They weren't taking the entire beta pool for the alphas, just a selection of players. Everyone who has a beta code redeemed will get access to the beta (which will be "closer to release") though.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Good news is we know from the cover art that the game does have a double-barreled shotgun. Although bad news is if you can't move as fast, its inherently less good.

Running up to guys and blasting them point blank with the SSG was a decent strategy in the alpha. Might need to put a rocket in them on the approach to soften any armour they had, but it was a really heavy hitter up close.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Looks like there's far less enemies that have ranged attacks, and possibly zero enemies with hitscan attacks? If so then the slower movement speed isn't as much of a liability to the SSG because you can get into and out of melee range with less danger.

It's been confirmed there are Possesed guys with shotguns, as well as possibly machineguns and chaingunners.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Hm, nuts. Well, it still depends upon how the fights are staged, which enemies are used where.

Could be effective then to pick off the chaingunners from range then run around SSG slapping the imps and pinkies after that. Or the SSG could still be good against chaingunners as long as they give us lots of cover when they do use chaingunners.

Well from the various interviews I've seen, they put a lot of thought into exactly that. How each different enemy changes the dynamic of a fight, what kind of architecture would help/hinder the player, how the player might want to move around the area while fighting various things. I think Marty mentioned how you might develop a strategy against a certain type of enemy, but then later you won't be able to do the same thing because a new type of enemy is stopping that, so you need to rethink.

E: If they can pull it off, I think we'll get a bunch of fight scenarios like Action Movie fight scenes. Think John Wick - the protagonist moving around through a sea of enemies picking off the ones he can, prioritising threats and stunning others to finish later.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

You also have to remember that Doom 3 had pretty low texture resolutions, which did not help the "meltyness" you're describing.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

loga mira posted:

I don't think D3 used gray scale heightmaps, at least not on important objects. I remember looking through the game's resources, they were just zip files as with Q3, and slowly figuring out how it all worked. That was before I had a stable Internet connection too. Looked like wizardry at the time.

Yeah D3 uses up to four layers of textures. Diffuse, Normals, Specular(?) and a seperate diffuse map which renders fullbright in any condition, allowing for the textures that light up in the darkness.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

The original BFG is entirely deterministic and fairly simple once you know what it's doing.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

For people who like Doom 3, and like Doom WADs, check out RTC 3057. Make sure to check the read-me and use the version of Zdoom it specifies, since some later versions broke compatibility with some of the scripting it uses.

E: I should warn people: this is not a "classic" Doom level pack. It's one of the more complex Wads ever released.

Made by the same folks who are making Doom 3: Phobos.

/shameless plug

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

These both actually look pretty cool, I'll download em and check it out after work.

Shameless plug means you worked on these, right? Nice dude. Or are you just a fan?

Yeah I'm part of that team (I don't do any actual mapping though because I'm bad at that). I just did testing for RTC3057.

Phobos isn't done yet, and won't be before Doom '16 comes out, but it will be awesome. It's more than just new maps, we've overhauled most of the weapons, fixed nearly every complaint I've seen in here (weak shotgun, bad sounds etc). It's a real blast to play, and the guys making the maps and setting up the fights are really good at what they do. And we have a goddamn arachnotron.

Old teaser from a couple years back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUIbbVeLl2g

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 19, 2016

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I have heard it works more like cods/fps melee button stuff. its just a longer animation kill.

You have heard wrong. Zaphod is correct, glory kills are contextual based on where you're looking when you start it.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Its funny how you can't remember the exact name of the gun you literally quoted the guy talking about.

Also you could load 6 rockets (or grenades!) into that launcher.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Yes. Grab Doom.wad, Doom2.wad, Plutonia.wad or TNT.wad and chuck them into the directory with chocolate doom's exe. Do it one at a time and it'll autodetect them just fine, otherwise use a shortcut with the "-iwad whatever.wad" commandline switch.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Tempus Rimeblood posted:

Speaking of Doom mods, has anyone gotten mods to work with Doom 3: BFG Edition? I've been wanting to run this old DungeonDoom mod I found, but apparently BFG Edition was incompatible with code mods at launch...

BFG edition is a PC port of the console port of the PC version of Doom 3. The engine works in fundamentally different ways in some areas from the original and you'll find a hell of a lot of mods just straight up will not support it. I know Phobos doesn't. Get yourself a copy of the original if you wanna use anything but the most basic mods.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Tempus Rimeblood posted:

If you can find the Doom64 WAD, ZDoom and GZDoom should have what you're looking for, especially if you throw in one of the hi-res model packs.

There's also a sourceport that took Doom/Doom 2 into full 3D, with polygonal models and everything, but I'm not sure which port that was.

That port is called Doomsday, BTW.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Mung Dynasty posted:

I own the Doom novels and a few of the pewter figurines from Reaper Miniatures, as well as the poster that came in the Master Levels box. I'd love to know what else is out there (besides the obviously available stuff on Bethesda's store).

If you don't have a copy of the comic your collection is woefully incomplete.

Only comic book I own. :colbert:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

The toaster thing was confirmed fake, btw.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I've seen all of those videos before :ohdear:

Fun fact: SMMU, the source port with the Ascii mode, stands for Smack My Marine Up.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

SPACE HOMOS posted:

UT has a translocator and double tapping movement keys to dodge. Doom has running fast and fun. Quake has running and jumping fast plus good grenade launcher sounds.

This Doom has a translocator too :ssh:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

It was always really obvious that Treyarch focused more on the Multiplayer in their COD games over the campaigns. the MP in the Blops series is some of the best in the franchise, but the campaigns are a hilarious mess. Especially the last two.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

The earlier footage of in-development doom 4 looked like so much call of duty.

There's a reason they scrapped that entire project and started over.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

This is the gospel truth. I was baffled by how hard it was to find a source port that was just "vanilla Doom".

What you are looking for is Chocolate Doom. Designed to stay as true to vanilla as possible while removing certain limits and generally being compatible with new systems.

Prenton posted:

I remember playing that Knee Deep in ZDoom mod that came out years back that spectacularly missed the point of Phobos Anomaly, and have been suspicious of any "It makes Doom play like how you remember it being is as a kid!!!!" mods since then.

The people who organised KDIZD were idiots and the whole thing was a huge mess.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

There's a new short trailer showing off some of the multiplayer maps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHEFeZB7Lcc

Some of them look visually really good, give me great hope the campaign will have equally good design.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah we don't really know much about the variety of prefabs in snapmap yet.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

The way I've seen it described, it lets you make completely new game modes wholesale, like Forge. So if the base game doesn't have Deathmatch or whatever, you can create it in Snapmap.

From what I've read snapmap stuff has a 4 player limit though.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Beta isn't supposed to start until the 31st, so I figure that was a mistake.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

can someone make a new actual doom game.

This is that.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

khwarezm posted:

That guy looks like Bryan Cranston.

Glad I'm not the only one who saw that.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

In MP you need to get a player down to low health (not sure on the exact figures) to do a glory kill on them. They're pretty quick, but I don't think you get any invulnerability.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

I mean come on guys I agree that the power suits and loadout systems are definite ripoffs of halo everything else in the gameplay shown here reminds me very much of quake 3, with the big omission of bounce pads and launchers.

Jump pads are definitely a thing, there are a couple in the Heatwave map. Probably no huge launchers that fling you across the map like some Q3 maps though.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm not saying they have to strictly do only what Doom 1/2 did. Its just they went for more of a Halo thing than a Quake thing and that's lame since we don't get Quake games anymore but we have plenty of Halos and CODs on the market right now we could buy if we want that experience.

Yeah how dare they draw on games that are actually popular in the modern market for inspiration.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Tiago Sousa has confirmed the release version will have an FOV slider -

https://twitter.com/SwnSng/status/716156186215591937

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

echronorian posted:

This game owns. I have a feeling the final version will have sharper textures, I mean 5 gigs for everything this is is pretty goddamn small considering its an ID tech engine.

5 gigs for two fairly small multiplayer maps.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Steam will most likely get a preload, and I have 200Mbit cable. :smug:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

echronorian posted:

Half of that is assets. Megatexture takes up a lot of space. Betas are often missing final assets.

To be fair the 5GB is just the virtualtexture files. The beta is like 14GB total.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Some dumb idiot posted:

But on the bright side, Warpath is a cool mode that I like a lot, I just wish it was in a better game.

I'd like to see something like Warpath in Titanfall 2. Where the capture zone moves round moving between places where titans can reach and not.

E: woops, forgot I just posted in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Because popular thing + other popular thing = SUPER POPULAR KILLER GAME EVERYONE WILL BUY TWICE

That's how it works right?