Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ghost Head posted:

I wonder how much say the directors had in not only using Captain Marvel but how they used her. I seem to remember a while back they were asked during an interview about the sort of outrageously powerful versions of these characters that are in the comic books and they basically said that having them that strong leads to muddled storytelling or something. And sure enough Captain Marvel arrives in the movie as a completely unstoppable force of nature and everyone is sitting around after the movie going "why didn't she just do x". They're probably fairly pissed they had to use her.

They'll probably go the superman route in the future where she has to spend time saving civilians or there is inexplicably one bad guy who can match her blow for blow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm a little disappointed that we never found out what exactly happened on Titan and why the planet was so messed up

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Steve2911 posted:

Oh man, how traumatic must it be for your partner to dust mid-gently caress?

oh my god I hosed her out of existence!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Looke posted:

Finally saw the film, was awesome. Thor was still great in it

I kept waiting for the training montage where he gets back into shape but they kept rolling with fat bearded thor and it was glorious, especially when he summons both weapons and has his glowing thunder eyes fighting Thanos

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Mel Mudkiper posted:

One interesting detail is that they mention Peggy having a husband but never show him.

Arguably its always been Cap hiding away

Which would mean Cap made out with his niece

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I cried when Ultrons bots were being massacred

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

KillerQueen posted:

Also I don't know when it was established that Thanos's goons aren't sentient, that weird telekinetic guy talks.

In Infinity War, when we see those same space dogs killing themselves trying to get past Wakanda's force field.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Why didn't they just call the space animal control

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

But it’s also interesting that, with Spiderman thing, people are expressing sadness that Parker was forced to do that. Nobody’s doing a “not my Spiderman”.

It's probably because most depictions of Spiderman kill at one point or another

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

OldPueblo posted:

Well this thread went into the toilet quickly. How about rather than doing the forced mental gymnastics of trying to label Captain America a rapist and all around bad person we focus on more important things. Like what happened to the bitter wizard trainer guy at the end of Dr Strange? I just realized he never showed back up. Quick, what time line was he in and did he rape that guy when he took away his leg mobility magic?!?

He's presumably still going around stealing magic from people and be the bad guy in Dr. Strange 2

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Dren posted:

i mean he could just use the reality stone to put all the other stones back, then use it to put itself back

no tesseract cube? reality stone puts the space stone in the cube
no metal sphere for the power stone? reality stone makes one and un-knocks out quill
soul stone needs to go back to... whereever it was? reality stone puts it there
aether needs to go in Jane? reality stone turns itself into a cloud and goes back into Jane

there u go fanfic solved, the captain america puts back the stones movie is short and boring

He also has shrinking tech and flight (from Rocket or Iron Man's tech)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Vintersorg posted:

Would you suck your own dick if you went back in time?

You mean, would I rape myself?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Dren posted:

oh yeah and where did War Machine get that brand new armor from between being crushed by rubble and being saved by Ant Man

They were literally at their main base, maybe its an older model considering it's bigger and bulkier than his old one. Or it's just an alternative armor for when he has to do heavy fighting

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

teagone posted:

Yeah, but... why didn't Carol put on the gauntlet and just wipe Thanos and his armies off the face of every reality? There was plenty of time when A-Force was assembling, and she's clearly as strong, if not stronger than Thanos. It probably wouldn't even hurt her to activate all the stones.

I think the "snap Thanos and his army away" was just a last resort thing when it became clear that Thanos wasn't going to stop no matter what.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Whatever it takes

except my daughter I mean

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

GigaPeon posted:

Ok here's my question
They have that AHA moment where they realize there are three stones in NYC during the invasion. But how did they know the Time Stone was there?
They only met Dr. Strange for like a day 5 years ago. They didn't know that much about him as they figured he was hanging out at the New York Magic Base five years ago and not doctoring. The wizard club can teleport between all their bases right? So then he could be in Asia or whatever? Plus in the first movie they make a point that they normally carry the stone around in day to day life since just having an Infinity Stone on you all the time is just asking for trouble.

I guess you could make the point that TIlda knew they were coming but then why'd she act all surprised when she found Strange gave it away? Some Doctor Manhattan "I was surprised because I looked into the future and saw I was surprised" poo poo?

Anyways did I miss a line about how they were sure the stone was in NY that day?

Banner presumably found all that out when he got sent there in the beginning of IW, before Strange went and got Stark involved

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

MisterBibs posted:

I don't know if this is really spoiler-worthy, but re-watching GoTG2 this afternoon really made me wish the Ravagers made a cameo when all the snapped people came back. Just a good old-fashioned "hey, so, everything between us and you is going to be lit up, s'cool?" spectacle.

There were ravagers walking out of the portals, it was really easy to miss them though

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

JohnnySavs posted:

Imagine you're on a flight from London to New York, and all of a sudden half the people around you turn to dust. As people begin pounding on the door to the cockpit, you realize you're fated to crash once the autopilot finally runs out of fuel.

Imagine looking up from the news on your phone to see a silent airliner bearing down on you.

Imagine you're on the same flight, you feel extremely unwell, then you and half the passengers are free falling from 30,000 ft over the ocean.. How did Tony account for that?

A wizard An infinity stone did it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

DrNutt posted:

This would generally be a good thing to show the audience in your movie, rather than have your directors have to clarify later "uh yeah oh Thanos only killed half the Asgardians (who had already likely been culled way over half by the events of Ragnarok) and the rest of them escaped on lifeboats."

They just suck at showing it. At the start of IW the ship is already split in half but its surrounded by debris which most people would assume is the rest of the ship

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Guy A. Person posted:

How about literally anything you antagonistic turd

:ironicat:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It really did feel like they were setting up a scenario where Tony would have to choose between his daughter and the lives of everyone they lost. Then they decided to go with the ultra cheesy 'everyone wins and is happy' without thinking about the implications of half of the population aging 5 years. Same thing with Cap's 'happy' ending.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Could the snap alter memories because that would seem like the biggest oversight to anyone's snap plan

The mind stone can literally mind control people, wiping or altering memories doesn't seem that much of a stretch.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

sean10mm posted:

Wasn't using the original gauntlet harmless (to Thanos, anyway) unless you did something wacky like "snap away the stones themselves" like Thanos did later?

Just "regular" using the Stark gauntlet totally hosed up the Hulk and killed Stark.

e: I didn't get why some people were able to just handle some stones though. But I might have just missed something.

The first snap visibly damages the gauntlet and his arm is a bit hosed up too iirc

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Her paper football scene with Tony was cute :3:

Kinda interesting that she was with the Avengers longer (5 years) than the Guardians (maybe a couple weeks?)

Being around the Avengers was probably her first real taste of camaraderie and family

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

sebmojo posted:

I wish they had spent another hour exploring the possible implications of the Copenhagen interpretation, particularly its effect on free will and the soul. Are any of the characters in the mcu even meaningfully real? Are we? Are we all just lights on a screen, viewed from a higher dimension?

We're a doomed timeline OP

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

McCloud posted:

Also doesn't help they break their own "rules" regarding time travel

Their time travel is based off pym particles, which 'change size but not mass' and they break that rule within like 3 minutes of establishing it too. I guess at least they're consistent in their inconsistency

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Why wasn't Cap worthy in Avengers 2?

He budged it. You're either worthy or you're not.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Empress Brosephine posted:

How come instead of running away with the gauntlet from Thanos they didn’t just put it on and snap

Yeah I mentioned this in another thread I think. Tony could have just removed the stones from the gauntlet and flown away with them. Thanos can't fly and his ship is destroyed. There are at least two people capable of overpowering Thanos at that battlefield. There was a shot of Rocket about to get eaten by a space whale that gets dusted but Tony has survived a trip inside one of those things before.

Have Mantis put Thanos to sleep then throw him into the sun or space jail or whatever

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Re: Cap's shield.

I think it's more likely that he asked Tchalla to fix his rather than steal one

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Kunabomber posted:

Xandar got screwed by Thanos anyway when he sought out the stone.

But Xandar only had the stone because of the Guardians

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

thrawn527 posted:

Right, so without the Guardians, they get screwed by Ronan. With the Guardians, they get screwed by Thanos. Either way, they’re screwed.

Was Ronan really a threat to Xandar without the stone though? I thought the real threat was him using the stone to blow up the planet. Otherwise it would have just been a conventional war/battle that he may or may not win. Maybe that type of conflict would have drawn the attention of Captain Marvel.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

thrawn527 posted:

It's even better than that. While Hawkeye was going around on his murder rampage for 5 years, he was keeping up his family plan cell phone bill?

Automatic payments are a bitch.

Some people move on.

Some people go on a psychopathic vigilante rampage while still paying the bills

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Sir Kodiak posted:

Ah, yeah, that makes sense.

Is Ant-Man the only MCU hero with a pet? Doesn't seem like Tony even got a dog after retiring to the country.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I thought Black Panther was kind of a snooze fest.

The main character is, but luckily he's surrounded by a lot more fun people

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

f#a# posted:

Sorry but I just saw this for the first time and uhhh maybe I missed a line but how did Thanos' ship jump through time? Wasn't the last of the Pym particles used by Nebula jumping back to set up the trap?

'They reverse engineered more from the one sample they had' is the official explanation

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

precision posted:

Was Iron Woman foreshadowed before this movie though? It came extremely out of nowhere and seemed like mostly a convenient way to have Pepper be there when he dies.

Not really. The helmet Morgan borrows in her first scene is the part of the armor but I think most people just assumed it was a different colored variant of Tony's armor. I guess she took up superheroing in the 5 year timeskip

ruddiger posted:

Also, the MCU has confirmed souls and an afterlife, which Peter said he didn't go to, which also goes against the "brutally murdered" theory.

Refresh my memory, when did they confirm an afterlife?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Snowman_McK posted:

He rectified it buy buying a second, much more powerful robot to defeat the first robot.

Technically they stole it

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Snowman_McK posted:

Hanging out in the middle of the largest cities on earth, filled with tens of millions of people, when you're a living weapon of mass destruction who can barely control what you do, seems a lot shittier.

He can control it, just not when in the presence of the mind gem + explosions.

edit: Sorry I thought you were talking about when he was in India in Avengers 1

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It rules that the cinema ecosystem is getting actively choked to death

que?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ghost Head posted:

I'd like to think that future directors will ignore that and actually play with the idea that people were brought back in miserable circumstances or even just to die again. Like if the hulk just sorted everything out what was the point of even having the "blip" in the first place?

So that they could make two movies