Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Awesome Games Done Quick 2019 is over! A big thanks to all the staff, runners, volunteers and viewers who all were a part in raising almost 2,4 million dolalrs for the Prevent Cancer Foundation! See you next marathon!

As always when a new year comes around, we start it off fast. By which I mean speedrunning for a good cause.

It's upon us again - Awesome Games Done Quick 2019 comes rolling in and occupies all our free time from January 6th to 13th! If you're one of the 12 people who still haven't heard about GDQ, what we're gearing up for is an annual speedrunning marathon for charity with runners from a variety of speedgaming communities: Speed Demos Archive (SDA), Speedrun.com, SpeedRunsLive and TASVideos. They come together and spend a week raising money for the Prevent Cancer Foundation.

As is now par for the course, there's two AGDQ 2019 threads. This here is the informative, seriousposting thread. This is where all the important information goes, and where we try to collect recommendations of runs to watch. The other one, which you can find here, is the chat thread - for all your live-reaction shitposting. So anything that doesn't deserve to get lost in the noise of that one should be posted here! And don't worry if you posted a post that was actually meant for the other thread here. It's fine. I absolutely encourage any and all run recommendations to be posted in this thread, and also good fanart and stuff. Even memes.

=============

The most important thing is of course the schedule that will automatically adjust to your timezone if you have Javascript enabled for the GDQ site, so you can always know what time the runs you want to watch are supposed to start. Times can and will change somewhat as the marathon progresses due to runs not finishing exactly on estimate - hope that that means under, not over - but they try to make sure that runs start as close as they can to when they're supposed to. The schedule is also available on Horaro (also time zone-adjusted).

You can watch the marathon at the GDQ main site, which when the marathon starts will have the stream and an embedded chat. It's streamed on Twitch, so you can also use the GDQ Twitch channel to watch as well, but the main site is usually preferable if you're going to watch through a browser.

Watching through a browser is amateur strats, though.

'cause you can watch the entire marathon through the media player of your choice, through a lovely little program called Streamlink. You might have been using Livestreamer, but if you're still holding on to that, it's time to switch to Streamlink. It's literally a better Livestreamer since it's a more developed fork of it under a different name. There is also a Streamlink Twitch GUI to go with it, that you might need to configure, but it's been pretty good at working out of the box. If you're having issues, ask either here or in any of the goon chats. We'll be happy to try to help you. I personally prefer to use it with mpv, but most anything that'll play video should work with it.

As much as you might try you probably won't be able to watch everything you want live - remember to get sleep and food and all of those things - but you don't have to despair. Everything will be available to watch afterwards as well! The GDQ Youtube channel will upload all the runs, and will even try to do so during the marathon, to minimize the risk of people uploading monetized recordings of the stream before it's over. The splendid website GDQ VODs run by fellow goon Steve Holt is also there for you and attempts to post timestamped links to Twitch VODs before Youtube videos are available, and at least links to the usual Reddit thread for it and fixes it all up nice-like afterwards. Steve has said he uses the thread recommendations to figure out what to put on the front page, so it's doubly important you put your recommendations here!

An important part of The Marathon Viewing Experience™ is also to do it together with others. As previously stated, there's a chat thread for you, but there's many more options. Twitch chat is best ignored and will probably be in slow+subscribers only mode. Use the tried and true options, IRC and Discord, instead.

GDQ IRC: #sdamarathon at irc.quakenet.org
Direct link | Quakenet Webchat
GDQ Discord

Goon IRC: #speedruns at irc.synirc.net
Direct link | synirc Webchat
Goon speedrunning Discord | Goon chill speedfriends Discord (no permanent link, ask about it)

=============

If you want to get some GDQ merchandise, there's always some available. GDQ traditionally partners with a couple of web stores during the event for a collection of GDQ merch, available throughout the event. A percentage of the profit from these will be donated to the charity during the event. There's shirts and some other trinkets over at The Yetee, and a variety of things can be gotten from Fangamer.

=============

So what is it, exactly, that AGDQ does? What is GDQ all about?

Games Done Quick got started in 2010 with Classic Games Done Quick, a modest event that literally happened in Mike Uyama's basement, raising money for CARE. In the years that's passed since, GDQ has grown a lot, and now hosts not one, but two huge speedrunning charity events anually - Awesome Games Done Quick in January, benefiting the Prevent Cancer Foundation, and Summer Games Done Quick in July-August, benefiting Doctors Without Borders. Right now, GDQ is the largest fundraising event globally for both charities. In 2014, AGDQ became the first GDQ event to break one million dollars in donations for a single event, and since the first marathon, GDQ events have to date raised a total of nearly seventeen million dollars for charity, including some one-off causes through online marathons such as Japan Relief Done Quick in 2011 and Harvey Relief Done Quick in 2017. In 2018, GDQ also hosted their first GDQ Express, a three-day marathon at TwitchCon.

100% of the money that is raised during Awesome Games Done Quick goes directly to the Prevent Cancer Foundation. There is no cut taken by any of the staff or participants, all attendees pay for their own travel and living expenses. You might hear people saying that they do get some of the money - the truth is that AGDQ has become such a large event that putting it on is essentially a full-time job for many of the closest involved, so the Prevent Cancer Foundation employs the core staff to make sure that AGDQ can happen as it does.

The event grows all the time, so more work gets put into having everything run smoothly and keeping the quality of the stream high, but there's always going to be some hiccups, especially with all the technical equipment involved. Expecting everything to work 100% flawlessly over the course of a week-long 24/7 live-streamed event is just not realistic. Be patient, it'll be fixed sooner than you think.

=============

So let's look at how you donate to the cause, here. Once upon a time there was a donation widget called ChipIn, which AGDQ used up until it exploded badly during AGDQ 2013. Resident coder SMK stepped in and wrote an entirely new, standalone donation system, which (with addition development since) is still used to this day (ChipIn closed down shortly after AGDQ 2013 - go figure).

To donate, simply go to the Awesome Games Done Quick 2019 donation page. Here, you'll be able to make your donation and leave a comment with it, as well as see what prizes you'll be eligible for by donating at the time (more on that soon). If you make a good enough comment, it might get read out by a host on stream - during the early marathons, all comments (barring those that were rejected for other reasons) were read out, but these days there are so many donations that it's a total impossibility. Thus, there's a filtering system for comments in place - any donation of less than a dollar will be automatically filtered out, and anything containing insulting language or memes or other kind of spam will most certainly be manually filtered out in the screening process. To maximize your success in having your comment read out, don't make it too long, be creative and/or funny, have it be especially relevant to the current run/runner, or a personal story relating to the cause (yes, this means there'll be many donation comments talking about cancer - it's a charity event for the Prevent Cancer Foundation, so what did you expect?). There'll also be a scrolling ticker for some donation comments that weren't read out on the main page.

You might have noticed that I said "prizes". Yes, if you need further incentives to donate, you've got two of 'em - raffle prizes and donation incentives.

To start with the latter, when you make your donation, you can have your money go towards one of the many donation incentives or bid wars that are available for several different games. These range from simply naming characters in games with, well, nameable characters, to playing different modes or extra stages/challenges in certain games, to in a few cases even choosing which game will be played or to make another game appear on the schedule. All these bids and incentives can be found on the tracker.

And then we've got the prizes! Like the incentive list, the tracker of course also contains prize index where you can see a list of them all. How it works is that there's a minimum bid for all prizes, and a period during which the prize is available - if you make a donation of at least the minimum amount specified during that period, you will be entered into the raffle for winning the prize, to be drawn after the event is over. Most prizes have a buy-in of five dollars, and the donation page will tell you what prizes you can make yourself eligible for and how much you need to donate for them. Things you can win include, but are not limited to:

Kirby shotglass.

Crash & Coco charms.

Tomb Raider print.

Nintendo towels.

Octopath Traveler shadowbox.

Mega Man X pillow.

Crypt of the Necrodancer perler keyrings.

Printed GDQ banner.

And some old outdated video game machine idk

=============

So let's just get to the FAQ.

Q: What runs should I watch?
A: There's not one single answer to this question. Read the schedule, and find games that you're interested in, or that you think will be interesting. Awful Games Done Quick is usually a solid watch, as is the TAS block, and we're going to try to keep a running list of recommendations as the marathon progresses.

Q: Will ____ be there this year?
A: Check the schedule. If they're not listed as a runner or commentator, it doesn't really matter if they're there or not. There's been some, let's say, controversial runners/commentators in the past - it's for the best if we don't bring that up.

Q: Why isn't ____ on the schedule?
A: Because there's simply not enough room for it. AGDQ has grown so much that it's not even remotely possible to let everyone who wants to attend have a game on the schedule anymore. There's going to be hundreds of people there, and while not all of them are runners, many games and people have had to be cut from the schedule to fit it into a weeklong marathon.

Q: What's this about GDQ banning fun?
A: Just a silly misconception. There's no fun police, and certainly no rules in place that state everything has to be super serious and clinical. A rule that is in place is that people on camera who aren't the runner shouldn't be taking focus or attention away from the run or the runner(s). When you're an event the size of GDQ, allowing people to do whatever they want on camera just isn't possible.

Q: Where is this happening?
A: AGDQ 2019 takes place in the Bethesda North Marriott Hotel & Conference Center in Rockville, MD.

=============

And do remember what's important and why we're all here. It's for enjoying a speedrunning marathon together. Please don't take this as an opportunity to, in either thread, bring up drama from times past. Now, this is a thread for AGDQ 2019, so talking about things that happen at AGDQ 2019 is perfectly fine. Just don't let minor incidents be blown up into major shitstorms that they really aren't. Be very wary about unverified pastebins, Reddit claims, and Twitter storms. Above all, be respectful towards the runners, commentators, and all the GDQ stuff that puts in so much time and effort to put on this event for you - it may be for charity, but it's also for the viewers. Without an audience, there wouldn't be any AGDQ to enjoy.

Should you still have any questions, about the event, the organization, or something else relating to Games Done Quick - simply ask! There are a number of goons that are directly involved with the event, some part of the staff, a few more simply attending as runners or general audience, and many other goons that are to various degrees involved with the speedrunning community in general. So there's a lot of us here who would be happy to answer any questions you might have, either in the thread or in the aforementioned goon chats, and do also remember that we have a general speedrunning thread to check out (yes, the information in the OP of that one is outdated at the moment - stay tuned for updates).

Let us all have a good marathon together!

=============

Past marathon threads:
AGDQ 2012 | AGDQ 2013 | SGDQ 2013 | AGDQ 2014 | SGDQ 2014 | ESA 2014 | AGDQ 2015 | ESA 2015 | SGDQ 2015 | AGDQ 2016 | SGDQ 2016 | ESA 2016 | AGDQ 2017 (Chat) | SGDQ 2017 (Chat) | ESA 2017 | HRDQ | AGDQ 2018 (Chat) | SGDQ 2018 (Chat) | ESA 2018 (Chat) | GDQx 2018 (Chat)

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jan 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Recommended runs
Hollow Knight by Vysuals
Mega Man Zero 2 by Krankdud
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask by popesquidward
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty by Tyler2022
Actraiser 2 by PJ
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow by VB__
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse by jc583
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon by Laxxus
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze by Kruncha, michael_goldfish and spikevegeta2
Jak 3 by TheRixer
Resident Evil by RawDerps
Silent Hill 2 by Punchy
Tomb Raider II by SmoothOperative
Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness by PlasticRainbow
Rayman 2: The Great Escape by Glackum
Sonic Mania Plus by Claris, Zaxon96 and Joeybaby69
Sanicball by Gyoo
Sonic the Hedgehog by Dr.Fatbody
Mario Kart 64 by abney317
Super Mario Bros. 3mix by mitchflowerpower, Gadien and Jabem
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars by Juston-credible
Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 by TrjnRabbit
Guacamelee! 2 by TheBlacktastic
Semblance by halfcoordinated

If you make a post with a recommendation, please include the text AGDQ 2019 run recommendation in it, so I can search for that to find people's recommendations easier.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 10, 2019

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I love that Kirby shot glass.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I <3 kirby

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The Horaro schedule link goes to 2018 schedule.

Recommended if you have multiple screens (and why shouldn't you) - use the Livestreamer Twitch GUI. I have linked it with VLC for a few events now and it's real easy to watch the stream on good quality while keeping another screen free for whatever.

Can't wait to see what kinda t-shirts they have available this time. That's usually my way of supporting the event.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Fixed. Also, Streamlink, not Livestreamer.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Much, MUCH more informative than my OP. It's been linked, friendo!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

KennyMan666 posted:

Fixed. Also, Streamlink, not Livestreamer.

Oh yeah. I seem to have both on my PC. But Streamlink is definitely the one to use.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

KennyMan666 posted:

Q: What runs should I watch?
A: There's not one single answer to this question. Read the schedule, and find games that you're interested in, or that you think will be interesting. Awful Games Done Quick is usually a solid watch, as is the TAS block, and we're going to try to keep a running list of recommendations as the marathon progresses.

Awful block has been stellar for the last two years. This year is starts Wednesday night/ Thursday morning with Megaman (DOS) and ends somewhere in the vicinity of Trio the Punch: Never Forget Me

Megaman (DOS) (Don't be fooled by this one, despite the fact that this is also part of the Megaman block and follows Megaman Unlimited, this is the first game of the awful block)

Avoid the Noid (I actually owned and played this in its appropriate era. You are the valiant domino's pizzaman making a delivery.)

Virtual Hydlide (e: had really hard time finding working image that showed this game off)

Urban Yeti!

Gordo 106 (The mutated Lab monkey, only on Atari Lynx!)

Mohawk & Headphone Jack

(e: holy gently caress this is so much worse in motion.)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnP9pLsSMV4&t=21s

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Dragon's Lair: The Legend

Sword of Sodan

Férias Frustradas do Pica-Pau

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

Garfield: A Week of Garfield

Monkey King

Trio the Punch: Never Forget Me

I Greyhound fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 6, 2019

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

TeaJay posted:

Oh yeah. I seem to have both on my PC. But Streamlink is definitely the one to use.

What makes it better than watching in a browser?

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

I Greyhound posted:

Mohawk & Headphone Jack

This is being run by PJ, so something extremely unusual is almost certain to happen. When he was practicing this past week, one of his Mohawk carts actually had F-Zero on it instead. I’m not sure if he just grabbed the wrong game or if it’s a mislabel, but knowing how things work for him there is a non-zero chance the game spontaneously turned into F-Zero.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Sadly I'll miss at least the first half AwfulGDQ due to the time. I could maybe be up in time for Mohawk & Headphone Jack but that's a game I won't watch because I know from past PJ runs of it that it's one of the very, very few games in existence that makes me actually physically ill to watch and I'm not one who gets motion sickness easily. So... fair warning.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Ravus posted:

What makes it better than watching in a browser?

You can put it in VLC (or video player of your choice) for easy moving to another screen and it tends to be more stable than browser and works well on highest quality. Plus you don't have to deal with the chat.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

TeaJay posted:

You can put it in VLC (or video player of your choice) for easy moving to another screen and it tends to be more stable than browser and works well on highest quality. Plus you don't have to deal with the chat.

More stable and also less resource intensive. That will matter for people watching on lovely laptops, or with 50 other tabs open.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Dancer posted:

More stable and also less resource intensive. That will matter for people watching on lovely laptops, or with 50 other tabs open.

Fair enough.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

I Greyhound posted:

Awful block has been stellar for the last two years. This year is starts Wednesday night/ Thursday morning with Megaman (DOS) and ends somewhere in the vicinity of Trio the Punch: Never Forget Me

Virtual Hydlide

Virtual Hydlide is certainly a "game" worth experiencing if you haven't encountered it before.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

the yeti, in the other thread, posted:

Is there a discord or something for goons who are gonna be there or do we shun in person interactions like true goonkind

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

No specific one for it, no. There's two Goon speedrunning Discords linked in the OP and any goon that's both there and on Discord will probably be in one or both of them.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The bulk of interaction and reaction has historically been in the chat thread moreso than the discords, but they see some good activity too.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Please consider this a friendly reminder that friend Rumrusher in #speedruns on SynIRC posts some awesome doodles all throughout AGDQ, like this:

There's plenty more where that came from, so come hang out when the chat thread is moving too fast and you just need a place to chill.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
i've been watching gyre practice virtual hydlide and it might be the first videogame to ever give me motion sickness. watching during the volcano gives me a terrible headache. also is the the shitposting thread or the infoposting thread?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

fool_of_sound posted:

i've been watching gyre practice virtual hydlide and it might be the first videogame to ever give me motion sickness. watching during the volcano gives me a terrible headache. also is the the shitposting thread or the infoposting thread?

This is the infoposting thread. Shitposting is over here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878871

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nemo2342 posted:

Virtual Hydlide is certainly a "game" worth experiencing if you haven't encountered it before.
drakkhen has still never been at a gdq right

that honestly is the most glaring omission from all the awful blocks, that this "game" has never been showcased at it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNLhy4TweNY&hd=1&t=53s

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Nemo2342 posted:

is it better or worse or "worse" than goon-favorite of Awful Block 2017: Arabian Nights?

I also remember playing that episode I game from when I was a kid. It was...weird.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

axeil posted:

is it better or worse or "worse" than goon-favorite of Awful Block 2017: Arabian Nights?

I also remember playing that episode I game from when I was a kid. It was...weird.

Virtual Hydlide is a "who thought releasing this was a good idea?" bad game, whereas Arabian Nights is a "how the gently caress does this exist?" bad game. It's an enjoyable watch that doesn't overstay it's welcome, but it doesn't have the sheer insanity of Arbanian Nights.

It may give you motion sickness and/or blindness though, so it's got that going for it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I thought Virtual Hydlide was good when I played it for the first time, on a tiny tv. Randomly generated worlds were a new and fascinating concept to me. I liked the overall time limit less though. ...there was a time limit, right? I remember running out of time on my first playthrough and getting a game over.

Also I just looked through a guide and apparently you can use the Dark Sword's projectiles against the dragon. You don't have to rely on RNG by waiting for it to get into melee range.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Is this the chill thread? Yes, yes it is

iospace fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 6, 2019

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

They're all chill threads.

Also I PM'd VideoGames about getting both threads stickied yesterday, looks like we have half of that at the moment so hopefully this one will get glued too.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Virtual Hydlide honestly doesn't look terrible so much as just very dated. But I haven't played it so maybe it does just blow rear end idk.

They also put Dogs Life in the awful block and i am firm of the assertion that Dogs Life is at least a 7/10 and was a few knocks above some games that weren't in awful block.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

9.5 hour FFIX run, holy moley

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

McFrugal posted:

I thought Virtual Hydlide was good when I played it for the first time, on a tiny tv. Randomly generated worlds were a new and fascinating concept to me. I liked the overall time limit less though. ...there was a time limit, right? I remember running out of time on my first playthrough and getting a game over.

Also I just looked through a guide and apparently you can use the Dark Sword's projectiles against the dragon. You don't have to rely on RNG by waiting for it to get into melee range.

Virtual Hydlide has some things that are neat (on paper) if you enjoy rogue-likes: randomized world, randomized items, cursed items, items need to be identified, quest items that open up dungeons.

It also has a lot of very questionable design choices: level ups are only gained from completing quests, monster rewards are nearly pointless, there's no NPCs or any kind of quest direction in game, "jumping" puzzles.

What really kills it are some of the technical issues. The game just can't handle the pseudo-3D it's trying to pull off, leading to FPS that is abysmal (especially in the volcano). The controls are also apparently pretty rough, though since gyre runs a set seed and dodges most of the non-boss encounters it's not as bad as it could be.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Here are the T-Shirt designs for this event.

https://theyetee.com/collections/agdq

I usually buy one shirt per event. It's gonna be either the Donkey Kong or Kiki Kaikai this time around.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

TeaJay posted:

Here are the T-Shirt designs for this event.

https://theyetee.com/collections/agdq

I usually buy one shirt per event. It's gonna be either the Donkey Kong or Kiki Kaikai this time around.

Really good shirts this year. Gonna be FF9 or Kirby for me I Think... but like most of them are really good

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I like the color on the Kirby shirt but I'm not sure if I want to be walking around with a big eyeball on my shirt. Donkey Kong is somewhat easier to explain

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I got the samus/ridley one

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'd love those Hollow knight plushies.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Virtual Hydlide honestly doesn't look terrible so much as just very dated. But I haven't played it so maybe it does just blow rear end idk.

From what I've seen elsewhere it's hard to control, plus those controls have really bad latency since it runs at like 12 frames per second.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm guessing it would've been a bigger surprise to people if the AVGN didn't do an episode about it recently.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

TeaJay posted:

I'm guessing it would've been a bigger surprise to people if the AVGN didn't do an episode about it recently.

Did the episode come out before or after game selections? Because I'd have imagined the AVGN is responsible for it being in the cultural consciousness enough for it to warrant even being picked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Did the episode come out before or after game selections? Because I'd have imagined the AVGN is responsible for it being in the cultural consciousness enough for it to warrant even being picked.

The episode was posted to Youtube early November (and I guess a week earlier on Amazon) so I guess just a coincidence? But I definitely became aware of Virtual Hydlide around that time.