Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

This looks great. I'm not familiar with the source material, but it does remind me of how much I enjoy the stupid, stupid show that is The Magicians, which I consider to be extremely binge-able (Netflix). I guess it's the right kind of stupid for me.

"Solo" is also on Netflix, and I think it holds up well when rewatching. You can ignore the groan-worthy moments better (origin of his name, mainly) and the rest of the movie is legit fun. I might just have terrible taste, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

LifeLynx posted:

Love, Death & Robots is mixed, but the highs are really high. I haven't watched them all yet, but SUITS is my favorite. Country farmers + mechs is a genre mashup I didn't know I needed. THREE ROBOTS was great also.

I think anyone who likes a good sci-fi short story should watch the whole run. Some of it is cringy, some of it is gratuitous, but I think the great ones have more impact if you watched the bad ones, too. Some have unsatisfying or confusing plot but look absolutely fantastic. Zima Blue was probably my favorite but 3-4 episodes were very memorable for me.

Piell posted:

Runaways is garbage

It really is. I'm an unabashed Marvel fanboy and it's just so loving BORING. Cloak and Dagger was similarly low-budget seeming but 1000x better.

tweet my meat posted:

Triple Frontier was pretty good. I liked that movie didn't spend too long pretending that they were the good guys just because they were robbing a drug lord, I love a good heist movie with a bunch of scumbags. It didn't blow my mind, but I still really enjoyed it, which seems to be where a lot of the Netflix films fall.

I agree. I think if you watch the trailer clip and think "I might enjoy this" then you'll probably not feel that your time was wasted, but it's not going to blow minds. For a while I was hoping there'd be a sequence as fantastic as the Sicario border scene but then I realized that was completely unrealistic, so yeah, don't expect that. I wouldn't have paid to see it in theaters, but the visuals are great and the plot carried along in a satisfying way.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
The Tick season 2 is out! Great so far.

Accident Underwater posted:

Flight of the Conchords

Season 1 is fantastic. I don't think I realized until halfway through how much I loved their style of humor, and it's even better on the second watch.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm on like my 7th viewing of Bash Brothers, please send help.

This makes me feel less crazy. This stupid thing is so rewatchable.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Just finished Good Omens. I'm not sure why I watched it all... I think I really wanted to like it but it was never as amusing or clever as it seemed like it thought it was, to me.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

King of Bleh posted:

So you're saying it's a faithful adaptation?

Never read it, but glad to know I'm not insane.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Into the Spider-Verse is basically required viewing. If you aren't a big Spider-Man fan so much of the plot might seem like nonsense, but the animation is amazing. For me in theaters it was almost nauseating at first but it's just so fresh. I think it's even better when rewatching it. The music is amazing as well.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Frog Act posted:

I just finished season 3 and I really disliked it, the writing felt much lazier and hackier then before and the end was straight up boring. Stranger Things is gonna be one of those shows for me that had an incredible first season I can watch again and again but the rest fell flat. Usually it’s the other way around

Kinda just felt like a horror action caper this time around. I don't feel like it added anything to the mythos of the show and just worked with existing ideas, which is unfortunate, but I still enjoyed it.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

mystes posted:

Yeah, it's actually kind of bizarre that they didn't go with this approach.

The show was originally supposed to be an anthology series. Then a few high-profile anthology serieses came out and the Duffer brothers decided against it, so I'm sure there's remnants there.

I guess I'm super weird because I actually enjoyed S2 more than S3. Bob's character was great, Will's whole situation was more mysterious and interesting (instead of just the aforementioned neck touching), and the stakes rose in a more satisfying way for me. Yeah the Eleven spinoff episode was a little goofy but I don't think it deserves the hate.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
If you have ever enjoyed a taco, give Taco Chronicles a shot on netflix. I'm so hungry.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I'm really enjoying it as well. It's extremely violent at times and does a good job of using the violence for comedy or pure horror and not just shock value. The comedy isn't over the top, the characters make reasonable choices for who they are, it's just well put together.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I really enjoyed Undone but was unsatisfied by the ending.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

DeimosRising posted:

The “shift” is foreshadowed constantly up to that point and the supposed change to a slasher features one character being stabbed and one slashed non fatally in a single chase sequence that takes up much, much less than a third of the movie. I suspect most people with this complaint haven’t seen the movie in a decade

I'm glad someone else agrees with me about this. I love that movie including the ending (although I see why some people wouldn't), but it's not as much of the movie as people act.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

beanieson posted:

Jack Ryan was so dumb this season. The secret plot to mine for valuable minerals in their own country didn’t require any cover up at all, meaning there was never any reason to kill the senator.

What should have happened was they go down to Venezuela and ask about what’s up, and the government tells them its a mining operation, mind your own business and then they just leave the country.

Thank you, I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought this. I kept waiting for them to uncover an actual illegal conspiracy other than hiring a hitman and whatnot. I feel like I missed something..

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I think the Mandalorian is dumb but also enjoyable. I'm enjoying some Star Warsy stuff that isn't all "fate of the galaxy" poo poo.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Marriage Story is on Netflix now, which I recommend. It's the kind of movie that will affect people in different ways based on your own life experiences. I'm a divorced man so it was pretty heartbreaking, but children of divorce will feel other things.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

nate fisher posted:

Finally made a decent dent into Mandalorian. I like it mainly due to I’m sucker for westerns and most things Star Wars. That said it is not that good. Acting is mostly bad and the most of the episodes are so typical you can guess what is going to happen in no time. I do feel like the show is getting a big pass by many due to Baby Yoda cuteness and the nostalgia for anything remotely cool that is Star Wars. Part is my fault due to I listen to the hype about it and got my hopes up. It is 2019’s version of Westworld when it comes to being overhyped.

I think it's kind of odd to compare it to Westworld since they are basically polar opposites. Westworld is convoluted and very layered with a grand overarching storyline / mystery to solve, The Mandalorian is simple and mostly episodic. People are enjoying The Mandalorian for that reason - it's refreshingly light and accessible when compared to a lot of other media out there. It's like the anti-Rise of Skywalker.

Hype is a powerful thing. Just realize that the number of people talking about something does not equate to how good it is. Sort of like rotten tomatoes vs. metacritic scores. Just because almost everyone thought it was enjoyable doesn't mean it's extremely good, just that it has wide appeal.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

feedmyleg posted:

The first film in a series is just a pilot these days.

I guess now that TV is more like the movies used to be, movies need to be more like TV is

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Franchescanado posted:

Medical Police is pretty drat funny.

I enjoyed it but it really just made me want to watch Angie Tribeca again, which I think pushes the absurdity further in a good way. I never watched Children's Hospital, though.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Fallom posted:

My mom and my boomer coworkers loving loved The Witcher

it's really weird

it's a Game of Thrones vacuum. People just want another fantasy world after getting the taste from GoT.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I seem to enjoy anything comic book based but I couldn't really get into Locke and Key. It's kinda kid-focused, kinda not, and I found it hard to really care about anything the characters care about.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Personally, Altered Carbon is exactly the kind of sci-fi nonsense I enjoy sometimes. Season 1 had some great moments, but yeah, I'm not going to shout from the rooftops to get people to watch it.

edit: I'm on S2E3 and kind of really enjoying it, probably because I like Poe and I got major Equilibrium vibes from a certain scene.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 29, 2020

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Medullah posted:

Justified is fantastic, get on it. You're the Worst is a fantastic Dramedy.

I love You're the Worst so much, and also there are stretches that are intolerably dark. It's a good show to binge.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Definitely enjoyed the first couple episodes of Devs, but it's poised to go off the rails in existential pseudoscience artsy stuff, for better or worse.

Just found out Aya Cash is in The Boys season 2, which is about the best news that show could possibly get for me https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-boys-reveals-the-first-look-at-aya-cash-as-stormfro-1842211969

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I'm the weird guy that likes it all. I'm really enjoying S3.

His Dark Materials, however. God that was boring from E2 to finish, minus a few moments.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Inspector Hound posted:

Locke and Key isn't exactly my thing, but it's miles better than The Magicians.

If The Magicians is Chronicles Narnia crossed with Harry Potter, Locke and Key is Narnia crossed with...The People Under the Stairs?

e Narnia crossed with Jumper with Hellraiser

Also the villain just opened a portal to a random subway and threw a kid in front of a train, this might be a better show than I thought

how much of The Magicians did you watch? Locke and Key felt like completely aimless magic in which the main characters made bad decisions 100% of the time to me. The Magicians is so much better.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
wait, people stopped liking The Good Place? I enjoyed that show all the way to the end.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
New seasons of Future Man and What We Do In The Shadows are both awesome. Better than the previous ones, even.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I really enjoyed Halt and Catch Fire and I also think it's a great name. Catchy, cryptic, and semi-relevant. I eventually got to the point where it was just wearing me out, though. Everything is so tense.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Anyone else watch Upload? I enjoyed it. I by no means think anyone would enjoy it as much as the shows I'm going to mention next, but it has similar elements to The Good Place and Superstore. It is much less zany than The Good Place (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) but has the same elements of basically anything being possible except in this case there are at least some rules. It's also got a strange sort of relaxation similar to Superstore with its random interstitials. I dunno, maybe my standards are dropping, but I'd watch more.

Enos Cabell posted:

My love for Lauren Lapkus led me to watch The Wrong Missy. That was a grave mistake.

I'm afraid to watch it but probably will because she's the best and deserves leading roles

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I just finished watching "The Unauthorized Bash Brothers Experience" for the 10th time and I feel like it's criminally underrated. I legit enjoy the songs and it's got such a great mix of super short and long gags.

Jolo posted:

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story is on Netflix and I forgot just how funny it is. This movie is a perfect parody of music biopics and is absolutely loaded with great jokes. The running gags all work. If you need a laugh (and who doesn't right now?) give it a watch or a rewatch.

I love SO MUCH about this movie, but one thing I just remembered is how funny it is to watch it with people for the first time because they don't always realize Dewey destroying a sink is a running bit until he's sad and sees like 20 of em

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I also watched Warrior Nun because I'm powerless to resist YA-ish high concept nonsense.

Cons:
- it's boring a lot of the time, with not as much action as you'd like, and more time spent on character bonding or emo stuff (but not in an overly soap opera way). Might not be a con for everyone.
- character and plot arcs aren't especially satisfying overall, which should be an important thing for a show but you probably knew what you were getting into when choosing a show called "Warrior Nun"
- a lot of tropes you've seen before. Honestly, could be a lot worse.

Pros:
- The art style reminds me of Constantine meets Equilibrium in a good way, and when it's laid on thick it's great. I wish they had more money to lay it on thicker.
- All the women are very attractive, including the main character who puts on a shockingly consistent American accent despite being Portuguese. Actually, I have no idea why she or anyone else has an American accent. None of the accents make any sense, but gently caress it.
- It makes me really want to go to Spain, which I was loving supposed to before covid hit. gently caress. Either their compositing is great or they actually got to film at places like St. Peter's Cathedral which is nuts, but makes sense if you imagine this show is sponsored by the Catholic church in the same way Top Gun was sponsored by the US Air Force.
- Good continuity between episodes, which helps it feel less like a CW show
- Actually surprisingly pragmatic about the religious stuff. Maybe the Catholic church hates it.

Overall... I didn't hate it. I think if it still sounds good after the stuff above you'd definitely like it.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

feedmyleg posted:

I was more making fun of Glottis' review.

Hopefully my awareness of the review's quality was apparent

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
The Old Guard, in my opinion, was just OK but worth watching if you already have a Netflix subscription. It's overly long, and not as substantive as it could be, but Charlize Theron is pretty much great in everything. The ending implies there will be more.

In my depths of just watching whatever, I started watching "Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23" on Hulu, a show I never watched because the title sucks. This show is much better than I expected. I'm glad I watched this after Jessica Jones (probably my favorite MCU show).

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

frogbs posted:

Just finished season 2 of Lodge 49 and man, i'm bummed it's probably not coming back. I get why it wouldn't be most people's cup of tea, and am not sure how you'd really market it. It has a pretty unique feeling that I haven't seen in a lot of other shows. Really hoping that maybe Hulu picks it up now that they have both seasons, but it seems pretty unlikely.

Season 2 is on Hulu now? Good, the ending to the first was ridiculous and I want more. I'm with you though.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I can't believe it took this thread for me to realize that The Emperor's New Groove, literally one of my favorite movies, was a play on The Emperor's New Clothes.

Umbrella Academy season 2 was actually pretty great. Probably better than the first. I'm kind of enamored with Doom Patrol and enjoy that more as far as zany superpower shows go, but Umbrella Academy is significantly more stylish.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Harley Quinn is great but takes at least a few episodes to get over the super "edgy" comedy style. I'm really enjoying it, and not just because Kite Man is a main character. Hell yeah.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

LifeLynx posted:

Project Power was... okay. I enjoyed the first half where it was random fights involving people who swallowed a pill that gave them a roulette wheel of random powers or death a lot more than the second half. I thought the movie was over and then there were 45 minutes left where the real villains were revealed to be a shadowy conspiracy group - and a criminal, a cop, and a kid were going to team up to take them down and it went downhill fast from not even a super high point. It tries to tackle some racism and classism issues but doesn't succeed because the only times they're brought up are when characters are giving a monologue about them, after which it's back to power pill fights.

Agreed pretty much 100%. It's kinda fun, effects range from pretty neat to kinda lovely.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

BisterdDave posted:

So last night I decided to check out some shows that have been on my Netflix watchlist for awhile now, just to see if any stick. First episode of Mindhunter seems, ok. I might give it another episode, I dunno. After that I checked out Dark, which was much more interesting, definitely gonna watch some more of that.

Mindhunter is a slow burn, but absolutely worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

veni veni veni posted:

Is that new Bill and Ted actually watchable? People seem to like it, it has an 81% on RT...The trailer is just awful though. Both Reeves and Pepper seem like they are just sleeping through it, the jokes are terrible, the whole concept seems really uninspired. Is it a case of the movie being way better than the trailer, or are people just unwilling to poo poo on something as lighthearted as a new Bill and Ted movie in misery world 2020? Cause man, that trailer is bad.

If you like Bill and Ted movies you'll enjoy it. It's about as silly as the other ones, which is to say much sillier than most comedies these days.