Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Grandma, Why Are You Doing This?

Jimmy and the Pulsating mass is an amazing game. It's a more complicated, more rich Earthbound-style game that both pays respect to and improves on the original game.
It's beautiful, it's funny, it's sad and it's very, very deep.

Buy this game.

Then watch the LP because you are a working adult with an enormous games backlog and really don't want to gamble on an RPG that's not made by a major studio that's 50 hours long.
Do it so you can have something to idly tool around and listen to while you dick with on your phone or other websites or even grindy games.

Because you shouldn't miss this one.

What is Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass?

Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass was released in August of 2018. It was made by one person, Kasey Ozymy. He did EVERYTHING.

He made the graphics, the music, the design, everything except for some minor scripts.

It's Jimmy's adventure.

How Are We Going to Do This?

This will be video. If I can figure out how to capture gifs well enough to do it justice, I'll post them. Because this game is imminently ripe for gifs.

I'm going to edit out a lot of repetitive combat and grind off-screen so you don't have to watch it. But ideally we'll see every fight at least once and they're worth watching.

I'll also be rotating commentators. More on that below.

If you have any criticism or want some changes made, give me a heads up.

I'll try to do two tv-show length episodes (~22-30 minutes) every week. Usually Monday and Thursday. Sometimes Sunday or Wednesday. Never Late. The Grandma Express is always on time.

Spoilers?

No loving spoilers. Period. If I miss something, PM me.

Let's do it!

Commentary On (Playlist is here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNr5681FV38xQo1dDBvfsBGn18FAwOeA2)

No Commentary (Playlist is here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNr5681FV38w0rDLzMWybsMNijpcL-ArH)

Bonus Videos!

https://youtu.be/bwtN5BqaBJo The ultimate shame

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Success Stories

thecluckmeme posted:

god dammit I don't have the time to play this game but I bought the game anyway because it's about this point in the game where I'm getting the same vibes as meeting papyrus in Undertale where I know for a drat fact this game is as polished and loved as my grandmother's cutlery set.

Ayndin posted:

:same: I've been trying to carve out time on the weekends for it, it's worth it.

I see Timothy Mouse has beaten us to slightly phallic woodwind instrument people land. I thought his clothes looked more ragged than when we last saw him, but no, he's always been wearing some sort of one-strapped overalls or something.

Roobanguy posted:

This lp made me buy the game, and I’m probably near the end and gently caress man, this game is good.

Taberquol posted:

That is a wonderful dev diary.

I bought the game Monday because I got emotionally invested in GAMM-E. I wished I played this game instead of the Sims all weekend.

DiggityDoink posted:

I just bought this game so I'm gonna have to skip the rest of this LP. But don't worry, the LP is the reason I bought it in the first place so thanks for the preview of what's to come.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I went and bought this game cause of this LP. It is very good.

The creator is really chill and humble unlike this other developer guy y'all may have heard of.

Nocheez posted:

FYI, I bought this game last night because of this thread. I only watched the first LP episode but I decided I'd rather play it for myself and be surprised. I made it to Smile last night and get to shake the poo poo outta people now :getin:

Tellaris posted:

I would just like to say that the banner ads brought me here, the first video enticed me, and I have subsequently purchased and beaten this game. I loved it so much I have managed to get 3 other people to buy it as well. It is a crime that this game didn't get as much recognition as it deserves.

Jade Rider posted:

Also I'll throw my hat in the proverbial ring for guest commentary. I picked this up a while back because of this thread and have been enjoying it :toot:

gently caress yeah!

Fan Art

Kad made this!

SystemLogoff is making this!

SystemLogoff's painting is progressing nicely!

Oh my god Kad

Inflatable Fish made Woodlice under a Log!

I'm calling it a postmodern interpretation.

Mizuti made this bird!
HONK

Mizuti made this flower with a pithy observation!

I'm losing my poo poo at Johnny Cats. Thanks Kad!

Look at Mizuti's little stinky prince!

Kad, I feel like this should be a magazine cover.

Kad's drawing is simply marvelous and very froggy indeed

Kad drew a doggy :D

Kad has discovered what it's like to be a dad.

Mizuti has captured my spirit animal

Mizuti has the rotting jack-o-lantern that I love that gets the squirrels drunk!

Lord Hippoman is showing us what Today's sexy vampires can't do!

Kad, why? No one needs this much ice cream!

Plant Monster knows me well.

Plant Monster knows me a little too well.

Co-Commentators!

I like to rotate co-commentators and I've got open signups. The general list is below. I'm going to mix it up frequently but generally this will be the list I pick from.

If you want in, let me know and I'll add you. This is going to be a long one. I'll usually get with you about a week out and holler at you.

Upcoming guest commentator list:

Dead Man’s Teaparty
Violet Broregarde
FluffyDeathBringer
Ayndin
HuskyHog

I ideally try to keep a mix of men, women and non-binary people for different viewpoints. In actuality, what happens is mostly men sign up. And that's good but if you identify as female or nonbinary or are a transman, let me know and I'll bump you up the list because different viewpoints are important.

If there's an LPer you want me to contact to see if I can get them to guest, let me know.

If you are an LPer and want to guest, gently caress yes, come hang out.

If you want to skip the line, complete the challenge. This applies to past commentators and future.

Current Challenge: Eat at Golden Corral. Provide Proof.

Past Challenges

Eat a Meat Mountain from Arby's Completed by Iospace

FAQ

Where's Scabs?

I try to have Scabs in each episode. Scabs is a cat. Good luck getting them to do what they don't want. Sometimes we gotta record in the morning on a weekend and she is DEFINITELY asleep. Sometimes we record while Katherine is in the shower and Scabs is trying to rescue her from the terrible water.

Where's Katherine?

I would love for Kat to do more episodes. But I've got an incredible stable full of commentators in the wings and I like making new friends too. I'll have her on every so often but if you want more Katherine, she usually streams with me.

Bestiary

Solitair is doing some chronology of the bestiary and some furniture glossaries and filling in some of the gaps I gloss over to focus on talking about penises and Subway and Lunchables and garbage.

First Post
Second Post
Third post
Fourth post
Fifth post
Sixth post
Seventh post
Eighth post

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 9, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Listen, I know that game left its scars, but you gotta move past it. It doesn't have to affect every game you LP from here on out.

True story: the original video had one frame of Yiik to start. I have no idea how it got there. It just wanted to haunt me.

I've fixed it.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

BioEnchanted posted:

I've just finished this game, so looking forward to seeing the discussion that comes out of this LP. There was a megathread for the game itself but it only lasted 3 posts before dying.

Already Helga and Andrew have more characterization than every single person in Yiik except for Alex. It's in the little things-- Helga's dialogue with Jimmy, Andrew's fascination with crystals and huge vocabulary, the relationship they have with each other. Then there's the things they do behind closed doors, which even in and of itself have a lot of depth. :wink:

It's such a deeper gag than "Rory's mom is all legs, get it?"

There's going to be a lot of yiik comparisons because both games had somewhat similar goals.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Neither exasterate nor minaculation is a real word.

I'm so angry right now.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, after voiceofdog's post that snapped into context for me. It's pretty rad.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Since we're about halfway between updates, I wanted to introduce a feature about Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass but it's really about Kasey Ozymy.

Kasey was(is?) a really prolific poster and blogger over at RPGMaker so there's years worth of his stuff over on a dev diary there, including forum posts to other RPGmaker users. A lot of you have shown interest in game design and game design process and while it's not commercial design, it's still interesting to look at how he was making it. Kasey is super supportive of fan work and I'll link him this thread when there's some more videos up.

The url for his rpgmaker posts are Here for people who want to go digging. They're mostly design focused.

quote:

Let's Get to Know You, Revolting Blob!
Housekeeping11/11/2015 04:29 PM814 views

Ah. The Revolting Blob. Sleek. Elegant. Pungent. The Revolting Blob lives in the dumpster inside all of us. The Revolting Blob shows up late to meetings. It eats onion rings and belches in your face. One time it was handed a book of manners, which was promptly eaten without a second glance.

When Jimmy transforms into the Revolting Blob, he gains the power to be universally hated by everyone. But, that’s okay. The Revolting Blob is immune to criticism. The Revolting Blob is resilient. The Revolting Blob will hock up something gross on you and laugh as you punch and kick his gooey body.

The Revolting Blob isn’t particularly strong or fast, but he has high defense, and he can solidify his body, making himself even tougher. He can also taunt enemies and make them sick, which will injure them every turn while the Revolting Blob absorbs their counterattacks with ease. A high-level Revolting Blob can increase his defense even further and get immune to the sick status effect.

Outside of battle, the Revolting Blob can use his taunt to immediately trigger an enemy encounter, so if you’re looking to hunt a specific monster, the Revolting Blob is perfect for the job. Being hated has its perks!

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 7, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

NewMars posted:

Edit: On second thought, I should PM grandmaparty about this.

Jimmy hates dogs.

LP OVER

TIME FOR GOLF STORY

No, not really.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 8, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
We gotta talk about this next episode before it goes up.

1)

gently caress.

2) Scabs was not nearby to meow into the microphone in tomorrow's episode. She was too busy trying to save Katherine from the shower. And howling.

Please accept this picture of Scabs and if you miss her come bother me on the rare occasion I stream and I'll get you your howls.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 2 is up!

Special Guest: Eat Faster.

Jimmy's still in the introductory phase. We get to see a cute town populated by cute people, get used to our battle system

And then shake a whole lot of mice.

We also meet the badass of all badasses, Mr. Cat.

Cutscene Commentary On

No Commentary

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 13, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

pumpinglemma posted:

The goon looks so happy when he's shaking people. :3:

e: Not so keen on the racist jokes though.

Whoa whoa whoa.

If this happened this needs to be addressed immediately. What'd I do?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Leroy Dennui posted:

Guessing it's the "Chinese food is cat meat" joke.

Oh hell. One of my Dad's lovely boomer prejudice jokes slipped through without me thinking about it rationally and I can definitely see where they are coming from.

Totally did not mean to fall back into that old stupid joke and didn't consider it and I'm sorry.

I'm torn as to what to do-- I can go back, edit it and reupload the video tonight (no problem)

Or

I can leave it up with this statement owning what I did and apologizing;

Or

A little bit of Both.

Edit:

I thought about it and I think the correct thing to do is own, it, apologize for it, edit the video and make sure it doesn't happen again. I'm not going to delete these posts and I'm not going to cover it over.

Hopefully you can forgive me and I'll make sure it doesn't happen again because 1) that's totally not the way I feel about China, Chinese people or Chinese food (I know what ants climb a tree is for God's sake) and 2) I didn't think it through.

I've pulled the video and I'm re-uploading first thing when I get home in an hour.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 9, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

pumpinglemma posted:

Yeah, I thought it was a bit incongruous with how cool you seemed in the OP. :) I'm not actually Chinese so I don't really get to judge here. But I am gay, so for what it's worth, if it had been an anti-gay joke then I'd say this is exactly the right response - apologise, take it out of the video, and be more careful in future. Everyone's got some internal prejudice going on, everyone fucks up sometimes, and for me what really matters is that we keep trying to be better.

It's kind of hosed up when you try to work on your prejudices and see one you missed and freak out. Thanks for the heads up and I'll look for it in the future.

There ain't gonna be any racist, sexist, anti-gay, anti-religious or anti-trans jokes in this LP :colbert:

I say that in the LP where my wife says "Maybe he's going to prep the bull" and I tell Doc to "Suck my entire dick" and then to "Eat glass."

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 9, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Video Nasty posted:

Hello yes hi I would like to guest commentate with you please too thanks. :zoid:

You got it. Thank you!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

I no poo poo thought about doing a video of me shaking things to this song (or shaky shaky or Shake it Off) but the copyright claim would get me.

Revised Episode 2 is now up.

Since I had 4 seconds of dead air, I took the time to edit in Scabs.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 10, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
On one hand, I really like shaking things and I love that Kasey put it in and everyone's got unique shaking dialogue.

On the other hand no one likes getting shaken and I'm a monster.

Moral quandary.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Qrr posted:

Something kind of fun that you can do - if you press the form action button as base Jimmy you get to see his thoughts on the area you're in.

And some people do like being shaken, like Mr Marvelous. Since there's no way you can tell who likes it before doing it, you have to do it to increase net happiness in the world.

I had no clue. I'll go snap shots of this and the Mr. Beaver dialogue today.

We will take a tour of Mr. Beaver's home later.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mill Village posted:

It doesn’t get that bad. The main problem is you have to grind on the default difficulty because the bosses are big difficulty spikes.

Guess what y'all don't have to watch or do :D

Screenshots!

If you don't touch the gross blob, you get the option to lick it.

Jimmy's field action in the beginning:

Jimmy's field action in the Cloudy Hills

Mr. Beaver 1:

Mr. Beaver 2:

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 11, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Ayndin posted:

I think you put in the wrong screenshot for one of these?

Also clearly since this is an LP Jimmy should be shaking everything For Science.

Got it. Thanks!

I will shake everything but Timothy Mouse for reasons that make me sad (he calls you a jerk if you shake him every time).

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Deadmans Tea Party posted:

I’ll put my hand up to do a commentary, if only just to prove I am not totally fuelled by anger.

If you still need one and the time distance (Australia) isn’t too much and honestly if I can get the fortitude to stand my recorded voice.

Either way, Pulsating Mass seems to be going in a lot more better way. Which is not a high bar but it seemed to have at least octupled over the bar.

Out of curiosity, which status ailment is the worst in your opinion? Or is there just one that is the most awful in general?

Ennui is the one that angers me the most because I get no exp. Terminal definitely kills you in 3 turns which is probably the nastiest.

I've got you on the list! I just did it with Ibble who's in Malaysia so no worries. We'll do it on a Saturday/Sunday morning/evening

Let's take a look at our new form.

quote:

Let’s Get to Know You, Low-Level Goon!
Housekeeping12/23/2015 06:19 PM1131 views

Nobody likes being the low man on the totem pole. But, if you remove the low man on the totem pole, what have you got? Just a new low man on the totem pole. And a shorter totem pole, but that doesn’t matter–nobody said these analogies were perfect. The important thing is that there’s always going to be a guy at the bottom, and, in the lucrative field of gooning, that guy is the Low-Level Goon.

As a Low-Level Goon, you’re going to have to deal with a variety of odd jobs: knocking off liquor stores, roughing up the homeless, throwing rocks at windows, hand-washing everyone’s leather jackets–it’s not an easy or particularly fulfilling life, but you’ve got to start somewhere.

Because of the wide range of jobs a Low-Level Goon must perform, he’s become a pretty well-rounded guy. His lack of education means he’s not the brightest bulb in the box, but he’s physically capable and surprisingly lucky. His skill set is pretty broad: he can apply first aid, rough monsters up, rob them blind, and, if you stick true to the path of goonery, you might gain a keen business savvy so that monsters give you more money.

The Low-Level Goon is a bit of a troublemaker, so his field ability allows him to shake things up. Literally. He’ll shake trees, animals, innocent bystanders–basically anything to get his jollies. Do you like it when someone shakes you? Of course not. But, when you’re a Low-Level Goon, you’re too busy pretending to be tough to care about other people’s senses of equilibrium.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Oxxidation posted:

jimmy might have the single best Steal command in the whole genre

Mill Village posted:

I didn't steal very often when I played this game. Apparently there's some amusing results if you steal from certain enemies, though.

We are going to steal everything that isn't bolted down. You will see every possible entertaining item stolen. We will steal turtles. We will steal dignity. We will steal voice boxes. We will steal furniture. We will steal stuffed versions of animals from other animals.

Stealing rules.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 3 is up!
I gotta drive an hour in the morning.

Special Guest: Ibblebibble, who is running the Girls Frontline thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885085 and co-commentating on a Dragon's Dogma thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3889074

This is a real cultural episode. We learn things about Malaysia. And what people eat in Malaysia. And how Southeast Asia, when looked at correctly, looks like a cock and balls. And where Malaysia is on that cock and balls.

And we learn what bees do to flowers.

Finally, I start doing what I do best:

Stealing everything that isn't nailed down. I steal a tasty apple out of a dogsquirrel's mouth and make my brother eat some. I also steal a stuffed animal from a real animal.

Cutscene Commentary On

No Commentary

Some quick discussion:

1) Since Ibble was up late and is 13 hours ahead, we had to record at a weird hour. Scabs was asleep.

After I made fun of Katherine for feeding a bee out of a teaspoon when it was tired and motioned for her to squeeze a cat, she poked her head out of her computer monitor and gave a real smug nooooooooo headshake.

I learned it meant that the cat was sleepy and did not want to meow instead of vengeance.

2) Good news: the next episode is loving phenomenal. Like gameplay wise it would survive without commentary.

Bad news: I have laryngitis and cannot talk and do not maintain a backlog.

I'm going to work on getting better but I have to talk for a loving living. :sigh:

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 13, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

BioEnchanted posted:

I know how you feel, I work in a call centre doing tech support.

Oh God. That's all day talking. I can't imagine how bad you have it.

I want to talk about the sunflower fight as good game design. Basically, it outheals all the damage you can do--but it's slow. And it also shows its strength as a character in it's heals.

So one, you've got to burst down the poor bees. Then the thing keeps outhealing your damage unless you taunt it, which you can quickly figure out because you've got four abilities.

Big fan, man.

Plus Helga's bee story. Seriously love her. We've seen her for three minutes and already have an idea of who she is.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 13, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Ibblebibble posted:

lol, I never did get to tell you what my raifus were.

Now's your chance!

Also:

That is 100% a dick.

Take that, Florida.

Edit:

Oh hell, while we're here, some culture.

Is char kway teow. It's stir fried noodles and savory AF.

Is garbage soup tamarind garbage Asam Laksa

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 13, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I've been scratching my head at this last one. I think the problem is now that I'm playing a good game, I can't just talk about whatever anymore and I've got to focus on the game. There'll still be time for bullshitting but I'm going to make the upcoming episodes more Jimmy-focused.

Katherine dosed me up with a load of melatonin and while I'm tired, my voice is better.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Solitair posted:

Any objections to me keeping a running tally of furniture? I'm trying to get as much of it as I can in my run, and some of these descriptions are pretty good, but I don't want to pressure GP into playing the game the same way I do.

Hell I'd love it for my own record.

I'll be showing off as much as I can and probably doing a chaos stream for the 100 level dungeon. Ugh.

Edit:

More games should have furniture.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 14, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

BioEnchanted posted:

It's really not that hard to talk about good games if you take the effort to unpack what makes them good. A bad game, sure you can spend all of the video whining about the bad mechanics over and over like most Sonic 06 lps tend to but that's hardly interesting analysis, because it's like "Yeah, we get it, we can see that..."

A good game you can unpack characterisation in environmental storytelling or animations, or discuss why a level/area is well designed or even why the area doesn't work where other areas did. Is there a consistent ethos in art design? Does a character end up carrying an otherwise dull story, and if so, how? You can find different angles to talk about. I tend to try to find the good in all the games I let's play though so I make the effort to find things to talk about.

See, that's an interesting LP design choice. Things like stats and design I think are better suited to the thread because we can take them apart (but that's just my style and opinion). I'm definitely going to make an effort to be more responsive to things as they unfold instead of going on wild tangents. I go out and watch other LPers for ideas on how to handle it. Right now I'm taking a look at how Kuvo's doing things with fire emblem. I want to reach a happy medium between design choice, snarky commentary, jokes, game explanation and penises.

Speaking of which, let's talk about the Giant's Garden.

What I should have conveyed is that the Giant's Garden is a maze. The holes go all over the place.

But if you zoom out far enough, it's a pretty simple map.

Which is pretty drat funny because it's going in the holes that makes things confusing. There's a completely fine route along the outside. Which is hilarious, because that's exactly what the goons wanted to happen.

Second, the spider web I went to get makes things Sticky. Sticky things have their agility lowered and take their turn later, which is great because Buck is a slowboy.

quote:

Let’s Get to Know You, Happy Little Sunflower!
Housekeeping02/03/2016 08:46 PM3349 views

Whew! Wahoo! Zippity-Zow! WoaahOohOahOohOahOohOah!

If those sounds of hyperconcentrated jubilation didn’t get you pumped, then you must not be a Happy Little Sunflower. And, that’s okay. Not everyone can be happy all the time. That takes a lot of dedication…and a fair amount of delusion.

For the Happy Little Sunflower, though, it’s genetic. It can’t help it. If you’re having a bad day, it’ll cheer you up with a happy little dance. Just don’t take it to work with you, cause it will NOT sit still.

You’re never in danger with a Happy Little Sunflower around. It’ll do its best to heal you when you’re sick, pick you up when you’re down, and when you’re surrounded by dark things that creep in the night, it’ll shine with sunlight to keep them at bay. Its relentless optimism can eventually be built up enough to make you gain more imagination experience in combat, which will allow you to build your different transformations that much faster, and its deep roots can pull nourishment from the ground, giving you a passive HP gain in battle.

In the field, the Happy Little Sunflower can burrow underground, allowing him to encourage strange plants to grow and find secret tunnels. Who knows what neat things you’ll find!

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 15, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

BioEnchanted posted:

BTW I'm sorry if I sounded pompous earlier. I tried to edit it in such a way that it softened the post, but I may have come across too harsh.

Nope, you sounded fine. Don't worry about it for a second.

ModeWondershot posted:

I'll happily contribute my attempt at literary analysis on a good game in live commentary for a change.

I mean, it will honestly be easier than YIIK given that I can actually have the patience to read the text.

Keep doing God's work, GrandmaParty.

I normally keep invited guests off the signup list but I added you there to reassure you I didn't forget :wink:

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 15, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 4 is up!

Special Guest: theVoiceofDog, who did the original Lisa the Painful LP. Now he runs a really popular Twitch stream at https://www.twitch.tv/thevoiceofdog where people love him and pay him money because he's fun and his voice is the kind of resonance that reminds you of old leather, tobacco and playful spankings.

There's one thing you need to know about this episode before it starts:

This episode rules.

Cutscene Commentary On

No Commentary

Some quick discussion:

1) This is where I fell in love with this game.

2) Yes, I will go shake Big Norm.

I made more of an effort to keep commentary towards the game and I brought back Scabs.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 16, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Solitair posted:

Boy, we've been fighting a lot of things lately, haven't we? Maybe I should take note of them, too.

Cloudy Hill Enemies
Puff will attack you or else do nothing. The ultimate pushover.
Puff recently got a rejection letter from an exclusive college prep school. They said he couldn't get in with his poor penmanship.

Wendy will hit everyone in your party with a weak physical attack.
Sometimes, Wendy dreams of moving to the big city so she can blow hats off people's heads and mess up their hair before important job interviews.

Nimbus will hit a single target with lightning and startle them.
Nimbus knows how to play piano, but she's too shy to perform in front of anybody.

Cumulus will laugh, then counter the next turn.
Cumulus once ate a bag of marbles thinking they were hard candy. He felt pretty embarrassed afterward.

Eddy will flex, then attack twice the next turn.
Eddy has a full-time membership at a cloud gym. It's like a regular gym, except you mostly lift clouds.

Giant Garden Enemies
Buddy Bee can startle a party member with a sting, or cheer to Motivate the enemy party, giving them all +50% stats.
Buddy Bees will befriend anything. One time, a Buddy Bee became best friends with a jar of pickles. When it found out that the jar was an inanimate object and thus incapable of friendship, the Buddy Bee cried for three days straight.

Cloud Babies will split apart on the first turn, turning into two of any cloud enemies, including Bad Weather (see below). You can steal Cloud Thread from them to make them split even sooner.
Cloud Babies aren't really babies; they actually take six years to form.

Bad Weather is a bit stronger than the other cloud enemies. It can make a storm to startle your whole party, but it's only found from Cloud Babies or that dark cave with the spider webs.
Bad Weather's scythe is so sharp because he freezes the accumulating precipitation around it when he floats high into the atmosphere.

Mack will waste turns looking self-conscious as long as he's in the same party as Mortimer. You can steal $2 from him.
One time, Mack was mistaken for a box of old clothes and was donated to the Salvation Army. He bit the employee who tried to open him and had a grand adventure walking through the city back to Homeflower.

You can steal $10 from Mortimer.
Mortimer was the son of a wealthy turtle, but he's a savvy investor in his own right. Mack took some of his advice one time and made twelve cents off of a one dollar investment. It was all he could afford at the time.

Skitter will preen over his handsomeness and attack three times the next turn. You can steal his Apple to heal the party for 25% HP and make him Angry, and also the Stuffed Skitter furniture.
Did you ever wonder why Skitters have a flower for a tail? That's actually a parasitic flower that male Skitters attach to themselves in order to find a mate. If the Skitter goes too long without finding a mate, the flower will burrow into the Skitter's brain and control it.

FURNITURE UPDATE
Rustic Set (+5 DEF)
-Windmill (+1 AGI): Makes you want to play mini-golf. Buy from Ms. Robin in Smile.
-Barrels (+1 ATK): Filled with odds and ends. Buy from Ms. Robin in Smile.
-Boring Table (+1 MDF): Perfect for a boring dinner. Buy from Ms. Robin in The Wilted Lands.
-Tree Stump (+1DEF): Formerly a regular old tree. Buy from Ms. Robin in The Wilted Lands.

Scaly Set (???)
-Snake Hatrack (+2 MAT): Perfect for various hats worn by various snakes. Steal from The Younger Mr. Asp in The Wilted Lands.
-???
-???
-???
-???

Would you like me to repeat that?

(I tried to timg the enemy sprites and it didn't work. Let me know if they're too much of a bother.)

Holy poo poo this rules so hard. Thank you Solitair! I'll link these in the first post when I get home.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Our cake really is gonna be rum raisin :(

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I don't have a dev diary for you this week.

Instead I've just got a video of more stuff that gets shook.

That "Thwack" just gets me.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 18, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I went ahead and rerecorded it so we fight big Norm. Same banner.

The level of detail and content in this game is staggering.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I put out a challenge to previous commentators, wherein if anyone scaled the Arby's Meat Mountain, they'd jump to the front of the list to comment again.

Io has summited the mountain. I have proof.

If anyone else wants to skip the line, the challenge is now "Eat at Golden Corral."

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 19, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

A friend of mine used to work at a Golden Corral, and he stole me a bunch of steak knives, which I still have. Does that count for anything?

It would if he got you their chocolate fountain

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Chocolate Bunny posted:

With how whimsical the game has been so far (even the nastier elements like the gang of thugs are pretty tame, they just walk around in leather jackets and shake people) the guy actually impaled on the spikes caught me off guard as well.

Aesthetically, it looks like a creepy drawing done by an eight year old. It's definitely an undercurrent of some of Jimmy's feelings but I don't think we're given the background to interpret it yet. There's definitely been a theme of violence towards the information guys.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

It wouldn't be an indie RPG without a bizarre turn into uncomfortable, out-of-place horror, right?

I'm going to use this as a jumping-off point for next episode.

1)

Oof.

2)

The next episode is where things get freaky. It's tough to keep up jokes with how unsettling the next portion is so next episode isn't particularly funny except for Io's puns which are terrible. :colbert:

It's unnerving.

Get ready.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 20, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 5 is up!

Special Guest: Iospace, who conquered the original test of character the Gods have placed before us. The Meat Mountain.

I pay for my insolence with an assault of horrible puns.

This episode is a strange one because it's really, really hard to be funny when it's this unnerving.

Trigger warning: body horror. Lots of it. Oh God.

Cutscene Commentary On

No Commentary

I made more of an effort to keep commentary towards the game and Scabs was asleep. It's pretty obvious I was creeped out during this episode.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I think Kasey reaches Shodan levels with this line.

There's something so visceral about "I hate every mole and mark creeping up your back" that makes it incredibly personal and pointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Future episodes are gonna have the music cranked up a bit. It's actually pretty good.