Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The AFC South Division Champion of 2019 will be...
This poll is closed.
Houtson 29 31.18%
Indianapolis 25 26.88%
Jacksonville 22 23.66%
Tennessee 17 18.28%
Total: 93 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Man, I know it's only preseason and none of it matters and all that but that Jacksonville showing last night was insane high school football levels of god awful. They never even crossed the 50 yard line. You'd almost have to TRY not to do that, especially in the first preseason game and getting into 2nd half garbage time.

Longest play from scrimmage = 16 yards. Longest rush = 8.

Imagine paying full price for an NFL ticket to watch that during the pre-season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Imagine being a jags fan.

Lol

I work in Jax and, trust me, there's not much else to loving get into up there.

Motherfuckers are all into NASCAR, golf, monster truck shows and, most especially, college football which has always been weird to me. I'm originally from Philly and have never gotten used to the insane following NCAA ball gets down here, especially considering how few of these dumb rednecks even went to college.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Different strokes for different folks.

Imagine how they feel about you.

Oh, they despise me.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jags are gonna shock everyone and win this division.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

It begins

BiggerBoat posted:

Jags are gonna shock everyone and win this division.

insider posted:

I mean his new wife obviously made him quit right? Nothing else makes sense to me after coming back from such a catastrophic injury with his shoulder and then to retire over an ankle?

Retiring like this is unprecedented. I like Luck but he royally hosed the Colts with this.

Not entirely. Jim Brown, Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson come to mind. I can't think of a QB though.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 25, 2019

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Randaconda posted:

Jim Brown quit because he had reached the top of the mountain and didn't think there was anything else he could do, so a bit different than poor Barry and Calvin getting beat down by the Lions.

Right. I just meant top tier players who still had more left in the tank.

I don't think it's fair to hang this on Luck's wife but even if she did influence his decision I'm having a hard time seeing anything wrong with that. Clearly, Luck is not right physically and more years in the NFL aren't going to help that. If his wife wants his health, body and brain intact moving forward then so what? Luck is young, intelligent, has a Stanford education, millions of dollars and a wife who loves him. I can't say I wouldn't walk either.

Besides that he really doesn't have anything going for him.

I assume he loses the remaining contract money but he's still got the garaunteed money he made along with his past salaries. Good for him really.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I've been listening to some sports talk radio today and seriously gently caress all these desk jockeys, pontificaters and assholes stirring up poo poo about Andrew.

I'll listen to an honest negative opinion about it from a former athlete or whatever and, ok, maybe he could have done it sooner. Maybe he could have timed it better. Fine. But maybe he didn't KNOW until now and was trying to fight, push forward and convince himself to keep trying. And guys on the radio getting paid to talk poo poo and generate controversy to drum up ratings, along with the listeners and callers making GBS threads the bed about their fantasy drafts can get hosed. None of them would last a single scrimmage, a walk through, or a single 2 a day practice without checking themselves into a hospital or collapsing on the field and it pisses me off to hear them ranting about what someone should do with their body, their brain and their future while couching it in resentment for all the money they made.

These players earn every loving dime they make, IMO, and Andrew Luck can do whatever the gently caress he wants to in order to maintain his health and enjoy his future with his wife. These players are modern day gladiators fighting lions every Sunday for the entertainment of the masses, gamblers and the Romans who own and make billions off of their bodies. Most of these players don't last 3 loving years and the ones that do pay an incredibly steep price for their longevity, salaries be damned.

Sorry, but the idea of calling any of these dudes quitters or implying they're pussies who can't cut it just rubs me wrong. I wish Andre Luck the best of...well..luck moving forward.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I liked Andre Luck well enough and wish him well but people freaking out that it's the end of the world need to take a step back. Let's see if Brissett can play.

Trent Green made way for Kurt Warner. Drew Bledsoe getting hurt allowed Tom Brady start. Nick Foles led Philly to their first Super Bowl win after Wentz went down. All 3 times each team and their fans assumed their seasons were doomed. Jim Plunkett was brought in off the scrap heap and led the Raiders to 2 Super Bowl victories in 4 years. Jeff Hostetler and Doug Williams led the their teams to championships when no one wanted them.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I always felt not enough was made of the fact that the team with a horseshoe on their helmet was led by a game named "Luck". That'd be like if Bart Starr played for the Cowboys

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Lesean McCoy would be a good pickup for the Jags as a change of pace and an insurance policy against Fournette turning out to be a bust.

Damarius Thomas might be worth a look too.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Metapod posted:

E: well signing Foles was dumb but you have to gamble on QBs

lol no. They needed to do something about Bortles and Foles was by far their best option. Their really dumb decision was not drafting DeSean Watson or Patrick Mahommes in 2107. Considering how many top tier draft positions they've had over the last decade, it's astonishing how little they have to show for it and some of the players they passed on. It's why they never improve.

Look at some of these top 10 picks: Bortles, Luke Joekel, Blaine Gabbert, Justin Blackmon, Tyson Alualu and Dante Fowler. Leonard Fournette is looking like a bust.

Jalen Ramsey is great, Josh Allen looks good and they've had some OK later round picks but their drafts overall have been just woeful.

They've passed on Nick Chubb, Desean Watson, Amari Cooper, Todd Gurley, Khalil Mack, Mike Evans, Odell Beckham, Aaron Donald, Lane Johnson, Deandre Hopkins, Luke Kuechley, Fletcher Cox, JJ Watt, Mark Ingram, Jason Pierre Paul, Zach Ertz, Zack Martin, Laremy Tunsil, Pat Mahommes and Dez Bryant in this decade - drafting in the top 10 every year but one and SIX TIMES in the TOP FIVE. You'd think they'd get a star or 2 through sheer luck

Those are just mostly the other first rounders and names that jumped out at me.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yes but Foles' bad is still better than Bortles' best so whats your point?

I'm not even going to be watching so I dont care so much but I think we can all agree Bortles is bad just like BOB is the worst. I defended him a few times when the team around him was also putrid but Bortles is just outright bad (I never said he was that good, just that he shouldnt get all the blame because the rest of the team supporting him was poo poo). Nick Foles is a superbowl MVP. He was mediocre under Andy Reid, Real Good under the Chipster, Real Bad on a Jeff Fisher team (which, name a QB other than Steve McNair or *checks notes* Billy Volek?!? that wasnt), then less than stellar when coming off of the bench after getting zero first team snaps all year but then got hot in the playoffs; then the next year, after getting zero first team reps all year he came off the bench and almost got the Eagles into the playoffs. You make the decision to cut Bortles and sign Foles 100 out of 100 times without a second thought. Even if he turns out to be bad he will still be better than Bortles and saying it was dumb to sign him is like saying it was dumb to drink water today.

Stupid poo poo like this is why I stopped watching football lmao, peace out folks

Metapod posted:

I mean yeah he's probably better than Bortles but that doesn't mean you should sign him to a large 4 year deal

Jags think their window is now and they may be right. They can build around that defense as long the offense doesn't gently caress poo poo up.

Bortles and Nick have been in the league roughly the same amount of time and, looking at their lifetime stats, Foles has him beat in every single category, most notably in INT% which is what JAX needs. He's also got him beat in YPA by a full yard and by 8 points in QB rating. Having Difilipo around I think will help him. If Foles can find ANY support around him and get a WR to break out a little there will be a noticeable improvement in W/L record.

Even if you consider the Chip Kelly and Jeff FIsher years as outliers, Nick's pretty solid and has shown flashes of greatness. He can throw guys open, make quick reads, throw long and usually doesn't make horrible mistakes.

I'm optimistic.

Comrayn posted:

Woke up this morning and the Clooney trade is still real and everyone who could possibly have a sports take is laughing at Bill O’Brien. gently caress.

Goerge Clooney got traded?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Also forgot to mention that Kaepernick is better than either of them but the rednecks here in Jax would burn down the loving stadium if Kahn ever signed him.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Not AFC South related but watching the entire league and the fans gradually turn on Kap is just crazy. It even started before all the anthem bullshit.

In his 1st 2 years starting, dude went 17-6 including a trip to the Super Bowl and one NFC title game. He electrified the league and had crazy running skills to boot. Any other QB with that on his resume would have been given infinite chances to play and recapture that. The 49ers went 8-8 then completely poo poo the bed and Kap went 2-6. All of a sudden apparently he couldn't play anymore which is insane. Even when they went 1-10, a look at the numbers hardly suggests you can hang that on him.

I can't remember another QB with that sort of start to his career that everyone just suddenly decided sucked. Now that half the world hates him or whatever, it's been made retroactive to suggest that he always sucked. Who else had that sort of early success and then just went poof like that?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The Big Jesus posted:

One Vincent Young

Touche. RG3 comes to mind too but neither of those guys had Kap's early success or anything close. Culpepper and Sanchez too but both of them at least got more chances. poo poo, Sanchez played last year. Very poorly.

Athanatos posted:

There were plenty of times last year it was said "Man, the Jags would be real good with a QB better than Bort."

I cant say with confidence, Foles is better than Bort.

Then you don't watch many Jags games obviously. Bortles' gently caress ups were even worse than your average turnover because the dude was famous throwing picks that went the other way for six. His flat and out routes would hit the other guy running with remarkable frequency, so basically handing the other team 7 points in a league where the average margine of victory is like 3 or 4.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pick_six_career.htm

Bortles is #34 ALL TIME in career pick sixes with only 5 years under his belt. Wow. Almost all the names ahead of him are Hall of Famers who played forever and threw hundreds more passes. Favre, Marino, Namath, Brees and Peyton. I can't find a breakdown of pick sixes per attempt but a glance at that chart tells me Bortles is #2. I took a look at Lynn Dickey but he has 2x as many lifetime attempts. Jay Cutler has like 1.75x more. The only guy I can find who's worse is Joey Harrington so...

yeah. I'll take Big Dick Nick.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 1, 2019

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Mega64 posted:

So you're saying Bort is a future Hall of Famer.

A lock.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Serious question how does an NFL team make trades without a GM?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Metapod posted:

Why is his nickname no tds?

He started basically the whole preseason and the Jags scored zero touchdowns on his drives. I think.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Shadow225 posted:

Losing to Kansas City isn't anything to be shamed of

Yeah, Andy Reid gonna dominate the regular season and go 14-2 before loving poo poo up in the AFC championship game.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Oh for gently caress's sake. That sucks.

C'mon Jags. gently caress the rednecks. Pick up a phone and give Kap a call. Nothing to lose, right? You want attention in a small market? Bring him in.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 8, 2019

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I’m shocked. I was hoping we’d be good but this is incredible

Edit: and a pick 6! :stare:

I kept cruising the stat line for this game wondering how this was even possible since the raw numbers are fairly even.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/matchup?gameId=401127928

Ok, 3-0 turnover margain but, man, loving 18 penalties on the Browns

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I don't know how good a QB he's gonna be but Gardner Minshew loving owns

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I'm in.

He did a hilarious press conference last week but gently caress if I can find the audio. Dude is funny, self deprecating, laid back, sarcastic and just oozing personality. He's got this "holy poo poo, I'm starting in the NFL, god drat can you believe it?" thing going on and, If he succeeds, he's going to get a lot of national press and soundbites.

Picturing a scenario where he does well and once again Nick is relegated to back up status behind a charismatic, young up and comer and a QB controversy happens when Foles comes back. Or Minshew could flame out entirely and suck real bad, which is far more likely, but I'm rooting for him hard because he's so much loving fun

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Reminder that the Jags have picked in the top ten 9 years over the last decade, six times in the top 5, and have passed on Mahomes, Watson and Lamar Jackson while doing jack poo poo to improve their o-line. That was a tough
beat today and ballsy for to go for 2 there at the end

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So Jaguars only 1 game out of first place then. They really should have won that game today. Ramsey dropped an easy pick 6 and there were a ton of questionable penalties on Jax at critical moments.

Also, I hate to say it but, man, JJ Watt looks like he's done.

tangy yet delightful posted:

Anyone care to breakdown the Titans/Colts or point me to a good article? I only got to watch probably 15 televised minutes (so like 3 snaps) of the first half.

Dude, I really hate to be "that guy" but do you honestly not have the internet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBR_Nvfh3WM

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 16, 2019

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Probably Magic posted:

Highlights don't tell the narrative always though. We're all in this together.

True.

The Titans' field caught on fire btw so that's a narrative

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Khan siding with this mediocre management staff over the best player that's ever played for the franchise is what will finally convince me that this team is broken all the way to the management level

I can't in good faith continue supporting a venture like that

Marrone is 2-14 in his last 14 games after a 10-6 AFC Championship Game run and a 3-1 start last year that included a win over NE. Jalen Ramsey is openly arguing with with him on the sideline and JAx is in the top 2 or 3 most penalized teams, specifically unsportsmanlike conduct, taunting and personal foul penalties during his tenure. Not looking good. All this team does is talk poo poo and celebrate bullshit while getting blown out and consistently loving up their drafts.

Wouldn't surprise me if Marrone gets the axe during the bye and Coughlin rides out the year.

And holy poo poo. You guys made me look up Venitieri's stats this year and, yeah, he's finally old and done. What a great run though.

I'm starting to think maybe he was a Chip Kelly college system QB all along

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 17, 2019

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

How come throughout all this Ramsey bullshit no one asked him about dropping a sure pick six that went through his hands last week and might have won the game?

All the Jaguars defense does is talk poo poo.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Intruder posted:

The entire division will be 2-2

There it is. Jags are tied for 1st with a 6th round backup QB no none gave a gently caress about. Where have I heard that before?

Kirios posted:

Does Nick Foles get the starting job back when he's healthy or is it Minshew's for the year?

Not a loving chance they put Nick Foles backin in if they keep winning. Minshew is mobile and Jags o-line sucks out loud. Totally blows for for Nick and as an Eagle's fan I love him to death but Jax definitely needs someone who can move back there and Foles just can't. It took them less than a quarter to get him broken. Plus, MInshew is becoming a media sensation in a market where that's incredibly rare.

And, Jesus Christ, Leonard Fournette today I mean god drat.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So, Minshew, real or hype?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Minshew reminds me a lot of Tony Romo tbqh

I don't see it.

To me he's like Kenny Stabler

WHy, yes, I am old. Why do you ask?

:corsair:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jags were stone balling today and forgot to cover the one guy that could beat them. Defense let them down today.

Also, god drat, are Buffalo and Tennessee the 2 most "win ugly" teams in the last 20 years? One of those 2 is gonna limp their way into the playoffs playing the most unsightly brand of football anyone can recall seeing.

Not AFC south related but holy poo poo the Patriots are giving up less than 7 points a game and have double the point differential of their next closest competitor.

Shadow225 posted:

Foles Minshew is gonna have a great year throwing to

DJ Chark

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

EvilBeard posted:

The offense really needs to be better. Ten is scoring 19.6 P/G. That's ranked 24th

So in other words, they're the Titans again. They've always been one of those win ugly 17-13 teams for whatever reason

At least since they stopped being the Oilers

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Teams the Jags have lost to are 16-4 and 3 of those losses were within one score. 2 were on the road and all were with a rookie backup QB. They've allowed 13 points or fewer 3x and lost 2 of those somehow

I still have hope. Not sold on the Colts and Tennessee is a loving mess.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Probably Magic posted:

Drafting Mariota didn't prevent the Titans from signing a decent backup ~at some point~ aka Year 5, so therefore it's a better pick than Jameis Winston, god bless.

loving wild they went 1 and 2 in the draft and both look like they're gonna be career backups moving forward.

True. Gotta beat somebody though. If Oakland hangs on today you've got the Colts solidly in 1st and nobody below 500 in a 3 way tie for 2nd place which is just hilarious.

Kirios posted:

The Jaguars with a good, young and cheap QB is a bad thing for the rest of the AFC South. They're gonna run this division for the next few years.

Minshew owns.

They also have a lot of draft picks (that they'll probably gently caress up) from the Ramsey trade.

They're not awful. No shame losing to KC, HOU by one point on the road with a rookie QB, and NO and CAR by a touchdown each (Panthers also on the road). Next week against the Texans will tell us a lot I think.

Gonna get real weird when Foles is ready to play though (and they're saying he's close) and then a strange QB controversy develops. I don't know how you pull this kid at this point no matter how much they're paying Nick. If the trade deadline weren't in 2 days it wouldn't have surprised me to see Foles dangled in front of, say, Chicago just to see how desperate they are. Speaking of that, would the Bears bite on Marriotta? He might fit there since Trubisky is a disaster.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Intruder posted:

I don't know how much next week is going to tell you about the Jags if no one comes back. Missing the top three CBs on the depth chart, the top safety, and also JJ

Well, it'll tell us we're ahead of Houston in the standings. And I don't want to hear poo poo about personnel issues and what not when Jax lost their starting QB in week 1, had their All Pro CB faking an injury to get traded and...I'll just quite right there but look at this poo poo:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/JAC/jacksonville-jaguars/injuries/

Cry me a loving river for the Texans' secondary.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Intruder posted:

you didn't have to get all whiny about it

Please explain.

I've been rooting for the Jaguars for 25 years.

Is there some other way to do it?

Also, the talk has already started down here about what to do at QB once Foles is healthy. I can't imagine yanking Minshew since he seems to be in a groove but consensus seems to be if they lose in London then Foles will start against Indy. I dunno.

I like Nick and really wish he could get an honest shot to fully lead a team but Gardner seems to have an "it" factor and has been playing really well. He can also move around better than Foles and that comes in handy behind this average O-line. Asking your receivers to adjust to a new...chemistry I guess...midway through a season that's on the uptick seems risky. I guess it's a good problem to have but a full blown QB controversy is not something this team needs at 4-4.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 29, 2019

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Intruder posted:

I explained within the post you quoted but culled out all but this part. All I said was that you won't really get a sense of where the Jags are as a team because the Texans are currently decimated by injuries, so any success you see against them doesn't necessarily translate into success against the rest of the league. You apparently took that as a personal affront, gave some sarcastic reply that "It'll show they're above the Texans in record", then got pissy that I brought up injuries as if I were using them as an excuse rather than a reason why stomping the Texans next week doesn't necessarily mean you're ready to go beat up the Patriots or Chiefs or Colts

:shrug:

I didn't man. I was talking poo poo about football on Something Awful.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Big Dick Nick coming back to lead a late season charge would be awesome.

Metapod posted:

I just remembered how the jags ruined themselves the chance to have an all pro CB for the next decade lmao

The loving guy didn't want to play here, faked an injury, rolled up on his coach, sold out his QB, skipped training camp and showed up in an armored car when he finally reported. He's a good player but gently caress him and good riddance.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I can't recall seeing a kicker just completely fall off a cliff like AV has this year. I know he's old but, man, his decline seems so abrupt.