Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

GDQx 2019 is over! A big thanks to everyone who participated in raising over $150,000 for AbleGamers!

This again? This again!

Indeed, for the second time, Games Done Quick makes an appearance at TwitchCon in San Diego. Running from September 27th to September 29th, it's a quick little injection of marathon to tide you over until AGDQ in January.

No chat thread this time around. Head to the actual chats instead. More on that later.

=============

Of course there's a schedule for you to check out, and as usual, it will adjust to your time zone. As always, note that times may shift a but as the marathon goes on, due to runs finishing under estimate and such. But they usually try to make sure that runs start when they're supposed to.

The marathon can be watched on the Games Done Quick website, which'll have all the stuff you need when the marathon starts. You can also watch using the GDQ Twitch channel, if you have to.

Even betterer is however to use Streamlink, especially Streamlink Twitch GUI, to let you watch in your media player of choice (like we've gone through several times before - it's an improved fork of Livestreamer, so switch if you haven't already). I consider mpv to be the superior choice, but basically anything that plays video files should do it for you.

Should you miss something you really want to watch, you can catch up afterwards. Watching live is always the most fun, but recordings of all the runs will eventually show up at the Games Done Quick Youtube channel. And not to forget, the goon-run (by none other than Steve Holt!) site GDQ VODs will have links to both timestamped VODs and - when they exist - Youtube videos of all the runs. Attempts are made to keep up with it during the marathon, but the site admin has to sleep too, so just be patient. You can usually also find a Reddit thread with timestamped links.

So! Chats! Without a chat thread, you have the classic IRC and the somewhat less classic Discord, with a couple of alternatives for both GDQ channels and Goon channels (and stay the hell away from Twitch chat):

GDQ IRC: #sdamarathon at irc.quakenet.org
Direct link | Quakenet Webchat
GDQ Discord

Goon IRC: #speedruns at irc.synirc.net
Direct link | synirc Webchat
Goon speedrunning Discord | Speedfriends Shitposting (this is where you go to be a speedfriend if you want chat thread-esque... well, chat)

=============

Quick history section: Games Done Quick started in 2010, with Classic Games Done Quick hosted in Mike Uyama's basement that raised money for CARE. It's grown a whole lot since, now having two major marathons annually - Awesome Games Done Quick in January raising money for the Prevent Cancer Foundation, and Summer Games Done Quick some time during June-August, raising money for Doctors Without Borders. A number of milestones have been hit: AGDQ 2014 was the first GDQ event to raise over a million dollars, AGDQ 2017 the first to raise over two million, and only three months ago, the three million mark was broken at SGDQ 2019 - which was also the event that brought the total amount of money raised through Games Done Quick events over twenty million dollars, all the way to a tad over twenty-two million.

GDQx 2019 will be raising money for The AbleGamers Foundation.

=============

To donate to this good cause, you head right on over to the donation page for GDQx 2019, where you can part with your money and leave a comment to go with it. Any good comments will be read on stream, so take your chance! You can also put your money towards donation incentives or bid wars. When those exist, you'll be able to find them on the tracker page for that. There are also prizes to be had, and by donating at least the specified amount during the specified time you'll get entered into the raffle.

=============

And here's your standard GDQ FAQ, shortened version for a shorter GDQ!

Q: What runs should I watch?
A: There's simply not a single answer to this question! Peruse the schedule and find what's interesting to you. Recommendations will be posted in the thread.

Q: Is ____ going to be there?
A: If you don't find them listed on the schedule as a runner or a commentator, then it doesn't actually matter. Yes, there's controversial people in the community - this is not the place to discuss them.

Q: Why isn't ____ on the schedule?
A: For a three-day marathon, what do you expect? There's just not enough room. And/or nobody submitted a run for it.

Q: I heard GDQ has banned fun from their events?
A: That's just a silly misconception. There's no fun police, and certainly no rules in place that state everything has to be super serious and clinical. A rule that is in place is that people on camera who aren't the runner shouldn't be taking focus or attention away from the run or the runner(s). When you're an event the size of GDQ, allowing people to do whatever they want on camera just isn't possible.

Q: Where is this happening?
A: GDQx 2019 is part of TwitchCon 2019, happening in San Diego.

=============

And that's about it! Let's enjoy another chill little marathon together, and be great to each other.

=============

Past marathon threads:
AGDQ 2012 | AGDQ 2013 | SGDQ 2013 | AGDQ 2014 | SGDQ 2014 | ESA 2014 | AGDQ 2015 | ESA 2015 | SGDQ 2015 | AGDQ 2016 | SGDQ 2016 | ESA 2016 | AGDQ 2017 (Chat) | SGDQ 2017 (Chat) | ESA 2017 | HRDQ | AGDQ 2018 (Chat) | SGDQ 2018 (Chat) | ESA 2018 (Chat) | GDQx 2018 (Chat) | AGDQ 2019 | ESAW 2019 | SGDQ 2019 | ESA 2019

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Sep 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Guess what? I'm reserving this post!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I’m reserving this one.

gently caress cops

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its gonna be good

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Countdown is live:

https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
5 minutes to EXTREME GDQ!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Oh hey this is happening this weekend!!!

Haven't watched a Celeste run in a while so this will do just fine!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
celeste is definitely one of those games thats really fun to watch speedrun because of how hard it is casually

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Yay No Major Glitches RotT!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm afraid these games are going too quick. We have to slow them down.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

SENT!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Hey guys, random question here. How many button presses does it take to make Mario jump???

Just something I was wondering about, no reason.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Hey guys, random question here. How many button presses does it take to make Mario jump???

Just something I was wondering about, no reason.

1/2

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

why isn't this called Games Done Quick Done Quick

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lunar dragon is my favorite SMW category

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Just wanted to mention the staff came up to me near the beginning of DMC3 and told me to only talk about Super Ryu World during donation breaks. So, hard push it was.

...it did work after all.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I like ryu world 2

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that cadence run was sick

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

BUTT CLENCHING ENDING! Good run!

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
What is going on

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Zelda 2 co-op run. P1 is playing the game, P2 is playing the music.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

This is neat. Not the most entertaining thing in the world, but neat nonetheless.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

This piano% run is interesting. Although, it is weird how there are 2 folks on the couch, the player, and the pianist, and we have a single person commentating. And erratically, even.

Is the pianist just reading the stuff live? Impressive if so. Disappointing if this is after a lot of practice.

ed: That being said, a full hour with rapidly having to switch across songs is no mean feat.

Synastren fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 28, 2019

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

The gimmick would have gone a bit better with a game with either a bigger score or a much shorter run.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeaaahhh, cool idea but in practice its messy.

Performing live is def hard, and there's pressure as GDQ is pretty big.

But it doesn't sound super great.

Thing is having to swap songs back and forth and back and forth is brutal. A game like zelda is maybe a bad fit? Maybe an rpg would work better. Speedrunning makes it even worse. :/

Video games live tried the same thing with a full orchestra and it was also kinda odd. But they also used mario where each stage has a set song that generally plays, and the interactive stuff is just invincibility song and coin noises and death song.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Piano accompanied runs were done back in 2011 and 2012 for Battletoads and Castlevania. Not as rapidly switching with the BGM but still frequent. I think a straight RPG would be 1) too long and 2) have even more frequent changes due to random battles.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Being relatively new to gdq, i always forget mike like, actually does speedrunning and isnt just the organizer

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Just wanted to mention the staff came up to me near the beginning of DMC3 and told me to only talk about Super Ryu World during donation breaks. So, hard push it was.

...it did work after all.

hey you did an awesome job hosting. Good luck on your next shift

site posted:

Being relatively new to gdq, i always forget mike like, actually does speedrunning and isnt just the organizer

He did like 3-4 runs for Big Bad Gameathon (recent online marathon of bad games). definitely knows his Genesis/trash video games

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Me 45 minutes ago: going for a WR, this guy's flexing

Me now: [astonished Pikachu]

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Solarin posted:

He did like 3-4 runs for Big Bad Gameathon (recent online marathon of bad games). definitely knows his Genesis/trash video games

one of the best moments at SGDQ this year was Mike rolling up to my pringles setups and just going to town showing off stuff on his genesis flash cart.

yes he kept that thang on him, a controller too.

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Sep 28, 2019

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Oh crap I forgot about this one. Missed a bunch of stuff already! Drat.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
The Flashback and Jurassic Park runs were pretty good!

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

What the heck, is Fester's Quest just literally Blaster Master 2.0? Those frog sprites and that whip arm boss, haha.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

ElegantFugue posted:

What the heck, is Fester's Quest just literally Blaster Master 2.0? Those frog sprites and that whip arm boss, haha.

Both games were made by Sunsoft so yep

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Solarin posted:

Thanks! Glad you liked it because I'm probably going to have to do it all again for bonus game 3 tonight.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

They called the third blaster master Gremlins 2

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wrex Ruckus posted:

They called the third blaster master Gremlins 2

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Blind super punchout race is now. :woop:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Boogalo posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Boogalo posted:

The race is REALLY close right now, too. Only a few seconds difference.

Edit: welp, never mind

Musical_Daredevil fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 28, 2019