Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I keep trying to play metal gear 5 and it always makes me depressed. it's so good but if I play it, it's just so lovely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snRsuIehwBc

I had significantly more fun once I started ignoring the mission parameters for no-kills. Lets you rack up the money really fast.

I lost interest a bit after rescuing code talker, though... but at that point I had logged 30-40 hours and felt I got my :10bux: worth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Kenny Logins posted:

desktop dungeons is good timewaste, to a point

I keep hoping someone will take the idea and run with it for a new game, but alas…

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
The first game I clearly remember playing is the Commodore 64 version of Zaxxon.

The first game I remember buying is probably either a shareware disk of Commander Keen: Keen Dreams, or the Flintstones DOS game that didn't run unless you clicked the turbo button down to 33mhz.

Lots of copied shareware from my dad and his friends though.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Man, I was having a good time with Subnautica Below Zero, and it just crashed on me... and apparently it doesn't auto save... so I just lost about 5 hours of playtime. Just as I (pleased as punch) finished building my first moon pool, tooo.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I'm getting my money's worth, but I wish the PS4 version was more stable. The crashes are making me tolerate the pop-in less. I love the PDA voice, though. I wish they'd gone harder on the advertising slogans, though.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

haveblue posted:

I lost my first seamoth by parking it a couple of meters above crush depth and when I came back it was in pieces

might have been a bug but I choose to believe something big came along and pushed it down

IIRC your vehicles retain a bit of momentum if you're not careful when exiting. I lost a 'moth that way, too.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

the below zero seatruck is even worse for getting stuck places once it’s got some carriages attached

I got rid of them because I am already a bad seatrucker.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

jesus WEP posted:

this all sounds bad

IMO, playing on normal, it was mostly just "annoying" and made the pacing a little uneven at some points. It was only really hair-pulling for an optional boss.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

nah you have to lean into the story too and enjoy it for what it is. again some great voice work in this game from people who aren't kiefer.

the key to enjoyment in mgs5 for me was training myself to not care about perfectionism on your first play through of a mission. Resetting over and over again just makes things a slog, and the payout difference between an A and a C grade is small enough to not care about.

also, don’t expect subtlety. Kojima is bad at subtlety.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Sagebrush posted:

if you quickly build the seaglide and a bunch of high-capacity air tanks it is possible to get all the way to the sea emperor, cure yourself, and disable the gun platform before the ship even arrives, in which case the crew says there's a debris field preventing them from landing and they just leave instead :mad:

this makes me 2x happier with subnautica 1

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

its a very, very good game that i have zero intention of ever going back and playing it again because it took absolutely forever to get anywhere. it's the antihesis of "a game you can pick up for 30 minutes and then put down" because in 30 minutes the game has loaded and you may have rode your horse to where you wanted to go. if you accidentally trampled someone or some nerd got bit by a snake and needs help that's what you're doing.

yeah, I thought it was a beautiful game that legitimately did not want me to play it because it required so much "buy-in/attention currency" to get going. If a game doesn't have breaks, my adhd hyper-focus kicks in and I'm losing 3-4 hours that I probably shouldn't let myself burn.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Corla Plankun posted:

I really liked Witcher Wild Hunt when I played it and purposely saved the expansions for when I got a better computer, but I finally upgraded and I don't remember anything about this game at all. Video games need to start including a special cheat for people in their 30s where you can type it in and invoke the tutorial at any time and any place

Blood and Wine is worth it, though. Same janky gameplay as the core game, but the story is MUCH more engaging IMO

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Roosevelt posted:

my brother gave me a xbox series s for a wedding present. what do i do with this thing? i havent had a console since playstation 2

Plug it in first.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

TOOT BOOT posted:

It mystifies me that they never made DLC for Slay The Spire

Slay the Spire and Hollow Knight... the devs spoiled us.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

PokeJoe posted:

what are the best switch games? i only ever play ring fit on mine.

Beyond Breath of the Wild, Mario:Odyssey, and Hades, what are you looking for?

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Shifty Pony posted:

all of the stardew valley ports are great. about the only real complaints you can have about them are that they take a bit longer to get any updates and you don't get any mod support.

which is a bit of a bummer because there are some really good mods like the Seasonal Villager Outfits mod (which not only has seasonal outfits but special outfits for each festival and for rain/snow).

aesthetically... my brain says "OH HELL YES" to the seasonal outfits.

logically... I have enough time telling people apart still.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I'm lookin' at the Playstation "Summer Sale" thing... and I'm trying to decide between AssCreed:Greeks, Farcry 4, or DragonQuest Builders 2... Probably will just succumb to the ennui and just play more Mario 3D World.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Kenny Logins posted:

oh poo poo dq builders 2 is on sale?

35% off https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0082-CUSA11230_00-DQB2DIGITALED001/

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

President Beep posted:

and i have a switch lite of my own :twisted:

this is key when the kids discover pokemans.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

President Beep posted:

by my calculations two half lifes are a whole life.

three quarters

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Ciaphas posted:

outer wilds stands firmly apart in my mind from other games because it tells its tale in a way that could never be told by any other existing form of media

i wish there were more games like that, but for now i'll settle for waiting with bated breath for this expansion

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

President Beep posted:

he actually does that in breath of the wild

Kenny Logins posted:

who? the main hero character zelda?

No, Shrek. keep up with the thread

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
chronotrigger is good, but it still is eclipsed in my mind by Final Fantasy 6, but that may be just due to where I was when I played them on zsnes them back in the early 2000s

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I love the IDEA of the FFVI randomizer, but I'm just not good enough at the core mechanics to really have fun with it. https://ff6wc.com/

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
picked up yakuza 0 for $4 on the PS store. So far I dig its style. The over-the-top melodrama amuses me as it whiplashes from silly to overly silly (I'm only on chapter 2) but I could see how it might turn some people off. The combat is pretty low-impact and simple, but so far I dig it. Love the money flying off everyone. The minigames are a little meh, but I can live with them as long as the story keeps firing the way it comes out the gate

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I’ve gotten through chapter 2 now, and I’m still laughing at

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Granite Octopus posted:

playing through yakuza 0 atm. first game in the series I’ve played. can’t wait to try the others

Majima’s entrance scene is worth at least double the $5 I paid for Yakuza 0 on its own.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

RokosCockatrice posted:

Ok how the hell did 44% of people who own hades even play the game, let alone beat thanatos by 15 kills?!

There has to be something broken with these achievements, 27% of people have caught a fish in each region, which means over a quarter of people who bought this incredibly hard game have beaten hades enough times they happened to have a fish spawn in greece. Are these numbers elevated somehow? Am I just awful at video games?

I think I have less than 20 ascensions in Hades and I've gotten two fish in Greece. I think you might just be unlucky?

EDIT: Also, the thanos thing is surprisingly easy sometimes... especially if you spawn Thanatos in Asphodel

MrQueasy fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 2, 2021

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
looks like we got ourselves some sort of Bubba HOTAS

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Sorry to interrupt the Real Sim Peripheral Talk, but Deltarune Chapter 2 was very :3:

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
finally got my hands on a PS5 for MSRP. God gently caress this thing is huge.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

TontoCorazon posted:

Hey let me borrow it for a few days

no way man, I'm trying to finish Yakuza 0.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

AnimeIsTrash posted:

it's a good game

but it's not for everyone... I couldn't maintain interest so I quit somewhere just beyond the first spacewalk section

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

After grinding out the Real Estate section... I think I'm just going to power through the story and call it a day. I've realized that I'm not having as much fun with the minigames as I am the ludicrous melodramatic whiplash of the side-stories and the main content.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
finished the Story of Yakuza 0. Solid stuff, but it doesn't really inspire me to go play the other games. I feel like the sheer number of competing systems worked to make things feel lived in, but the achievement grinding on top of that made the minigames feel like work. Loved the ridiculous story whiplash, though.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Man, I got a ps5, but after 100%ing bugsnax and astro bot, I'm not really feeling paying full price on any of the existing games... Maybe I'll just replay Control.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I somehow have never played uncharted despite owning a ps4 since it first came out. I started playing it this weekend, it's pretty fun. They should make more games like this.

They're very chill "exciting" games. Nothing too taxing, but very pretty to look at and they don't overstay their welcome (mostly)

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Uncharted 4 is the most satisfying wrap up to Nathan Drake's "career" that anyone could have hoped for. Absolutely gorgeous, and the story manages to stick its Uber-Schmaltz ending.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I hate the large set piece battles towards the later portions of both games as the gunplay really sucks and you a lot of the times I end up in situations where I get cornered and then die to people shooting me from everywhere.

Hard agree. IMO it's amazing how much goodwill that Uncharted burns on big gunplay sections. Just let me do mild puzzle platforming in cool locations and I'll be happy hanging out with Nathan's Wacky Pals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

The_Franz posted:

i forget if it was 2 or 3 that had the part where you run from a collapsing tower, but you have to run towards the camera not being able to see where you are going, because a team of 50 people probably spent a month animating that sequence, and you do get to see it, over and over again, because deviating from the invisible path that you can't see and the game gives you no hints about, being even slightly too slow, or trying to move the camera so that you can see where you are going causes you to instantly die even though nothing hit you

2 and 3 run together a bit in my head. But I remember being frustrated by a section like that multiple times. 4 makes up for it by doing the same thing but somehow making it work (better telegraphing, shorter chunks, being WAY more balls-to-the-wall silly, IIRC)