Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I’m biased because I like the visual style of Airport CEO more anyway, but it does seem like airport CEO was a bit more... fleshed out and is basically the same game? Not sure if others would agree with me though.
Airport CEO seems better/more enjoyable for stuff outside the terminal, while SimAirport terminals seem better. Both games lack noticeably in the everyday employee management part. IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Two questions about the game:

1) is there a pause key? My settings are not in English.
2) How do you make refined oil? Doesn’t seem to be with the oil refinery.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The output of the oil extractor has to be a conveyor, not a sorter. Also the conveyor has to start in the middle spot (where the oil patch is), not the edge of the extractor like other machines.

In the refinery, the Plasma Refining recipe will turn crude into refined + hydrogen.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
What the heck do you do with all the refined oil you make while making hydrogen for red science?

I know you can sort of loop it around with 2 H to make 3H, but other than that I’m just making boxes and boxes of polymers and it’s getting kind of annoying.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Save it in tanks to make sulphuric acid later.
There’s that, but get this: you can burn refined oil as fuel in the power plant. :ughh:

I need to quit for the day.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Skyl3lazer posted:

DSP: You can stack the research labs on top of each other and they just work off of the bottom input/output, so don't worry about having to build a new footprint!
Same with storage boxes, liquid tanks, and ... something else, I forget.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Stuck again. What do you do once you need (thousands of) yellow science and your planet has no titanium deposits?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Just built a building that apparently requires more power than the total of the rest of my base. Good stopping point, I think.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I just can’t figure out the interplanetary shipping, can use some help. I want to ship titanium from planet A to planet B.

Both planets have an interstellar logistics station on them. Each station has 2 drones and 4 vessels, just for the heck of it. Both stations are fully charged. Both stations have conveyor -> box setups connected, one as a feeder, the other as a dump. Station A is full of titanium.

Station A is set to local supply and remote demand.
Station B is set to local demand and remote supply.

Nothing is happening. What am I missing?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

spckr posted:

I made the same mistake at first. "Local" means intraplanetary, "remote" means interplanetary. So you need to set A to remote supply and B to remote demand.
Oh sonoffa

Thanks a lot, that was driving me nuts.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

toasterwarrior posted:

I hosed up by trying to build a interstellar transport chain without sufficient power, and man, you need a LOT of fuckin power.
It’s only 300 wind turbines worth of power, sheesh.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Alkydere posted:

You're making more and more and more hydrogen as a byproduct and almost looking for something to do with.
And they you learn about deuterium, and it seems to shift again.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

fappenmeister posted:

So Dawn of Man is on my list, what about Founders' Fortune or Astroneer?
I enjoyed Dawn of Man and Astroneer quite a bit, but have absolutely no desire to replay them. Especially Astroneer, it was fun but one-and-done.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

SkyeAuroline posted:

The brave engineer's budding rats nests of belts
Holy poo poo looking at that five-smelter-three-splitter brick production block in the lower left brings on a roller coaster of emotion.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
In voxel tycoon what does the radius around a research lab represent?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

lunar detritus posted:

But you can already do this, unless I'm not understanding the problem.

One other thing it’s easy to miss, those routes are created when you assign stops to a truck route (duh). Specifically there’s a “save as” link right next to the OK button.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Arsenic Lupin posted:

e: I just want to buy 5 trucks at a time, dammit, without cycling through that set of menus for each one.
When you buy a truck, assign it a route, but it’s still in the garage ... in the bottom right corner of the garage window there’s an icon that looks like two overlapping boxes. That’s a clone tool. Click it, then the truck, and you’ll buy a second identical truck already assigned to the same route. If you shift click the icon, you can clone multiples.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Awesome. Thank you.
I made a mistake. To clone multiples, you regular click the clone tool, then shift-click the vehicle you want to clone.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
At first glance, seed goonygoon shows promise. Two of the cities are pretty close to each other (and wood and coal) and in between them (but north, like a triangle) is a large area that’s relatively flat.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

DurosKlav posted:

I feel like the card system is kind of fun to begin with, but you quickly reach a point where you're constantly getting wildcards so it stops really being a thing.
I also remember once you get stable, lacking the card you wanted pretty much disappeared.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Poil posted:

Yeah, if you pick the wrong things you don't really make any money.
I started a game the other day, and did nothing but the minimum to raise and slaughter chickens. After about half an hour, I had 9 coops and a slaughterhouse, and just two employee houses, a silo, and a warehouse. Chickens were eating three cheap foods - corn, soya, and potatoes.

When I stopped, I was netting about 15,000 per month. A combine costs 300k.

Game is slow.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

explosivo posted:

EG2 feels like the intersection of a couple different genres with no particular one standing out as the primary focus, and it makes it feel like a game that was made by 8 different teams who all brought their parts of the game together in a couple weeks or something.
The idea that kept popping into my head after playing it for a good while is the development team seems to have good art people, competent programmers, but no one who actually plays games.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
As I remember it, Factory Town had zero failure or time pressure.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Mayveena posted:

I can see my way forward in Anno.
In Factorio, your advancement path is making the different science vials, basically. Fill in blanks along the way that will help you do that.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

quote:

In Anno I don't have to. I look at the supply/demand counters and my inventory and make as is obviously needed.
Right. You probably realize this but in Factorio, instead of supply/demand counters you have “is this belt full” and “is that building unlit when it should be running”. I suppose you could maybe look at production graphs, but pfft. I wing it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Kvlt! posted:

I have too many games on my plate too but I absolutely adore this art style.
The Universim also has the “kind of cartoony on a small globe” look.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It does. The only gotcha is it only copies buildings and inserters, so you have to have your conveyor belts already built.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

zoux posted:

I'm watching the (very good) For All Mankind and it makes me wanna run a space program. I know KSP, but what's out there that won't require a calculator
Nothing. There was a game called Race To Mars or something, but it was abandoned.

Edit: no I was mixing up two games. There’s another that’s called Mars Horizon.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 12, 2021

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
From the little I’ve seen, Patron is Banished with a research tree.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

StrixNebulosa posted:

Quick, Sim Airport or Airport CEO?
As I remember it,

SimAirport if you want to focus on cool terminals and mediocre airports.
Airport CEO if you want to focus on cool airports and mediocre terminals.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Lack of money isn’t really a factor in TF2 once you realize a certain concept which I won’t mention because it really does change the game a lot.

The only mods I remember using regularly were ones that added item demands to cities. Because after a while it got annoying that (as an illustration) your only forestry was in Seattle, your only lumber mill was in St. Louis, and the only people that wanted planks were in San Francisco.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

SkyeAuroline posted:

it's very unclear what's going on 90% of the time. Could just be me though.
No, that’s just how it is.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Agean90 posted:

what I want is a city builder where you don't have divine control over what gets built and have to actually engage in politics
I have a feeling such a game would end up in one or both scenarios:

1) People figure out One Weird Trick and there’s one strategy that’s significantly easier than any other, making the challenge trivial.
2) People realize dealing with local politics is not fun at all.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I really wish that W&R had a way to upgrade roads in place, like paving one side while letting traffic flow slowly through the other side. Making sure there’s alternate routes to everywhere before upgrading a road is a pain.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Well the simplest solution is just to pay cash for instaroad. But I usually just do that for the driveways connecting the buildings to the actual road.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Filling up homemade lakes would be my guess.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Does power do anything for the inventor huts or are the ports there just so you can pass power through the building?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It’s kind of bullshit that your possible settings on floodgate height are only 0, 0.5, and 1, IMO. Three inch long slider bar with only three detents.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Setting it to 1 will flood some of your shore tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Arsenic Lupin posted:

On the default map, where do you folks usually seed your second district? Up and to the left?

This doesn’t answer your question, but you can just barely reach that scrap pile (or 80% of it) from the starting district building. Only the gathering flag has to be on the reachable portion of your path.