Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEkC6InjWQ8

(new thread, that's weird)

Hey, remember Doctor Who? You know, Doctor Who? It's back for the 60th Anniversary! Russell T Davies is back! David Tennant is back! Catherine Tate is back! Beep the Meep is...well, not back, exactly, but you know what I mean.

Now, I know what you're thinking: "why is it 2008 again?" Well, I don't know. What I DO know is that this is only for three sixty-minute episodes before we start the Ncuti Gatwa era of Doctor Who, for which they're already working on episodes to air in 2025. Hey, remember how the last showrunner waited until the season was over before starting work on the next one? Yeah, that was bad. Not as bad as the new international television deal, but we'll get to that in due time.

The three specials will air on Saturdays, starting November 25th, and a Christmas special will air...around...Christmas? It's been a while, I don't remember how to do these things.

The previous thread can be found here. Now, the formalities.

NO SPOILERS
We have a designated spoiler thread that is thankfully relevant once again. If you think it's a spoiler, don't post it in this thread!

HOWEVER, as soon HRH the K (R.I.P. Liz 2) is able to watch it on BBC One, it is no longer a spoiler. KEEP THIS IN MIND while you try to keep attention while the Doctor is buffering with a wacky look on his face.

WHERE DO I START?
These upcoming specials are as good a time as any! Maybe. If you want to watch the original series, there are plenty of places to start. You COULD start with An Unearthly Child and watch everything in chronological order. You could also watch individual serials of all the Doctors and determine which you like the best. Keep in mind, don't shotgun a whole Hartnell or Troughton in one go, or else you'll get complacent. Those 60's episodes are meant to be seen one at a time, and if you only just rented the DVD, wait a few hours between episodes.

The most popular serials for the original series you can jump into are:

First Doctor: An Unearthly Child, The Aztecs
Second Doctor: The Tomb of the Cybermen, The Enemy of the World
Third Doctor: Spearhead from Space, Carnival of Monsters
Fourth Doctor: Pyramids of Mars, The Robots of Death
Fifth Doctor: Kinda, Frontios
Sixth Doctor: Vengeance on Varos, Revelation of the Daleks
Seventh Doctor: Dragonfire, Remembrance of the Daleks

WHERE CAN I WATCH DOCTOR WHO?
Ah, the elephant in the room. In the UK, everything is normal and you can watch Doctor Who on BBC One and the iPlayer. Outside of the UK, though, it gets complicated.

BritBox is the place to watch almost every existing episode of the original series. In addition, you're in luck if you're an American, as you can watch the original run of Doctor Who on honest-to-goodness TV (Retro TV and some PBS stations)! For the current run, new episodes will not be on TV, but instead streamed on Disney+. With that being said, AS OF THIS TYPING I can still watch Doctor Who on Max here in the United States, and Australians can still watch Doctor Who on Binge and Foxtel Now. It's entirely possible this confusing situation continues onward (Max's contract with Doctor Who reportedly lasts until next series).

SHOULD I BUY THE DVDs AND BLU-RAYs?
Just for the bonus features alone.

THE ALL-NEW GUIDE TO BIG FINISH
There are literally THOUSANDS of Doctor Who and Doctor Who-related audio dramas released by Big Finish Productions. In previous threads, I would pour over all the individual lines and describe them. With the great restructure of Big Finish lines, though, I have to adapt. So, here are some bullet points:

-Doctors 1-12 have their own individual lines now, although obviously the first three Doctors are not played by Hartnell, Troughton, and Pertwee. Here's a handy guide: if it's current series Doctor Who, "Adventures" means it's the actual actors, while "Chronicles" means it's not.
-The Companion Chronicles & the Early Adventures generally do not feature the Doctor, and some of them are essentially audiobooks with sound effects. Check the cast list if you want to know which is which.
-If you have ever asked "what about <random character x>?", boy are you in luck! There are so many spin-offs featuring characters both familiar and unfamiliar that you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a series that makes you say "THEY got a series?" Some are good, some are bad, most are unremarkable.
-Everyone has a taste, so don't rely on other people's opinions. For example, I don't care for or about Charlotte Pollard and her spin-off, but some people do! Some crazy people enjoy the story Nekromanteia - you do you!

THE DISCORD
Here it is. The future is now!

FINALLY, let's take a look back....all the way to ten years ago! Before the Day of the Doctor came the Night of the Doctor, and this was the reaction:

DJ Ramshackle posted:

HOLY loving poo poo

"I'm a doctor, just not the one you were expecting"

And now you know...the REST of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Just spotted the new thread.

I'm almost done with my rewatch of Davies/first watch of everything else. First time seeing most of Matt Smith and all of Peter Capaldi's seasons. Didn't expect to like Capaldi's Doctor as much as I have

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Apparently 15ths first season is gonna be branded as Season 1, so look forward to that confusing naming scheme.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Senor Tron posted:

Apparently 15ths first season is gonna be branded as Season 1, so look forward to that confusing naming scheme.

It's Season 40 to me :colbert:

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Classic doctor who
Modern doctor who
Disney doctor who tm

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
This is the first season 1 since 2005, right? RTD really said "I'll loving do it again".

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
"You've redecorated! I LOVE it!"

(At least Jodie got some good moments from time to time.)

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

Senor Tron posted:

Moffat did the same thing when Smith came on board. Said it was Season 1. Tbh though, the numbering scheme that's been in use for NuWho (i.e. with Smith taking over in s05) kinda doesn't work now. Did Thirteen get three seasons or four? Tennant's "year of specials" always felt like basically a season to me anyway.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

I do not have words for the sheer childish glee I expressed when McGann was revealed in Night of the Doctor.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Coward posted:

I do not have words for the sheer childish glee I expressed when McGann was revealed in Night of the Doctor.

Same. It was cool to see, but also for building up hype because WTF this huge thing is just an online short building up to the anniversary special how bloody wild is THAT gonna be?!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Edward Mass posted:

You COULD start with An Unearthly Child.

No you can't. :negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

As always shameless self-advertising! (Click here to bypass this post entirely if you don't want to read it!): An index of the write-ups I've done for all the Revival Episodes so far, as well as the (distressingly large number) of Big Finish Audios I've listened to so far.

Be warned that most of the television write-ups feature a number of spoilers for future episodes as well, as they were all written months or years after I saw them on original airing. Audio write-ups may also feature references to episodes of the show, both classic and revival.

Television
8th Doctor - TV Movie: The Enemy Within | The Night of the Doctor
War Doctor - The Day of the Doctor
9th Doctor - Rose | The End of the World | The Unquiet Dead | Aliens of London/World War 3 | Dalek | The Long Game | Father's Day | The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances | Boom Town | Bad Wolf | The Parting of the Ways
10th Doctor - The Christmas Invasion | New Earth | Tooth and Claw | School Reunion | The Girl in the Fireplace | Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel | The Idiot's Lantern | The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit | Love and Monsters | Fear Her | Army of Ghosts | Doomsday | The Runaway Bride | Smith & Jones | The Shakespeare Code | Gridlock | Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks | The Lazarus Experiment | 42 | Human Nature/The Family of Blood | Blink | Utopia | The Sound of Drums | The Last of the Time Lords | Time Crash | Voyage of the Damned | Partners in Crime | The Fires of Pompeii | Planet of the Ood | The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky | The Doctor's Daughter | The Unicorn and the Wasp | Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead | Midnight | Turn Left | The Stolen Earth/Journey's End | The Next Doctor | Planet of the Dead | Waters of Mars | The End of Time
11th Doctor - The Eleventh Hour | The Beast Below | Victory of the Daleks | Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone | The Vampires of Venice | Amy's Choice | The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood | Vincent and the Doctor | The Lodger | The Pandorica Opens | The Big Bang | A Christmas Carol | The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon | The Curse of the Black Spot | The Doctor's Wife | The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People | A Good Man Goes To War | Let's Kill Hitler | Night Terrors | The Girl Who Waited | The God Complex | Closing Time | The Wedding of River Song | The Doctor, The Widow & The Wardrobe | Asylum of the Daleks | Dinosaurs on a Spaceship | A Town Called Mercy | The Power of Three | The Angels Take Manhattan | The Snowmen | The Bells of Saint John | The Rings of Akhaten | Cold War | Hide | Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS | The Crimson Horror | Nightmare in Silver | The Name of the Doctor | The Day of the Doctor | The Time of the Doctor
12th Doctor - Deep Breath | Into the Dalek | Robot of Sherwood | Listen | Time Heist | The Caretaker | Kill the Moon | Mummy on the Orient Express | Flatline | In the Forest of the Night | Dark Water | Death in Heaven | Last Christmas | The Magician's Apprentice | The Witch's Familiar | Under the Lake/Before the Flood | The Girl Who Died | The Woman Who Lived | The Zygon Invasion | The Zygon Inversion | Sleep No More | Face the Raven | Heaven Sent | Hell Bent | The Husbands of River Song |The Return of Doctor Mysterio | The Pilot | Smile | Thin Ice | Knock Knock | Oxygen | Extremis | The Pyramid at the End of the World | The Lie of the Land | Empress of Mars | The Eaters of Light | World Enough and Time | The Doctor Falls | Twice Upon A Time
13th Doctor - The Woman Who Fell to Earth | The Ghost Monument | Rosa | Arachnids in the UK | The Tsuranga Conundrum | Demons of the Punjab | Kerblam! | The Witchfinders | It Takes You Away | The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos | Resolution | Spyfall Part 1/Part 2 | Orphan 55 | Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror | Fugitive of the Judoon | Praxeus | Can You Hear Me? | The Haunting of Villa Diodati | Ascension of the Cybermen | The Timeless Children

Television Gifs/MP4s - May give weird 404 warnings or warnings about "erotic imagery" (Pertwee eating a sandwich?), will keep checking to see if I can find a solution.
William Hartnell | Patrick Troughton | Jon Pertwee | Tom Baker | Peter Davison | Colin Baker | Sylvester McCoy | Paul McGann | Christopher Eccleston | David Tennant | Matt Smith | Peter Capaldi | Jodie Whittaker | Ncuti Gatwa

Audios
4th Doctor Adventures - Season One
5th Doctor - Phantasmagoria | The Land of the Dead | Red Dawn | Winter for the Adept | The Mutant Phase | Loup-Garoux/The Eye of the Scorpion | Primeval | The Church and the Crown | Nekromanteia | Creatures of Beauty | Omega | The Axis of Insanity | The Roof of the World | The Game | Three's a Crowd | The Council of Nicaea | Singularity | The Kingmaker | The Gathering/The Veiled Leopard | Circular Time | Renaissance of the Daleks | Exotron | Son of the Dragon | The Mind's Eye | The Bride of Peladon | The Haunting of Thomas Brewster | The Boy That Time Forgot | Time Reef | The Judgement of Isskar | The Destroyer of Delights | The Chaos Pool | Castle of Fear | The Eternal Summer | Plague of the Daleks
6th Doctor - Whispers of Terror | The Marian Conspiracy | The Spectre of Lanyon Moor | The Apocalypse Element | The Holy Terror | Bloodtide | Project: Twilight | The One Doctor | ...ish | The Sandman | Jubilee | Doctor Who and the Pirates | Project: Lazarus | Davros | The Wormery | Arrangements for War | Medicinal Purposes | The Juggernauts | Catch-1782 | Thicker Than Water | Pier Pressure | The Nowhere Place | The Reaping | Year of the Pig | I.D | The Wishing Beast | 100 | The Condemned | Assassin in the Limelight | The Doomwood Curse | Brotherhood of the Daleks | Return of the Krotons | The Raincloud Man | Patient Zero | Paper Cuts | Blue Forgotten Planet
7th Doctor - The Fearmonger | The Genocide Machine | The Fires of Vulcan | The Shadow of the Scourge | Dust Breeding | Colditz | The Rapture | Bang-Bang-a-Boom! | The Dark Flame | Project: Lazarus | Flip-Flop | Master | The Harvest | Dreamtime | Unregenerate! | Live 34 | Night Thoughts | The Settling | Red | No Man's Land | Nocturne | Valhalla | Frozen Time | The Dark Husband | The Death Collectors | Kingdom of Silver | Forty-Five | The Magic Mousetrap | Enemy of the Daleks | The Angel of Scutari | A Thousand Tiny Wings | Survival of the Fittest | The Architects of History
8th Doctor - Storm Warning | Sword of Orion | The Stones of Venice | Minuet in Hell | Invaders from Mars | The Chimes of Midnight | Seasons of Fear | Embrace the Darkness | The Time of the Daleks | Neverland | Zagreus | Scherzo/The Creed of Kromon | The Natural History of Fear | The Twilight Kingdom Faithstealer/The Last/Caerdroia/The Next Life | Terror Firma | Scaredy Cat | Other Lives | Time Works | Something Inside | Memory Lane | Absolution | The Girl Who Never Was | The Company of Friends
8th Doctor Adventures Blood of the Daleks | The Horror of Glam Rock | Immortal Beloved | Phobos | No More Lies | Human Resources | Dead London | Max Warp | Brave New Town | The Skull of Sobek | Grand Theft Cosmos | The Zygon Who Fell to Earth | Sisters of the Flame | The Vengeance of Morbius | Orbis | The Hothouse | The Beast of Orlok | Wirrn Dawn | The Scapegoat | The Cannibalists | The Eight Truths | Worldwide Web | Death in Blackpool | (Bonus) An Earthly Child | Situation Vacant | Nevermore | The Book of Kells | Deimos/The Resurrection of Mars | Relative Dimensions | Prisoner of the Sun | Lucie Miller/To The Death | Dark Eyes 1
The War Doctor - Only the Monstrous | Infernal Devices | Agents of Chaos | Casualties of War
10th Doctor Adventures - Volume 1 | Volume 2
Big Finish Specials - The Sirens of Time | The Light at the End | UNIT: Dominion | UNIT: Extinction | UNIT: Shutdown | UNIT: Silenced | UNIT: Assembled | UNIT: Encounters | The Diary of River Song Volume 1 | The Diary of River Song Volume 2 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 1 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 2 | The War Master Volume One

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 30, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I am so excited to be back in 2005 :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Coward posted:

"Not the one you were expecting" :vince:

Also loved his appearance in The Power of the Doctor where he's not in robes like the others and they grumble about him not playing along :)

Which in turn reminds me of how much fun it was when Davison, Colin and Sylvester are peeking on him at the convention while he's on the phone in The Five-Ish Doctors, muttering,"I bet that's his agent, he's got a job. He's ALWAYS getting jobs!" :allears:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

TinTower posted:

No you can't. :negative:

Is the Beginning DVD still in print? Get that!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Is the Beginning DVD still in print? Get that!

Physical Media wins again! :hai:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://i.imgur.com/WZyKBkW.mp4

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I am excited for more Doctor Who soon, especially since this old cosplayer will get off my screen and the REAL Doctor can start next year.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

dingo with a joint posted:

Moffat did the same thing when Smith came on board. Said it was Season 1. Tbh though, the numbering scheme that's been in use for NuWho (i.e. with Smith taking over in s05) kinda doesn't work now. Did Thirteen get three seasons or four? Tennant's "year of specials" always felt like basically a season to me anyway.

Haha this makes watching the shows in order a hassle, combined with the Christmas specials sometimes getting their own subsections or paired with prior seasons, especially on standard illegal streaming sites and back when they were on Amazon.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

dingo with a joint posted:

Did Thirteen get three seasons or four?

Series 11, 12, Flux, and the specials, you mean?

...Honestly I just lump the specials into the whichever Series they debuted after, so Eve/Legends/Power are all Fluxian stories

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Just start the season numbering over with every new Doctor, like Ultraman or something.

I feel like it’s already common for us to just say “Smith’s first season” instead of “Season 5”, etc.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

yeah the Season 1 reset is bullshit but probably something Disney asked for

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I thought the series number reset was because it’s being co-produced by Bad Wolf now, rather than BBC Wales.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

"Not the one you were expecting" :vince:

Also loved his appearance in The Power of the Doctor where he's not in robes like the others and they grumble about him not playing along :)

If there's only one thing I would've changed about that scene is, after Eight said "I don't do robes", instead of Seven saying "There's always one", I would've had Six say that, then have him morph into Seven, to reveal Seven is now wearing his trademark hat. And his silly grin.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Autisanal Cheese posted:

yeah the Season 1 reset is bullshit but probably something Disney asked for

Yeah it might not be Disney but it's definitely some marketing bullshit about audiences not responding well to numbers.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Edward Mass posted:

Outside of the UK, though, it gets complicated...

For the current run, new episodes will not be on TV, but instead streamed on Disney+.

Wait is BBC's Doctor Who NOT airing on BBC America? :wtc:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Welcome back to Russell "Rusty T "The" Davies

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
So excited to see the 10th/14th doctor in series 1/14/40.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

jisforjosh posted:

Wait is BBC's Doctor Who NOT airing on BBC America? :wtc:

Disney Bux swiped the US rights.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Pretty sure that BBC America is pretty independent from the BBC proper. The BBC only has like a 50% ownership stake and doesn’t/can’t give them any license fee money. And a lot of their programming has little or no connection to the BBC at this point. If someone else is willing to pay more for Doctor Who rights, they’re not gonna turn them down.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Diabolik900 posted:

Pretty sure that BBC America is pretty independent from the BBC proper. The BBC only has like a 50% ownership stake and doesn’t/can’t give them any license fee money. And a lot of their programming has little or no connection to the BBC at this point. If someone else is willing to pay more for Doctor Who rights, they’re not gonna turn them down.

I think this came out sometime in the early/mid-2000s, when they stopped airing episodes of classic DW (which, to be honest, were just the same three or four Tom Baker stories on an endless loop). When BBCA were asked about why they stopped showing them, they basically said "classic DW got too expensive for us to license" and went on to explain that they weren't actually the BBC's cable channel in America, but rather a completely separate entity. An entity that devolved into an endless loop of other BBC shows like Changing Rooms and Casualty; and then further devolved from there into "we'll air any show, regardless of its country of origin, so long as it has least one person speaking with a British accent". And I'm pretty sure that these days, they aren't even enforcing that slender requirement anymore.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Beep the God Damned Meep

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
BBC America is essentially a franchise. Not really affiliated with the main company, except for use of the name and trademarks.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Look if the B bring stuff over to the A we are just going to give it liberty every time.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Loki S2e05: “It’s not what… it’s Who.”

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I absolutely loved that :allears:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
How is that show, with the caveat the viewer might prefer to never see disney marvel material ever again? Is it the kinda thing where it stands on its own or do you need to be all up ins marvelsphere to make sense of cross-events and cameos?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Khanstant posted:

How is that show, with the caveat the viewer might prefer to never see disney marvel material ever again? Is it the kinda thing where it stands on its own or do you need to be all up ins marvelsphere to make sense of cross-events and cameos?

I thoroughly enjoyed S1, and the same's held true with S2, and I stopped watching/caring for Marvel movies after Endgame (with the last viewed movie being Far From Home)

Still plagued by Marvel Quip To Undercut Serious Moment, but it worked just fine for me regardless

I'd recommend it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Khanstant posted:

First season is very good, second season has been a mixed bag but the last couple of episodes have really improved and it looks like the last episode is gonna recontextualize the season as a whole.

The set design is absolutely top tier, just incredible, and looks vastly different from almost everything else Marvel has been doing. There's a 70s sci-fi/film aesthetic to the whole thing that absolutely works within the context of the setting of the show.

Also, there are a lot of jokes made about it, but there are seriously a lot of ideas, concepts and at times what appear to be straight up references to Doctor Who (the line "You're the criminal with the blue box" from the first ever episode certainly made me go :crossarms: haha). When the Chibnall era was really not setting the world on fire, it did feel like Loki Season 1 was the next best thing for Doctor Who fans who weren't getting what they wanted from the show.

Edit: I mean, you could legit summarize season 1 as "A non-human time traveler escapes from an overly bureaucratic group of time travelers, and meets several incarnations of himself as he travels through time and to alien worlds seeking to stop an evil being that believes it is superior to all other life in the universe"

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

My gut instinct says you won't like it. Like most MCU shows it's not the kind of thing where you need to know an awful lot of context to make sense of things (tbh being familiar with the lead's earliest characterisation makes it harder to get along with what the show's attempting), but it's also not actually doing anything particularly good or interesting in and of itself.

It's passable entertainment, which makes it stand head and shoulders above near most things the series has put out over the last four years. However, it's still got the same negative qualities that are shared by a lot of its ilk -- an constant return to flat centre framing shots by the cinematography, poor editing (including an absolutely laughable fight scene in the first season), and a plot that's more driven by busywork than drama.

If you like the MCU then I suspect those things won't bother you, but like you said that's not your shizz.