Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

Skeezy posted:

Been messing around with this for a while and I gotta say it's a heck of a lot better than the 2.0 updates were. The app finally tells you who re-tweets or favorites your tweets without the need of something like Favstar. Also the redesign is good and works well. Can't say the same for the changes to the web interface right now but whatever.

As of now in my opinion the official twitter app and Plume are the best twitter applications right now.

Does anybody else really wish the official Twitter app would do the "RT" style of quote retweets instead of using quotation marks? Probably the only reason I'm sticking with Plume at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

MentosMan posted:

Is there a good app out there that you can simultaneously post to twitter and facebook from? My mom is trying to get her business' social media going, and wants to be able to post little blurbs from her phone, and have it upload the same thing (with attached pictures sometimes) to Twitter and Facebook

Look up Tweetdeck, I think it can do that for you.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!
I know I'm using an old OG Droid, but is anybody having problems with the Facebook app starting up in the background and chewing up battery doing absolutely nothing?

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

b0nes posted:

This is me literally every time I use Google Wallet. People nearly poo poo their pants.

The clerk at the gas station dropped a "Aw hell naw" when I did it the other day. It is, legitimately, pretty cool to see.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

Elliotw2 posted:

Pretty sure it's just Car Home, and it is just on some Android. Most CM roms seem to have it though.

Edit: I'm fairly sure that Google dropped support for it in ICS, you could recreate it with widgets, or find the apk

Hell, it's not compatible with my LG Viper, and that's stuck on GB 2.3.7.

(C'mon, LG... you promised every 2012 phone would get the upgrade...)

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!
Is there a consensus on good audio editors for Android? TapeMachine looks really nice, but I want to make sure I'm making a good call before dropping $4.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!
The realtime predictions are key on this. My problem with Swype is if I started to swipe a long word, and gently caress it up someway through, I was hosed. If it can figure out what I was trying to type in the first place, then I'm in.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

DemonMage posted:

MMS messages are counted the same as SMS messages on every major US carrier as far as I know. Most everyone has unlimited texting that includes unlimited MMS. I generally get pics from people either on Skype or via MMS. E-Mail is pretty much for banking, work, or other business crap and Newegg deals and such.

My super old plan from 5 years ago or so still had SMS and MMS separate. The only reason I kept it around was because it was one of Sprint's old retention plans: 2 phones, 1000 minutes, unlimited text and Web, $50. Giving that up so we could finally get smartphones suuuuuuucked.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!
My phone finally got the big upgrade... to ICS. Yeah, the plight of the free phone.

Any apps I need to know about for the new OS?

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Is there a rundown of the coolest-looking widgets out there? I installed Tweetdeck because it's less lovely than the Facebook or Twitter apps, but god are its widgets lovely-looking. I need more widgets to fill my homescreens, I am and addict, I need delicious widget crack. I am rooted running CM10, so if there's root-only stuff out there I can use that too.

Android Pro Widgets seems to be everyone's favorite.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!
Apparently, people who are disappointed in SwiftKey Flow have had better results when switching their typing style to "rapid". Worth a go if you haven't been happy with it.

As for me, I've been thrilled.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

hotsauce posted:

Alright, I give up. How do you "flow out" a full sentence without taking your finger off the keys, like the video they put out shows?

I try to write "I am hungry right now" and it just does not work. Is there some setting I need to tick?

Edit: this has to do with Swiftkey Flow if you couldn't tell from my post.

Make sure you're flowing through the space bar between each word.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!
Dunno what you all have problems with, I love SwiftKey Flow.

If the word it predicts is wrong, just backspace once and you'll get different predictions. And it gets better as it learns from you.

If you're really having troubles, try switching the typing style.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

Gyshall posted:

Is there a decent image manipulation app that does all this type of stuff in one package? I like photo editing but I hate having to have a single app that only does one or two things.

Give Pixlr Express a go.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

Tunga posted:

Assuming you're on at least 4.0, Nova or Apex. For older builds it's probably still the two that you mentioned.

For pre-4.0, Holo Launcher works wonders.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

Gozinbulx posted:

Also I don't suppose anyone here has a copy of it, Comrex ARC? Its a very specific app for one only one purpose and only interfaces with one device but boy is it important.

You might want to call Comrex and see if they might be able to hook you up. I'll ask one of the engineers at the office if that's the app they use, see if I can finagle it for you.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

Gozinbulx posted:

Holy poo poo you're a life saver. I appreciate this so much.

Guess you work in radio huh?

Thank you so much.

Edit: Just talked to comrex and they emailed me the apk within 5 minutes! I have it here too if you (or anyone else) wants it.

Thank you for trying though, I really appreciate it.

If you've got it, I will definitely take it.

Yeah, I work in radio. I remember one of the engineers showing me the app once, but promptly forgot about it. When I asked him about it today, he didn't have it anymore, they all switched to iPhones.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

Require More Fire posted:

This is my first time using Swiftkey Flow and I'm not impressed with it, but I really like the swiping visual effect they came up with so I guess I'll keep at it. :downs:

The more you use it, the more impressive it gets. The other day, I typed "We're going to" and it predicted "Waffle House."

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

az jan jananam posted:

How often do you go to Waffle House? :banjo:

Scattered, smothered, peppered. :toot:

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

kitten smoothie posted:

By "this won't end well" I mean the fact that Twitter has already pretty much told him to FOAD and this looks like an attempt to sidestep that.

I think he's trying to get around the fact that a lot of those tokens are just people who never released theirs. And to possibly catch the pirates off guard. It will be interesting to see how Twitter responds.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

myron cope posted:

I'm looking for an app to listen to hockey games, requiring listening to one specific station. iHeartRadio seems to work--at least it will load the station (TuneIn wouldn't load it at all). The NHL doesn't seem to block games from the radio like the NFL (and MLB?) does. So thanks!

I think they're supposed to black out the Internet streams, you just found a station too lazy to do it. I know I pulled up every CBJ radio affiliate in iHeartRadio to see if they were streaming, and they weren't.

If worse comes to worse, the NHL Gamecenter app has radio feeds for $5.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

myron cope posted:

Really? Because I can go to the Pens website or the station's site and both will let me listen to games. The Penguins have an app and there's a radio button in it, it just doesn't work so well which is why I was looking for a replacement. I did forget about gamecenter though. I already paid for video, the radio stuff should be included

Strange, the Jackets have the stream for free on their website as well, but if you go to the flagship's website, it's blocked.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!
So I noticed a friend of mine on Hangouts was highlighted green, so I reached out to him to ask if he was using Hangouts.

quote:

"I keep using Google Chat in my browser, and I don't really have a web camera."

"Well, they renamed Google Talk to Hangouts. So it's supposed to bring it together. They tied it to a phone app, too."

"hmmm... I still use the "Google Chat" Android app, and it hasn't complained yet."

Is that... even possible?

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

XIII posted:

I meant to ask if any goons were in the beta. I'm perfectly happy with SwiftKey, but I love seeing cool new apps emerge. Plus, if it turns out to be a better option, I'll gladly switch.

I wasn't IN the beta, but the APK is in the wild. It's not as fast as SwiftKey by any stretch (both in typing speed and lag), but it is surprisingly usable. The extra screen real estate is shocking.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

hotsauce posted:

Took as well

GAHB-7ZKQ-SNS9

Taken.

V8MB-YABT-UAXG

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This. It pains me to let go of something I've used for over a decade but they really missed the boat and 99% of my communication happens in Hangouts or Facebook as well. Then there's weird die hard SMS users I should just stop paying attention to. :v:

I want to live in your world. Nobody I know uses Hangouts, Whatsapp, Contacts+.... And I'm just not using Facebook Messenger out of principle.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!
Is there a widget that can be used to handle switching WiFi networks? My office has about 4 of them spread around the building, and it's a pain in the rear end to have to go through the settings to switch networks because it's still hanging on to the router in the middle of the building when I'm at the other end.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

bootleg robot posted:

I love Aviate because I no longer have to curate my home screen, and it thinks I live in a cemetery.

And what apps does it suggest for being in a graveyard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!
I've had some interesting ones come through. Though I only got $.25 for saying buying premium bottled water is stupid.

• Locked thread