Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

404GoonNotFound posted:

Carol Danvers is going to be played by Tim Roth?
He's saying that nationality doesn't matter when you can take a character like Emil Blonsky and have him be played by a British actor and have him be in the Royal Marines in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It makes me real sad that the touchstone for Michael Rooker is now The Walking Dead and not Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. Hell, I'd even take Mallrats over Walking Dead.
For me it was always 'Cliffhanger'.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

theflyingorc posted:

I'm still maintaining that a standalone Black Widow film just wouldn't work because of who the character is.
Could you elaborate on this?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm not that familiar with Captain America comics, what's the significance of Serpent Society?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hakkesshu posted:

Also taking ANY cues from Brian Reed's garbage run would do more damage than anything.
I liked Brian Reed's Ms Marvel run, what was wrong with it?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

If I shouldn't be reeding Brian Reed's run (which is what got me hooked on the character), what should I be reading instead?
I've read the newer Captain Marvel stuff, or at least what's been released in TPBs so far.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm not gonna lie, the "Hairy baby!" line in the BH6 trailer cracks me the gently caress up, and now I call my cat a hairy baby. Is the scene still funny in the full movie?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

If I remember right, AtMoM didn't happen because Prometheus came out and the studio backing Del Toro said "well this is awfully similar" and got cold feet. Del Toro still wants to do it, he just needs to find another studio to back the project.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

I can't wait to hear Brian Tyler's score for this moment.
Alan Silvestri isn't doing the score for this one?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Deadpool posted:

That Fantastic Four trailer is the first one that's really sold me on the movie, not coincidentally it's the first one to really push the family angle which is the most important part of the Fantastic Four. Now I'm really looking forward to it.
I'm the opposite, I'm trying to figure out the draw of making Ben Grimm sound like a literal child , or playing up that all the members are kids.
The initial trailers had me intrigued, but this new one just felt overly serious but with some goofy design decisions that kept me from taking it seriously.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

zoux posted:

Yeah it's too bad they couldn't have cast a nine foot tall 1000 lb actor for the role.
Or alternately, mocap him like Marvel has done for other similarly huge characters, like Thanos or the Hulk.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

zoux posted:

I can't believe that of every comic book character put on screen that the one with the most 1:1 faithful to the comics costume is Jim Lee Psylocke.
More faithful than Deadpool?

Edit-- also you're forgetting The Rocketeer. :colbert:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

bobkatt013 posted:

What about Marv and everyone else in Sin City?
Somehow I totally forgot about Sin City, good call.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

J2DK posted:

I think some of the deaging in that film was directly ripped from Terminator 1, though.
If I remember right, it actually wasn't (for legal reasons). Whoever owns the actual footage for T1 didn't want to play ball, so the Genisys filmmakers were forced to recreate everything digitally.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ant Man ruled.

Hands down best scene: "That's one messed up looking dog!"
Holy poo poo :laffo:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I was willing to overlook Sears and IHOP because those places also got totally loving demolished.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ignite Memories posted:

This would have to happen at a very specific time in the marvel cinematic universe to be effective in any way, and i'm not sure they're going to reach that point while he's still alive.

But it would be something.
Given the CGI present for de-aging Michael Douglas, I wouldn't be surprised if they found a way to straight up make a photorealistic CGI Stan Lee and put him in every Marvel movie until the end of time.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Opopanax posted:

BSS Movie Thread: This will probably be the one that sinks Marvel
This right here.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sion posted:

There is no loving way Warner would let a magazine make its own cover art when it's to promote their tentpole release.
Have you never seen the lovely photoshoots Entertainment Weekly does regularly for big movies?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SirDan3k posted:

The FF comics have been spinning their wheels for a while, except for the hiatus from "I'll write the FF like they never been seen fractured and fighting!" that Hickman provided. Not knowing what to do with them isn't a Fox or Hollywood only problem.

I doubt we'll ever get an FF movie that's not obsessed with fixing what's not broken.
Just because writers don't know what to do with them in comics right this second doesn't mean filmmakers don't have 60 years of successful, well received back issues to draw from.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Senor Candle posted:

The Fantastic Four haven't had a good movie. That's the only difference.
Fantastic Four as originally written in the comics are popular for decades.

Movies deviate from what made them popular, are less popular as a result.

Hmmm... I think there's a correlation here.
Perhaps, if the movies understood the source material and what makes it popular, and then emulated that instead of trying to fix what isn't broken, they could possibly make a movie that people enjoy.

....Naaah that's crazy talk.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ImpAtom posted:

Wait. So any time a movie deviates from the source material and is more popular, that means the source material is the thing that was broken? Is that the argument you're making here?
Sure, why not? If the source material has issues and the filmmakers recognize that and change it for the better, then thumbs up. As others have mentioned, comic movies deviate from the source material all the time, and for good reason.

But when the source material *works*, and the filmmakers deviate from it for no comprehensible reason, that's when things go wrong. Examples include the latest FF movie, Galactus and Doom in the prior FF movies, Deadpool in the Wolverine origins movie, etc.
Comic book movies don't need to be slavishly beholden to the source material, but they do need to recognize what made the source material good and popular, and not just change poo poo willy nilly.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

muscles like this? posted:

Its probably going to be less people not caring about Deadpool the character and more the fact that Ryan Reynolds is box office poison.
Is he though? I've liked plenty of his more recent movies. Safe House, Buried, Smoking Aces.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ImpAtom posted:

That is exactly what I'm saying. "It deviates from the source material and that is bad" is silly as an argument to make.
But it really isn't when people are saying that FF is inherently unfilmable and that Fox's movies have "poisoned the well", and that even Disney/Marvel getting the rights back couldn't salvage them because of reasons.
Aspects of the source material obviously work, and those same aspects are yet to be translated to the movies in any capacity (especially in the case of Dr Doom). Maybe, just maybe, if the movies recognized that, they'd end up not being poo poo?

This isn't rocket science. I'm not even a fan of the FF comics and I can recognize this.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Light Gun Man posted:

I don't think I even want a Marvel FF movie but I do want Marvel to have them back so they can do poo poo like have Reed be a science guy supporting character or have Doom as a villain or have Star Lord kick Galactus in the balls or whatever.

If they were to somehow get all their properties back, then I'd be bitching on the internet for them to make a Maximum Carnage movie/miniseries :v:
I'm a huge symbiote fanboy so I'm really hoping the Sony/Marvel partnership leads to some cool symbiote stuff in the MCU.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ImpAtom posted:

Why would recognizing that make the films good? Is the film bad because Dr. Doom isn't right? Is that why people dislike the film?

If someone is making a lovely film deviating from the source material why would they make a good film sticking to it?
Quite possibly, yes?

If the original source material is good, and the bad movies keep being bad without even bothering to attempt to adapt what made the original source material good, it stands to reason that if they gave the good source material a shot that they might end up with a good movie.

I can't believe I have to explain this, or that it's somehow a controversial opinion??? :confused:

And yes, a common complaint I've seen is that part of why people dislike the movie (and the Jessica Alba ones) because of how Doom and Galactus were handled.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BrianWilly posted:

Heh...ImpAtom's simply chosen that particular hill to die on and probably won't ever budge on it. The mere notion that there might possibly be some inherent value in any source material, something that might detract from the quality of the work if you remove it from any adaptations, is pretty much anathema to him for some reason.

In this case he's suggesting that the reason this movie sucks has more to do with their lovely writing and directing than with their interpretation of Doom; in other words, who's to say that their lovely writing or direction would be any better even if they had depicted a completely comics-accurate Doom? And it's a reasonable point.

But it overlooks the possibility that this interpretation of Doom might actually be the result of their bad writing and direction...in other words, that writing Doom as this sort of character might in and of itself be bad writing. What did this interpretation of Doom contribute to the film, after all? As far as I'm aware, his role as an antagonist encompassed some of the weakest and most slapdash portions of the already-weak adaptation. We could say "Oh but that all has to do with ~the writing~ and not the changes they made to Doom," but weren't the changes they made to Doom a principal facet of the writing and storytelling? At what point do we separate one from the other?

Well, I haven't seen the film, so maybe I can't answer that either.
That's exactly my point. Sure, the movie could have been faithful to the source material and still been poo poo, but deviating wildly certainly didn't do it any favors.

When fans of the FF comics are saying that there's certain things in the comics (be it style and tone choices, character traits, etc) that made the original comics enjoyable to a wide audience, and then the movies abandon those things and end up being bad, it's pretty clear that there's a correlation.
The Incredibles is proof that this is true, and it's not even an FF movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ImpAtom posted:

No you didn't. That's the thing you don't seem to get. You just said "the comics did this." Doing it that way doesn't actually mean they would do it well. Do you think the writers and director were not trying to make the Fantastic Four appear as a team in the current version? Why do you think they'd suddenly do it well if they were closer to the canon?

No, you just are not actually saying anything. You're going "Well, the comics did this so if they did this it would be better" as if the problem here was that they did something different instead of that they did it poorly.

I mean assuming they do what you say... then what? Do you really think that the core problem was that Ben wasn't there enough and not that Ben didn't have good writing? Do you think the problem is that Victor Von Doom was there instead of Sue and not that the movie was 90 minutes long and had almost all of its major plot development happen offscreen? Even if you changed those things it wouldn't fix the film because the problem with the film involves it being too short and it shoving things offscreen.

Nothing you suggested fixes the film. You admit you haven't seen the film. The problem with the film is a more basic level having to do with bad writing that would exist regardless of how close to the source material it is. No amount of changing who is where will change the fact they barely had anything happen at all. Fantastic Four isn't bad because it changed things. It is bad because it was executed poorly. Short of serious editing and rewrites there is no way to fix that, and if you're doing serious editing and rewrites then there is no reason the current version of the film couldn't work just as well.
No actually he's been spelling out very specific, coherent failings in the new movie which could have been improved by staying closer to the source material. If you can't recognize that, that's because you have tunnel vision or bad reading comprehension or whatever, not because he's not making a salient, valid point.

He asked an important question earlier that you didn't answer: if you're going to drastically change things to the degree that it misses the point of the original work, or barely resembles it, why bother adapting it at all? Can it even be considered an adaptation?

As an example, look at Alan Moore's 'From Hell'. The graphic novel is an in depth character study of Jack the Ripper and his descent into madness in Victorian England.
Meanwhile, the movie "adaptation" is a whodunit murder mystery about Jack the Ripper.

They are drastically different, and I like them both. But I'm really, really hesitant to call the movie an adaptation because the only thing it has in common with the source material is the general subject and the title.

Or the 'Doom' movie, based on the video game. As a generic sci-fi monster movie, it's pretty fun. As a *Doom* movie, though, it's total poo poo.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ImpAtom posted:

Because an existing IP has name recognition value. That's it. That is literally the entire reason for any of these things to exist.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that. I'd say adaptations exist as a means of translating source material from one medium to another, in order to reach a wider audience.
Adaptations don't have to be 1:1 exact copies, they inherently can't be. But the best adaptations are the ones that recognize what made the source material good/interesting/compelling, and find a way to translate those aspects from one medium to another and still tell a good story. Acting like all adaptations are merely coasting on brand recognition is incredibly cynical and myopic, and I'd argue that those sorts of things fail as adaptations even if they end up being interesting in their own right (such as From Hell, as mentioned).

And as an Alien fan, there's a world of difference between adaptations and spin-off materials.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ImpAtom posted:

I also think adaptations can be interesting if they actually are willing to acknowledge that merely adapting is pointless.
Just gonna say that I fundamentally disagree with this.

ImpAtom posted:

Do I think that an adaptation has inherent merit to 'spreading to a wider audience.' No, because they can't do that.
This, too.

Like, by definition they can (and have) done this. They've done it for centuries. Medieval theatre is a really well-known example. Shakespeare wrote plays based on other things, with the express intention of them being performed for a potentially illiterate audience who wouldn't have had exposure to it otherwise.

For a lot of people, the draw of an adaptation is the faithful translation of a source material from one medium to another. My father is unwilling to sit down and read the Watchmen graphic novel like I have, but he's fine with sitting and watching the movie, and in that way he and I have bridged a cultural gap via an (imperfectly) shared experience.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If not them were going to end up with Sackhoff or Torv and you're all going to have them more.

(The real answer should be Emily Blunt)
What about that actress from Vikings?

If we're doing comic book movie casting, Emily Blunt for Red Sonja.
Apparently they actually are in fact working on a script for a new Red Sonja movie, and I'm pretty happy with that news.
If Emily Blunt won't do it, Rachel Nichols or Amber Heard are good choices too.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Whizbang posted:

Kathryn is too expensive. Can we get a wig and some padding on Judd?

Why is she too expensive? And how expensive are we talking here?

Aren't we talking about a movie studio that regularly pays Robert Downey Jr whatever he asks? And has put a lot of big name actors in literally every movie they've done? She surely can't be more expensive than all that.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Aphrodite posted:

Pretty sure he was just using that as setup for the joke, man.
I guess the joke sailed right over my head. :(

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

teagone posted:

I'm well aware that's concept art. The images are pretty 1:1 as to how Gal looks as WW though.
I thought she was a lot skinnier than that. Has she bulked up some?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

zoux posted:

The thing is is that women aren't really built like they are drawn in the comics.
We actually have an entire thread dedicated to them in GBS, it's a great thread.

Anyone who thinks Gal Gadot looks "muscular", quite possibly has never actually seen a fit or muscular woman.
She's not supermodel twig thin, which is a step in the right direction, but there's still a wide gap between Gal Gadot's current build and "a fitness model".
Rebecca Ferguson in Mission Impossible 5, Emily Blunt in Edge of Tomorrow, that's borderline actually "fit and muscular" and almost pushing the envelope for a lead actress in a big Hollywood movie.
Gal Gadot on the current photos we've seen, not even close.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 22, 2015

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Aphrodite posted:

You may have seen those movies in the wrong aspect ratio.

I don't get it :confused:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 22, 2015

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Unmature posted:

You can run 7 thousand miles an hour?

Is it possible to take someone who types like this seriously?
If that's the breaking point for you in my post, then ignore it and read the rest of the post. You know, the actual point and stuff.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hell of a rebuttal to my point, "I didn't bother reading the post because of one 3-word turn of phrase". An unconventional approach, but I'm not sure how effective it is. :munch:

If I go back and edit my post, will you lighten up and/remove the stick from your butt?

Edit- edited, just for you :wink:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 22, 2015

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SirDan3k posted:

Considering male actors are now getting cgi muscle touch ups when shirtless you could give an actress digital biceps.
I'm eagerly awaiting She Hulk to be introduced to the MCU (because she's a great and hilarious character). She's a character where if she's not visibly pretty built, they hosed up. Like yeah there have been artists who drew her as a slim cheesecake model, but that's literally, objectively wrong. Byrne She-Hulk is arguably the *least* built she should ever be, and he commonly drew her like a marginally bigger then average fitness model (but still very visibly toned). She doesn't need to be a colossal roided-out muscle monster (unless it's for dramatic effect: see "Avengers Disassembled") but making her a 7 foot tall supermodel is wrong, too.

I can see the argument that Wonder Woman being built isn't an intrinsic part of the character, but it's absolutely something I personally look for in depictions of the character. I love the artwork in the Azarrello (spelling?) run because it makes her look formidable whether she had superpowers or not.
Wonder Woman is just one of those characters where if she isn't pretty built, it just doesn't look right to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

teagone posted:

They're not excuses because the way Gal Gadot is built in Batman v Superman is similar to how Wonder Woman has been depicted in the comics. Yes, I understand that some would prefer the actress to maybe have more definition and be a bit bulkier, I'm not saying that doesn't make sense. I don't think anyone is. What doesn't make sense is people making GBS threads on Gal Gadot's physical appearance when in fact she bears a huge resemblance to multiple iterations of the character. Also, Superman's character hasn't ever really been prominently depicted with a Zach Braff build in the comics, movies, or tv shows.
You said it yourself: some people would prefer it if she was bulkier and had more definition (and that's a common way she's been depicted in the comics, too). The fact that she isn't is why people are making GBS threads on her appearance.

It's a personal preference thing, and one group or another is going to end up disappointed because their preferred interpretation of the character isn't the one ending up on screen.
I personally can't see Wonder Woman as anything other than "Amazonian", and having her any other way looks wrong and does the character a disservice in my opinion, whether that depiction is part of The Officially Licensed DC Approved Canon (tm) or not.

• Locked thread