Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Sort of related: Brad Muir's now the host of Idle Thumbs' Dota podcast. You know, in case just one Dota-obsessed Brad wasn't enough. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

randombattle posted:

It's like people have forgotten when games didn't spend 40 minutes walking you hand in hand through every mechanic of the game.
They forgot that in favour of spending 16 minutes sitting on your hands watching a YouTube fan-video to learn things that the game barely mentions if at all, like "the existence of the lock-on function".

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

This is a thing you will figure out by just pushing all the buttons. Is that not something people do anymore? Not saying that game does explain itself well all the time (I didn't find out how useful the dodging was until many hours in), but most of this stuff you'll figure out just by actually trying to play the game and experimenting.
If you're telling me they couldn't fit a "Oh yeah, you can lock on to enemies, too!" voice over line for the optional VR mission tutorial into the 23 gigabyte download, I'll need to see your workings.

Hakkesshu posted:

It's like the exact thing that Brad never does.
Last time someone from Giant Bomb whacked all the buttons, it didn't work out especially well (OR DID IT?!?)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Andrast posted:

I thought that looking at the controls is usually the first thing people do in games.
The little optional tutorial at the start of a new game and the opening mission tell you about pretty much every other control, whether via voice over or via text underneath the health bar.

I'm not doing a Justin McElroy and completely hurling the game under the bus over this one thing, but it's incredibly bizarre that such a tightly designed game trips over such tiny hurdles.

Daius posted:

Why would you go into a character action game not expecting there to be lock on functionality?
I'd imagine people wouldn't expect it if they were, say, completely new to the genre and coming into it based on the Metal Gear connection and positive word of mouth for the console versions. Just as a hypothetical example. :v:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Holy Cheese posted:

It just looks like a flash game. Are Nintendo even trying anymore?
It's basically a port of the 2008 WiiWare game Dr. Mario Online Rx but with an extra mode and no Miis everywhere.

That such a relatively simple project somehow managed to miss its release year is a small indication of Nintendo's larger problems right now.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fluffdaddy posted:

What game quality problems are Nintendo having right now?
I didn't say their games aren't good - 3D World and A Link Between Worlds would disprove that instantly - but they're having a lot of trouble getting them out on time. They're dealing with the same problems that everyone else had transitioning to HD last gen, which is really bizarre considering those bridges were traversed close to a decade ago.

This might be compounded by an alleged deliberate ignorance of what their competitors are doing to the point that Nintendo execs reportedly didn't know how Live and PSN work when the Wii U online network was being built.

They could be doing better!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Crossbar posted:

Is Vinny on the video? Seems like the perfect game for him to try to break. I'm stuck at work and can't check myself.
It's Drew 'n' Jeff.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The guy who does thoe Best of Giant Bomb highlight reels pushed out two more recently, covering the end of Vinny's journey through Lordran. No prizes for guessing what song's used for the final death reel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8QQyXVleQc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2lt_PGPK5A

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Going back through the last few pages, so some of these posts might be a little old...

Yodzilla posted:

What? I thought the voice work in Dark and Demons Souls was universally lauded. It's just so depressing and appropriate and unique for a very Japanese company to go straight to English instead of translating anything from Japanese.
Didn't Nier do this too? Or at the least, they wrote the Japanese and English scripts simultaneously. I know the 8-4 guys who did it have talked about the process in the past, but I can't remember if it was on a podcast or some random NeoGAF post.

Manatee Cannon posted:

If Rockstar cared about PC gaming we'd have a port of Red Dead and GTA5 by now.
Red Dead is a spaghetti code nightmare that only runs on the consoles through a mixture of miracles and human sacrifice. GTA5 is coming, probably in March or thereabouts, and based on the leaked bug reports, it'll probably have some form of next-gen stuff (DX11 and 64-bit, at least).

Another Person posted:

It is definitely going to disappoint. I can see it now. There is so much hype around 1. I don't even get it, I don't think it is that great really. Good, but nowhere near the level it has been lauded to.
A good chunk of the Dark Souls fanbase seem to be a teensy bit on the unstable side (that reaction to the dude who warned Brad about GFW saves a few days ago as an example), and Namco have made an active attempt to advertise the game to people who aren't Souls Faithful, so there'll probably be a lot of screaming about how From Software has hosed the pooch and how Miyazaki shouldn't have stepped away from the series and so on and so forth no matter how well it turns out. (It'll turn out pretty well, I'm guessing.)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Another Person posted:

It was a fresh breath of air. That, for a lot of people (from my reading on experiences) was a big part of the experience. Something so different to what they are used to, alien.
It's a third-person RPG where you have weights tied to all your extremities and you're made of paper-mache. Let's not go nuts here.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Wow this Roher guy in patrick's new sales article is a loving idiot!
Didn't he risk his wife getting rabies or something by refusing to pay to get her checked up after she was bitten by something in their weird hermit hut in the forest? I vaguely remember something to that effect, but I might have the specifics wrong. Regardless, his idiocy extends well beyond videogames.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

He's actively against making money or...something.
Well, this article doesn't exactly shatter that belief. :v:

Honestly, the most shocking part to me is that photo of him. I expected him to look more like, say, Jason Scott, than the bastard spawn of a Web 2.0 startup founder and a nu-metal singer. Not what you'd expect someone who released a DS game in Anno Domini 2012 to look like, at any rate.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

cat doter posted:

What's with this music in the caves in the spelunkin stream? I've never heard it before.
I wasn't watching, but was it all chiptune-y? If it was, that's just a rare easter egg of sorts - there's an "egg" song for each world that has a random chance of playing.

EDIT: :argh:!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The last ten pages both disagree and amply demonstrate why this thread was banished to the podcasts forum.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Whizbang posted:

Which Bomber is a Lord? I feel like it'd be Dave or Drew.
"Lord" and "Undercover Double Agent" are two very different things. You know this.

toasterwarrior posted:

Clearly we need to make a hybrid of Dark Souls and DOTA2, so that we may harness the generated, impotent anger as an energy source.
All the community joy of Dota, with all the netcode and PC development competence of Dark Souls. They'd have to make a separate internet to contain the resulting community, and I'm pretty okay with that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Whizbang posted:

Look what you did, "stop talking about Dark Souls" guys. All of these disgusting Neti pot posts are your fault.
Quick! We need a new topic, one worth :spergin: out about for ten pages straight!

Oh, here's one: A Quick Look for Zen Pinball PS4 just went up. Let's talk about pinball! There's a Monster Bash table at a local bar and it makes me happy (it also briefly made me afraid I broke it when the extra-ball CRACK sound played :( ) and it's also so much better than Zen Pinball's tables.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCKDvjVzpNQ

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The slight desynch between Alex's voice and his webcam in the new Encyclopedia Bombastica is kind of weirding me out. I'm guessing that's an XSplit thing?

EDIT: Weirdly, the actual game is synched perfectly. It's just poor Alex. Weird!

The Kins fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 26, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ovaries posted:

So after the Game Room talk yesterday I've been watching the entire run in one go. It's been equal parts entertaining and enlightening so far, but the most astounding thing I've learned from it is that they were still pumping out 2600 and Intellivision games well into the late '80s, years after the NES was released. By that point everyone knew what a real video game could be and yet these American hardware makers were still hanging onto dear life with their ancient garbage systems. That's crazy!
1.) The NES had expensive and restrictive licensing contracts required to publish on their platform, wheras the 2600 was open season for anyone who could get cartridges manufactured.

2.) The 2600 was being sold as part of an Atari strategy to have a system in every market to "box in" the NES - the Atari 2600 Jr (a cheaper, redesigned 2600) for the budget market, the Atari 7800 directly competing with the NES, and the Atari XEGS (basically a consolized Atari 8-bit computer) as the high-end solution. Seeing as you probably had to look two of those up on Wikipedia, you can take a reasonable stab as to how well that worked.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fallom posted:

Wrestling isn't real.
The resulting concussions sure are!

...:ohdear:

Anyway, apparently Microsoft has bought the Gears of War series from Epic and assigned Black Tusk (aka The New MS Studio That Hasn't Released Anything Yet) to it. Interesting times...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Hell, the PS2 version alone of RE4 has sold more copies than every version of Dark Souls put together. They're not especially comparable.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Captain Novolin posted:

Fortunately it is, it's based off the HD version so hopefully it'll ship with a lighting engine, mouse support and graphics options other than "640x480 or 1024x768"
It does. The NeoGAF CSI unit says, based on screenshot comparisons, it's missing a couple of small visual effects (depth of field and similar blurring, basically) due to how those effects were basically coded very specifically to the Gamecube/Wii's hardware. Apparently those were missing from the HD vrsions too, so no biggie I guess.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The original PC port of RE4 forgot to ship with lighting.

Ponder this.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

Also wasn't it based more on the PS2 version of the game which had much worse textures?
And low-res pre-rendered FMVs, yes.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kasonic posted:

See: How you feel playing Soldier of Fortune 2 vs the Last of Us.
"This is fun if kind of half-assed" vs. "Wow, Splinter Cell kind of went downhill, huh"?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jimbot posted:

Personally, if a dozen ribcages don't rain down after a person explodes my immersion is completely ruined. Half-assed body horror games these days.

BAN THIS SICK FILTH

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
More of a Man Club Dog world, really.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Castle Doctrine would be a pretty good multiplayer mode for The Sims. As a game by itself made by this guy?

Ehh.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mutation posted:

What is that from?
"Alt-Play: Jason Rohrer Anthology" for DSiWare. Someone posted that shot in the Steam thread.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

FuriousGeorge posted:

I'd like to see more Quick Look Throwbacks. And not just for pure comedy like Multimedia Celebrity Poker, but to give one of the guys a chance to showoff an old, and perhaps overlooked, game that they really like.
More non-solo Bombasticas would be very much appreciated. Law of the West was glorious.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cityinthesea posted:

I want to start watching VGCW but I hate going into a story midway through...
The current season/story arc ends next week, so you can go in reasonably fresh after that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Speaking of the intersection between Giant Bomb and Sports Entertainment, another Best Of video went up focusing on Jeff and Vinny blindly fumbling through sports games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTatkYU8wJQ

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I believe they've mentioned in the past they want to let people start their own Steam stores, ala third-party app stores for Android, using Steam for payment processing and such.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ImPureAwesome posted:

Are they not gonna get a new podcast theme this year?
Jeff mentioned a while back that they're well overdue for a new podcast theme and new video bumpers.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rodyle posted:

Steam is opening a music store apparently. Timely.
Pretty sure it's just a music player, primarily for Big Picture mode/SteamOS. There's rumors of Spotify integration, but nothing confirmed yet.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Surprise Jar Time from a Vegas hotel room!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jackie D posted:

Also your review copies are free, as long as you don't upset anyone. Also paying youtubers CPM for saying nice things.
Youtubers aren't people, though?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Meme Emulator posted:

Just a reminder that this is the level of discourse found in Spec Ops: The Line, but everyone fawned over that, yet you call this post retarded?
Maybe he should have attached a pretty-yet-mediocre third person shooter to his post. :colbert:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ramagamma posted:

It's easy to be a dickhead on the internet.
It's pretty easy in real life, too. Just ask your high-school self!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The cynical side of me thinks that this is a problem that won't be solved until we grow older and teach the next generation of kids that this is something that should not be done.
You can't fix human nature.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Valve actually talked about Dota's communication ban system during a Steam Dev Days talk on data-driven design. Here's the relevant slide text:

quote:

Dota 2

Improve Player Communication
  • Explicit: Reduce negative communication
  • Data-Driven: Chat, reports, forums, emails, quitting
  • Theory-Driven: No feedback loop to punish negativity
  • Measurements: Chat, reports, ban rates, recidivism
  • Iterative: Will this work in TF2? Do these systems scale?
Hypothesis: Automating communication bans will reduce negativity in-game

Results
  • 35% fewer negative words used in chat
  • 32% fewer communication reports
  • 1% of active player base is currently banned
  • 61% of banned players only receive one ban
Clearly a ways to go, but it's interesting to have actual cold statistics behind this sort of thing.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Feb 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

404notfound posted:

Is it just me, or does 1% of the player base being banned sound like a lot? I wonder what percentage of the US population is currently in jail.
0.76%, or one out of every 100 adults. That is, unless Wapo's telling porkies.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Any amount of "being a dick" is taking it too far.
Consider the internet forum we've been posting on for close to a decade.

• Locked thread