Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Yup me last spot stamp it

It has been too long since I’ve played an amni game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

I require opinions on hawaiian pizza

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Mr. Steak posted:

is there a particular reason you specified "town" here?

lol scum found ##vote maigius

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

I haven't checked the thread since thursday and holy hell are there posts. Could someone helpfully summarize what has happened so far

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

If any of you nerds is a mason recruiter I miss having oot friends to bitch about games with :iia:

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

I made a really obvious and lazy joke that somehow killed jokephase when some people entirely missed the joke and then other people critized those people.

Squiggly claimed he's a miller and that if two people vote him he can let the town talk at night, but later clarified that it turns on the next night and he has charges for that power anyway so he doesn't need votes anyway and also it's actually twilight we can talk during???

Apart from the maigius thing those are the two main important points, I think.

Thank you! We are now friends

This is my jam list this fine Saturday. It should last me until tomorrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvUU8joBb1Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M91VPs47jZc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmq2A1rl62U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9HGwRbMiVY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jqKUWf-x9Y

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Is there a reason not to ignore the squigg stuff right now? I feel like the game will sort him out sooner or later either way wrt his claim, it seems like kind of an easy distraction rn

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

CapitalistPig posted:

I'll invite you to my masonry.

The best masonry in the history of all the mafias

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Squiggly posted:

The only reason I made it was because miller duh

Well obviously that's kinda what I'm saying

I'm more sus of the people making something of it

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

xopods posted:

I notice that not a lot of people are voting Scientastic, who is the scummiest person in the game right now. You should all do that.

Spoonsy's vote on Hum seems lazy and superficial, but you could say the same about the people voting for him. There have been a lot of lazy, superficial votes this game e.g. on the Andy joke scumclaim... I think that's more a symptom of the game size than an alignment tell on D1.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Voodoofly posted:

Yeah i sort of agree with hum. I think the responses to his speculation post are pretty strange and worth looking at once I’m not on my phone.

I agree with this

Sandwolf posted:

Spoonsy posted:

I’m on mobile but does the OP say anything about N0 actions? Either way, between that and this statement of two scum groups (which once again, mobile, but has anyone else brought up?), I feel comfortable in ##vote Humalong

If I’m wrong we look at CapitalistPig tomorrow.
I don’t really see this holding water against Spoonsy. Yeah he was wrong and believed kind of a stupid joke but I don’t think the thought process on display here is scummy. Real scum would have none this would not have worked and not so eagerly jumped into promotion of a chain lunch this early D1z

These are both bad takes imo

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Looking into it I'm cooling on maigius. This is their second game and reading them with that in mind sounds more earnest than scum imo ##unvote

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Pussy Quipped posted:

T-t-two scum teams???

This probably feels like the least genuine reaction to hum ##vote pq

I'm open to the idea of spoonsy but his post here felt to me more like he thought he found a (pretty bad) gotcha and was pushing that. Idk his reaction feels more candid than PQ's

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

xopods posted:

Yeah, ##vote Scientastic

I really don't like this whole "I was just kidding to provoke a reaction" backpedal. The original vote on Andy didn't seem like a joke to me, especially not after this response to me:

It's scummy the way he's now backpedaling from it and making it out like the whole point from the start was to see who'd react. Especially when supposedly scummy reactions include: (1) Voting Andy, (2) Defending Andy, (3) Being on the fence about Andy.

This feels lacking. Like, if there's a scummy argument to be made about Sci it's that he's still maintaining Andy's scummy based on his joke but he's moving on and making an effort to reanalyze in a way that I can see from a town mindset

idk that I buy xopods believes this

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

CapitalistPig posted:

I'll invite you to my masonry.

PIG WERE YOU LYING ABOUT THIS DONT TEASE :smith:

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Hey I just noticed the deadline, I’m working until probably around 6CST so I won’t be able to read much of the roughly 300 posts I missed but I’ll be in and out until deadline

I don’t want to lunch my buddy pig rn

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Voodoofly posted:

I'd definitely vote merk over maigius. I'm actually at the point now where I don't want to vote maigius at all - I think it was strange to claim but nothing about his claim seems scummy and I think a lot of the cases on him are way worse.

I'm fine voting merk. The post about Tom bragging about scum-hunting alone was pretty bad. I also think his case on Sand sucks and I agree with whoever made the joke about merk never mentioning meta this many times in any game ever.

However, I think his case on Science is a legit case - I don't think merk was trying to softpeddle his defense of steak, it was pretty blatant and about the only thing he did on Day 1.

So yeah I'd vote merk but I really prefer the vote on Andy. Going to read Science next I guess.

This actually sums up pretty well where I am at face value wrt merk & Sci. Most of the posting wrt merk has been pretty reasonable except for Sci; Sci I felt was more fixated on his steak vote which imo is less indicative. For the little merk did d1 it's not that out there to see how fhpov he made some kind of effort making a town call on steak. I'm down for a merk vote but his effort level has been pretty easy so far & I feel like would be low hanging fruit for other scum to try to grab a bit of a rub

Some cool setup spec if there are two scum teams, Scum you would think should still be able to scumhunt somewhat effectively since they're not more fully informed on alignment wrt the majority of the players and probably win at the expense of the other team. Reading merk felt like flailing at everyone that cased him, reading Sci felt like an awkward tunnel compared to say Sandwolf or Jose. Like he was either awkwardly trying to pick out other scum

I couldn't be around yesterday and now I have a bunch to catch up on again & candid thoughts to organize. The size of this game is more overwhelming atm than I was expecting

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Maigus I don't want to vote

Voodoofly posted:

So my biggest issue with Maigius today is the claim seems to come out of nowhere. He has admitted he thinks it was a stupid idea. How the claim came out itself I don't think is scummy - actually I guess not coming after merk out of the gate might be scummy since he eventually says he thinks merk is scum and he saw him last night.

But nonetheless I don't think anything about his claim sounds like he is lying or twisting it as it goes or anything and I'm just going to say again I have no drat idea why people are so bent on trying to capture people in a lie or claim that XXX role has no town, or scum, or whatever uses in a game this strange.

This is probably the towniest thing about his claim and method thereof imo. Scum would be more calculated, or more self aware imo. And he'd have access to other people to give him a bit of a check on himself

Maigius is new enough that I think he'd be too timid to claim something wild and he seems like he has a somewhat anxious self awareness of what he is doing. It doesn't seem very thought out at all imo with how it's been presented

Maigius posted:

I know my last second vote change to Spoonsy was a bit weird, but I had lost track of the vote count. Shortly afterwards Spoonsy did the vote echo thing that still feels weird to me, so I didn't switch back. I claim was in a moment of brain fart, where I thought it was a good idea. Looking back, I don't know why I did it. Currently, merk is pinging as scum right now.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

People claiming these people are scum because of these roles are raising an eyebrow for me

Maigius posted:

Why else you you disturb a dead body?

MisterJed posted:

Maigius is probably scum, but I'm not buying the case on merk. Many people this game thought steak was scummy for him acting the way he usually does, but merk (and others) were right that it's hard to peg a ready on him D1 because he is always act like this. I think criticizing merk's"strongly advocated" language isn't compelling, and I don't think him holding back on saying anything about the Maigius's claim is inherently scummy. There may be something there but the Maigius case is much more clear.

The only thing scummy about maigius's claimed role is if you're assuming that the roles in this setup allowing interaction with flipped players inherently benefit town. For what we know rn this seems largely neutral? If anything being able to see what's happening to the dead could end up being useful information and given that he's claimed already he's basically committed to giving us more information every day which could be revealing in a useful way wrt others or him :shrug:

I don't know how you can look at the presentation of his claims and think he's scummy for it imo it reads pretty earnest to me

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Jose Valasquez posted:

I didn't even know this guy was in the game, but he's a good candidate for a maigius scum buddy doing some light D1 bussing.

The rest of his posts are just hanging out on the periphery of other people's posts.

His one D1 take is:

Although unless he posts more he'll be modkilled anyway

I don't know how you could see this as bussing? I pulled off basically immediately after I made the post & looked at his history in votefinder to try to get some perspective on the guy. I usually like to feel like I'm pretty candid w my thoughts

This feels like kind of a forced read

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

reading xopods @ merk feels insincere

he was pretty tentative until he saw merk has momentum and even then it's kind of a flat finger point

xopods posted:

Anyway, this Spoonsy stuff seems like a moot point today because we probably have to lunch either merk or Maigius at this point...

I'm tempted to switch to merk because I can't figure out why he wouldn't explicitly confirm or deny the claim. I mean, if Maigius were lying, presumably merk would say so. But if merk did pick up the item I don't know why he'd refuse to say so... as either alignment really. It seems scummy to withhold that info but I don't see the upside in that case... it's not LESS suspicious to refuse to reveal anything, since collecting items from the dead isn't an inherently scummy power (thematically maybe, but not mechanically).

It's really confusing. Like, maybe he's hoping that Maigius will flip something that makes it apparent Maigius was lying and that we'll leave him alone after that, but then surely someone's going to ask "well if Maigius was lying why didn't you say so?"

xopods posted:

Yeah, I dunno. I'm hopelessly behind on work today and have to think about that and not this but ##vote merk for now at least.

Like he's hedging harder on merk until it's a surer thing which is weirder coming after throwing out kind of a claim based vote on mag earlier in the day, and wanting to lunch him d1

xopods @ merk posted:

Have you contributed anything to this game yourself beyond OMGUSing everyone who calls you scum?

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Jose Valasquez posted:

I didn't look that closely at timestamps tbh, almost all of your D1 posts happened in a 2 hour window so maybe just post more?

Hoping to! These deadlines have been somewhat inconvenient for me as it's basically at the end of my work day

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

There are good reasons to vote merk rn and these aren't them, but this helped me wrt you and seeing it from your pov. Your interaction with DGK makes me feel better about you fwiw

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

This is something I had open last night before I passed out and wanted to look into. Face value I liked it & going to try to read before I start work

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Sub Rosa posted:

Do people read this as a serious claim of being a mason recruiter? I thought it was a joke between cheese and pig on D1 but can't tell if this is still a joke or an actual role claim.

I had hopes that he was serious but now I'm just mad at the tease

Objectively probably in line with his d1 as others have said

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Jose Valasquez posted:

Mostly reiterating what's been said already, but Maigius has an interesting role that isn't very useful to the town. He buried PQ and his stuff so that nobody could take it but then someone took it anyway. Also he can tell who takes the stuff for some reason, which seems very useful to the town!

He hasn't done any scum hunting this game and he had a sketchy vote change near the deadline.

I'm fully down with a Maigius launch too

Imo after thinking & sleeping on it idk if we can really say whether his role is inherently scummy or not without knowing more about the setup and whether access to flipped players or knowledge about who has that access benefits scum more or less than town

I probably said something similar last night but rn I'm still pretty neutral on the role and leaning town on him for how he's played it

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Looking at Steaks posting he does a bit of dancing around CapnAndy that pinged me a bit

Shading voodoo for posting about Andy;

Mr. Steak@Voodoofly posted:

dude, what are you even trying to get at here? you think andy is legit scum and so is pq...?

Mr. Steak posted:

LordNad posted:

The whole CapnAndy debacle is giving me strong deja vu from Good Place D1.

Scientastic, Pussy Quipped, CapitalistPig, Sub Rosa

Bet one of them is scum for sure.

##unvote
hey, not to completely spam about this, but i'd add voodoofly to that list for shading andy, even if he never dropped a vote

towncalling Sci for dragging Andy, there were a few subsequent town calls on Sci from Steak

Mr. Steak posted:

Scientastic posted:

Who’s backpedaling? I still think CapnAndy’s post was scummy, I just think that other posts that were provoked by the interaction are scummier. I’m glad to say my views can evolve and that I am capable of viewing multiple players on a spectrum of scumminess. I think you’re reaching a bit here.
lol good to know you're town this game

Mr. Steak@Andy posted:

thats a surprising amount of words for such a nothing vote-reason. u just trying to plump up your vote post so it looks serious?

Just from these interactions & my gut one of Sci & Andy is probably scum. Leaning towards the latter atm

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

with how the rest of the day's gone I still think merk is objectively the better lunch for info, I don't really have much to add. Other scum reads I'll probably look harder at tomorrow: xopods, Andy, maybe Sci? I've been feeling a little better on Sci. I really want to spend more time looking at Andy but I've spent the last hour and a bit not working and that's going to bite me.

I also want to look closer at the votes on Maigius tomorrow when I have more time because a lot of those votes felt lazy and opportunistic

##vote merk

work time. I'll still be at work for deadline but I'll be in and out during the day

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Squiggly posted:

Cheese - made like 3 posts talking about people voting merk for bad reasons...and then voted merk

This is incorrect. I did make posts talking about how Sci was tunnelling on a bad case and xopods felt insincere in his merk pressure but otherwise assuming we're in a day where the decision is between merk and mag, I've been pretty clear w my preference I thought

Agreeing w/ voodoofly's reads, he's been pretty in tune w my impressions when I read the thread I've felt

There are good reasons to vote merk but Sci's sucks

Expanding on my comment with my vote a bit, I think most people have weighed in on merk/mag to be able to make connections after the flips but mag has volunteered information wrt his role whereas merk has kind of gone out of his way to make sure we know he has no intention to share anything.

Regardless of alignment, w Mag's claim we're getting his watch result now that he's claimed and possibly depriving scum from trying to gain from flipped roles. I see this as valuable? Neutral at best if you consider that he's preventing town from the same thing but I see more value in keeping power from everybody if it also keeps it from scum

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Like, it's possible to be critical of votes or cases on someone while still being open and willing to vote that person for better or less bad reasons. I guess was my point @ squigg

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Sub Rosa posted:

We're so spoiled for choice for scummy people to lunch that I don't know that I have much useful to contribute. I do think there are cases to be made for quite a few less obvious people to be scum, but casing them while I think merk is who should be lunched first seems counter-productive.

Flip side, it's objectively more helpful to share those opinions as you have them so other people can weigh in on them or you separate from the merk lunch

Like, say you get killed tonight and you're seeing something that hasn't been pointed out yet right. Then that's just gone. You're playing the game not just the day

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

MisterJed posted:

I feel like a lot was said about maigius early on, then everyone (rightfully) started exploring others rather than just l*nch maigius immediately, but his beginning-of-day posting was suspicious and we should move back to him.

What was suspicious about it? I really don’t know how anyone can read through Maigius and his history and feel like he’s scum. Your drive by was particularly bad

Ready to eat my hat on this one if he does flip scum but imo he’s been very newbie town

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

I’m gonna catch up in a little bit once I’ve eaten and I’m back at my laptop but this stuck out to me

Sub Rosa posted:

But xopods was bussing Scientastic pretty hard early D1 in a way that didn't feel like legit scum hunting to me.

I thought it was funny you used the word bussing here. Are you three scumming together? ##vote sub

Also what the hell was that eod sal detour

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Hey, something came up w my mom this weekend and in the small amount of time I've had for this I've been pretty overwhelmed with the size of the game. I'm really sorry, I hate feeling like I'm phoning it in

Catching up, I plan to be around all day;

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Maigius posted:

Claim chart

This is helpful, thank you!

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Holy poo poo this shade @ sals claim scums me right out

Sub Rosa posted:

At this point I'm questioning how much I believe the cop claim. I had the thought that if I had that power, I wouldn't pick three people I suspect as scum, I would pick two people I think are town and one person I think is scum. Of course picking three suspicious people is also a fair play. If it comes back with three positives, that is one hell of a game changer.

So then I thought what are the implications if this role is a complete fabrication by scum. I started by wondering what would play out if scum picked three suspected townies to claim were targeted. The optimal play then would be to say only one was scum. Then you try to get town to vote all three in sequence out based on the cop claim. Because obviously every person on the list that flips town makes the people remaining on the list seem like scum. So maybe you could get town to lunch three townies in a row early while scum nightkills at least one if not two people every night. After that you get lunched for the obvious fake claim, but maybe town doesn't survive that much carnage. Possible that one of your suspected townies flips scum but not from your team, which is still a win because now you are confirmed cop.

Then I thought about what if you instead put three scum on the list. Again claiming only one is scum. Let town lunch it's pick, and then the other two can claim to be confirmed town and the cop a confirmed cop.

Problem with this is that there seems to be either two scum teams or a scum team plus SK. The other team/SK could decide to just kill the cop, and then when the cop flips scum, the jig is up.

Of course if DMBoogie is actually scum, but honest about the Crusador role, maybe there could be a play there that guarding the cop to keep town from ever seeing the cop's flip could let scum make it to the win. Then again, Crusador only kills one random visitor, so that's still risky.

So at the end of all of that, I'm still not sure if I believe or disbelieve the cop claim. But I don't think we can say the role claim is proven just by lunching one person on the list, no matter how they flip.

Squiggly posted:

Sub Rosa posted:

It isn't a standard cop role though, this is a weird game. Standard cop claims can be verified with a single lunch so fake claiming doesn't have the upside this claim does if it is a take claim. We definitely shouldn't take it at face value imo.
See this is scummy

Also this post from xopods along with his excrutiatingly holy poo poo long analysis post re Sal that throws a bunch of shade for a lean town;

xopods posted:

These are good points on this last page about Sal and his role... I hadn't really questioned it all that much at first because although I haven't seen Sal's scum game, an unprompted fakeclaim didn't seem like it'd be his style. If I had to guess at a Sal scum game based on his Town game, I'd have guessed he'd be the laid-back type that comments on cases without making many of his own and just tries to fly under the radar.

However, I initially understood it to be a standard Ecco Cop, i.e. returning a binary result on whether there is or isn't Scum in the group, rather than an exact number.

That version is both much less common (to the point that I've never seen it before) and vastly more powerful than a standard Ecco Cop. Enough so that I think it is a good reason to doubt it.

There's just so much upside to the gambit as Scum, if you name three Town players, and limited downside. Can't be proven wrong until all three flip, yet can lead potentially multiple mislunches in the meantime.

Anyway, I guess I gotta add Sal to my list of people to re-read. Gonna tick off a few more people on that list now.

I really can't imagine the scum motivation for making a claim like this at this point in the game. I think it's easier to make it seem like he's setting up a chain lunch than to actually carry it out in principle, since if he is lying it's likely that he's going to be a night action target going forward and he's committing to keep providing us results

Lying about something like that at this point in the game puts a target on his head more than anyone else

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

I'm okay w a DGK vote rn, I don't have much to add. Going to look him over again anyways

I didn't feel very strongly one way or the other wrt DGK before his claim. It kind of looks like he's making it up as he goes along and the only other people that have flipped skill/skill were the two flipped scum

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

unrelated unpopular opinion: janeway is kinda hot

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Squiggly posted:

Bro

7 of 9

st:p spoiler

Yeah but Janeway is attainable? I could definitely take Chakotay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Sub Rosa posted:

I was right that something was off with the claim, it was just off because he misread, not because he is scum.

Looking over your thought process wrt to the claim I can see a fluid effort to understand it.

What weirds me out was with a cop claim in a large game like this with unique roles the reaction was to shade it and question the validity. You just seem kind of all over the place and I'm feeling more like your effort seems earnest but I don't get some of your calls

Sub Rosa posted:

I've mostly had a town read on Nep, except for the Sal vote end of day D2. I find dmboogie's role claim and admitting to have killed hambeet plausible. I lean towards a scum read on DGK. If Nep is SK, the entombed stuff, which I also believe, means that if DGK flips town, we can still lunch Nep tomorrow and not have any more SK kills. And if DGK flips scum, then Nep is cleared, at least to the extent we believe the even night cop claim.

##vote DGK2000

Like this. If you think you have the SK pegged why would you not want to vote them and get rid of the extra nk while we can