Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Riversideblues posted:

I'm about to play the snes game that had always alluded me, sorry if I've missed it earlier in the thread but can anyone give me a rundown of Secret Of Mana??

(Why does a bar go from 0-100% when I swing my sword?)

- The bar represents your swing strength. When you attack, it empties, and quickly refills. Basically, unless you HAVE to hit something, maybe to hiccup it, only attack when you are at 100%. The same bar also manages your dash, so make sure you don't get caught in a corner after an attack with no way to run.

- Never buy anything from Neko unless you are in dire straights. He overcharges for everything, and you can get anything he offers from the current town.

- Don't forget the Magic Rope. It makes the exit from some places very simple, especially in emergencies.

- Offensive spells stack. Meaning, you can get back into the magic menu before the monster reacts to the previous spell, and before the damage pops up. Spamming spells will add up, and eventually, when you stop, all the damage comes in a massive burst. This is almost always the best method of boss killing.

- With a few exceptions, all of the buff spells are downright useless. They last for far too short of a duration, and don't make that much of a difference to justify the MP spent. Blast something instead.

- The elemental weapon spells can be quite useful, especially in certain areas (the crystal forest comes to mind). In addition to increasing damage done to enemies weak to that element, they can cause status effects, such as setting aflame or turning into a snowman.

- As far as weapons go, using them increases your skill with them. You can charge up your weapon to the level of skill you possess with it. Problem is, most of the higher level charges are not worth the incredibly long time it takes to ready them. You usually won't go above a 4th level charge attack.

- In the ACT menu, you can set the maximum level that you can charge your weapon attacks to. Do this on your AI partners, as otherwise they will spend half the fight doing nothing but charging, only to totally whiff their big bad double spin jump slash.

- Pick two weapons you like, and stick with them. Same for the AI. There are 8 in the game, and some enemies are more susceptible to certain ones. If you use only 6, you will always have any situation under control. This also helps to make sure you reach the max weapon level with those weapons. If you need to control a specific weapon for some reason (for shooting something behind a barrier that your AI won't attack, for instance), switch who you are controlling, not the weapon you are using.

- There a few areas of the game that just flat out suck. Be prepared for the Upperland, the Promised Land (I think it's called that), and the desert. Oh god the desert. Don't get frustrated, and just keep your head.

- Expect to die on bosses, at least until you get the majority of your magic. Once you learn their attack patterns, you'll be fine. A glaring example is Spiky Tiger in a certain castle. He will do all kinds of crazy poo poo, like roll around super fast, and pin someone down and gnaw the poo poo out of them, doing massive damage. One of the harder bosses I can remember.

That's all I can think of for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Just got Skyrim remaster for PS4. Honestly I've probably played Skyrim for PS3 about as much as I've played any game. I was just wondering is there anything different about this remaster?

Graphical improvements, that's it. They didn't even fix bugs.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Grand Theft Auto V

I just grabbed this on steam. The last one I played was San Andreas and loved the hell out of it. So far I've just done the Story Mode for a couple hours, haven't gotten to Trevor yet. I used to just play these games with the cheat codes automatically, but I'm doing this legit so far. Should I give online a try? I've read about it a bit but I'm not sure how I feel about it to be honest. Any other tips are cool too of course, I never really followed this game too much before. It seems really cool though.

Online is really great if you have some friends to gently caress around with. It is a hellish nightmare world with pubbies.

The single player story is fantastic, I highly suggest playing it all the way through legit.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

How's the online for PC? Is hacking/cheating a problem at all?

Lol yes. I think they implemented an anti cheat, but it is dubious at best. Avoid pubbies at all costs.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lobok posted:

I ended up restarting and it wasn't that bad because I forgot how much of the first twenty minutes or so are training and tutorials that you can skip, so I got back to where I had left off very quickly. Now to wait until the save simulation options come up and I can do a forums search in this thread for the best choices (they're not in the Wiki).

Keep Letho alive, nothing else really matters.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

juliuspringle posted:

Is there any consensus as to a solid solo character in each Borderlands game?

Whatever sniper there is. Anybody with support skills are subpar with no team, anybody designed for close range is subpar with no support, and the siren is tricky to get right. Just be a sniper and headshot everything.

Also, solo Borderlands is really boring imo, get a friend or 2.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kalenden posted:

Anything for Endless Legend? With all expansions.

The wiki has everything I would have said here.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kalenden posted:

Okay, thanks!

Also, any advice for (totally unrelated) Shadowrun: Hong Kong?

The ghoul is a great party member, don't pass on him.

Giving your party items makes them vanish at mission end if you don't use them.

There is a feng shui run. Bring gobbet.

Best etiquettes are shadowrunner and gang (corporate is good too).

Duncan gets a magnet arm. Get it. Use it. It is stupidly good.

Specialize one way or the other with racters drone.

Also, anything from Dragonfall applies. Talk to your team (and the magic shop owner) at every opportunity.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The Something Awful Forums->Discussion->Games->All We Talk About is Persona

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

1redflag posted:

What if I told you that both of our posts contribute less to this thread than the post you quoted?

Unfathomable

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

Any pointers on Project CARS? I didn't see anything on the wiki.

Don't start at the bottom tier, it is go karts and it is awful.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I'm not playing Persona 5, but anybody have tips on how to create S-Links with real people? My persona is not very good.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Ok but like, do I need to wait until it's raining to invite someone over to study?

Persona is loving stupid.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

AlMac posted:

I had only played about 20 minutes on normal so I took the advice from here and restarted on hard.

I'm playing on the regular campaign first just to chill out and see the story, but I'll take everyone's advice into account when I start adventure mode later. Thanks!

You can change difficulty by going to the character select screen, you don't have to restart. In fact, as your character gets stronger, you will want to keep raising difficulty.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Xander77 posted:

I feel bad enough about killing whales that I'm considering skipping those upgrade. But my gaming OCD is fighting back, hard.

Wish there was a way to buy construction materials.

Just trade cannon balls with random ships for materials :black101:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Chill Nazi Frog posted:

yeah, be ready to tab out and play your own music because that poo poo-kicking loop is real short and real interminable.

You can actually put your own music files into the game, and have them queue in different situations. I use EVE Online music, and it plays 3 different port themes, a couple travel themes, and a number of different battle themes, all randomly when in those situstions.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

GoneRampant posted:

Any advice for XCOM 2 on PS4? Grabbed it on a whim.

Play on Ironman, and don't try to do everything. Prioritize. Also, the meter on the world map isn't exactly as bad as it seems to be.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Don't play on Ironman for your first run through, that's crazy. Play for a bit so you can get a hang of the mechanics and flow of the game, then start over with Ironman.

Counterpoint: play on Ironman so you don't develop bad habits that will get your people killed.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

This is good advice. The first time I played, I spent a few rounds just running around on my own, and as a result just kept dying. Finally, a guy gets on the mic and says "dude don't rush off ahead; stay with us or you'll just die." I immediately went from getting exploded every seven seconds to being able to live long enough to actually help accomplish the goal, and all I did was stick with the group.

Another good piece of advice for a first time Overwatch player is to make sure and spew racism and homophobia at anybody who gives you advice, and then keep doing whatever it was you were doing in the first place regardless of how ineffective it is.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

That's a rather elaborate way of just saying "choose Hanjo."

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Nf3 posted:

I chose Excalibur because I saw theres goons in it from the OP, but how would I find them on the world stage?

Join one of the 3 free companies. Check the thread in the mmo hmo

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Nf3 posted:

Can't on trial. How does the Main Quest work with parties?

It doesn't. You'll need to solo alot of it. You are THE main character.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Nomadic Scholar posted:

What would be a good spoiler free primer for Prey 2017?

Don't bother with the body scavenging perk.

Shotgun is bae.

There are very few places the gloo gun can't get you. Be creative.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Brightman posted:

I didn't find the key card for that room until recently, it's actually supposedly available sooner next to a corpse the one right when you enter the lobby in fact.

There is an airduct you can climb through that gets you into the security office. Stop thinking about keycard. Assume there isn't one.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Zaodai posted:

Or cheating, or knowing someone who does.

Or only playing it as co-op with friends

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Capsaicin posted:

For XCOM Enemy Within

I'm only a few missions in, but are there certain aliens I can't use the taser on and take them in for interrogation? One of the spider lookin' dudes had one health left and I couldn't bring him in for questioning. :(

You can't bring a chrysallid in for questioning.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kenny Logins posted:

First one, Returns, is the worst but still worth playing. Quickness/dodge/firearms/shotguns will do you fine. Dragonfall is much better and Hong Kong better still. I think you can click my posts in this thread for some tips otherwise there's the wiki.

I heartily disagree about the first being worth playing. It will leave a bad taste in your mouth and color your perception of a great series. I know many people who wrote the series off after SR, only to later go back for Dragonfall after my insistence and realize the mistake they made.

That said, you don't really get a good mage in either Dragonfall or Hong Kong, so those might be good classes to roll to start.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Groovy, thanks folks. I think I'll skip the first one since time is an increasingly limited resource as one ages.

Good plan. You can always come back to it, and even play it through the Dragonfall client, with all the mechanic and interface improvements it provides.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lucinice posted:

Hey I've been wanting to play a star control game since that franchise is in the news. Which one should I start with? Should I start at 1 or skip it for one of the others? Also what should I know about whatever game is best to start with?

Ur-quan Masters, full stop.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

LawfulWaffle posted:

I really enjoyed EV Nova back in the day, but have never played a Star Control game. I didn't know I was gonna find a sick recommendation this morning.

The sickest. Spathi-Fu for life!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

LawfulWaffle posted:

Well, I guess this question naturally follows: What should I know before playing Ur-Quan Masters for the first time?

http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Star_Control_2:_The_Ur-Quan_Masters

This is a good start. The game sort of thrives on letting you figure poo poo out as you go, so imo going in mostly blind is ideal.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

What's so bad about Star control 3? Real question cause I never played it

It isn't Star Control 2

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

every time I play Ur-Quan Masters I try to go somewhere and get ambushed by some horribly powerful thing and die and never get the chance to work out the controls and quit

Sounds like you're not a *happy camper*. Maybe you should try *smelling* *pretty colors*. *Smelling* *pretty colors* is the best *game*.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Elex has middling to bad reviews on most of the internet, what redeems it to make it a goon darling?

We have notoriously bad taste and stupid opinions.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

Dwarf Fortress.... IN SPACE

Pretty much, yeah. Just way easier to control and understand.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Leavemywife posted:

SNES Secret of Mana tips? My wife and I are about to pick up Undine, but I feel like we're not being efficient.

Pick a weapon for each character and stick with it. Try to diversify, aka melee, mid range, and ranged. Switch who you control to deal with situations, not what weapon you have.

I don't bother charging attacks above level 3. The time it takes is better spent hitting poo poo.

Once you have magic, you can open your ring menu and cast again before the spell actually goes off. Chain spells like this and you can cause unavoidable, catastrophic amounts of damage.

The haunted forest boss is the wake up call. Make sure you spend the time to optimize your gear before trying to tackle it.

Don't ever buy poo poo from Neko.

This is much later, but the pure land will gently caress. You. Up. Grind for a few levels and maxed gear.

How do you feel like you're not being efficient?

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 25, 2017

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Edit: oops

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Leavemywife posted:

Thanks for the advice! It just seemed like we weren't as strong as we should be, even though we've killed every enemy we encountered. Extra, even, since we got turned around a little bit getting down to Gaia's Navel.

You have to remember that this is an SNES era rpg, and you will have to grind for levels and equipment here and there. You can usually tell when you need to train based on how difficult enemies are though.

Also, you understand the % charge meter when you swing right? Don't swing until it gets back to 100%, or you won't do any damage (it can be useful to hiccup something though with tiny hits so you can reposition or let your team mates clear off other enemies).

Also, change your AI partner's behavior! By default they act like idiots and try to charge attacks to max and then whiff them. It's the ACT icon in your ring menu.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 25, 2017

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

You're making it sound like this one is good. How does it hold up compared to say, AC2? I know comparing it to Black Flag is apples and oranges. I haven't given a poo poo about AC since Revelations dissapointed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Mass Effect Andomeda? Just nabbed it on a great sale on xbox live. I've played all the others in the series.