Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Sexy Slippers posted:

Care to share where you got it from so I can one or three as a presents?

I'm interested in this as well. These things look sweet and corny as hell to own. Searches only show the real thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

ACID POLICE posted:

I got my Kongfeng GB Boy Colour today and made a video of me playing a couple games really badly with one hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYHF8P9KEps

e: I do have the battery cover, I was just SO HYPE to play it i didn't even put it back on

I probably attributed to 3-4 views on that video. Where are you guys getting those?

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

ACID POLICE posted:

trunkwontopen: fatpat268 got them and he posted a couple pages back the taobao search term that'll let you find them. They're not very expensive but you probably have to deal with a forwarding service.

Thanks. Found the link to them. I'll see what I can figure out on how to get 1 or 2 of these things over to the States. These things are only $12??

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

fatpat268 posted:

Yes. But when I ordered two a few weeks ago, all told I was about $60 in the hole for them (still not much, mind you). You have to pay shipping to the brokers, and a few (usually not much). And then once they receive it, you have to pay shipping to get shipped to you. This cost me almost $20.

Also, the whole process takes at a minimum of 3 weeks to get to you.

Edit: Oh, and ACID, if you haven't already, I recommend taking off the screen protector, as it adds a small blue/greenish hue to the screen.

Hmm. seems like a headache. I don't mind waiting. Did they come with those extra carts as well? I love some of the higher end Chinese knock off crap.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Wasper posted:

I don't have a particularly good camera on hand, so the image is going look pretty blurry.

Basically, the "Nintendo" on the board is different, it resembles the licensed by one on the sticker more than anything, and instead of a 2001 copyright date, there's some circle with a line in it that looks like a mario coin. It's next to the nintendo logo.

You could also tell from the back and the label. Can you post pictures of that?

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
Looks like They have shipped my 3 GB Boy Colour's from China/Russia/somewhere over on the other side of the planet. FatPat was right; it does take forever.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

fatpat268 posted:

Normally it's a little quicker, but Chinese new years tends to screw things all up.

I originally reordered more a while back, but my order got canceled. I recently bought a couple more, and they seem like they should be getting to the reshipper soon. We'll see.

Thanks again for your help on this! :) I honestly don't mind the wait. I just prefer to play the GB/GBC games on the actual unit that it was meant for, as opposed to playing it on one of the scrap AGS-101 units that I have. The cartridge sticking out has always bugged me.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Today's grabs:

$2, $8 and $15 respectively.

That Dragon Quest game looks a little funny. Especially in that case. I did get an obviously pirated Tetris DS game in a similar case.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
Got my 3 GB Boy Colors from the post office this morning. Ordered on the 28th of February.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

fatpat268 posted:

Oh boy, a box of goodness just came in from china:

This things are kinda neat. Thanks again for getting me set up with the process. And yeah, the 188-in-1 are about 40-50 games, just repeating. Some of those games are really strange and confusing. Wish there was a way to alter the list.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Random Stranger posted:

I installed the Katamari Damacy soundtrack to my Xbox so any game that supports a custom soundtrack plays it instead.

I think the opening sequence to Katamari Damacy being played during Left 4 Dead 2 would be simply mind blowing.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
After late night, 3rd shift scrounging auctions for complete GameCube listings, I found one that had a composite and component cable, 2 Wave Bird's, and a few games for 90 shipped. Not a bad deal, methinks. Now my GC looks all pretty.

Also, question for you Nintendo experts. I walked into a local Play N' Rape the other day, and they had official Nintendo GameCube memory cards that held 2043 blocks. IIRC, they only made up to 1019 blocks (128 MB). Could someone have swapped the guts out with one of those knock-off cartridges and passed it off? Or, could they have released one that held that many blocks for the purposes of the Wii 001 models?

They wanted ~20 bucks for one, and the employees were really too busy to ask to pull from the case.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

PS. Love the cabin posted:

Any good GB games I should be on the lookout for?
I only had Tetris and Pokemon blue/red growing up.

If you are into RPG's, Final Fantasy Legend II is probably the best one. And, of course, the Zelda titles are must haves. Castlevania I and II are not too bad, but awfully short. There's a good library of games that can be had, it's all about what will tickle your fancy.

Blackchamber posted:

I just picked up a GB Boy for my mom. She's been playing regular Tetris for gameboy on a clear purple gameboy color for like 10 years. We've gotten her different versions of Tetris over the years but shes not interested and we've also tried getting her to play it on a gba-sp because it has a lit screen to spare her eyes, but she went right back to the gameboy color under a lamp because she likes how it feels more. So I bought her the gb boy in clear purple and hopefully she'll make the switch this time.

Good move. Nothing like being curled up on the couch with a GB Boy Colour playing Tetris DX. The GB Boy Color is my throwaway unit, while the 30+ other GB/GBC/GBP's sit in the box.

Question time: Does anyone have a Gameboy Light? I have one, and it seems that either the power switch, or the connection to the batteries might be a little finicky. Sometimes, it will turn on, sometimes it will not. Sometimes it will turn on, but then turning on the light will kill the entire unit. Anyone experience this?

trunkwontopen fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 3, 2013

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Risky posted:

Goddamn dude, you sound just like me. I grew up with zelda games (I'm 35) and the last game in the series I played and beaten was Link to the Past. The 3D Zeldas put me off big time not just because of the 3D factor but 3D graphics at the time were absolutely horrendous. I remember thinking graphics are going to have to improve a lot before they should do another 3D Zelda game. I also tend to think every game in the series is just trying poorly to capitalize on the success of Link to the Past.

You are in the same boat as me. I've finished the consoles up to ALttP, and it took me a long long time to figure out how to walk around a 3D environment in Windwaker/Twilight Princess. It's because of this, and the portability, why I find the remake of Ocarina of Time such an awesome thing....to the extent where I am confused as to why people bash it for being a remake.

To comment further on your post, I think you hit the nail square on the head when you say that they are attempting to capitalize on ALttP because of A Link Between Worlds, which, I won't lie, I have on reserve.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Yeah,yeah last page stuff, but seconding this book; I've read through it twice. They do make a few mentions about WoW, and it is very technical, but it does explain 85% on how the Atari games worked (especialll going into a long, drawn out technical discussion on Adventure), and 15% on the history of Atari, Inc. The added stories on how easter eggs came about is an interesting read as well.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Midnight Raider posted:

I paid for a cart-only but otherwise excellent condition Super Mario Bros. 3 with a piece of beef jerky.

Keeping up with the strange trades, I cleaned someone's microwave out for a silver Gameboy Pocket and a copy of Legend of Zelda: LA. It amazing what a mug of water and 3 minutes in the microwave will do for dried food.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Vegastar posted:

I walked up to my local mom and pop game shop a few minutes ago to snag another WiiU pro controller for Mario kart this evening. As I approached the checkout, I heard a voice call out to me from the display case. I turned to look, and the clouds parted, angels rejoiced, and the sun shone upon what mine eyes spied.

That's not a bad price, at all. I was able to pick up a complete, with disc, gamecube gameboy player for 19.99 when I took a jog out there. They have a nice, small selection.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Pengu! posted:

I'm not exactly sure how "retro" it is, but I'd thought I'd ask here anyway. Are there any good third party PS2 controllers?

I recently snagged a wireless Logitech controller for my PS2 for around $14 shipped from eBay. Its got a nice solid click to it, and after getting used to it (the width of the controller being a bit wider than the DS2 controller), it feels pretty solid. Has a nice feel to it, good solid clicking, and virtually no lag.

I've also read good things about Katana controllers, however, those I have found on the higher end of the $25-$35 spectrum.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
YAY: I got my Everdrive GB in the mail today.
BOO: Probably won't have much time between now and the 12th to mess around from it.

Shipping from Ukraine to the US actually didn't take that long, about a week and a half, tops. I'm impressed.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

minidracula posted:

Please suggest unto me your favorite GB Advance, DS, and GB/GBC games so I can start adding to the paltry selections I happen to have with me at the moment.

Not knowing your current selection of games, you can't go wrong with the Castlevania's for NDS and GBA. Also, for the GBA, the Zelda titles (Minish Cap and 4 swords) for GBA, warioware for mini games. The two Metriod titles for GBA are also pretty good. They remade Final Fantasy 1 and 2, and the 6th one as well.

Gameboy and GBC, tetris or Picross is a good choice, the Zelda titles are good. I'm kind of the person that loves to crank on puzzle games or RPG's for the GB and GBC as a lot of action or adventure games are really short. Any of the Final Fantasy's or Ultima games are good for RPG. Pokemon, if that is what you are into.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

absolutely anything posted:

i finally did it

drat. I can't believe how much those things went up. I vaguely remember something about the first batch of those having issues. My only friend that had a DC, back in the day, had purchased about 3-4 of them when he was playing his DC religiously, simply because they kept "burning out." Last I heard on the subject, almost 11 years ago, he had gone to Circuit City and purchased about 10 of them. I wonder if he still has them, and what the actual issue was.

And, on a related note, I scored a purple GCN (yes, I still call it that) with a few games, a controller, and a broadband adapter for $28 shipped. Now I can run crossover 8-player mario kart!

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

The fake 3.5" floppy disk fronts add character to this machine. People always made fun of me having them in recent builds of my PC, but I always thought they were spectacular. :colbert:

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Tyson Tomko posted:

One that's not super duper rare or super expensive that I won't get because I already have a different model of one would be a gold or a Pikachu N64.

I didn't even know that they made a gold N64. I popped into the retro game store here in town, and they had one. Said that some guy had 7 of them that he traded in. They look neat and tempting, but the N64 was a console I overlooked for PC gaming when it was out, so I'm unfamiliar with the rarity/fun games for it except the normal Nintendo AAA titles. Ended up picking up Blaster Master: Blasting again for 2.99 though, so that worked out.

I don't need another console. Have to save for house. If I keep repeating myself that, maybe one day I'll listen.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Has anyone ever successfully received an item from this dude? Ever? I'm genuinely curious. He offered me a 32X last year and I almost bought it, now I feel like I dodged a bullet.

Waay back in the day, we would cut each other deals. Probably 2-3 sales over the past few years, as far as my records go. I honestly don't remember if AP ever paid me for some Xbox 360 controller parts, but really didn't care, as I had them lying around, and shipping was 2-3 bucks. We did cut a deal on a "group buy" from a fellow goon for some GB/GBC games. He took forever to respond to PM's, but didn't waste any time posting elsewhere on the site.

There was an issue with a sale of a CIB copy of CaveStory 3D, however. Negotiated price through PM, I paid. I'm usually a patient guy, but was told through PM's that the item shipped, he would send me the tracking number. Never did. Then told me that the item was in the back of their car, okay, fine. Would get item shipped, send me the tracking number, and it would sit there with Electronic Info Received. He would tell me that he did drop it off at the post office, but the status never changed.

My professional relationship with the USPS (E5 Government Security Clearance with the USPS, I helped set up Internet, routing and phone systems for approx 3 thousand of their offices) combined with the dealings with the USPS for over 25 years knew this to be false. I believe a third 2-day tracking number was presented, item took 5 days to get here, and the package was impacted/crushed to where the game case left an impression in the package. The sleeve for the game was torn. I could feel that the case was potentially damaged as well. Overall, it took almost a month and a half to get this from point A to point Z.

Because it was closing quickly into the 45-day mark, I demanded a refund in lieu of contacting a mod about all of this, rejected the package back to the post office (after putting some tape over the holes), and considered it a wash after I got my money refunded. I didn't want him to get punished over this because of his retro contributions/knowledge to SA. We even attempted to set up other exchanges, but after the PM's went unanswered, so did my priority.

OH NO MAN posted:

I kinda got the vibe that Acid wasn't exactly the most organized person in the world, but I didn't mind that too much because neither am I.

I hope everything's okay. :ohdear:

I get that feeling too, but I would also think that, given the circumstances, a quick "hey, here's your status on things" in a more increased frequency would keep this subject out of this thread. Also, judging from the FMB thread, supplying tracking numbers after the items were properly handed over to the post office. It does seem like this is recent behavior.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

univbee posted:

Krikzz shaves off about $15 per unit once you buy 10 or more at a time. I went with ACID's group buy because currently you can't buy an EDGB in a case officially, you just get a bare board.

Maybe that is for a group buy? Mine came in a clear GBC-like case, it says GAME on the top, wrapped in an anti-static bag.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

univbee posted:

There's still no way to run PS1 burns on a softmodded PS2 is there?

I'm interested in knowing this as well, and read somewhere that it can be done, can in the loosest sense. I could have sworn somewhere that you can even "backup" PS1 games via the PS2 with some type of Browser 2.0 softmod.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

KKKLIP ART posted:

I am about 99% sure that my HDTV refuses to take the output from my SNES. My N64 works perfectly using the exact same cables, so I know it isnt those. I've gotten it to display the splash screen on a few games, and no signal on others. All recently cleaned and all that. I get sound, but for some reason I feel like my TV just won't display that low of a resolution. I can't deal out for something baller status to upscale like the Framemeister, but I was looking at something like this to get me by. Any other ideas that might get some sort of a display?

I was in the same boat as you, but oddily enough, it was my Nintendo that wouldn't display the resolution on my older TV, but the SNES worked fine. I ended up picking up a 4-channel RCA splitter that output through a single HDMI and all devices worked through that, the NES, SNES and GCN. Sadly, I do not own that TV nor that splitter anymore after an upgrade, nor remember where I got the splitter, otherwise I would provide you with a model number. Never owning an N64 in my entire life, I'm not sure if the SNES and N64 share the same resolution.

What you have there may work, but it might be as simple as checking the settings within the TV to see if there is some option that has to be tuned to display lower resolution through non-HDMI components. Have you tried googling your TV + SNES issues?

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Not just any old magnet would work, you need something stronger. I suggest magnets from a hard drive, if you should happen to have any lying around, or know of someone that does. Otherwise, you can attempt to bore a hole through the mechanism with a soldering tip.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Crimson Harvest posted:

Ikaruga is on steam now.

Holy crap, really? I have to load that up on the GCN at some point. Heard its really good. Aaand, on the topic of shmups, does anyone know if they bundled Sky Soldiers on some comp disc and released it for some console? I would love to have another go at that.

Also, neat find during a home visit the other day. Found one of those mini CD holders for GCN games in the wild, 2.99. Wasn't really looking for one, but decided to buy it. Interesting to note, the shop I got it from was selling obvious hacked copies of Pokemon GBA games, like Chaos Black, complete with printed labels. Debating on hitting up Nintendo's piracy line.

Would have snapped a pic, but we were the only customers in the store, so they were having a conversation and watching us.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
The EDGB does not play nice with the GB Boy Colour. It hard locks the system. I'll have to dig out my extreme purple GBC to use this. Either that, or the card I am using might be bad.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

flyboi posted:

It works fine with the GB Boy Colour, it's your sd card.

fatpat268 posted:

I've head this before, but I never had a problem with the everdrive on my GB boy.

I hope it's not an issue with the EDGB itself. I'll have to check it back out when I get home from work. Didn't get a chance to try it in anything else, and it dawned on me that I had a GB Player on the GCN hooked right up I could have tried it on.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
Tried 2 different memory cards, still not getting my Everdrive GB to work. Should the menu come up without a MicroSD card in there? A YT video I watched mentioned that the OS is actually burned onto a chip on the cart itself. I followed that guy's instructions to a T, and I'm still not getting anything. I either got a bad Everdrive GB, or this GB Boy Color doesn't like it.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

flyboi posted:

No, it will boot the last good game on the cart. Try using the SD card formatter and then put 1 rom on the sd card

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Okay, tried that, getting the same results. Do the ROM's need to be in a folder off of the root directory (i.e. G:\)? Do I need some type of additional files placed on there? I am using a verified good 1 GB Lexar MicroSD card, formatted to FAT or FAT32 (tried both). The only other card that I'm trying is from my phone, which is a 32GB card. I would hate to see that it's this EDGB cart that is bad, I'm thinking its seriously the GB Boy Colour. If it makes a difference, I have the particular model of the GBBC that had the 130 some-odd games on the chip that boot if there is no game inserted.

trunkwontopen fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 23, 2014

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

flyboi posted:

Shouldn't need any other files, try posting on krikzz's forum and ask him for some help

I'll do that. I'm not in a position to try this on other hardware, want to do that first. Thanks!

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

flyboi posted:

Shouldn't need any other files, try posting on krikzz's forum and ask him for some help

Yay! Forums are back. Wanted to let you know that its something with my GB Boy Colour, the cart works fine in the GC and both a Japanese and US version GBP and GBC. Thanks for the help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Behold: the lamest Triforce in existence!

The Triforce of Wisdom.

• Locked thread