Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

So I just got around to playing X-Com 2. I love it, I really do; I miss the campier tone of the first but I think it's a fantastic sequel that makes good, solid improvements over the first, retains a lot that makes Enemy Within great, and is still it's own distinct entity.

But Holy poo poo you can't get anything done on the command map without it loving needling you literally, and I mean literally every half second with a show stopping, flow destroying piece of information. I just contacted a black market and found that it had something I really wanted, but I was 5 intel short. No problem, I just fly 3 inches back to base to scan for more. Literally like 10 seconds of scanning.

This loving game interrupted me 7 loving times in a row like HEY THERE'S A MISSION OVER HERE NOW AND ALSO YOUR WORKSHOP IS DONE AND HEY ANOTHER MISSION AND IT'S THE END OF THE MONTH AND WE LIKE YOUR PROGRESS UH OH THE ADVENT BUILT ANOTHER BLACKSITE LET'S ZOOM ALL THE WAY TO AUSTRALIA AND SHOW IT TO YOU HERE'S A BUNCH OF loving POPUP WINDOWS ALSO HERE'S YOUR COUNTER OPERATIONS FOR THE MONTH AND NOW WE NEED TO STOP SO CENTRAL CAN TELL YOU IT'S IMPORTANT TO FIGHT THE ALIENS WHOA ANOTHER AVATAR PROJECT MARKER JUST DRAMATICALLY FILLED UP AND NOW THAT YOU'VE CLICKED THROUGH A HALF DOZEN EVENTS AND ARE 1 JESUS-loving SECOND AWAY FROM HAVING THE INTEL YOU NEED TO BUY THE THING YOU CAN'T EVEN REMEMBER HERE'S A MISSION YOU LITERALLY CAN'T SKIP OR IGNORE gently caress YOU

This might be the first time I've rage quit a game just because I found it so goddamn annoying that I couldn't deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

More bitching about xcom 2 - I feel like the art direction, particularly in unit design, is less coherent than in the first game. In Xcom 1 all the aliens looked like early 90s action figures, but in the second game I've already fought several aliens that don't look like they're from the same game. Even the weapons don't seem like they're from the same franchise.

Also I had my first mission with the boob snakes and while I don't take issue with their new appearance, the explanation that "the aliens no longer need infiltration units" falls flat when I just fought a shapeshifting infiltration unit not even 10 minutes ago in my first retaliation mission.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Gerblyn posted:

I remember playing Just Cause 2 and one of the first missions I did involved handing a nuclear reactor into the hands of terrorists, which also seemed fairly dubious.

Rarely are there games that reward you more for turning off your brain.

On another note, I'm a fan of the action/horror genre along the lines of FEAR, RE4, System Shock 2, etc. I went back and finally played Dead Space. It's fantastic, but two things were really bothering me in the first hour or so:

1. The completely unsubtle way that every audio log, journal, and message scrawled in blood on the wall tells you to shoot off the necromorph's limbs.

2. The sound design. In all the games I mentioned above, sound is a huge part of game play, both helping you keep track of what's hunting you and where, approximately, it's hiding, adding both tension and strategic depth to the game. In Dead Space, most of the "ambient" sounds meant to freak you out have nothing to do with the position or even existence of bad guys. It seriously feels like playing a normal horror game only with someone banging pots and pans together right behind you. It quickly goes from tense to annoying to just background noise.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Okay so I played Ocarina of Time for the... third? time in my life. Something that really bothers me about this game is how much of the combat is waiting around for your enemy to attack you so that you can attack them back. The werewolves are especially bad. There's nothing difficult about killing them, you just Z target, raise your shield and.... wait. You can't take the initiative because they can block you 100% of the time UNLESS they're in the middle of their attack animation. And you have to do this several times for every single one. It reminds me of playing Dark Souls with a shield, whereas the 2D Zeldas were more like playing Bloodborne in this bad analogy, since being aggressive is viable and rewarding.

Otherwise it still holds up.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

So I'm playing Valkyria Chronicles and while I'm enjoying it there are two things that are really bothering me.

First is the way that it really tries to sneak anime bullshit into the game. It starts as a fairly well realized anime version of not-World War II with cool 1935 style outfits and scenery but by the half way point any sense of stylistic legitimacy is lost and you're fighting ancient purple haired boob gods with giant arm lasers. I thought the premise, story, and art direction were interesting enough, why do you have to shoe horn the rest of this poo poo in? I wouldn't mind if it was right there on the box but it's not and it's really disappointing when it starts.

My other gripe is when Japanese developers take otherwise solid or even excellent tactics games and turn the entire idea of tactics as a fluid and complex expression of problem solving into a puzzle that has to be solved in an optimized fashion. It feels like loving math homework; on the harder missions there's usually only one strategy that will actually carry you to the end and on easier missions you're punished with reduced rewards for winning in a suboptimal fashion, like not thinking to chain command your best hero in an extremely specific way to finish in 6 turns instead of 7. They give you loving letter grades! It feels like Japanese developers have an intense fear of players experiencing a game in the "wrong" way.

Riatsala has a new favorite as of 21:30 on Oct 4, 2018

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Breath of the Wild's Master Mode feels half baked.

Some of the changes are good - I like the addition of floating sentry mobs and the increased stealth difficulty, but doing a full tier upgrade on mobs and giving everything regenerating health was duuuuumb. The timer on health regen is so short that mobs knocked away by weapon combos will heal a fair amount before you can get over to them to follow up. The vastly expanded health pools also mean that mobs often carry weapons that lack the power or durability to kill them, which makes it feel like beating someone to death with a succession of down pillows.

It takes combat from generally fun and worth it to basically never worth it - I've cleared out a total of 2 enemy camps in 50 hours and only because they were tied to side quests.

I wish they'd give the mobs big boy weapons and make the upgrades a half step rather than a full tier. That would make combat more deadly for everyone involved. Also would prefer they explore other avenues of increasing difficulty, like reducing or restricting healing effects from food or locking the HUD to pro mode or limiting fast travel.

Weirdly enough I don't mind that bosses regen health.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Lol, I don't know how people get into that situation, but it's not uncommon.

I generally have the opposite problem, trying to decide what weapons to take and putting too much emphasis on elemental weapons that I never use. What happens if my fireblade breaks?!? How will I melt something using only a fire rod, fire arrows, flint and steel, a torch, and two other fireblades??? Better drop the royal claymore.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

I tend to just use these threads depending on whether the ramblings are positive or negative.

And our forums experience is all the better for it :)

BioEnchanted posted:

When I first got my Wii U I got Xenoblade Chronicles X, and loved it's sidequests, but the main gameplay was grindy and repetitive and the main story was dull. X mainly annoyed me because I loved the alien characters and seeing their stories unfold, as you introduce the Ma Non to earth culture, intergalactic space nerds who focus so hard on engineering that as a species they never bothered coming up with cuisine or fashion. They just throw on whatever's in the cupboard, even if it's ill-fitting, get something to keep them going and bam, start building cool engines and poo poo.

Then they meet Humans and other aliens, and get really into earth food, with Pizza becoming so popular among them that they are pretty much 70% of the pizzeria's clientelle, to their chagrin because the Ma Non are obsessive engineers and so have many complaints if the olives aren't evenly distributed or if the pizza is slightly the wrong size by a 1/4 inch.

They end up unintentionally driving the pizza guys wife into a nervous breakdown. That's an amazing story, it's just a shame the main plot couldn't be that good.
An amusing thing is also that they do feel emotions like normal, but parse them differently - would getting pissed off at this other idiot Ma Non who did something that annoyed you help you build an engine? Then gently caress it, let it go, you may need his help later. As a result they have trouble understanding that humans can't compartmentalise that well.
They're my favourite alien race in anything.

If you don't do the sidequests, you don't get any of that, and you also miss out on 5 or 6 other races entirely. And a lot of those sidequests are overly difficult and frustrating given the tools you are granted.

This is actually a complaint I have about a lot of JRPGs, they put all the creative energy and characterization into the sidequests that you never see but when it comes time to write the main quest they either write the most generic plot possible or drop acid and go completely off the rails and either way it's stunningly boring.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Perestroika posted:

Man, I knew I'd signed on for a lot of dumb cutscenes when I got Valkyria Chronicles 4, but the way they're being presented is just obnoxious. Instead of just, you know, rolling the cutscene between missions, they're all chopped up into little individual vignettes that you have to select and watch each of them individually before being allowed to play the next mission. So basically after every mission you get a popup saying "Hey, there's a new story scene", you select that scene, get a confirmation dialogue asking whether you actually want to watch it, watch it, and then it's time for the next "Hey there's a new story scene" popup. That happens like five times between each actual gameplay missions, and it's just so much wasted time and empty calories that half the time I just find myself quitting out of the game after completing a mission.

This is a series staple and I'm not sure why it wasn't excised a long time ago

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Jumping into Dead Space for the first time and while this game is completely my poo poo the sound design is driving me up a wall

In most (good) horror games sound design plays an integral role in setting mood, raising tension, and conveying secondary gameplay information that can be useful (and terrifying) to the player. You might be trekking through a dark hallway and get the ambient sounds of water dripping or the wind outside. Then you might hear sounds layered on top that are directly related to threats, things like doors opening and closing or items getting shoved aside. Then you get the last layer, the sounds that come directly from whatever monster/alien/demon is stalking around the level, like breathing or snarling or an idling chainsaw. Combined these sounds not only set the tone for the game, they also offer clues to what might be hunting you, whether they're aware of your presence, and a vague sense of where they are, how quickly they're moving, and so on.

In Dead Space, necromorphs hide in the ventilation shafts and bang pots and pans together in a numbing cacophony. Then you walk into a room and something sort of scary happens and a loud dramatic stinger plays to make sure that you're startled, if not actually scared. It's sound design cribbed from bad horror movies, and I hate it.

I'm only 2 hours in and I'm glad the gameplay is otherwise really good because I'd have canned it by now and moved on. Hope they stop this bullshit because thus far it feel more like a haunted house than a horror game.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I got a free copy of The Division, and in a purely mechanical co-op tactical shooter sense I love it. I can even put aside the deeply troubling themes going totally unexamined because hey, it's a loving tom clancy game specifically made to appeal to right-wing totalitarian dipshits and keep them too occupied to stolen valor cosplay at the mall or shoot black teenagers and I consider that a public service really

But

BUUUUT

Why does the writing have to be so aggressively bad? Even for post-mortem Tom Clancy this is bad. I don't even get to listen to misused military acronyms or DANGER CLOSE OSCAR MIKE OOH RAH CoD chatter, it's just vague, melodramatic war movie dialogue like "I... I left too many good men behind and now we have to get back in the fight... to protect freedom *dramatic musical sting*" and most of the rest is some quirky NPC you'll literally never see again delivering a baby's first nihilistic monologue apropos of nothing to your mute, unblinking player character in an unskippable cutscene

and the rest is some hero cop on your side yelling YEAH SHOOT EM SHOOT THOSE LOWER CLASS DISASTER SURVIVORS IN THE FACE THEY'RE loving SCUM DON'T THINK JUST UNLOAD I'M SO CLOSE

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

The island is when it really ramps up to full on action movie punctuated by terrifying regenerator horror sequences, and in my opinion was an outstanding way to wrap up the game

However, the castle is and always will be the best part of RE4.

Man, that whole game is just loving outstanding. So many memorable set pieces strung together for 15 hours straight that it's hard to think of any bad parts for the sake of this thread. I guess the Matilda is a stupid unlockable weapon? Does that count? Also, I guess the fact that it tends towards giving you ammo for weapons you use more can mean that you never use the TMP for your first 5 playthoughs, like I didn't, or that you can end up with more rifle ammo than you want for the first half of the castle.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Len posted:

I went into the final boss fight with something like 30 rifle bullets and no spare handgun ammo. Yes I'm using the rifle a lot but that's because you won't give me bullets you bastard

Yeah, even if you don't use it much the default amount of rifle ammo you find in pre-ordained spots is more than enough for anyone with a healthy respect for the tactical disadvantages of staring down a scope in room full of angry ganados.

It really is the perfect game, though, or closer to it than any other game I've played.

It even has a reactive difficulty curve that basically no one noticed until years later, and I don't think any other game has done difficulty better.

Um... okay, so, I guess the TMP being the only weapon of its type, having it's own exclusive ammo and a lackluster exclusive upgrade was kind of lame.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I've been playing Wind Waker Randomizer, a mod of Wind Waker where all of the important items are randomly placed in chests across the game. Thankfully, it has an algorithm that sanity checks the distribution so every run is winnable, and also comes with a lot of options to exclude certain chest types from holding progress-essential items so the deku leaf isn't in random sunken chest #38 or poo poo like that unless you absolutely want it to be. It's been a ton of fun to play, zipping between islands and getting that little hit of lottery-like tension everytime you open a chest, no matter how mundane it was in the original game. When you do get a new item it becomes a puzzle to figure out what areas, and thus chests, are now accessible. Even better is that you sometimes get late game items early in the run, making certain areas much easier.

What's dragging it, and Wind Waker itself, down is the Temple of the Gods. This was always the weak point of the game. The entire first floor is flooded and the water rises and falls on a timer, so you end up waiting around for the water level to change over and over again in every single room. This combined with the squirrelly swimming controls means it's easy to over shoot a platform you wanted to stand on when the water drains, or to run into one of the million electric chu chus strewn throughout the dungeon. Every time you hit a chu chu you get electrocuted and thrown across the room, possibly off the platform you just carefully positioned yourself onto or right into a bottomless pit.

The rest of the dungeon is fine, but the boss fight against Guldon can be total aggravation. You have to use the bow to hit both hands a seemingly random number of times to knock them out, then hit both eyes twice, then throw a bomb into the mouth, rinse repeat for two more phases. The problem is that you're never gonna loving hit anything in first person mode, and the third person auto-aim rarely targets the thing you want to hit, and even with a clear shot the bow only hits what you're targeting another half of the time AND if the target goes more than like 20 feet away from you it kicks you into first person. Also, the hands will knock you out of the arena onto an electrified floor, where you have to go through the "being electrocuted" animation 2-3 times before you get back up, and it's totally possible to get swatted or blown back off the moment you get back into the center. Finally, you're unlikely to enter the battle with more than 30 arrows, so Guldon sneezes out 10 more every time you run out, but also reset the phase. So then you have to launch right back into hitting both hands and both eyes multiple times with a finicky auto aim with only those 10 arrows.

It really saps the energy and fun from every run, and I find myself clearing every chest I can outside of the Tower, hoping that I rolled a run where it's skippable.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The original Driver had a tutorial that most people failed, and thus never got to play the rest of the game. Your car is in an underground garage and you have one minute to fulfill a checklist of maneuvers. The game doesn't tell how to do any of these tasks, but it sure as poo poo expects you to perfect all them in 60 seconds. What on earth is a Slalom?

I was one of those 10 year olds who never got to play Driver besides the tutorial and the free drive mode. What a stupid goddamn decision to make the tutorial that's a pre-requisite to playing the game loving impossible for a new player

I don't know how the sequel was ever green-lit.

Riatsala has a new favorite as of 19:11 on Feb 13, 2019

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

Driver sold 3 million copies.

Oh right lmao

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

One of the worst parts of KH3 for me was the main trio interjecting inane non-contributions to every Disney movie conversation. It's like having a peanut gallery trio like the three gargoyles in Hunchback or the hyenas in the Lion King making stupid little non-jokes in the background of every. single. dialogue. You can so clearly see the seams between the Disney and KH3 writing in every world that it's distracting.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I'm kind of split about the almost complete lack of Final Fantasy characters in KH3. On the one hand it makes more room for terrible original KH characters but on the other hand, how many memorable Final Fantasy characters have debuted in the past 14 years?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I miss the heavily themed multi-hour dungeons of Zeldas past. I love BotW and the overworld is thematically varied to a jaw-dropping degree, but I miss the ice/forest/lava/shadow/tree dungeons we used to get. While the divine beasts and shrines are generally well designed, the personality of it gets worn thin over 5 beasts and 100+ shrines. I can think of maybe 1 divine beast and a half dozen shrines I'd ever want to play through again, compared to a good half of the dungeons in Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time, Link's Awakening, and LLTP, all of which I've gladly played through several times already.

Also, I see some potential in Hyrule Castle style dungeons that are connected to the open world and have multiple points of entry based on your skill or items you've obtained. It feels much more organic to tackle than any of the divine beasts.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

moosecow333 posted:

More shrines should have also broken the mold like, and just to be safe, the island that takes away all of your equipment

That one was really fun and really pushed you to think outside of the box.

OTOH, solving a shrine puzzle by dropping rock salt on a switch or connecting electric wires with metal weapons is immensely rewarding

Another thing dragging down BotW for me is the master mode sword trials. Nothing else in the game is nearly this difficult or punishing, and I think I'd actually enjoy it if I could save between floors, but carefully working up to the floor with the two silver lizalfos and losing because you ran out of weapons/arrows is so lame.

Master mode in general doesn't have much that makes it worthwhile. I think I enjoyed the floating platform mobs and the way it makes the first couple hours substantially more difficult, but other than that it feels like a low-effort hard mode.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

So Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is fantastic, but the second dungeon, the tree, isn't a great time.

Visually it's a beautiful black/white dendritic design with rainbow colors peeking in through the gaps, but it's also a plodding, non linear journey through brain-dead puzzles across rooms that, while beautiful, just aren't visually distinct from one another. It took me 2-3 hours hoofing back and forth through the dungeon and I still don't have a good mental map of where everything was located. Just generally confusing and not at all fun.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

I've been super hesitant to pull the trigger on WoL because I use so much third party stuff in KoL (stuff that speeds things up, qol improvements, etc) that I'm not sure I'd enjoy a kinda similar game without them.

It's not the most rational issue, I get it, but it's the truth.

It's really not similar at all in terms of moment to moment gameplay, just that they have the same writing and world. WoL is much faster paced and designed around being a single player RPG instead of a daily MMOish browser RPG

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Xcom 2 can just gently caress right off and never come back,guess who's been playing Xcom 2? (it's me,i am the one).
loving bradford won't shut up every loving time a civ dies even though i'm fighting a loving army here!

also the game making GBS threads on you for evacing out of a hostile zone even though you got what you need and did the absolute most common sense thing by avoiding unnecessary soldier deaths is loving stupid as poo poo.

If we're bitching about X-COM 2, I want to pile on

Why do I get like a million ways to customize a soldier, but only 10 characters for the nickname?

Why does every single loving thing that happens on the avenger or the overworld map have to bring my timer to complete loving halt to bring up 2 windows, an alarm, and a voiceline??? I also don't need the dramatic zoom to the avatar project, slow as gently caress animation, and bradford chastising me every one of the 100 times they get another blip completed across the entire campaign, either.

Also why is it when one of my soldiers barely grazes the general area of an enemy pod, they get to run 20 squares in the least convenient direction possible? I know you're not supposed to reveal new territory with your last guy, but it's immensely frustrating when your star medic accidentally spots a lancer's elbow 100 yards away through a tiny porthole window and then that lancer gets to double move 50 squares and stab crit him in the stomach.

The worst part of X-COM though are the relentlessly obnoxious fans who bleat "THAT'S X-COM" at the slightest criticism of the lovely design choices in this otherwise outstanding game.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Ok, so after bouncing off XCOM 2 for the third time I think I've just decided I don't like it. Part of it is I'm struggling to come up with ways where I feel like it improves on XCOM 1, or at least enemy within.

I don't think the proc gen maps are better than the XCOM 1 curated maps, and while they may prevent maps from getting old I'm not even playing XCOM 2 long enough for that to be a factor.

I don't think the move to a more self-serious tone works as well as the campier tone from 1.

The art style and unit design doesn't seem as cohesive or fun as from one. I miss the bright green and purple shaded 90s action figures from the first game. Now the enemies feel like a strange mix of XCOM 1 design and like... generic Marvel aliens and Warhammer tau all mixed together. It seems like they're scared to be truly silly for this one, and that makes me sad.

The timed missions are a great idea, but having them be 90% of the missions, even when it doesn't contextually make much sense, is a total drag.

I like the idea of the shift to a guerrilla style war against alien occupiers, but I think they really needed to shake up the gameplay a bit more to get this idea across.

I don't even like the new soldier classes very much. Gunslinger sharpshooter is great, but traditional snipers kinda blow with these tight mission timers. Sword rangers feel like a bad idea for most of the game. Hacker supports are okay, but your rewards for hacking are so often 23% chance of getting +3 sight for one turn or fail and everyone gets malaria.

And as I said like 2 pages back, holy poo poo do they like to interrupt whatever you're doing to tell you about stuff that's going on. I don't need popup windows and voiceover quips every time someone has an exceptionally large BM on the avenger.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Vermintide 2 is making just about the worst first impression possible

First start up it closes because it couldn't reach the game server

Second startup launches me into a terrible unskippable, unpauseable tutorial with crappy animations, and fullscreen from the launcher didn't stick so I couldn't see my healthbar or half the subtitles

Get it over with, get into first mission where I'm the last one over a barrier you can't retroactively access and get jumped by an assassin and killed while my teammates can only look on. Teammates don't rescue me later.

Next match I get to the last encounter when the host disconnects and the match ends with no experience, items, or progress made

Also, why is it in the year 2019 we still get dialogue where someone is interrupted mid-sentence but there's a 2-3 second pause before the person who interrupts them starts talking? I've seen maybe 3 video games get this right, so it's possible, but 99% of them can't pull it off.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Leal posted:

Why are the siege timers in Total Warhammer 2 so loving ridiculous? Even for smaller cities it'll take 6 turns before the defenders finally start suffering attrition and 12 turns before they finally surrender. I can hire a lord, give them a full set of 20 troops then slowboat it from one corner of the map to the other before any sieges finally surrender.

E: Hell I'd be happy if the attrition timer started way faster. Like 3 turns.

The only players who use siege timers are the bots and the bots blow. If you can't beat them with the forces you have, they'll just sally out and kick your rear end. If you can, you're just wasting upkeep on an army to have it stand around, and risk other armies coming and kicking you out. Even if you think you'll take high casualties, it's usually less expensive in terms of time and money to take the blow and re-train/recruit back to full strength.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I have little to add but I strongly agree on all points. While certain factions in the game are more fun than others to play on the strategic map (Vampire Coast, Tomb Kings, Skaven) the strategic mechanics has always been a bit poo poo at their core.

I would also say that the AI in Warhammer 2 is obnoxiously good at calculating exactly how far they'd get in different stances and can always juggle them in exactly the right way to catch or escape you unless you have a looooot of buffs to campaign movement speed.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I recently replayed TOMBA 2: The Evil Swine Return, a PSX era adventure platformer with a sort of cult popularity status.

While it's still the delightful, colorful, expressive game that I've loved since I was 9, holy poo poo is the voice acting bad. Bad audio quality, bad delivery, brain dead kid-friendly writing, terrible pacing, and everyone's trying to do their take on exaggerated cartoon voices. Add in that the dialogue music is incredibly intrusive, bad, and repetitive and it makes every single conversation some degree of painful.

This is an NPC in the first area. Keep in mind this still isn't as bad as it gets, it's just the baseline of awful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EcN8jce-oQ&t=354s

Edit: Also the minecart minigame is loving impossible

Riatsala has a new favorite as of 14:37 on Mar 22, 2019

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Evilreaver posted:

I'd like to see a game where boss fights boil down to endurance matches between you and the boss. Too often the boss gets stronger (more abilities, more speed, more damage, etc) with each phase, while you get weaker (spending potions/ammo, losing buffs, putting abilities on cooldown) as the fight progresses.

I'd like to see a game where both you and the boss have to spend down what you have as the fight goes on, with game mechanics properly structuring the fight so that you know once the boss fires ability X, it's on cooldown; or when you rip his arm off he can't block from that side anymore, etc. Ideally the rest of the game's enemies are in a similar position: like dark souls where each enemy is dangerous until you learn it.

Probably a nightmare to balance but I think it would be pretty sweet. Mechs might be a good medium, allowing you to have shields as a mainstay, lose limbs, have missile racks to magdump and reload, coolant to manage...

FTL sorta did a good job at this, where all the systems for you and your opponents work in the same way and they suffer the same degradation and are vulnerable to the same dangers as you (loss of oxygen, fire, shields going down, etc). The sad part is that the final boss still has ultimate gently caress you techniques where it summons a poo poo load of drones or a super shield regardless of the state of it's drone core or shield status, and could run on AI if all its crew died.

Come to think, I'd like to just throw in that FTL's final boss is dragging down the game. The rest of it is excellent, but the final boss has a lot of poo poo that operates outside of the normal mechanics of the game and while there are dozens of valid strategies for surviving the rest of the game and getting to the boss, only a handful actually work against it.

I like your idea a lot, though.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I'm playing Mutant Year Zero and enjoying the hell out of it. It really scratches the XCOM-style tactical itch while being it's own thing that I think I enjoy more than XCOM at the moment.

However, I'm a little disappointed that scaling enemy difficulty basically means giving enemies more health. It happens quickly, and there's not anything to distinguish a level 5 bad guy from a level 10 bad guy other than the fact that the level 10 badguy has twice as much health. This becomes a bit of a problem because your weapons don't really scale up in the same way, and while there's a neat ambush mechanic where you can pick off isolated goons without alerting the main horde, it gets difficult to put out enough damage to kill them in a single turn with the limited and progressively less useful stealth weapons available.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

So in regards to Dying Light, maybe whoever decided to open the game with an extended first person cutscene with a poo poo load of shaky cam and drunken sway should be barred from making video games for a few years because that poo poo is nauseating

It wasn't fun in Far Cry 2, it's not fun now.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Alhazred posted:

The "what if the suburbs hid a dark secret" plotline is painfully overdone.

The best part is there's another suburb with a dark secret in the same loving game

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Exploding Zombies in Dying Light are really not my jam. Physically, they cast a similar if not identical silhouette to other, normal zombies. They don't stand out when you're beating your way through a horde, but if you so much as tap one they'll immediately explode and kill you from full health, which is especially annoying because you lose experience every time you die. In such a melee focused game deliberately designed to be visually confusing, this is a real bummer.

Compare to the exploding Boomer from Left 4 Dead, which is very obviously much bigger than normal zombies, and upon exploding covers your screen in bile and summons a bunch of normal zombies to come attack you. That has a nice sense of risk, consequence, and counter-play in an easy to identify package, whereas DL exploders simply punish your failure to pay attention with instant death and loss of experience. That's lame, and it's dragging down a game I otherwise love (mechanically, at least; the story is still awful)

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

So the hacking minigame in the 3D Fallouts is kinda dumb, but putting that aside, it irritates me that the "easy" difficulty hacks are the hardest ones for me (and by that I mean most time consuming, they're still almost trivially easy to spam)

If you're not familiar with the minigame, in order to hack a locked computer in fallout you have to find the correct password from a list in so many tries. Every time you choose a wrong passcode, it will tell you how many of the letters in the word you selected were correct. For instance, if you chose WATER and the correct password was WAFER, it would return 4. This helps you to narrow down the correct password.

As the difficulty of a hack increases, the choice of passcodes to choose from become longer and more similar to one another and, conversely, the easier hacks have words that are shorter and less similar. While this does make the 2nd highest hack level easier than the highest, and the 3rd highest easier still, the lowest level are all 4 letter words that aren't similar at all. The effect is that most of the time when you select a word in an easy hack, it'll have zero letters in common with the correct passcode because every goddamn choice has nothing in common with any of the other words. Contrast to the highest level with 7 letter words that might have 4 or 5 letters in common. Therefore the hardest hacks might be a lot of work to figure out, but at least you have something to work with.

Granted there's literally no consequence to running out of tries in Fallout 4, so I can just jump in, guess 4 times at random, fail, wait 10 seconds and trying again, but it's still counter intuitive.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I hate that to this day I don't know how much was left out of V as a way of playing on the phantom pain theme and how much of it is just unfinished game. I mean, using Keifer Sunderaland instead of Hayter was obviously intentional and I wish they had chosen a voice actor who had more than half an hour available to record but how much of the completely empty feeling I had upon completing the game was intentional?

I guess the things dragging down V are the incredibly empty character that is Punished Snake, a thinner, less interesting story stretched across three times as much gameplay as a typical MGS, the vast amount of information and character development relegated to audio tapes, the incredible wet fart of an ending, and the impossibility of having a well paced game in an open world sandbox. I also don't like how much time I spend loving around in menus or waiting for my helicopter to take me somewhere. I forgive it because in the moment to moment game play it's the best, most engaging stealth game I've played but unlike every other MGS I've never had any compulsion to replay it.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Nuebot posted:

What drags Bloodstained down for me is that mobility just feels really lame?

If I could change one thing about the game, it would be to raise the base movement speed by about 20%. It even looks too slow for your running animation.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Been playing Templar Battleforce. This is more a general trope but if you make a tactics or roleplaying game and your very first baby attack with a narrow twig deals 150 damage then the damage scaling in your game blows.

My tiny squirrel brain categorizes any number north of 80 as "conceptually abstract " and "bullshit" so triple digit numbers should really be minimized in games that aren't spreadsheet simulators

Honorable mentions to Paper Mario TTYD, X-Com, and Mechanicus.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Upgrades aside, I do agree that the base movement speed is a little slow. It even looks like you're not quite keeping up with the running animation, like the floors are slippery or something.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Casey Finnigan posted:

I dunno, I played every Castlevania game since SotN except Circle of the Moon and I thought Bloodstained was better than most, if not all of them. I'm actually torn as to whether Bloodstained or SotN is better.

Agreed. SotN is the only one on the same level. It's an improvement over all the DS/GBA titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Coming in late to say that Golden Sun had a great soundtrack for a GBA game.