Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Has anyone played GhostControl Inc.? It looks like a Ghostbusters game in an XCOM style.

But is it any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm playing Smooth Operators right now and it's really annoying how this company has apparently never heard of stairs.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Wait, they turned PvZ into a 3rd person shooter? :psyduck:

I knew EA was out of touch but really?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yup. Scroll up and look at the guy's post about bypassing the lovely, non-functional DRM.

Edit: What's the best way to play Tropico 4, anyways? Campaign, or just sandbox?

Campaign. Tropico 4 is like really, really easy and the campaign actually has limitations/conditions that make the game more interesting/challenging.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Werner-Boogle posted:

I can't find a "recommend me a game" thread so I'm gonna ask here instead.

I'm looking for a very specific sort of game. I work a nighttime surveyliance kind of job, so I have a lot of downtime with my laptop. I'm looking for a game I can play with just my laptop mouse pad and keyboard, that I can put down at a seconds notice if I have to, and it needs to be enjoyable even without sound.

So far I've been playing Civ V but I'm getting sorta tired of it. All suggestions from all genres are welcome.

This is from a few pages back, but as a fellow night shift security dude, here are the games I play on my laptop:

Turn based games:
Civ 5
XCOM + Enemy Within (once you finish the regular game, I highly recommend the Long War mod)
Blood Bowl (Chaos edition is the latest)

Real time but pausable, with time controls:
Crusader Kings 2
Kerbal Space Program
Sims 3
Prison Architect

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Awesome! posted:

what the hell just happened? i started up civ 5 and now somehow it's 5 hours later :stare:

You poor fool. I hope you don't have a job/wife/kids/dog/responsibilities

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Last I heard the CK2 tutorial is broken now and not worth trying. Use the LP to learn the game, or do what I did and just jump in with a King-level character and learn as you go along! if you hover your mouse over stuff there are tooltips for almost everything.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Darkrenown posted:

Ahaha:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/234060/
Due to Hitler being assassinated by US agents in 1942, Germany decides not to invade Russia, instead invading the USA. Please ignore the fact that Germany invaded Russia in 1941, and that they have no navy capably of moving or supplying troops to the US, let along fighting the USN :ssh:

Maybe Japan sunk the carriers instead of attacking Pearl Harbour, and Midway was a Japanese Victory :colbert:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

PostNouveau posted:

The ship combat stuff was the best part of AC3, and I assume the makers saw how awesome that was and decided to go pirate with AC4 purely because of it.

I haven't played AC4 yet, gonna wait till it's cheap. Somebody tell me it's got pretty much the same ship combat stuff as AC3. Honestly, that stuff demands its own game. I'm surprised there's not already a game where you captain a ship for the Queen's Navy and fight bucanneers.

This post just reminds me that they have never made a sequel to Sid Meier's Pirates!

I guess that's basically what AC4 is, but still.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Cable posted:

So is Prison Architect anything like Theme Hospital? If so, I'm in

Less random wacky hijinks and babysitting of your staff, but the management themes are there.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

What's Legions of Ashworld like? Is it any good?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Max Payne was good
Max Payne 2 was great
Max Payne 3 is like 30 gigs and I don't really wanna deal with that

This is the max payne thread right?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Saoshyant posted:

God, has this forum gone completely to poo poo. It's YCS and absurdly proud of it for some reason.

Nah, when we start seeing casual racism again we can call this YCS

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Are the ports that bad? I remember playing them on console with a friend coop and it wasn't too bad.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Moryrie posted:

How hard is Crusader Kings to get into if you just kinda start playing it? I'm thinking of installing since it's free at the moment, but I'm a bit apprehensive because of how hard everyone says it is, and I really hate watching youtube tutorials because the people doing them always have these horrible obnoxious voices.

I never understand people who say that game is hard to understand. EVERYTHING has a tooltip. And it's not like there is magical resources like aether or glibglorbs that aren't intuitive. Prestige and piety are pretty self explanatory.

The hardest thing you might need to understand is succession laws but you can easily change that to the one everyone is familiar with (oldest child inherits everything)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Somebody make a modern Evil Genius rip off already.

If you just want to manage dudes and build stuff Prison Architect is probably the best game of that type right now. And it's still on sale apparently

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 8, 2014

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Taken, thanks!

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 10, 2014

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The only memorable thing I remember about DA:O is when some mage flips out and he used blood magic to seize control of people and escape. I then immediately regretted my decision to become a generic lightning bolt/fireball mage and it was too late to do anything about it.

And also there was a talking DLC advertisement at my camp.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Payday is free free today right? I can 'claim' it now and download and play it later on like they did with Sniper Elite v2?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

CJacobs posted:

Please do not install video games on a solid state drive.

Why? Is there a technical reason or is it just the principle of it

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I remember buying Ghost Master for like a dollar several halloweens ago. I ended up playing 10 hours of it. Not bad.

It is very much a puzzle game though.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It doesn't autoplay for me?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Accordion Man posted:

Fallout 3 is a good game, but yeah, the only thing it has over New Vegas is the atmosphere. New Vegas really just wasn't fun to explore like 3 was.

Yeah for Fallout 4 I hope they can somehow reconcile the exploration/atmosphere of Fallout 3 with the structure/storytelling of NV. I enjoyed NV for its quests and characters but exploring the Capitol Wasteland without a leash or walls is probably one of my favorite gaming experiences in recent memory.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Tezzeract posted:

When L4D2 came out, it was the best thing on Steam. I really don't know what happened to it.

The L4D community happened to it. I haven't played such a great game that was ruined by such a toxic multiplayer community since DOTA. L4D's is arguably worse because you can at least still try to learn the ropes in 3v5 games and not get votekicked at every chance.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

MonkeyforaHead posted:

So apparently Nimble Quest is on sale for 50 cents but there's no discount in the Canadian store whatsoever. :gaben:

It WAS on sale for Canadians too a week or two ago since I bought it for 54 cents canadian

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Banished is $10. How is it?

It's a pretty solid town builder. Some stuff is kind of unintuitive; like villagers won't have kids unless they have their own house kind of thing. But other than it's pretty solid, runs smoothly even with thousands of villagers. I believe steam workshop support was added in a few months ago which I haven't gotten around to trying yet.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The Iron Rose posted:

This is bad move since long war is ludicrously tough

Yeah don't play LW right away. The base game is good enough experience and if you play on normal it's fun without being super frustrating. You will also appreciate what LW improves upon

Long War is basically this http://i.imgur.com/2SggXw1.gifv

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I have like 250 hours in Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery.

2070 is still a good game, but 1404 grabbed me more for whatever reason.

It was the setting for me. Building up a colonial town/settlement is way more interesting to me than futuristic space treehugger or whatever.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Nobody has ever said these things.

They did, and considering Starcraft used to look like this

They were right

Meow Tse-tung posted:

"Starcraft is just warcraft in space" was such a common thing before launch that they put it into the game as one of the jokes. I don't think I ever heard anyone making empassioned arguments that diablo was better than d2 though. Like, ever. Everywhere I posted on the internet thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.

People complained Diablo 2 was too bright and wanted the game to be darker grittier and more like a horror game. A lot of them brought up the first encounter with the butcher to be a real terrifying experience compared to the 'bright' Diablo 2.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Has anyone played Battleplan: American Civil War?

Looks like a more simplified Sid Meier's Gettysburg!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm enjoying creeper world 3, or rather I was, until the mission where they give you two command centers and basically force you to fight a two front war while also introducing a new game mechanic. Kind of frustrating.

I hope there aren't a lot more missions like this were I have to give equal amounts of attention to different parts of the map simultaneously

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Grabbed. Thanks

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Grabbed this, thanks!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I think you hit the nail on the head there. FO3 always felt like it had way more random encounters, and checking the wiki, it actually does by a lot:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_random_encounters FO3

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_random_encounters NV

Watching a vertibird fly in and drop off enclave soldiers in the distance or coming across slavers makes the game feel way more alive and fun to explore than 'go to this location for the next quest'

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 15, 2014

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

oops double post

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ddraig posted:

If you want to be truly depressed try listening to the commentary for the Half-Life games sometime. They're basically full of 'Well, we had a much more elaborate setup here, but playtesters got confused so we made it more streamlined'

My favorite is the tester who got stuck in a level by continuously turning left, over and over again, basically running around in a circle for thirty minutes

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Tezzeract posted:

Holy crap, you can kill a cat in GTA 5. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx4KAUQKFgY
This video looks amazing and sounds terrible. Seriously though, looks almost like they rebuilt the game from the ground up in FP mode. Hope the melee fighting isn't awkward though.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The only time I like using a controller is for driving games (or driving in games). You really need that analog control to make those fine touches to turning. Unless you're playing something like Sleeping dogs or Saints Row where the cars don't even really behave like cars anyway.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Claimed. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Any of the DLC for Company of Heroes 2 worth getting?

• Locked thread