Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Ddraig posted:

Yeah, it's nice of them. I'm a bit of a grognard so I'm playing through the first time completely blind and rolling with the punches and only reloading on a total party wipe, but it's nice they included that for future playthroughs.

Same here. I've only stopped to check outside sources for additional information when it is clear I am missing something obvious and can't progress because of it. (Like the fact that if I want to travel further into ruined Highpool, I have to follow the barely visible road between the two burning cars.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

nftyw posted:

:raise:

e: $24? drat, prices have shot right up.

It is one of those magical 3 1/2 inch kind of 5 1/4 floppies. That makes it more rare and increases the value.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Shoefish posted:

Is there any way of getting rid of the old radiation suit's once you have the +4 version? They're just sitting in my inventory taking up space and i can't sell or drop them. Is this a bug?

Put them in your Ranger Citadel storage locker.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Turin Turambar posted:

If you had the specific option of tell him to wait and don't leave, and somehow he disappeared, that sounds like a bug, not a "bad recruitment system". Maybe it's just a bug in the effect of that dialog.

The bug seems to be related to something remarkably stupid. Chisel walks up to you and initiates a dialog. If, at any point, prior to this, you as the player clicked on HIM to start a dialog (as one would typically do when presented with an NPC with a picture and a dialog bubble over their head when you mouse over them) -- or if you click on him and then he starts talking, one conversation tree will interrupt the other.

So say you want to let him into your party. You choose the affirmative option, go to remove someone to make room for him, and then the conversation tree suddenly closes before you can finish. This closes the current conversation tree, as well as the new conversation tree, and he leaves -- as if you had rejected his proposal.

He doesn't go to the Ranger Citadel, he doesn't go back to his home (although the flavor text describing him as being home will still trigger if you go back there), and nothing short of reloading the game will bring him back.

At this point, I'm digging around to see if anyone has posted a quick fix that will just let me trigger his spawner in the Ranger Citadel because I'm too far beyond that point in the game to justify replaying it all for a mediocre NPC companion.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Verviticus posted:

have you talked to the dude in the mess hall? i had chisel vanish randomly and then told that guy he wanted to join. turns out chisel pisses around in the museum rather than the mess hall because, like everything else about his character, hes stupid and bad

ralphy is the one that bugged out for me. i said he could be a ranger and he ran off and disappeared forever

Yes. I talked to him when I collected the reward for Ralph and Scotch.

I can also verify that he does not spawn in the Museum. He simply ceased to exist.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

A MIRACLE posted:

Lol you're supposed to turn those toaster items into the museum guide for uniques, not sell them for scrap

No, you don't, and you can't even if you wanted to. But so far it seems to be that every single one of the 'non junk' items does indeed have someone out there in the world to discover who can use it.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Pwnstar posted:

I like how its better not to give Quarex what he wants and to give it to the Rangers instead. I guess they figured he wouldn't be screwed over enough already by people murdering him for his prized possession.

I figured that he would just commit suicide after the crushing disappointment that his quest item will undoubtedly bring him, and that I would be able to just go back and loot his stuff after that happened. Color me surprised when that did not occur. He must not have any media for it.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

AxeManiac posted:

Shotguns are horseshit. I always send Scotchmo off to the corner while the grown ups fight.

The only two people I have shotguns on are my melee guy and my sniper. They are purely to serve as a backup if either character suddenly finds themselves swarmed by too many enemies and need to cheaply damage the lot of them before backing off.

I'd never use one as a primary weapon.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Yeah, my mouse hovered over the peaceful solution to that scenario for about a tenth of a second before I went straight for the bloodbath. Screw that guy.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Hey Chief posted:

Anybody care to help out a doofus? I backed this game but I can't figure out how to get it. Which backer update would I have gotten my Ranger Central password or w/e from?

None of them. You go to the Ranger Center and register a new account with the e-mail you used with the Kickstarter account that you backed the game with.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

(c'mon game, if I click on a land mine you know drat well I mean to disarm it, don't make me hunt down demo-dude and click five times)

Why are you clicking five times? I always have my demolitions character as my pointman and I have the skill in hotkey 1. Right click to move, mines appear. Press 1, click mine. Or are you referring to the fact that you have to repeat this action for every mine in the field?

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

AlternateAccount posted:

Just throw in a grenade or two, done.

Or the tried and true, shoot at thing on other side of minefield, then run away. I had at least two get cleared by very surprised wolves and toads.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Lotish posted:

I recruited Ralphy after most of my guys were level 17, so I hacked him the xp to catch up with rest and went along with the recommendation of maxing his brawl. I happened to have a book for a free level of brawl, too, so I got him to 10, and holy poo poo that kid is hilariously brutal. I gave him the Red Ryder and some explosives for when he can't get a punch in, but he's just blowing people up Hokuto no Ken style.

The first thing that Ralphy did after I agreed to accept him into my party was to punch a wolf in the head and make it explode. I've been sold on him ever since.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

Just started my first game - is there a decent walkthrough out yet?

I'm in the Ag center and I can't figure out how to uninfect my dudes from pod jizz and I just got a gun called Herbicide but it doesn't knock down the big plant growths that block off areas and dynamite and pipe bombs didn't do poo poo either. Hopefully they didn't bug the first quest in the game but the guy in the wheelchair got cured.

1) Finish the quest to uninfect yourself.
2) The gun is an energy weapon. Save it for things that are vulnerable to energy weapons (not plants).

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Verviticus posted:

hollywood, at the least, is just garbage from top to bottom

So the war and the decades following the war really haven't changed it much.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

One thing I want to know is who keeps feeding grenades to all the giant mutant toads? I've looted at least 5 of them from those bastards so far.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Arnold of Soissons posted:

How many followers can you have?

Three in your party at a time.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Quarex posted:

Uncharacteristic-from-me "This Game Is Great" Counterargument: I never would have imagined I might not have my collector's edition swag in time for Christmas :(

Also I live in constant terror of the box showing up at my doorstep the day after I leave for a week and a half for Christmas break. I wonder which shipping service they are using, and whether there is a way to be like OH GOD PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE THE BOX (I know you can do that with the Post Office obviously)?

Lots of post offices are starting to do a thing where you can rent a PO Box, and then provide a signature card for them to keep on file. Then you use their physical address with the PO Box as the unit number. Delivery goes through because the address is not a PO Box, office scans the card if it needs a signature, and then shoves it in a storage locker until you can come get it.

Hell, my branch even e-mails me when something arrives so I don't need to waste a trip if the box is empty.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

My Collecter's Edition box showed up in today's mail. Did not disappoint.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

AxeManiac posted:

Dragon Age Inquisition is really good and I only played like 2 hours of the previous ones, but I'm probably going to %100 this one. I spent hours walking around collecting things and making armor and trying to sleep with people. It's fun.

I keep hearing this. I look forward to them eventually releasing a fully patched GOTY edition with all DLC bundled in it for $15, so I can check it out.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Xander77 posted:

The Elder Scrolls style (which I prefer to think of as the Quest for Glory) style, when properly implemented, means you don't have to invest in preknowledge.

In Wasteland 2, for instance, if you thought that making a thief character meant emphasizing Alarms, that's a bunch of points wasted. And on the other hand, if you decided that Rose can handle all your Computer needs... well, hope your team has a bunch of spare points when you get to the end game, otherwise you better reload a save from before you went to the citadel!

Or you can just open up the file with your character records and change it if you realize you spent your points the 'wrong' way and don't want to reload/restart. You don't even need a fancy third party editor to do it. I had a lot of fun with this after the fact, just going back and exploring options I couldn't otherwise utilize because my skill-set didn't support them.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Genpei Turtle posted:

Hey, you're just a hop, skip, and jump from what's quite possibly the very first Annoying Sewer Level ever!

But, ehhh, I kinda sorta have lukewarm feelings about this one, despite being the biggest first-person dungeon crawler fan on the planet. The Bard's Tale was really not that great overall. The first one was pretty good, and it had a lot of things that were kind of revolutionary at the time--having a big overworld city to explore (and you can go into EVERY HOUSE!) instead of just being relegated to dungeons, the schools of magic, and character classes having unique abilities.

But then the second and third games were just bad--BT2 was OK up until about town 4, and the Death Snare concept was pretty rad, but then dungeons took a turn for the super bullshit (vast dark, anti-magic zones with teleporters and spinners ahoy!) and fights just turned into battles against hordes of damage sponges. Anything that was not a caster was relegated to meat shield. Bard's Tale 3 was even worse--I liked it but I can't deny that really the game was just bad. It took that crappy second half to Bard's Tale 2 and made it the whole game.

I enjoyed 3, but 2 was hot garbage. "Say to me the value of rote actions" my rear end.

The only thing I can't figure out, is why revisit this title? Nostalgia aside, I don't really see anywhere for the story to go. May as well just make a sequel to Dragon Wars, instead.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

I now know what the red button did. I wish I didn't know what the red button did.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Rinkles posted:

It's one of those games where resetting after around the 2 hour mark is common because you built your party poorly or didn't understand a game mechanic. No, I don't consider this a good thing.

Something it has in common with the original Wasteland.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Lotish posted:

My advice for perks is to get the ones that give you stuff for opening containers. The demo perk that gives you free bombs, in particular. I am drowning in so many explosives.

This one was easily my favorite. So many problems in this game can be solved with explosives.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

NESguerilla posted:

How do you guys even have rocket launchers at this point in the game?

You can buy them at Ranger Citadel. Collect poop, give to explosives guy, buy heavy ordnance.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I don't get it :(

It will make sense to you once Christmas gets here.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

NESguerilla posted:

I can't tell if this diplomacy thing with the achinsons and choppers is just trolling me at this point. It's tedious as hell running back and forth I think I might just kill all of them.

This is easily the worst part of the game. On subsequent playthroughs I always left one guy near the entrance/exit of the zone so I could cut down on the travel time after each step, but even with that I found my patience worn thin. It just smacks of artificial padding after the fourth trip, and I was glad when people started to create mods to speed up the travel time. I only hope those mods get re-configured for use in the DC, soon.

crashdome posted:

My question was more directed at perception distance and who uses it and not so much on how to use it. I forgot about the circle thing so maybe turning that on will give me my answer visually.

For example, you put perception on a low HP character with many other skills and he is running in the back of the pack... since skills are now potentially "party wide" does the guy in front who doesn't have perception (and is closer to the mine) see it sooner? Or could he potentially walk over a mine because the guy in back hasn't moved close enough to detect it yet?

That was my question.

Yes. Once the 'perception guy' has the circle around him, anyone and anything outside of that circle remains invisible. If one of your characters strays outside the circle, he can hit landmines that have yet to be discovered (though he can just as easily hit landmines that have been discovered because there is no mechanic to force a pause when a discovery like that is made).

EricFate fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 21, 2015

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I just got Zax at the abandoned railyard, I used Computer Science to get him to max power, and HOLY poo poo he just one-shotted TWO slicer-dicers. :O

Yep. You have to re-hack him at the start of each battle if you want him to be overclocked -- but man, is it worth it.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

jfood posted:

Inconclusion, Rose is a shitlord who deserved to become a pod person and that other fucknut really belongs in his cage.

Yep. They make it real easy to choose to save Highpool in future campaigns.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Haroshia posted:

All this Rose hate. I don't get it. She is without a doubt the best follower in terms of stats. In most situations she's the voice of logic and reason. Is it just because of the final parts of the endgame THAT SHE HAD NO CONTROL OVER? You all are jerks. :colbert:

You should save the Ag Center with a team who can reliably disarm and break into things. You'll find some interesting reading in her private office.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Pvt.Scott posted:

So honey badgers apparently have anti-tank claws as they seems to have AP of at least 7. Almost lost Robocop. Who the gently caress thought 25+ raw damage per hit and insane armor penetration was a good idea?

They certainly did a good job of making me fear those little bastards whenever I run across them. Having the 'Big Game Hunter' perk on the sniper and at least one Assault Rifle character helped, as well as the perk which made my explosives expert have a bigger AoE. I just bunch up the party a ways back, lure them into charging at me with my ranged shooters, and then hurl grenades into the pack until they close to melee range. After that, the attack speed for my brawler and my stabby-guy make short work of them.

Anyone know which specific events trigger an always hostile Danforth in the Prison area? I paid off his man this time around so he'd leave that Ranger's sister alone, so I don't think that was the issue. I may have set him off by sending a robot on a suicide mission into his turrets, but I noticed a couple other things were off this run. Jim Auwerter was missing, and Brown's pigs were already dead. This leads me to believe I triggered a new flag somewhere.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

S.T.C.A. posted:

I killed literally every RSM I saw outside of the prison (including Pitbull, the guy you paid off) and was still able to go the peaceful route once Jobe poisoned his dogs and I cured them all though I also went in with 7+ Smart rear end.

Is he hostile to you on sight, or what?

Yeah. Can't even get a conversation bubble. Then Vax vaporizes him.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

EricFate posted:

Yeah. Can't even get a conversation bubble. Then Vax vaporizes him.

So apparently the issue was, I talked to Jobe first. For some reason this prevented the loudspeaker near the gate from working, and removed any chance for dialogue.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

S.T.C.A. posted:

If you keep Lex until the final fight, can you hack him back after Cochise takes him over, or does hacking not work on synths? Kind of wish I didn't spoil that part for myself.

I've never thought to try that. I'll test it since I'm close to that part on my current playthrough. I suspect no.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

NESguerilla posted:

The whole Monk subplot was a mess.

First time through, I did their bidding and they still managed to blow up my gorilla costume by accident.

Second time through, the only dialogue I ever engaged them in came in the form of sniper bullets.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

nerdz posted:

I like how people talk about this game like it was a midterm assignment. I'm also getting back to it trying to finally get it done.

It doesn't lend itself well to causal play. Every time I want to advance the plot, I have to set aside a weekend for it ... which is harder to convince myself now that I've already finished it once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Well, that's all set, then.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread