Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

It looks weird. But I think it looks weird in a good way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Deakul posted:

I don't know, I could've sworn it was Alan.
Maybe I'm just dumb and trying to find a reason why AVClub has been so crap for about a year now.

Their movies guys went to dissolve. I never really thought AVClub's tv coverage was all that though, so it seems the same to me.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Vitamin P posted:

The Punisher is trash and the MAX series was an ongoing punchline that turned south after a couple of episodes. The MCU will never do the Punisher because there's literally nothing to do, the character is fedora reddit pulp that got far too much attention because ITS NOT YOUR DADDYS SPIDERMAN. The Punisher doesn't just not fit the MCU, he doesn't fit anything, because the Punisher is a trash character.

This is just wrong. The Punisher is pretty fantastic and could work in the MCU.

Like, as a character Punisher role seems like he should be the straight man to the marvel universe's ridiculousness. He has no super powers, is "gritty", etc. But nope, he is actually one of the most over the top things in the Marvel universe. The guy actually weaponizes "ridiculousness" and basically has the super power of turning everything into an action set piece. The Marvel universe is already this crazy scary place but somehow Frank Castle always just makes things even crazier as a byproduct of trying to kill some mooks. Its hilarious.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think Punisher would work best as a wildcard that occasionally shows up in the different tv series. Keep him in the shadows a bit in the beginning, mostly hear about him through conversations between criminals or have the heroes come across the aftermaths of one of his rampages.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Vitamin P posted:

Not really, the best comic characters have a classic, thematically repeatable story. The X men fly to mutant trouble then fly back to the mansion. Batman investigates strange events then punches something. Superman batters an alien/earthquake and plays with Lois and Jimmy. Spiderman fights a baddy and gets home to domesticity.

Punisher doesn't have a story except 'shoots some drug dealing poors'. It's the same reason Wonder Woman can't carry a film, just with extra problematic.

but... your Punisher and Batman example are basically the same. Punisher typically goes through the same investigation/tracking stuff as Batman, he just shoots people at the end. And really the "poors" thing can be applied to Batman as well.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Except it really doesn't, Batman is often more "problematic" because his massive amount of wealth.

edit: And "he has a better rogues gallery" doesn't make the character better. Just the rogue's gallery.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 12, 2015

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Petr posted:

Finished the season. I'm still not happy with Fisk. It's like (probably 1x08 or thereabouts) he went from scared 11-year-old to criminal mastermind somehow without the show telling us how. That's fine, except he also somehow did that while staying a scared 11-year-old inside. THAT needs some explanation. It doesn't really make sense happening offscreen.

He was always a criminal mastermind and a scared little boy. The arc is him getting confidence from Vennsea to come out of the shadows and realizing he was deluding himself.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Gyges posted:

Speculation on the other series but with a bit of Daredevil episode 12 spoilers

They could bring him back and use him in the other series. It depends on when they're set. For instance what if all four series happen around the same time so over the few months that Daredevil played out Jessica Jones and Luke Cage are doing their thing and run into Ven along the way. Iron Fist seems like it's going to happen after Daredevil though since all the references to his stuff, at least to me, made it seem like the selection hadn't happened yet.

I was really hoping Ben would survive because I was curious to see this version of him possibly interact with Spider-man with that whole Sony deal thing. :(

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

mr.capps posted:

He was always a criminal mastermind and a scared little boy. The arc is him getting confidence from Vennsea to come out of the shadows and realizing he was deluding himself.

More about Fisk: To clarify, he already has confidence in the beginning of the show, in his plans and will. Just not confidence in his own image.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Robutt posted:

Well apparently liking one TV character and disliking another makes me a crazy sociopath. Good to know.

shine on you crazy diamond

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Eh, I don't see Pulse working on TV.

But yeah, Ben's death was tough. He is one of my favorite characters in the comics and I really loved this interpretation of him.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ChickenMedium posted:

I hope someday superhero show/movie writers will realize that finding out that your best friend has a secret life as a superpowered superhero is a completely awesome thing to happen and no one should get lovely about it.

This was one of the best parts of Ultimate Spider-Man (the comic not the cartoon)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
They still kinda have a newspaper character, with Ben's boss. I doubt they will use him, but I guess the option is there.

Though nobody can replace Ben

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think the most important thing season 2 can focus on though is Stilt Man

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

PaybackJack posted:

It just felt off within the context of a show that did a really good job of not getting too comic book-y. I totally get that for branding, marketing, etc. they should call him Daredevil, but within the show itself it sounds outlandish despite there being other characters in the shared universe with goofy names.

its a comic book show, it can't loving be too comic book-y

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Steve Yun posted:

I like that in the X-Men movies Erik and Charles call each other Erik and Charles, and that Logan, Jean and Scott all go by their names. Same with Steve, Tony, Natasha and Bruce. Well, Thor is just Thor.

The comics pretty much have done this forever too

PaybackJack posted:

I get what you're saying but I like different interpretations of the core idea and a lowkey, less flashy/gimmicky version was something I was really enjoying all the way through. I kept waiting for them to introduce familiar badguys but they never did and I was kind of shocked but I also really liked that. I hope if for next season they do introduce Bullseye/Typhoid Mary/Kirigi/Elektra/whoever they keep it down to earth as much as possible.

But you can't do a down to earth Stilt-Man

:rimshot:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like the suit, I like that it looks weird and off, but I never felt like it cross the line into looking bad.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

zoux posted:

X-men are by far the worst about this.

We all know Xavier is lying about not naming the team after himself.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Unmature posted:

I liked how they humanized Kingpin at first, but it went too far. At a certain point he stopped being scary and just kinda seemed like a big wimp to me. Especially the way he waddled away from Daredevil before the fight in the last episode like a little bitch.

Every person I heard this opinion from I end up laughing because I hear it in the voice of Fisk's father.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

DarkCrawler posted:

I get why he is what he is, but what he is lame. "HURR...you ruined everything...I KILL YOU! RARRGH!" It's absurd.

mr.capps posted:

Every person I hear this opinion from I end up laughing because I hear it in the voice of Fisk's father.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

bobkatt013 posted:

She also is a contender for Mother of the Year!

lol

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

XboxPants posted:

Hahaha:

Apparently there's a bowling-themed supervillain named "Tenpin" with the same name as the assassin that Daredevil defends in 1x03, Healy, the guy that killed Prohaska with a bowling ball. Because of course there is.

this is amazing

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Foggy might just not clean himself or his clothes as well as Karen.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Hollismason posted:

Doing another rewatch ,but I can't get over how great Leland Owlsley is , you miss his eye rolling cause of all the other scene stealers but he's loving hilarious. He's so fed up with everyone's bullshit in every scene.

I was honestly more beat up over his death than Wesley's

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

thrakkorzog posted:

Yeah, but that was more as a messed up kid with no real sense of personal space going through his parent's divorce. But even in scenes where Glen can relate to Sally, where Glen is supposed to act like a somewhat normal teenager who has been through the same poo poo as Sally, and can maybe give some helpful advice, he still comes off as a creepy guy.

Yeah, that is what they are going for.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I would also say he is becoming more and more like his comic book counter part as he show progresses as well.

They are basically getting the best of both worlds, they are creating a new interesting take on the character while having him go through an arc where he ends up where he is in the comics, but still keeping the the depth they established in the beginning.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

bobkatt013 posted:

They have Patty Walker in it instead.

If Dazzler could somehow be in this as well, this show would have my three favorite comic book super heroines.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

zoux posted:

Whoa the worlds only Hellcat fan.

What is wrong with Hellcat? She was pretty great recently in the She Hulk comic.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Soylentbits posted:

So are they going to have Jessica Jones attack Agents of Shield? That'd simplify things.

I haven't thought of that but thinking about it, yeah that seems like a really easy way to do it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Modus Operandi posted:

Killing Urich was a pretty sweet moment to be honest. He was such a trite boring character who cares how much of a role he played in the comics. He just seemed like another "hard nosed journalist looking to get at the truth!" social justice token.

Another "hard nosed journalist looking to get at the truth!" social justice token? What the gently caress are you talking about. Please tell me more.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Modus Operandi posted:

Aside from you?

Wait, Necromonster is Vincent D'Onofrio???

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Modus Operandi posted:

He also tries to basically dox Fisk online which is what social justice types do in real life and It backfires and gets him killed. It also reveals the hypocrisy of his position as a journalist.

What.

Awesome. I can't wait for Stilt-Man

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Who does she beat in court? It was either She-Hulk or Matt, I think it was She-Hulk. It was pretty cool.

For those who don't know Beetle is Tombstone's daughter (another crime lord type character) who didn't want her to be a supervillian like pops so she ended up lawyering for a while.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

The Sharmat posted:

I thought the Beetle was a dude in a suit, like Iron Man?

Old Beetle was, this is a new Beetle. She defends Baron Zemo in court and asks if she can be the new Beetle and he is like "yeah sure"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

The Sharmat posted:

That sounds less interesting than Big Trouble in Little China: The Adventure Continues, but I'll still give it a shot.

There is a guy call Fat Cobra and a lot of dragon punching.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Fisk meet Wesley on a message board. They bounded over their love of Train, yet another parallel between characters.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Halloween Jack posted:

Then they fill in the rest with a series of third-stringers; Daredevil fought Leap-Frog, Boomerang, and Shotgun before Bendis was halfway through his run.

Boomerang gets no respect, no respect.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
My first thought when that happened was "Welp that man is dead."

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I wonder when the netflix series is going to introduce Mike, it was a little weird to not see Matt's twin brother in all the flashbacks, but he is a very important character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

bunnyofdoom posted:

Man Frank Miller has issues.

Well yeah, he has been writing them for years.