Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

What are people using for recipe storage? I'd like to put a tablet in my kitchen and get rid of the shelf of cookbooks. Basically, I'm looking for something where I can (ideally) copy and paste into a virtual recipe card and save. If nothing else, I need an app that will allow me to save my recipes, and isn't a collection of Food Network recipes (or whatever.)

I'd imagine this would be a perfect use for either OneNote or Evernote. Bonus being you can futz around with the recipes using the PC client as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Do Google ... actually know what they're doing? Has someone's unemployable fuckup cousin been promoted to the Messaging team?

'whoooo wants some STICKERS? :holy:'

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The real, honest answer is that the bottom's falling out of the mobile ad business. Google are giving up their search/ad business in order to sell lawnmowers and yard equipment instead

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

IuniusBrutus posted:

Is there a way to retrieve the music I uploaded too Google Play Music? Or am I SOL?

There's no entry for Play Music (yet?) in their 'download your data' deely. However, if you've got the Chrome extension installed you can download single tracks or albums as often as you'd like.

You can also download your whole music library in one go, if you take a look at the Account Settings page in Play Music:

[e] ... of course this is all from a desktop machine, not a mobile device.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Fart of Presto posted:

Did Google change it so you are now allowed to download albums and tracks through the browser without limitations?
It used to be only 2 downloads of a track through the browser and unlimited downloads of your library through the Windows program.

I think there's still the two-download limit if it's solely through a web browser: if it's done while the Chrome app is installed there's no limit to the number of downloads. Downloading through the Windows 'Music Manager' is still an all or nothing thing.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Massasoit posted:

What do people use for managing workflow? Trying to keep task lists and get more organized. Keep doesn't seem quite robust enough.

Seconding OneNote. I've got something like this as a to-do thing:
  • General/Personal ditto for every hat you wear
    • Incoming
    • Ongoing/Long-Term
    • Future
    • Wilderness i.e. 'tasks people will forget about'
    • Completed
I had a big long post typed up with examples, but really - like most of my irl filing systems - it boils down to dumping poo poo into vaguely-named sections and letting search take care of the rest. It's also useful for storing passwords in a corporate context! I honestly couldn't work without OneNote, it's so absurdly flexible.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

DemonMage posted:

There's also ChromeIPass for more lazily than Auto-Type using your passwords from KeePass in Chrome at home.

I use 'CKP - KeePass integration for Chrome' on my Chromebook, as it runs straight from a KeePass database stored in Google Drive, Dropbox or OneDrive - no plugins or anything needed. Does auto-fill, too.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It looks like the 'Gamer ID' server-side switch has flipped for me - I'm able to log into Google Play Games without needing Google Plus. However, it looks like only one or two games - Alto's Adventure, for one - have actually been able to use the Gamer ID thing. Hitman GO, for example, still shows the 'Connecting to Play Games' animation, before asking to create a G+ account.

Anyone else seen this? Not sure if it's an API thing, thus needing the 'old' games to update, or if I should risk an uninstall/reinstall and lose my progress.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think Messenger is the absolute best Google-designed app available on Android. It:
  • does one thing, which is send SMS messages. It does that one thing well.
  • sends SMS messages and only SMS messages, so the person you're sending the message to will receive your message regardless of platform, region, app usage, mobile network, preferred social network, etc.
    • well, besides any network issues, which will be out of your control and also affect others nearby anyway. Shared adversity!
  • has no extraneous 'value added' features, besides those required to send SMS messages.
  • neatly highlights unread messages, and allows you to swipe away conversations you're done with without deleting them entirely.

...so I won't be surprised a single little bit when it's turned into a Fit-integrated social video livestreaming service at I/O this year, and abandoned before I/O next year

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

New to Android with a 5X; is there a recommended app that gives you multiple profiles for "Do Not Disturb" settings or a better way to approach that (like if I have different concepts of what's a priority when I'm at work vs. asleep)?

If you head to your phone's Settings menu, then 'Sound & notification', then 'Do not disturb', you can choose what Priority means to you - so between normal (makes noise) and silent (doesn't make noise) modes, you can allow SMS' or calls from starred contacts through but silence everything else.

You can also set up automatic rules, so if there's an event scheduled on your Google Calendar it'll go into Priority mode, and/or when it's a weekday between 22:00 and 05:00 it'll be completely silent.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

So, Google released yet another messaging app today and all of the blogs scratched their collective heads.

The 'goon in the well' concept, except instead of digging it's messaging apps and blandly upbeat stock music.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Goon in the well, digging.
Google and Android - the Goon in the well.
Kiteo, his eyes closed.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
OneNote is fantastic on the desktop, but I can't get comfortable using it on a phone-sized screen; so now I'm using Keep as a glorified sticky-note service, and OneNote as an everything-dump on my PC.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I just wish there was more flexibility for automatic playlists. Why can't I shuffle all the Blues music I have thumbs-up-ed in my library? Why can't I create a twenty minute playlist of songs I haven't listened to lately for when I'm commuting? - etc.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to bulk-upload some old family photos to Google Photos - is there any way at all of activating the 'search by face' feature outside the US?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

deong posted:

While we're bitching about Now Assistant, Does anyone still get their parking location saved? Mine would for a while when it first came out, but I mostly bike and didn't pay attention. Now apple has it and I don't think I've seen it in a few years?

I think there's an option in Now to set your usual mode of transport - maybe try (re-)setting it to Car and seeing if that works?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
At the next junction, use the left-hand lane to take the exit to your destination.

(three seconds later)

At the roundabout, use the right-hand lane to take the third exit to your destination.

Paraphrased, but every single navigation app ever needs something contextual like Take the next exit and prepare to bear right inbetween these instructions, so you're not doing the absolute last-second lane-switch dance across traffic.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Why wouldn't you just use Google Photos? Is it due to wanting to manually organize everything or fear of the Google panopticon?

I don't know about you, but my ancient family photo albums are vague, unorganised, and at best have a stack of photos + negatives inside wallets with labels like '[spincube] is 12', or 'April 1992': which doesn't play nicely with a system that instead insists on sorting by metadata.

I know there's ways around this by fiddling with date/time tags, but for thousands of photos that's out of the question; it also ignores that sometimes, with physical family photos, the point is to pick an album at random and enjoy the act of flipping through memories of a specific time and place. Again, yeah, there's ways of emulating photo albums like that, but it's another headache and the 'timeline' thing doesn't play nice with the filing system we've already been using forever for physical photos.

It also helps that OneDrive sharing is as simple as it comes: it's not as fancy as Google Photos, but for sharing backups of our irreplaceable memories it's as simple as it comes, with a structure that's already familiar.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

But, disorganized folders and whatnot are the very thing Google Photos is the best at?

Maybe I'm not being clear: outside of family holidays, birthdays, Christmases and so forth, random moments taken on film camera and scanned - kids playing in the yard, etc. - don't have obvious date & time metadata that Google Photos needs to sort and display images.

I mean I could take the 'April 1992' wallet and say well, OK, these were taken on the 1st of April 1992, picture 1 was taken at 00:00, picture 2 at 00:01, picture 3 at 00:02, and so on. It'd be a headache to take a guess and assign a date taken for every single photograph of the hundreds I have scanned, when I can keep them as img_001, img_002, img_003 etc. inside the 'April 1992' folder stored on OneDrive (or any other cloud storage, really) - mimicking the photos kept inside the physical 'April 1992' wallet.

If there were a way of using vague metadata tags like 'Easter 1995' for photos, rather than having to think up potentially incorrect but exact metadata just to satisfy Google Photo's 'timeline' organisation, I wouldn't mind.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

I think the problem is that you're trying to fit the wrong paradigm into Google Photos.

With Google Photos instead of organizing stuff into folders and by date, you just do a search for "christmas with Sally" or whatever and it shows you those photos through the magic of TensorFlow (aka. machine learning). Whether you want to live in that paradigm is a different story, but it's quite good at the paradigm I described.

I'm not talking about their image analysis, which is indeed impressive. Google Photos works on the assumption that you have a photograph with perfect, valid EXIF metadata waiting to be uploaded to their service, so it can neatly display your photos in date order - unlike Play Music, which will scan your Linux MP3s and recreate the files on their service, adding proper metadata as needed from their records to fill in the gaps.

The photo I just 'scanned' of my little sister's day off sick from school, twenty years ago, is an adorable snap I want to keep: but there's no frame of reference for exactly when it was taken. Once scanned and uploaded to Google Photos, as I can't correct the date/time metadata it's listed as taken today, which is obviously incorrect.

Keeping the scans in a folder-like structure, however, best replicates how the physical copies of my photo scans have been stored forever - i.e. '\1996, March\image_###.jpg'. In this case, the bucket-of-files method works better than the metadata method. Support for abstract metadata tags like 'March 1996' - the way all- or multiple-day events in calendar apps 'float' above regular appointments, for example - would solve my issue.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Random use I've found for PhotoScan: scanning business cards. Now there's a use for time/date taken, plus a GPS tag.

What would be impressive, though, would be some Contacts/Photos cross-linking: contact photos are obvious, but why not expand the per-contact call/message log with photos of your contacts by date taken?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Spermanent Record posted:

On a similar note is there a good housekeeping app for actual housekeeping? Set up weekly chores and things that need to be done?

Open Google Calendar, hit the floating + and choose 'Goal'. It'll present you with a few suggestions like 'clean', 'exercise', 'call your parents you wretched ingrate', or 'add your own'. Tell it how often you want to do that, when you want to do that and for how long, and it'll find a time for you.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Something I noticed today: the places you can 'save' in Google Maps don't sync up between the Maps mobile app and Maps on the web.

It's the little things, Google :argh:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mikl posted:

They sync for me :confused:

Have you tried troubleshooting the issue?

I wouldn't even know where to start. Web and App activity and location reporting is on on my phone, but places starred on the web don't transfer over to the mobile app; and likewise the lists and saved places on my phone don't appear on the web. I just assumed it's typical Google to not have anything join up like that

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ah hold on, I think I've found the wrinkle: Maps on the web only saves and retrieves places using the 'Starred' list, which also appears on the mobile app. The Maps mobile app also lets you save places into different, separate, renamable lists, which don't show up at all on the web unless they're also saved into the 'Starred' list which OK yeah is kind of a work-around, but :argh:.

spincube fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 29, 2016

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Enigma posted:

I need a recommendations on calendar software and am hoping you guys can help.

Our office uses a cloud-based platform that includes a company-wide shared calendar. The platform provides an .ics link. Our iOS users can add the calendar directly to their devices by adding the link, but Android does not appear to have native support.

We have been using a workaround where Android users add the .ics as a shared calendar to their gmail account (we use Gmail for business) and then sync that with their device, but there's a problem. Google calendar only refreshes the .ics like once a day, so the devices are never up to date, which is really bad.

Any recommendations on a good alternative to the stock calendar that supports .ics?

I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding, but Google Calendar definitely has remote calendar support - here it is on the web:

[e] found by clicking the down-arrow next to 'Other calendars' on the left-hand side, that is.

...ah hang on, I see your issue with refreshing its contents. Disregard. Google's use case for this must be TV show schedules, or something.

spincube fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 24, 2017

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm hearing you want stickers? Stickers are good. We can do stickers. Everybody likes stickers! Hell, I'll even make them animate, and make funny noises when you touch them, like those banner ads grandma loves so much

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

THF13 posted:

Not sure about the over/under $30 thing in the US, I've been prompted for a PIN in the past on a $1 McDonalds coffee.

It's part of the contactless spec that, every so often, when performing a contactless transaction you'll need to input a PIN anyway. This is to ensure it's still in the owner's possession.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I got fed up with Keep when I could open it on one machine and, instead of pulling down new and updated notes, it would keep the out-of-date data and push that back to everywhere else.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Deeters posted:

Does anyone have a good fuel mileage tracking app? I was using Fuelly, but the "app" is pretty much just a holder for their website. And I'm too lazy to make something in Sheets that does what I want.

I use Fuelio. It's a little basic, but it tracks my fuel consumption and it backs-up automatically to Google Drive.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

The search bar will likely become customizable on the Pixel Launcher. I swear to god if they take away the weather frog I will cut someone.

I thought that about the emoji blobs and, well...

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Random thought: do cards saved for use in Android Pay require re-adding/re-authorising/basically any fiddling whatever when moving to new hardware?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

IAmKale posted:

Are there any Android camera apps that do any of the whiz-bang photo modes that are abundant in the stock iOS photo app?

I've often wondered, does Apple hold a bunch of patents that prevents Google from doing cool presets like that in the stock Android camera app? Because if you compare the two it's no contest, iOS offers way more modes out of the box. I have a Pixel, surely its camera is capable of the same portrait modes, etc... at least from a hardware perspective?

I assume it's a holdover from the 'we'll provide a basic functional experience and wait for ~developers~ to produce their own ~magical experiences~ in their own apps' Gingerbread era.

Strategy these days instead seems to be 'can we find a problem for AI to solve in it', hence the upcoming Google Lens 'you are looking at %famous_painting%, here's a wikipedia summary' poo poo.

I mean they can crowbar those stupid stickers into their messaging app, but the idea of slapping a few filters, frames, even those face effects from ICS (that they later removed because ?????) into the camera just escapes them. Madness.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So this thing where Google Photos will now apparently recognise cats and dogs along with people: is it another server-side switch or something?

I activated the face recognition option by VPN'ing to a US location, please tell me I'm not going to have to do that again just so it'll put names to animals.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Stunt Rock posted:

I’ve been able to search for cats and dogs as long as I can remember using it.

No, I mean being apply labels to specific animals, so you can search for your pictures of Good Boy and Mister Whiskums like you can your horrible family members and useless friends.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

MeKeV posted:

Has the Chrome "Add Shortcut to Home Screen" thing vanished, or is it hiding somewhere I cant find it? I'm running Chrome Beta and Chrome and cant se it in either since a few days ago.

If it's gone, 1) WHY!?! and 2) Whats my best alternative?

er, 'Add to Home screen' is still there in the overflow menu. If a website is open in an incognito tab it won't let you add it to the home screen, though, which kind of makes sense I think?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Huh. Stock everything Pixel 2:

must be a special corner of hell reserved exclusively for the guy who invented server-side switches.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

B-Nasty posted:

Keep is pretty nice for a basic note app, which is all I ever really needed. Of course, I'm trying not to get too attached, as I recognize that Google will kill it sometime in the next few years.

Kill it? Nah, 2019 Keep is all about AI-powered cash transfers between your Keep Contacts, for those times when you're with your photogenic Millennial Friend Group at your favourite artisanal breakfast cereal bar and Joey chanted the wrong slogan in between mouthfuls so you have to cover for him, again

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

I'd be fine with chrome tabs if it had a "Share" option in the menu, but I've always got to move over into a full chrome instance to do that and it angers me.

That, coupled with the poo poo non-swipable news feed and hidden Google Now agenda updates and whatnot, makes me in a constant low-level state of irritation with Google.

I've somehow gotten the option to turn off the 'feed':

...but the result is almost spiteful: you still need to hit that stupid, stupid, stupid sprinkler-thing icon in the top-right to look at what used to be the Google Now stuff.

Unbelievable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

You know, I was wondering what the hell you were talking about with "sprinkler thing" a while back. I don't think I've seen any other screenshots with it on that location. Mine's on the bottom bar.

Sorry. To clarify: it's the abstract icon that doesn't explain what it is or its function in a tooltip when you long-press it, that may or may not be in the same place as the same icon on my device (depending not only on your own hardware and operating system combination, but also on any combination of arbitrary server-side account-based switches that you have no way at all of knowing about nor affecting).

The company that got big and famous for having a service that was [text field] [SEARCH button], but nonetheless got better results than the competition.