Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

GenericOverusedName posted:

Where's my phasetech, Alterra Corporation?

Would actually be nice to have teleporters to different bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
So I got on the experimental mode today and couldnt use my fabricator. It opens up and I go to mouse mode but the buttons don't show up.

Also when I start a new game I just walk on the sea floor instead of swimming.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 23, 2016

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

7c Nickel posted:

The newest experimental revision really changes up how the game plays. Now fragments only spawn in wrecks, lifepods and near the Aurora. I wouldn't necessarily switch over to experimental mode (I think every spawn point near the Aurora is set to Reapers Leviathans right now) but the next stable update should be a good time to start a new game.

Had one spawn in front of me while looking for seamoth fragments.

Luckily I ran for cover, *then* poo poo my pants.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

lilspooky posted:

Yup, these are all things that will make this game fun for a brief period, but eventually will be taken off your hdd and you'll move on. That's ok since it's definitely worth the price. I just hope they or somebody else comes up with a similar sub game in the future with more depth and things to do.

This game made me want an underwater survival horror game. Things get a lot more tense when things can come from above and below.

Cojawfee posted:

I started up a new save with the farming update. The fun is gone. I can't for the life of me find any solar panel fragments. Now I've got four or five air tanks and I've been diving to the wreck in the grassy plateau and scan things until I die. I can't find any fragments that would let me add power to my base. All the wrecks besides the one in the grassy plateau just have chairs and desks. The game is way too tedious for me now. They need to move around fragments so you can at least get a base going without having to cheat with respawns or having to run down to a fragment, scan a bit and then scramble back for air.

Yeah not being able to even find a seamoth fragment after scouring the crash site with my wonderful leviathan buddies made me switch right back to stable.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 26, 2016

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
So is it possible to kill a Reaper Leviathan? I was shocking them a bunch with the seamoth defense system the other day to see if they would die and I had one just disappear with no animation. The roar changed after a little while of shocking but the drat things would keep on running out of draw distance and resetting.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

awesmoe posted:

Waiting for three minutes and thirty seconds is not fun. it's not fun. there'es no fun there. it is not a fun experience. it is immersion in an experience that is unfun. it is not how I choose to spend my time if I am looking for fun. The fact that I have to do this unfun wait only once per game is immaterial. Hell even the fact that the timers could be longer is immaterial. It's not fun to wait a medium length of time for things! I feel strongly that games should be made more fun rather than less fun, and this change does not do that

THANK YOU. I work all loving day and come home to play video games to have fun. Then some 16 year old with no concept of free time or the real world whatsoever whines about how a game isn't immersive or realistic enough, and devs follow suit.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Are these people serious? Comparing the act of playing a loving video game to watching something in a microwave.

You'd think that if these people actually had the patience and temperment they are desperately trying to show off they'd be more than OCD basement dwellers.

EDIT: Just got to the part that compares it WoW guild hazing. Holy loving poo poo man.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 15, 2016

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Met posted:

I just can't get over how that one guy thinks he's heroically part of the silent majority and everyone he disagrees with is maliciously trying to be louder.

That's the magic of the internet. It's why you also see way more wildly loving extreme opinions and viewpoints now. Some people literally just hang out in the "My Opinion" forums and read the "My Opinion" blog and eventually becone delusional to how the rest of the world works.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I haven't played in a while, how do you need the grav gun to get certain things? Never needed it in my old playthrough.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I remember the first time the lifepod drifted away from me. I literally built a current generator just to push it back.

So the solution is just surround the lifepod with current generators.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Just went back to the Aurora to collect the door codes. When I got back, my Cyclops was gone.

Only thing I can think of is Stalkers/Sandsharks/Gasopods destroying it, but I've always parked the thing in the same place (near the geyser in the safe shallows).

gently caress this game sometimes.

EDIT: Also when did they addin the weird alien cube buildings?

Dyz fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 7, 2016

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Just blasted a reaper out of the water with a vortex torpedo and watched it swim in the air. Bonus points because it hit a reefback and made it spin like crazy in midair. Double bonus point because I then rode it with my grapple arm and watched the leviathan try to eat me (exosuits are tough, they can take 3-4 reaper attacks)

Bless this game sometimes

PS: riding a sandshark with the grapple and drilling it's rear end is the most fun thing ever. Payback's a bitch.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

This might be a dumb question, but is the exo suit neutrally buoyant? Most of those kinds of things are not, and I can just imagine me accidentally dumping it off a cliff

No it falls to the floor but has a jetpack and a grapple.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Oh you're talking about the building Next to the mountain?

There's 2 other buildings. One had PDAs in it but those were literally patched away the next day.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Oh right I would have to start a new game or play Experimental to see the new stuff, right?

Just start a new game in experimental and use the console to spawn stuff in, not worth playing the whole thing over again.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Danaru posted:

So what biome area do you guys tend to build in? I just realized today my base is located in "Sparse Reef" which... explains many things :cripes:

At the beginning I build by the geyser on the east side of the shallows, next to the plains and a small stretch of the kelp forest. It gives me plenty of silver to get things going.

For fun I built a base underneath Floater Island. I just ringed the island with foundation and built the structures inwards. I'm thinking of making a way up through the hole in the middle of the island and maybe a huge vertical connector down to the Grand Reef.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Just saw a wild warper in the Sparse Reef while playing experimental.

Pretty sure I haven't spawned anything in during this playthrough.

EDIT: It seems to just randomly spawn out of nowhere.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 17, 2016

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Just explored the deep lava and couldn't find a single sea dragon. Warpers everywhere though. They seem to just spawn in the local predators for the biome.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Vasler posted:

Kind of weird but it feels like my game only half-updated.

It says I'm on the September build but I can't make the reinforced dive suit. I see that I need that new ore to craft upgrades to my PRAWN suit but can't actually find any of the harvestable nodes in the Lava areas. The Tree Cove also looks almost the same as a streamer's I was watching, except there aren't any rays swimming around.

Anyone else experience these types of things? I verified the integrity of my game and everything seems fine so I don't know what the deal is!

Are you in experimental? Sometimes areas don't update and wildlife won't appear. I have the same problem in my save, the ALZ had no creatures in it and thus no Sea Dragon. I was building a base down there right when the update hit, that might be the reason for the bug.

I've also had all predators, including reapers, go silent in a previous save, so you never know what will happen in experimental.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
The new Crab Squids scare me but I haven't encountered them yet. Warpers aren't bad unless one appears near another predator (especially a reaper).

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Carcer posted:

How common are warpers? I haven't played the game much since it updated so I don't know. If you have to deal with warpers about once every 10 minutes then it’s probably not too bad, but based on the crazy spawning of some of the other aggressive fish if you've got to deal with a warper every other minute in some biomes I'd want a more concrete solution than "punt it with a prop cannon".

Warpers seem to patrol around the borders of biomes from my experience. I've seen them in just about every biome except maybe the shallows. There is almost always only 1 in the area.

They are like most predators in that they don't really bother you unless you get too close and hurting them seems to make them gently caress off. The teleport is a projectile which they seem to rarely use or miss a lot. I've only been teleported out of my vehicle once that I can remember, and I have a tendency to gently caress around with wildlife using the grapple arm.

Also, they aren't immune to the stasis rifle, they can just teleport out of the field whenever their AI triggers. They still can't move in the stasis bubble unless something has changed.

I usually ignore them entirely if I have something to do and they haven't bothered me in 99% of cases. In the other 1% they attack me until they decide to use the teleport which usually transports you or them outside of their aggression range.

Lonos Oboe posted:

Does anyone ever mess around with the gravsphere or current generator? I have seen a few ideas for uses on the Wiki and it seems you can create some interesting contraptions with them, but I have not tried yet.

When I first started playing the game my lifepod drifted away from its starting position before I built my base. I used the current generator to push it back.

Gravisphere I've never used but could be useful to set one up next a node while you're drilling.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 5, 2016

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Carcer posted:

There are 2 stalkers and a sandshark outside my lifepod. I cannot kill them, as they team up on me when I try and deal with one of them and the knife is terrible at killing them anyway. I don't have the propulsion cannon yet and it wouldn't solve my problem as I suspect they'd just come back.

If I can't have a spear gun, give me something thats lethal but can only be recharged at the lifepod as a one shot emergency weapon.

I know it's a bit late, but it is possible to kill that much wildlife with the knife if you can circlestrafe them well. All of the large predators in this game turn like an 18 wheeler truck compared to you, even the Sea Dragon and the reaper if you are light enough/in a seamoth. You can basically dance in a circle around them as long as you keep your crosshair on them.

You are also faster than most of the smaller predators if you aren't too heavy, so you can lead them away as well.

Sandsharks are total assholes though.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

StarMinstrel posted:

Been playing this for a while now and I half love it and hate it. Basically I love everything except one thing : the constant swarm of enemies. It seem barely a move can be made without having to constantly switch between my fighting knife, awkwardly circling around the enemy, and then resuming exploration for 15 seconds until a new enemy arrive and the dance starts again. I find it really breaks the flow of the game. Is there something fundamental I'm missing, or is this just a question of enemy spawn that will be balanced before release (in case someone heard about devs' plans).

Avoid predators if you can and always be moving. One thing I do is swim above where I want to go, then dive down. It gives me a birds eye view and most of the predators you usually encounter outside of a vehicle stay somewhat low to the seabed. Do the opposite for reapers and hug the seafloor looking for nooks.

Also, most predators have a certain detection range which gets bigger at night. I think they are also quicker to attack you at night as well.

Predators are there to add some tension to the game, so they are going to bother you every so often regardless.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Ok, I'll try to be considerate of people on the internet. Thanks for your input.

Have you considered telling yourself it's just a forum?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Plek posted:

Yeah I still get pretty anxious when I'm paddling along the surface or in deep water in the game but my heart doesn't nearly stop (as often) when I'm in the open water and I spook myself. What's weird is the game has taught me that I'm actually fine with giant fuckoff monsters swimming at me, it's not being able to see below me that freaks me out.

When I first got this game the first thing that popped into my head was "this concept would be great for survival horror".

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Lassitude posted:

An aggressive enemy that showed up now and then and was something you could only either avoid or run from would be a good addition probably. Getting some kind of warning that a giant squid or whatever had entered the area, and probably not seeing it before it despawned after roaming around for 10 minutes or something, but constantly kept you looking over your shoulder as you went about your normal business, would be pretty fun if handled properly. But yeah, they need some unfathomable enemies which are enormous and unstoppable and keep you afraid of the depths.

Sadly even *most* survival horror games don't do this, they rely on scripted events most of the time. But I would really like it if predators somehow patrolled a biome instead of just popping in, with some sort of alpha that specifically stalks you like a Clock Tower villain. Not really possible at the moment though.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Section Z posted:

I admit "Designated too scary for you" doesn't really do it for me. The older AvP games and System Shock 2 I'm heavily armed but I'm also tense because I could still gently caress up and get turbo murdered (Oh poo poo, it's a tiny psychic monkey! Nevermind that I can smash it with a wrench). Meanwhile I have no interest in the generally well regarded Alien Isolation, because the entire "Threat" is based on the Alien's contractual immortality. Some "Apex predator you have to drop everything and sit with your thumb up your rear end waiting to leave" sounds like a wet dream for a lot of survival gamers, but not really to my tastes because I'd only view it as a designated setpiece time waster.

It's part of why I've gone from considering the Warpers a cool idea to :rolleyes: as they layer on the cheat codes against player agency by letting them yoink you out of your vehichles or teleport out of being stasis locked.

No matter how many people say "Well you can still deal with them if you try :pseudo: " the fact remains they still had to resort to throwing a design panic attack over your tech progression being better than the average starving in the woods like a hobo survival protagonist. (See also: Resident Evil 4 Regenerators worry me more than that one "Only plot set pieces can kill it" Regenerator in the first Dead Space game. The former you COULD kill them without the Thermal Scope, but it was wildly impractical. The latter? "Haha, it's unstoppable until we say so!").

All that said, I would LOVE an Abyss specific turbo horror that would lurk around the very borders of the map, but not enter too far into the biome proper. Because the Devs don't want us in the Abyss anyways, so might as well give it a fabulous incentive to avoid leaving the awkwardly tiny terrain limit.

"Eh, I'm still 50 meters away from the edge-OH gently caress gotta reach 100m oh Jesus Come sea glide you travel 20% faster than this thing crawls."

This is funny because when I think of a good survival horror game, I think of things like Clock Tower and System Shock 2. One of the things I'd love to see again in survival horror is maze-like maps with randomly spawning enemies and I'm surprised more games don't do this. Hearing a hybrid through the walls was what made SS2 so tense sometimes.

I kind of agree with you on the whole "defenceless" thing being kind of lame, but only when it's done in such a way that it becomes tedious or frustrating instead of scary. "Oh god I need to get away from this monster because I'll have to start this whole level over *again*" isn't terror. In my opinion it doesn't matter *how* you are supposed to deal with something in a game, as long as it is entertaining and running/hiding can be fun when done right.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Digirat posted:

The instant someone starts commanding, they are immediately mutinied for being a rookie while the rest of the team angrily complains that they don't have a commander and also that their commander sucks somehow, and furiously blames the quality of the hit detection every time they die

Meanwhile the other team plays as passively as possible and only attacks RTs.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Lonos Oboe posted:

Yeah exactly. The amount of times i would get the message in Fallout New Vegas "Boone has died' because he decided to feck off and try and fight Cazadors with his bare hands. I am all for Iron Man modes and the psychos who love them. But in a game where you can play for 12 hours and a Sea Reaper can glitch out of a landscape feature and eat you would be my definition of hell.

Having actually had this happen while exploring the mountain caves, I agree.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

dumb and kinda scared posted:

Where are diamonds this days? Are they still in basalt? I can't find any basalt for that matter, how deep do you need to go?

Oh and what are luggage bags for?

Check out the rocks in the mountains or the grand reef.

The ones that usually drop gold.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Met posted:

It's early-access. :shrug:

At least they're moving in the right direction. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to put a bunch of work into optimization when they're just going to have to do it again after they add a bunch of content between here and 1.0.

Latest Patch Notes:

Is this the weird thing on the Mountain Island that appeared like 2-3 months ago?

I'm guessing the weird PDAs I picked up in the Lost River one are the artifacts.

E: Also whoever asked about the devs should read the trello card in the post I quoted.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 16, 2016

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

fast cars loose anus posted:

I am not really a survival games person but I love the concept of having to live in the ocean in a submarine base. Is it in a state where it's worth buying as a new survival game player, or should I wait til its out of early access? I'm probably gonna wait til the steam sale to actually get it but I'm wild about the idea of this game.

I hate hardcore survival games and I think this game is great. It has a basic survival system but nothing that is going make the game too tedious or bullshit.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

LonsomeSon posted:

You can pack all four slots with storage modules, if you want to forego the depth module. 64 slots is a lot of space, but basically the only reason I can think of that I would do this is scouring the shallower biomes for metal salvage.

e: also, I reserve one of my 3 cargo bays for mission equipment; propulsion cannon, spare tank, extra beacons, a power cell and two batteries, two medkits, at least one salted fish and a bottle of water.

Unless I'm going to be dodging reapers, this is great for rapid-ish exploration of areas and marking of significant sites. I'm only on my second playthrough so there are still several areas I haven't been through much, and I've found a few new wrecks since restarting after the patch.

Obviously if I'm going out into Reaper country I'm going to want to bring a drill or punchy arm along on my shrimp suit.

If you're docking the prawn with the cyclops you can just use the cyclops lockers to store your survival stuff. You can always build more if you need them.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Section Z posted:

What are the tips and tricks to be able to reach all storage pods on vehicles while they are docked, instead of just certain positions? I remember issues with the Seamoth upper locations, but I forget if the Cyclops never suffered that snag or not.

As for ship storage itself? I always build some fresh lockers ASAP anyways. The "free" lockers have 2x horizontal storage that can't even fit a spare seaglide by the airlock :v:

EDIT: Speaking of larger than average objects, that reminds me. I really wish the floating lockers took up less inventory space because it's not like we can take them with us if anything is inside them. Just wish they were more polished in general, really.

For the seamoth, idk, but if I remember right you can access the prawn from the docking station above. I usually just move to a safe location before loading and drop the cehicle anyways.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Dongattack posted:

How do you deal with the biggest carnivores at this stage in development? I'm parked in my Cyclops looking at the Sea Dragon Leviathan and it's kinda hovering around where i need to go outside. And it's basically the first huge and hostile creature i've had to deal with (only seen a reaper in the far foggy distance so far, been lucky i think).

Sidenote: Holy poo poo its so beautiful, rarely has a game been able to create a creature where instantly the first word that comes to mind when seeing it is "magnificent". I spent most of the 48 hours played on this save so far worrying about it (and the reapers), how scary it was gonna be and what hosed up sounds it was gonna make. However its just awestriking and making some soothing crooning sounds. I'm sure its not as pleasant when it attacks tho. Reapers are far more scary so far.

edit: lol yes, i jumped out in my PRAWN suit and now its clearly screaming some hosed up obscenities at me

Wait... crooning sounds?

You're talking about this guy right?

https://youtu.be/HSq7k26LoS4

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Nah, it was the sea dragon, but the sounds were getting muted because of distance and the cyclops. Once I stepped outside it was pure nightmare :cry:

Realtalk, I clicked my link while my speaker was still on upstairs and freak myself out.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

queeb posted:

found some crazy poo poo inside the floating island, can I do anything with this alien stuff?

Is it plants?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Rhjamiz posted:

Ok, one thing in this game bugs me and it's common across every Survival-type game I've ever played;

I'm really, really tired of my characters universally suffering from some kind of goddamn wasting illness where if I fail to stuff my face or drink a liter of water every 2 hours I immediately drop dead. For gently caress's sake, give me a day, at least! Or two! Christ.

This has also been one of my biggest pet peeves with survival games.

What exactly is so difficult about watching a meter and clicking something in your inventory every 5 minutes? Why does it need to be there?

E: That's a serious question, I really can't understand the type of person that thinks such a simple repetitive action is challenge.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

The fog is just an effect of terrain spawning in by the engine. It's a lazy compromise. While I don't think the design is inherently bad, Subnauticas "cube" shaped world just feels really weird to me after 30 hours of playing. The abyss at the edges is just so unnatural and weird.

Nah there's something there if you know where to look, it's just so slight you need to know where to look to see anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
To be fair the precursor stuff seems to have added some more progression to the game.