Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Alright I'm probably going to screw this up.

"Are there any plans for PSVR displaying existing non-VR games in stereoscopic 3D?"

I don't know if I even said that right so here's an example:

I would like to play The Last Of Us Remastered in stereoscopic 3D using a VR headset. Is there any indication that PSVR could do this? Does it already do this? If not, am I stupid in thinking this should be easy for Sony to do? My basic rear end brain figures "yes" because stuff like vorpX exists, but it's also not optimistic about Sony being Sony. Is PS4 remote play + rift + vorpx actually cool/good?

edit: (to be clear I'm asking this because from what I can tell, Cinematic mode just displays things on a virtual 2d flatscreen floating in front of you, with no stereoscopic depth)

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

NRVNQSR posted:

If a game can already display in stereo 3D on an 3DTV, it should be possible for Sony to make the PSVR display it in stereo 3D in cinematic mode too. I don't know whether it supports this right now, though.

If a game doesn't support stereo 3D on 3DTVs, PSVR won't be able to add that support. VorpX on PC relies on being able to manipulate the game's rendering, and on having extra GPU power available to do the stereo effect, neither of which are possible for the PSVR on PS4.

I wouldn't expect remote play + VorpX to work at all, for the same reason that VorpX can't take an ordinary TV signal and make it 3D; the 3D information just isn't available any more once the signal has been sent over remote play.

Oook thank you. Wading through the internet in an attempt to catch up with all this VR dev is... you know. (Then again my appetite for researching tech/gear ain't what it used to be)

re: remote play + vorpX, no wonder, I didn't believe it when I heard about it. Latency, plus flat video information, yeah.

w00tazn posted:

It sounds like the processor box takes the HDMI source input, applies a transformation on it and then displays it on the screen. Depending on how this is implemented (HW vs SW) it might not be able to do this as it needs to be able to transform each eye differently and also be able to handle the 3D input (alternate frames? interlaced? sidebyside?) from the PS4.
It currently does not support 3D input and whether or not it can be patched in is up to some Sony engineer to confirm / deny.

Good to know. Despite the realities of business, I'll say this: I think if Sony focused on getting stereo 3D PSVR support for its major AAA non-VR games, PSVR would be selling twice as fast.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Is the OP gonna be updated any time soon? trying to decide if I should sell my Rift and get a Vive or just buy the touch controllers and call it a day, and there's just too much information and shilling on the internets. I saw some footage of Onward and decided I need in on that stat

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

JoeMB posted:

Just get the touch controllers. Both are pretty comparable now that touch is out. The touch is a better controller than the vive wands but you may have more problems with roomscale since the rift cable is pretty short and I'm quite sure you need a third camera for comparable coverage as the vive but if all you care about is 360 coverage then oculus is more than enough.

Honestly Onward is the main title luring me away from the simple comforts of PSVR so I want whatever plays that the best. So my next question is, how much does the 3rd camera help with Onward? $80 on top of $200 has me waffling again

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
What are the advantages at this point? It's kinda hard to keep up with all the updates, last time I tried Vive it was very nice but had a pretty narrow sweet spot and it was tougher reading text. has that changed?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Just to be clear on my terms, Onward is not "roomscale" because you input locomotion through the controllers, right? I like roomscale enough but I feel like there aren't enough killer titles for me to need it, so if Onward is just 360 then I guess I'll just order Touch and call it a day.

Poetic Justice posted:

The sweet spot is considerably better on the Rift, everything is pretty much clear edge to edge with the optics they use, the downside, as you know, being the godray beams.

Thanks for the info. I can stand godrays way more than blurry poo poo so visually the rift is good enough for me, especially since all 3 systems technically look "like poo poo" to me anyway :v:

so impatient for gen 2 optics already.

JoeMB posted:

The touch is a better controller than the vive wands

I'm also pretty curious how this shook out because i thought the vive has a brilliant and super accurate tracking system ?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

AndrewP posted:

I mean.. you can move within your space, but maps are big. I played it fine with the "360" set up, but it was definitely nice to have more space to move once I got the third sensor and had "roomscale". Still moving around the map with the controller.

I think I'm confused at what 'roomscale' even mean at this point?

Wait so does Onward have a specific "360" mode and a "roomscale" mode? Or does it just merely track better when you add a 3rd camera?

edit: how does adding cameras to Oculus work? is there a max?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I couldnt imagine Onward without being able to go prone or play dead and have enough space to walk around cover.

AndrewP posted:

Hah, I have never come across anyone playing dead yet in Onward, that's hilarious.

Anyway, Oculus can do Onward fine. You can get on the floor, do whatever you want - it's just a matter of aiming the sensors correctly.

Oooook wow, alright, I'm glad I asked now, because I definitely would pony up for the ability to physically lay down myself and just do what I want rather than have to worry about figuring out "the right controller input" to get my virtual self to do it. Just how much of a difference is there?

Cojawfee posted:

Both tracking systems are good and accurate. They use IMUs with high update rates for the primary tracking and use their respective tracking solutions to do sanity checks on the IMUs. Neither the oculus camera or the valve lighthouse trackers are able to do much on their own. The cameras are limited in their framerate and the lighthouse is limited to how often it does sweeps. So while you may get millimeter accurate location tracking of the controller, you won't get that for another fraction of a second. By itself, you won't get very fast tracking. Same thing for the cameras. The downside for the cameras is the size of tracking area. The downside for lighthouses is you have to cover every reflective surface in the room or you risk loss of tracking.

Ah nice thanks for the explanation. I think the lighthouse concept is super cool but it sounds like way more trouble (reflective surfaces, setup, the whirring, actual moving parts) for pretty small return since the IMU's do all the work? I guess it still does have the best headtracking?

Cojawfee posted:

my vive was eaten by a dog

l m a o

I would like to know the odds that this dog was 100% aware of what he did to the object of his jealousy

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 27, 2016

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

iceaim posted:

I was leaning towards the Oculus initially too 8 months ago, but imo buying an Oculus is a huge mistake. The tracking is simply not as reliable and you will run into occlusion more often than any of the issues you mentioned regarding the Vive. I had my concerns about the Vive too, but after reading knifergrab's informative and humorous posts, I decided buying a Vive was the right decision. I ended up buying my vive 3 weeks ago, but I was lurking in the VR/stereoscopic threads for a couple of years.

Honestly the lighthouses personally gave me zero trouble. It took me about 15 minutes to mount using contractor polls and camera clamps. I was worried my living room's large window would cause problems or that my old 52 inch Sharp LCD tv from 2006 that I use as my main PC monitor would cause problems, but I've had zero issues. In fact the new firmware that lighthouses use, greatly eliminate and reduce tracking issues due to reflective surfaces.

After mounting the lighthouses I was basically up and running. I had zero issues tracing my room, and I've been enjoying perfect tracking since day 1. I've had absolutely zero issues with occlusion, and absolutely no Rift owner can make the same claim if they are truly honest with themselves and not deluding themselves into thinking they bought the superior product. Also I've had zero issues with being able to read text clearly. I find the Vive quite sharp, though I do have the lenses pushed all the way back in order for there to be plenty of space for my glasses.

If you buy the Rift, you're buying a product with second rate tracking that can't scale up the way the lighthouse tracking can. At least consider picking up a Vive from like Best Buy so that you can return it within a month if it doesn't satisfy you.

how much time have you spent in an oculus, and have you tried their touch controllers?

I already did the try-n-buy with the Vive/Best Buy when PSVR came out (I tried all 3 systems out, motion sickness had me thinking I might not be ready for VR, got used to it, and it was actually PSVR's convenience that got me back into giving this gen 1 crap another shot. worth it and have no regrets)

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
What in gently caress? I broke out my oculus for the first time in a while--PSVR has just been much more comfortable--and I may have figured out why oculus gave me so much poo poo at first. The horizon is tilted. I do a quick google and... IMUs are that heat sensitive?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Shredder posted:

I haven't had any issues with Rift+Glasses, but I guess it depends on what kind of glasses you have. Someone recommended a pair from zenni that was like $13 that fit well in the Rift.

Can you post the model? both of my glasses are from zenni and fit ok but I'd like to know what else to try.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Played superhot with the oculus touch controllers and it was maybe the best VR gaming experience I've had so far (besides flight sims)? Can't wait for more stuff like this.

-I will say that I hate how Oculus pretends like you can just open your hand and pick stuff up in-game without the controller falling right off
-I think I prefer Vive's more honest "you better hold on to these fuckers"

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
yyyyyyeah ok surprise responses. my controllers still haven't touched anything but my silky soft hands you sweethearts :bigtran:

Seriously though, they cue you to open your hands and reach out in the tutorials, they make a big show of 'disappearing' the controllers and leaving your perfect virtual hand avatar representations, the rings imply some kind of freedom to let go, but really, you still just grab poo poo with your middle finger, and putting all the solid grip on just your pinky and ring fingers feels sorta meh. They're neat and good controllers but it's kinda weak when they tell you to "open your hands" and you can only actually do that when your palms are facing forward.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

homeless snail posted:

Also get on itch.io and download the demo for Gorn, immediately.

It may be better for me that I waited a while before finally trying this out, because the lack of VR titles has me super impatient in general..
But holy gently caress Gorn is the sole game that convinced me that I need to go full roomscale. :black101:

Sefal posted:

Got my vive, set it all up. It's amazing. but it seems to be a bit blurry on some places. i guess i need to set the ipd?
What are some of the stuff i should buy/try out? And what would be fun for a 8 and 6 year old?

Can you still play SuperhotVR with Revive? If so you pretty much have to

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
here's my GORN story:

When the talking head told me to shoot him in the face with the bow & arrow, I thought he meant the gladiator behind the bars, not the floating talking head (I was pretty high.). So I tried shooting arrows between the bars, which obviously wouldn't go through because I was too dumb to understand the tutorial. I then jumped in the goddamn air and let fly a noble shaft over the bars and straight into the gladiator's noggin, killing him and getting stuck for 10 minutes till restarting since it was my last arrow.

I then got to live out my gladiatorial fantasies prancing around as DOUBLE SWORD GANNICUS from spartacus so 10/10

GlyphGryph posted:

I had the game mirrored to a screen set up to the side and tilted towards me, so I was standing (a ways, nor directly) in front of them and could see myself through their eyes.

Thinking about it, most people would probably find that a bit confusing, but I dunno, it felt fine for me so long as I kept the vive-wearer in mind as my reference point.

This is actually rad as hell on a couple levels :shroom:

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
PSVR has a really nice screen so I'm probably going to try out Trinus pretty soon. Also going to sell my oculus and get in on the next vive sale cause I miss that thing.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Real talk if trinus isn't awesome I may just sell the PSVR too. I've spent solid time with all 3 headsets AMA

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Kassoon posted:

Alright thanks, this claims to add motion support for the move controls: https://github.com/cboulay/PSMoveService

Oh man haha look I love my PSVR but let's be clear: the motion controllers are just repurposed PS3 Move controllers so they are straight up a generation behind VR. Trinus support would be an amusing novelty but you know what no not even that. Shudder

Welp here's my VR purchasing story. My PC juuuuuuuuust barely qualifies for VR specs. I bought all 3 headsets in Oct when PSVR came out to try them out head to head. Twas all amazing and happy sampling things here and there at first, until motion sickness started kicking in, at unpredictable times and with unexpected games. This made the considerable setup involved with PCVR an ordeal. Us nerds are reluctant to admit it but early on, the spin-up time to get a game going could be anywhere from "download and play" to "find drivers, buy a new goddamn USB card, contact support, recalibrate my loving headset for temperature, restart the computer fifty times, play for a minute and then lol when it crashes" whereas PSVR is generally download and play. The headband is also a trillion times better than both the Vive/Rift straps (and you can see both them and third parties taking cues in their next iterations). So with dramamine and PSVR I got my VR-legs and went hog wild. Only then was I motivated to fix up my PC setup and dive in. By that time I already returned the Vive because they have a sweet return policy, but I knew what I liked about it. Then I got the Oculus Touch controllers and enjoyed those. After a couple of months with VR and getting my mind blown by SuperHot, Gorn, and low-FPS Onward, I now know that I personally must have roomscale in my life. I am now ready to buy a new CPU/mobo and become lawnmower man.

So what do I think? I'll be careful not to step on toes.

Right now at this exact moment, the Vive/Rift experience is pretty evenly offset with minor quirks that ultimately don't really mean poo poo because they can both play most of the same games equally well. So let's just lump them in together as PCVR for now.

-If you don't have a PC, already have a PS4, and just wanna get in on VR and see what it's all about, it's worth it and it's fun. RE7 is an actual game and the experience is maybe quadrupled in VR.
-Do not buy a Pro for VR. Sony would have to come up with next-gen controllers for that to be worth it. The games run just fine on a normal PS4 and the catalog is still slim. But RE7 did well and demand is insanely high so the platform will not die just yet.
-If you already have a VR-ready PC, then another ~$800 is probably worth the investment because development is really starting to heat up and there are some pretty enjoyable games and even better betas/demos/one-shots
-If you already have a Rift you should just get your third sensor already
-If you have neither a PC nor a PS4 but really want to get into VR then we have more questions for you before continuing. Nerds will kneejerk defend their purchasing decision but that's not what's appropriate for your budget, your preferences, and also your living situation.

I'm on the fence about selling my PSVR. After RE7 there's not too much to look forward to in the near future, but the platform could do very well, specifically in cockpit and FPS games that don't use roomscale. Right now developers are pretty all or nothing with VR, when really they should be looking at more transitional games and implementations. Imagine Battlefield 1 or even SWBF with VR freelook. If RE7 can be done, how far are we from COD? I love roomscale stuff and everything VR-AMAZING-WOW-DROOL but could we just...take some existing games that are already very good ACTUAL GAMES and then make them VR-able?

Hopefully Sony sees all the cool stuff going on with Doom VR and the whole modding scene with PC games and starts moving in that direction. X-wing VR mission was really awesome but you could see how much money they wasted on making brand spanking new content with voices and level design and etc etc etc. When what it really demonstrated was that a modified SWBF flight system using existing SWBF assets could be a totally awesome and flyable VR experience for any casual PS4 owner. But eh really I'm just impatient. Hopefully Elite Dangerous on PS4 can get their CQC servers populated.

Bum the Sad posted:

Why? I just recently opted for a three sensor Rift over a Vive after playing both at PAX south. I just really liked the polish on the hardware of the Rift. Figured it was worth the tradeoff for slightly inferior tracking tech.

Right now they're on arguably equal footing and I won't go further than that here. For me personally I'll say:
-I like the Oculus Touch controllers but am more excited for the Vive knuckles
-I want roomscale and prefer the Lighthouse implementation

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Zero VGS posted:

This is pretty neat, 3D scan your face and use gaze tracking, and you can render a "good enough" see-through window on live streams of VR users:

https://thenextweb.com/virtual-reality/2017/02/22/googles-new-tech-turns-vr-headsets-invisible/#.tnw_1GedjRyO

lol immediately got weirded out by the guy's unflinching brow while he grins like a madman

https://i.imgur.com/oDhS3pm.gifv

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
e: oops double post, gently caress it

GlyphGryph posted:

Underwater VR?

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/603634/using-virtual-reality-underwater-is-weird-but-fun/

Seems pretty cool. I could imagine some really intense immersive experiences doing this.

Holy gently caress I can't wait for this to be a thing I can rent. Or take into a lake and die :banjo:

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Is Art of Fight worth $25? I see that it used to be $18 and am still real stingy with my VR purchases when most of the free/beta stuff is a trillion times better than whatever's being hawked full price. Although I'm pretty interested in just checking it out for the locomotion alone.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

SwissCM posted:

I'm not sold on many aspects of the locomotion and the game is pretty loving janky, but when it all works it can be a lot of fun. I have some fond memories of counter-strike though which may make me a little biased.

poo poo counter strike is practically half the reason I have carpal tunnel which in turn is half the reason I can't wait for VR to take off :lol: so I may as well get this while I upgrade for Onward. I'm hoping this is the right seam to make the move-- We're a year out for another iteration on headsets, games are starting to get fleshed out.. which is also why I'm even more hesitant. New good stuff keeps popping up.

How often do they update Art of Fight? What are the (good) alternatives to it and Onward?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

GlyphGryph posted:

I must have found my way into the closed beta then since mine has the weapon purchasing stuff.

That explains why it looks so unfinished.

But I also dont have limb tearing or knockout visuals so.... i dunno!

I found my way onto a weird version i guess

Can someone explain to me

a) how to delete weapons from your inventory
b) what the gently caress the stool is for, I hate it

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Knifegrab posted:

I think everyone here is really used to locomotion solutions but this needs to be stated: None of them are good.

Is this even a solveable problem? I honestly don't know but I see it as the one biggest limiting factor for VR.

a) they're not great, yes, but are they really any less serviceable than wolfenstein 3d in 1992?
b) plenty of today's games still give old folks a good headspinnin'
c) kids right now are being born with lovely VR so, speaking of,
d) the answer to your problem:

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

EdEddnEddy posted:

I wish they would put that pull your self around motion control into Adr1ft. That game was neat (and I keep forgetting to finish playing it) but the control scheme wasn't as good for VR as others.

Really pretty though.

Oh man that would totally make that game worth finishing. I'm picturing a drag scheme where the travel isn't really 1-to-1 with your position and more of a way to generate a momentum vector.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

EdEddnEddy posted:

Well VR would mainly be for ship creation, I am not sure how they would do flight in VR.

Unless, they did it where you had a virtual control surface with all the buttons and virtual stick/throttle or something... There could be ways.

But I feel that won't happen until either KSP2.0, or some major update down the road.

Which is unfortunate because the ship building is one of the best elements that would work perfectly in VR with just a little snap assistance (on and off toggleable) and being able to walk around the ship in 3d Would be pretty rad.

I'm confused. I was responding to your post about Adr1ft, the one where you float around a wrecked space station as an astronaut? I liked the sensation of spacewalking but the rest got boring real fast.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Phuzun posted:

Why wouldn't it do this for people with 360 Rift setups? I'd like to see someone demonstrate the supposed attacks from behind.

I used the diagonal 2-camera 360 rift setup for Superhot and I don't recall ever needing to turn around but I totally spun around all the time, like a ballerina. I think they did a good job of shifting the viewpoints to hide the fact that it was a 180 game because I was constantly using the guardian/chaperone boundaries to figure out where "forward" was.

iceaim posted:

One caveat with regards to VorpX is that I have an iron stomach. Nothing gets me sick. At worst case, I feel a tipsy euphoric dizziness which is very pleasant rather than a nauseous feeling. As a result I actively seek out VR experiences that people complain about making them sick because it literally makes me high.

This is amazing

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

El Grillo posted:

This underwater survival-horror is coming on March 28th and looks... terrifying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFMEF5CCxt8
https://uploadvr.com/narcosis-release-date/
Been in development for a while so hopefully it has a decent length to it.

Anybody tried vorpx with SOMA?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Stick100 posted:

Esp. now that you can rebuy at same price and get a $200 video card for free.

Woah, hello, thank you :tipshat:

The question is do I flip the RX480 or my 970 for a new mobo hmmm

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
i'm a bicep wearing sweatpants in vr

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Anybody tried Breach It yet? I honestly hope we get seven trillion vr siege clones

Stick100 posted:

Additionally Payday2 is free: (permantently if you get it now)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/218620/PAYDAY_2/

Also the Steam summer sale is coming up in a couple of weeks (dates have leaked but are NDAed).

Thanks for the heads up on Payday 2 (looks like first 5million copies are free, wonder if they'll hit it), any news on VR support?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

On the flip side, now that I've finally gotten around to trying it, Robo Recall is pretty :krad:! Is Superhot VR anything like this, with all the slow-mo bullet time and akimbo weapon badassery? If so, I may have to pick that one up during the Steam Sale.

1) Don't even hesitate, GET SUPERHOT

2) If you are playing Gorn, Superhot, or even Robo Recall as a videogame you are doing it so, so so so wrong

Here's how to play these games:
  • Verbally taunt your enemies (ok you can actually flip them off in gorn too now lol)
  • Moonwalk in front of them before teleporting, dashing, or doing the mike tyson out of the way
    http://i.imgur.com/hhEj1OG.gifv
  • Toss a gun up, punch someone in the face, catch the gun and then reshoot them in the face
  • Stab them in the butt
  • Punch them in the butt
  • Hold your guns sideways, upside down, and also lay on the ground and shoot them in the grundle
  • Do the pootie tang
    http://i.imgur.com/AW7BCjO.gifv
  • Perform as many no-look kills as possible, preferably whilst pretending to drink something from a cup in superhot
  • Get between two bad guys and pretend you're bugs bunny in a lady outfit and duck really fast so they shoot each other, then pretend to eat a carrot
  • In general your primary strategy should be to
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-XJhv0lJY4

Seriously though gorn and superhot are unquestionably Must Play. Definitely try to get a closed beta key for gorn or at least download the free itch io demo. Robo had a lot more room for style than I expected so I'd love to hear how people stack it up against other wave shooters like that (Sairento, Raw Data, etc)

wireless is gonna be somethin else :allears:

p.s. I did not know about the locomotion mod for robo recall till way after I got it, highly recommend it

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 10, 2017

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Tom Guycot posted:

[Robo Recall stuff]
Oh you can toss your weapons at bad guys and catch them on the rebound to refill them?
Oh you can pump the shotgun a few times to fire multiple blasts at the same time?

whaaaaaat Ok, that's fuckin rad, had no idea. There are so many combos in this game it's like finally getting John Woo's Tony Hawk's Pro Shooter. Now I'm even more wary of spending money on any other waveshootin' game. What should I look at next?

-Raw Data: seems cool but expensive
-Sairento: less polish but cheaper?
-Space Pirate Trainer: I always heard about this but it was one of the earliest titles..how does it stack up now?
-Serious Sam: there are so many, and they are all pretty pricey-looking. If you had to choose one to start, which would it be?

Preeeetty lame that John Wick is not dope. Is there anything redeeming to it?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Nalin posted:

It's going to require a GTX 1080 Ti for min-spec.

I don't know anything about gaming hardware these days, did they say this anywhere or is this just very obviously what will happen?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Ok wow that is amazing. I'm not the one to explain how he did it cause I know nothing about photogrammetry but holy poo poo--that is amazing. The future is here. The prank possibilities if you can get good at sneaking headsets onto sleeping drunk people

Also the idea of uploading your apartment/house/palatial summer estate into Pavlov or Onward or whatever is prettttty cool

Unrelated, enjoy the latest in lolocomotion:
https://www.3drudder.com/

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Yeah balance is way more important than overall weight IMO

Truga posted:

If you buy a new vive today it's lighter than a rift, tbh.

Is there anywhere I can find out model # cutoffs or anything? Is the only difference weight? drat silent hardware updates

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

:gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz:

I'm about to set up my vive proper-like with a new video card and mail the rift to a buddy sooo the steam summer sale is about to murder us. What multiplayer shooters are worth getting? I remember earlier in the thread people said good things about Art of Fight and Hover Junkers but the latest reviews on their respective steam pages say the playerbase is gone and the games are completely dead. Is it all just Onward/Pavlov now?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Didn't get a chance to play Echo Arena until the end of the weekend and played all the way till the servers died. Holy poo poo that got fun as gently caress fast. Also people invading each other's personal space in lobby was hilarious ("too close! too close!" "just let it happen man" "it's all free love in the future bro" as complete strangers form a human centipede).

Now that I'm getting into more 360 multiplayer games, the cord-wrap-mummify problem is becoming a real party pooper.

What do you guys do for cable management in this dark age before wireless? I keep thinking of attaching it to some kind of mount above me but somehow I feel that will end in disaster. But having to keep track of it on the floor is really annoying when I'm darting around doing fun poo poo in multiplayer. I ended up using snap turning in Echo Arena to recenter irl but that totally killed the fun of it.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Yeah I have enough slack (just used random extenders I had lying around), it's more that I REALLY get into VR. I envisioned this whole investment as a workout thing first actually--and so far it's actually been great--but I don't think there's any good solution to my whining besides wireless. When I'm sliding my feet around and slipping and bobbing and weaving and doing stupid kung fu poo poo, there's just no avoiding the cable. Does moving like this actually help you in any game, even melee ones? Absolutely not. Does it exponentially multiply the fun I'm having? Yes, yes, yes, quadrupledrople yes.

I freakin love VR :)

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Oh daaaaaamn

Wonder if there'll be a separate MP buy for vive owners or if you just have to buy the full SP game to get it.

Also lol I was so excited to load up Thrill Of The Fight and then every time I went to cover up and block, my hands just smashed right into this huge honking thing that was welded to the front of my face for some reason. Guess my style is mayweather/toney until gen 3

It's gonna be a wild time when we get full-on pvp melee games (...is echo arena the first one with it, technically? I just realized that was the first time I punched someone in VR, and it was great)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Ooh and a free weekend for The Unspoken, I always wanted to try that