Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Firstborn posted:

Cobretti taking the pizza out of the freezer and cutting it with scissors will remain with me forever.

It's legendary, along with him grabbing warm beer in the convenience store in the middle of a shootout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Filmed in St. Louis, because John Carpenter knew you couldn't fake that level of desolation on a set!! (See also, the previously mentioned Trespass)

East St. Louis, the Flint to St. Louis' Detroit.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I can't see Seagal ever cracking the slightest smile about himself or his canon, especially now that he's BFFs with Putin and other former Soviet Bloc dictators.

And let's not forget his previous phase of "I'm a REAL LIFE BADASS, see?!" where he rode with some LA parish sheriff's department and had a lovely reality show about it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The word you're looking for is inertia.

Yes, all-CG creations are frequently terrible with inertia. And it's really not a flaw of CG itself as a method, but I think rather a generation of directors and animators that have come up with much less practical effects experience and who rarely do their due diligence in studying physics and kinematics to effectively simulate large masses in motion.

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah a lot of it isn't just speed it's setting up and editing everything wisely.

A good 80s examples is at the end of the original Terminator. Technically I know some dislike the stop motion, and the full size body is only barely articulated. But the brief shot where it slams into the doors of the factory right as they close completely sells it. The part where he gets thrown from the motorcycle and is sliding along the ground sparking the same way at the same speed as the motorcycle is awesome too.

Yeah the foley work on the endoskeleton's interactions with the pavement, the door and Reese really sells its hardness and mass too.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

Brian Taylor has said recently that he's interested in doing a Crank 3 but it has to be "exponentially more hosed up" than 2 for him to be willing to do it.

I can't even imagine this, but I know I want it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

Action and reaction are never in the same shot. When Nick Fury is being chased, the cops chasing him and him are never in the same shot. You get a shot of him trying to manuver the car, a shot of the cop firing, then a different shot of some glass breaking. It never feels like it's all happening in the same location.

I just rewatched the fight between Rogers and the Winter Soldier and there's barely any moments of attack and response/counter that happen without a cut, sometimes multiple cuts per action. And that's the best action sequence in the film.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lobok posted:

I'm often nitpicking action scenes in movies but I don't remember having many problems with Winter Soldier. I know Jackie Chan hates how in so many Western fights the impact of a punch is in a different shot than the punch and how that severely dampens the effect. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I watch Winter Soldier.

It's not terrible, it's a well-choreographed sequence and the cuts are skillfully edited to maintain a good energy flow and consistent sense of space. I just don't like frenetic two-cuts-a-second editing in general, it inherently divides your attention between the action happening in the frame and the competing action of constantly reframing it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I can't believe there was like two pages of classic pre-nutso(er) Seagal discussion and nobody brought up Hard to Kill, the movie that features a resplendently bearded Seagal outmaneuvering his assassins by rowing his coma bed around a hospital with a mop.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

1997: Also Predator 2 and Croneberg's Crimes of the Future.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 21, 2018

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tezcatlipoca posted:

How do you people feel about the Tom Jane Punisher? I haven't watched it in a while but I remember liking his fight with super Shredder. Where all his carefully hidden weaponry fails as he's getting turned to burger and he has to improvise to get the upper hand. That was a cool scene.

I think it got unfairly dunked on by fanboys who didn't get the 100-minute X-rated bloodletting they were expecting (and like some other internet-savaged cape flicks, actually got a pretty faithful adaptation that they theoretically really wanted instead). The movie has a great macabre sense of humor, as in the aforementioned fight sequence, Frank bringing a knife to a gun fight, the blowtorch interrogation and Travolta's completely ridiculous final farewell.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Darko posted:

It also has the same problem as Indiana Jones 4, and is something that works subconsciously that most people don't notice.

In movies like Die Hard, Predator, and Raiders, especially, the hero's image degrades as the movie goes on. They get more bloody, they lose more clothes or they get more ripped, and they show their injuries more and more in acting. Die Hard 4 and Crystal Skull get rid of that for the most part, and gives the hero a more invincible feel.

The Road Warrior is really good for this too. By the final act Max is hosed up, Gibson was always great at playing someone who got the poo poo knocked outta them.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Patriot Games is my favourite of the three good Jack Ryan movies. Clear and Present Danger is very good as well and probably has the best action scene of the series (when Ryan's team is ambushed in Mexico) but its villain isn't as good as Sean Bean.

Does the sea corridor sequence in Red October count as action or suspense?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Those probations for racist shitposting are taken completely out of context, furthermore

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Timby posted:

R.O.T.O.R

Hey, I watch Comet too.

Crash and Burn is the worst Terminator ripoff because it bills itself as a Robot Jox ripoff instead but that part only happens at the very end :argh:

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 30, 2018

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Was just thinking about some throwaway character moments that made an impact on me, like for example in Total Recall: the unnamed Mars Sargent who barks "they're ALL CONNECTED!" at Richter after Quaid escapes their checkpoint gunfight.

Would like to hear some of yours.

In Charade when the stamp dealer describes the most valuable stamp in the world with such deep admiration and then a few minutes later Audrey Hepburn takes it away and apologizes, he says with supreme cool and genuine appreciation "It is alright, for a few minutes it was mine, that was enough". What a drat class act.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jet Li took apart Riggs' gun in Lethal Weapon 4 but I don't remember if he did anything cool with the slide.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

You didn't lie, my man.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Predator 2 might have the best "80s crime panic" opening ever.

"Rush-hour rambos" has long been in my personal lexicon.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Samuel Clemens posted:

Screen fighting seems to be much more about engaging in a sort of dance with your sparring partner than a normal fight would, which is probably why a lot of fighters can't make the transition.

Also, check out behind-the-scenes/docs footage of fights being filmed off-angle sometime. They often look hilariously bad from any direction but the recording camera since it's, you know, a fake fight meant specifically not to hurt anyone but look really exaggerated and cool after editing. I'd imagine people with a strictly practical martial arts/fighting background would have as much trouble going through those motions as like, an Olympic gymnast would if you asked them to do their routine at half speed in a zigzag pattern.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FancyMike posted:

Obviously both are important I just figured it’s important to mention the guy who choreographed it when the conversation started with a comment on that choreography. If you’re gonna have Keanu say “I know kung fu” and kick rear end there better be someone who knows some loving kung fu doing the fights and the Wachowskis made the right choice by getting one of the best.

He did great work giving each character a distinct personality in their fighting styles, too. Having the Agents fight mostly with power blows and relentless forward momentum was especially effective in selling their utter dominance in the setting.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Sam Worthington appears to have been produced by a Leading White Male Actor factory. He was born (decanted?) to play the protagonist in every movie based on a FPS.

I'm Default Male Shepard and this is my favorite post on the forums.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Warzone is definitely still a product of it's time, specifically that it was made before The Raid or John Wick and so it didn't get the benefit of being influenced by how those movies were shot. The Raid changed the game about 3 years later.

Tons of action scenes are still edited like that, either in an attempt (however badly) to make the action feel more kinetic and frenzied, or just because the choreography sucks and needs covering.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I love polearms and wish they got more play in martial arts/action flicks, especially the humble quarterstaff.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Narzack posted:

She seems really sweet and lovely, I'll admit. And the idea Gensisysisisys had about remixing known constants isn't bad, just bungled execution. And who thought it was a good idea to spoil evil John Connor in the trailers? That could have been a cool T2-esque reveal.

Probably the same people whose idea it was to spoil T2's good Arnold Terminator reveal.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Now that I've seen the trailer, this looks like a Dad Movie in the worst way.

Like I know there's a plot justification for it, but he went from manning a boat in Thailand to looking like the protagonist in one of those schmaltzy CMT movies.

Yeah, this looks and sounds just like one of those WWE Studio movies where ARE BOYS finally get to take charge and solve the crime/drugs/terrism problem the right way :clint:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

If this is the film I'm thinking of, it also has one of the greatest scene transitions of all time.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gejimayu posted:

Can we still cast James Marsden as Johnny Cage playing an action star waning in his years?

The sunglasses jokes write themselves!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: My real issue with the MK movie is, MK just isn't as filmable as it was in 1995. They've gotten a lot weirder with the setting and characters, and a lot bigger with the story; a simple Enter the Dragon clone is probably all you can really do without it going full-on into absurdity, but then you're ignoring 95% of the franchise.

MK 2011 is a perfect setup for this, it both returns the series to its Enter The Dragon clone roots while setting up all the weird poo poo to come.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

3 is Colonel O'Neil's combat uniform from Stargate, although I probably wouldn't have recognized it if I hadn't rewatched the movie recently. Guessing 2 is Indiana Jones' desert wear from either Raiders or Last Crusade?

5 has gotta be Arnold's vest from Commando and 6 is obviously Stallone in the cryonic prison from Demolition Man, amazing.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Is this the kind of movie that would make an intentional homage to a Doom comic in its poster/promotions?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm down for both on the same day tbh.

Same, double features need to make a comeback.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Inspector 34 posted:

Am I the only person who didn't think Green Lantern was all that bad? I mean it was kind of forgettable I guess, but it didn't offend me or gently caress my wife or whatever.

I rewatched it recently and no, it isn't that bad, but it definitely suffers from some bad creative decisions that hold it back: a lovely "for the slow kids in the back" beginning voiceover, an overstuffed plot with both a personal villain for Hal and a Cosmic Fart Cloud of Doom, and being too loving DARK. No, not grimdark, but actually visually dim, reduced in brightness and contrast, which is a super bizarre direction to take when the subject matter is a hero who literally wields a color as a weapon.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lumbermouth posted:

the Dolph Lundgren vs alien drug dealers vehicle I Come In Peace.

Wait this movie is real? I thought I hallucinated it when I was zonked out of my mind on antibiotics for pink eye when I was six.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

Bong is involved and I don't know if it's a remake so much as a separate story with the same themes. So much of Parasite seems specifically Korean so I don't see how that works with Mark Ruffalo (rumoured to be attached) anyhow.

Yeah like, there's the artistically-bankrupt "just xerox this previously successful thing so we don't have to take risks" remake and then there's the audience-conscious "reinterpret the material to speak to a different culture while communicating the same essential themes" remake.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Was David Rasche in Cobra proper? I'm gonna be pretty embarrassed if I forgot that Rambo and Sledge Hammer! were in the same flick.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Electronico6 posted:

Wouldn't be so sure. Disney is sending everything from the Fox catalog into the vault never to see day light again.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/10/disney-is-quietly-placing-classic-fox-movies-into-its-vault.html

Oh gently caress, do you realize what this means?

The Queen Chestburster from Alien3 is a Disney Princess! :neckbeard:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This isn't true as he kept doing more and more elaborate moves as the fight went on. If they wanted me to think he was tired why was he doing all this spinning and jumping. It was a cheap, poor attempt at the Oldboy scene and I don't understand why people like it so much.

It's videogame logic, shut up

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MrBling posted:

You're probably thinking of this scene from Armour of God 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tA-9m3j7_Q

edit: skip to 2:30 if you don't want to see jackie chan doing cool stuff on a bike

Who the hell wouldn't want to see that??

That reminds me how I always loved Chan's insane car chases. The ramp jump in My Lucky Stars, the shanty town demolition in Police Story, the hovercraft and car garage scenes in Rumble in the Bronx (the latter not exactly a car chase but a chase involving cars, including two of the most harrowing I-can't-believe-that's-not-a-stunt-double stunts I've ever seen). Mad respect to Jackie's obsession for pushing the envelope bleeding over to vehicular action.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Clipperton posted:

Happy 44th Scott Adkins (and Scott Adkins's taint)

I like how even the ref is stunned at what's about to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

The same thing happened to Commando. I'd always concluded it was a satire, but the timeline doesn't line up. Turns out they did it as a comedy and everyone else played it straight.

Commando was unironically ahead of its time.