Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

il_cornuto posted:

The worst thing LA Noire did was the serial killer plot, with the reveal showing that all your previous cases were wrong and everything you had done was pointless. I played about half of the case after that and realised I wasn't enjoying it any more.

The thing that stopped me playing was that after finishing the Murder cases Vice seemed like such a downgrade in importance that I quickly lost interest. Is Vice considered a more prestigious cop job or something? I thought catching killers was a lot more important than catching some dude with drugs or hookers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Ghostlight posted:

I like Men Drinkin' Coffee

Their LP of the terrible Ride to Hell: Retribution is hilarious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVAQo8SJUQY

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

PerilPastry posted:

All right, thanks guys. Gonna shell out for War of the Chosen instead

That was your choice? You have chosen wisely!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Pigbuster posted:

The best part of Ride to Hell is how when faced with an electric fence your main character hijacks a tanker truck, drives it to the electric dam, and blows it up to disable the entire power grid.

Just so the full insanity of this is clear, you hijack the tanker from just across the road from where the fence/gate is, it would have taken less than five minutes to ram the thing down or even to have exploded the tanker to destroy it, but nope you gotta take out the entire grid via a distant dam.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Mordja posted:

Looks like Dominions 5 got announced, which should make the people who like Dominions happy.

Will this one have a UI and/or enemy AI? That would make me happy.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Castle storm has been ninjaed already.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I think their distinction is cosmetic purchases vs buying an advantage like gold shells in World of Tanks.

Gold shells can be bought with ingame currency BTW, you don't need to spend actual money.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Fallen Enchantress was real lovely and terrible on release. In fairness they did put a number of patches, DLC, and I think a re0release standalone(?) out, but it doesn't seem to have ever got good.

You didn't ask, but for the thread in general Gal Civ 3 is real disappointing. The Crusade expansion (which I bought because I really liked GC1 and 2 and hoped this would fix 3) changes a few things and finally makes Starbase construction not total dogshit, but I still didn't enjoy the game overall.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
It's generous TBH

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Wasn't Fallen Enchantress headed by the guy who did Fall From Heaven 2? He could have legitimately just made a Fall From Heaven standalone and it would have been great. What a shame.

I think so, but if I remember correctly they were going to do an actual Fall from Heaven game then there was a fall out with the rest of the team and he went off to make FE solo/with SD

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is Sid Meier's Civilization VI any different from release? Anything worth going back to if one exhausted the game's possibilities on release in a couple dozen hours?

Not really. There's meant to be an update and a DLC at the end of the month, but the update is adding MORE religious units which seems to be the opposite of what anyone wants, so :shrug:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Carecat posted:

The best part of the game, the Nemesis system, has improved substantially and you have a whole new layer with armies to make domination meaningful. The filler side activities are a bit better this time but the story is really stretched out and usually consists of very boring missions. No joke several of the main quest missions are follow character from A-B and stealth kill ten enemies. It's very embarrassing to compare to The Witcher 3. They have also turned about three missions worth of plot into a eight or so mission Act One so you just run back and forth to Shelob's ten second vision of the same event and hear Celebrimbor repeat different variations on the same dialogue about the loving Pallantir.

They should have done a plot that focuses on orcs and the nemesis system like with Ratbag in SoM instead of Tallion's lore mangling emo adventures.

Being needlessly long and wordy is keeping true to the core LoTR themes. It's a fun game!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Civ6 is terrible, not worth it even at 50% off. Even now the AI cannot fight wars, at all. Carpets of City State units block the map and break all your path finding as they shuffle about for no reason. I'm not certain, but I don't think even the latest patch stops the AI leaders from popping up and warning you not to build any nukes in 2000BC or condemning you massive yet landlocked empire for not having a large navy (there might not even be oceans on the map). If you ever fight a war and take a city or more, every AI will hate you until the end of time. The game seems to want you to play as a peaceful builder, but lacks basic UI elements of older Civ games such as build queues or the ability to order all you cities to build a specific thing at once.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Terminally Bored posted:

:psyduck: why would they do this and not patch it in after all this time?

In a year they have still not fixed how the city building tab majorly overlaps the city details screen. And that's something a mod fixed about 15 seconds after the game came out. I've been pretty disappointed with how Firaxis supports their games for a while now, it's like no one on the team actually plays and cares about their games. Or that might be unfair, perhaps they do care but someone above them absolutely refuses to allow them to fix or improve anything even if they do it on their own time, but the end result is still the same.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Anyone have thoughts on Clockwork Empires? It kind of fell off my radar because it didn't seem to be getting anywhere, and I think the thread here died, but perhaps it has improved?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Too Shy Guy posted:

By all accounts Clockwork Empires killed its developer Gaslamp Games as of December 2016.

Oh, that's a shame :(

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I played them all as a fighter :black101:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

you're lucky you didn't play long enough to get to the "ironic" bearded wonder and technology quotes they got from yelp reviews*

*and for those of who you haven't played civ 6, if you think i'm kidding or being hyperbolic, no, i'm 100% serious

I quit shortly after building the Rhur valley wonder in my first game. There were lots of terrible things about Civ 6, but building a wonder and getting some inane quote about it actually being a pile of poo poo was the final straw.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I grabbed Turmoil because it was a daily deal, and still is for 4 more hours as I post this.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/361280/Turmoil/

It's a pretty fun little oil-drilling game where you try to make the most profit possible and eventually become mayor of the town. The campaign takes maybe 5-6 hours and introduces some new mechanics as you go along, such as finding natural gas or various upgrades to make your drilling faster and more productive. It doesn't seem too replayable, but at the sale price it seems worth the money for a single playthrough.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Dogs are good.

Slay the spire has taken over my life for the last few days. I don't normally play deckbuilders or roguelikes, but somehow the combination of the two has hooked me. It's in early access, but it's real good. And I don't mean 'good for early access', I mean it's a top notch game already and apparently it's going to get even better.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Too Shy Guy posted:

There are so many better ways that could have been set up, like having you be ambushed and shoot a tank of the stuff in a moment of panic that spills over, or just separate it into a cinematic moment. But instead the game goes to great lengths to say You, The Player, Did This when I could see what was about to happen, and then the game forces you to do it anyway. From that point on I felt like the game had an antagonistic approach to the player, that it wasn't going to pose hard choices for me but that it would keep railroading me into doing terrible things and then have the other characters hammer on how terrible they were. Other games like SOMA handle this much better by engineering awful, unavoidable situations without explicitly judging you for them, or hiding the terrible reveals behind entirely reasonable decisions.

It also assumes people wouldn't want to kill the civilians, but people enjoy killing people in games in creative and terrible ways because they know it's not real. In a way the game out-metas itself because it wants to say look at this terrible thing you have done, good job it's not real, eh? But the entire reason you do any of this is because it's a game you are playing. Ok, I guess I could just not play it and nothing bad would happen in this virtual world, but are you going to refund the game's price when I make that choice? No? Then gently caress off.

I enjoyed spec ops because I felt it was fun to shoot stuff (I see a lot of people saying the shooting is generic, but I don't play many shooters) and it was fun to see Walker spiral into madness, Because the game controls the character's perspective it could do neat things, like you spend a while seemingly fighting a midboss only to realise you got freaked out and started shooting a manikin. It's also neat how your soundbites go from crisp military lingo to roaring and screaming as the game progresses. I think if you ignore any message the game tries to give the player and just enjoy Walker's decent into madness it's a pretty good game.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Civ6 Rise and Fall seems good if you already like Civ6. If you don't, it doesn't fix anything beyond some minor UI improvements. The AI is still literally incapable of taking cities which either have walls or a ranged defender, because it gets scared and pulls its units back when they are damaged.

My rise and fall game so far:

Spain settles new city near my capital.
Spain makes fun of me due to my smaller population, turns unfriendly.
New city revolts due to all the loyalty pressure (New mechanic which the AI doesn't seem to understand).
Newly free city sends it's slinger to attack me for some reason. Really balls up my fight against a barb camp and my archer dies :grr:
Newly free city who just attacked me swears loyalty and joins my empire.
Spain is now impressed by my larger population, becomes friendly.

Meanwhile on my other border:
Australia greets me, vows to stand together against warmongers.
Australia sends a delegation.Becomes friendly.
Australia pays me to open borders. We seem to be good buddies.
Australia rolls up an army to my border and declares a surprise war.
The one archer in my capital wounds a few of their units (3 of 8?) all units then run away.

So, weird thus far. I suppose I'll build more units and beat up Australia until they regret their decision. Maybe I'll wipe them out and see if Spain hates me. If so, they can go too

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Burning Rain posted:

drat, that's not encouraging.... I still got it because that's one of the two series I've played all my life, but I might just have to play pacifist or something, because getting involved in any kind of warfare seems basically cheating - much more so than civ5 ever did.

Eh, it's hard. The agenda system will make someone get mad at you no matter what you do. Too many wonders? Too small population? Too large population? Not trading with someone on the other side of the world? Some fucker is gonna get mad at you. Maybe play pacifist but keep a large army to discourage wars, but even then AIs seem to break when it comes to Joint wars since those are trade deals rather than war declarations, so you'll likely get attacked sooner or later, even if it's by your best friend or a neighbor with a tiny army.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Zetsubou-san posted:

have you played it recently? it seems someone did a pass over the translation because the only textual problems I had was that I didn't yet understand all the in-universe jargon, and some of the UI is written in Flyspeck 3 because lol unity scales text to fit and english is longer than korean.

other than the UI readability issue, the other two problems I had that might be worth mentioning are

- you need to click on the mostly blank screen before the main menu appears
- the game defaults to korean on first start, but changing it to english was easy enough

Their roadmao also says from now until the release in march the focus is going to be on improving stuff and making a proper tutorial, so it might be more accessible in a month or so.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

al-azad posted:

Various reasons for that. The market wasn't oversaturated, tactical shooters were at their height, the series tanked with Interceptor, and you don't have a decade of nostalgia for this one game. And then 2K's CEO was making wild statements like Kanye West is the Chuck Berry of our time or whatever.

Strategy games just aren't contemporary! :downs:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Is there any easy way, or indeed any way, to sort my library by tags? Like, I want to find local co-op games I own, and so far the easiest way seems to be to browse the store by the local co-op tag and scroll though the list looking for ones with the in library note, which seems inefficient.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Too Shy Guy posted:

This site lets you sort your library however you like, if you're okay with looking your games up externally: https://www.lorenzostanco.com/lab/steam/

Perfect, thanks!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Maybe you are just thinking of the Titans expansion for Planetary Annihilation?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
A toggle: American schools/Countries where you can't buy guns in the supermarket schools.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Stellaris trip report: I played on a tiny, tiny map and enjoyed it yesterday - I made more progress in understanding the game and what it wants me to do, but this morning I looked at the Stellaris thread, and apparently the AI for the latest patch is absolutely busted, so....

Welp.

I'm going to try watching the Distant Worlds tutorial videos again, see if I can't crack that nut instead while I have the "play a space 4X" bug. I like Stellaris more, I'm still a dummy at it but I'm getting better at understanding its rhythms (play on fastest speed at ALL times, and still bring a book along to read when it's slow) and I had a lot of fun yesterday!

DatonKallandor posted:

Note that with Stellaris you can go back to any previous version at any time with Steam. 2.02 is an extensively beta tested patch that is rock solid - that's the version to play until the issues with 2.03 are sorted out.

That patch got rolled back after a day or so, the live version is back to 2.02, or there's an opt-in 2.04 beta.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Don't say that, I'll spend the entire day playing it - !

Yeeeesssssss :getin:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Yeah, SotS 1 complete has great combat, even if a lot of the surrounding game is rather low quality. If you like it though, just pretend they never made a sequel.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Diversity doesn’t scare me, the lack of diversity makes me uncomfortable. There are almost no white people in this game, and those that are there are evil. Are the developers (ironically, from Sweden - the country that shifted to Middle Ages because of refugees and their immigrant policies) telling me that all the white people with normal hairstyles will die out?

You can’t even think beyond your own presumptions, you see “SJW” in a text, and you comment with a prejudice about someone you don’t know.

I've seen this a few times, mostly when alt-right Americans get mad at our games. Is there a view in some parts of the US that Sweden has collapsed or something? As a Brit living in Sweden it seems like a great place. It's as if people heard about paid vacation time and social healthcare and their brains just broke. Kind of like how the :zaurg: thread ended...

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

New Vegas > 3 > 4 for the modern ones in my opinion. FO3 at least had the excuse of resurrecting the series in a totally new style for its foibles. Everything about 4 was just hilariously bad to me: the wasteland aesthetic made no sense, two-thirds of the writing went into those little memento mori scenes (because nobody has moved those skeletons in 200 years despite running a shop), and there were two towns. It was more like a Rage sequel than a Fallout game...

Also, unless you do a gimmick Luck build, FO4 is pretty much no fun gameplay wise. It did give us this video, however, so maybe it was all worth it in the end...

How was the ending of 4? Before DLCs 3 had that loving infuriating "It's something YOU have to do" radiation death room that your rad-immune ghoul and supermutant buddies just couldn't do for you ending. On the other hand I got bored of 4 and never finished it.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

yeah, it's ridiculous. if something is only one one site i guess it makes sense but when people specifically choose steam over somewhere that doesn't stick drm in or treat the devs better i think that's a weird decision.

Steam doesn't add any DRM though, Devs can choose to use Steam's DRM or not and plenty don't.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
It's been a long time since I played Dying Light, but I didn't enjoy the combat much. It just felt like you hit the HP out of zombies until they fell over. They didn't really react or take damage before "dying", no broken or severed parts, you just decrease their health number with your attack number.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

You clearly didn't play it for long. In the early game, you're weak and should generally avoid combat. As your Survivor rank increases, better weapons appear which are much more effective. Bladed weapons can slice off limbs and heads, blueprints add special effects which can electrocute, burn, poison, and send enemies flying (well a little).

I guess I never really felt in danger or that I had to avoid combat. It wasn't hard to kill zombies, just tedious, and I figured killing them was both the point of the game and how to level up so it got pretty boring. I'm sure it does improve or there's better ways to play, but I wasn't engaged enough to get further in.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I played Shadow of War for a bit when it came out and then got distracted by other games and forgot it. In the meantime it has added the Slaughter and Nemesis tribe DLCs which I got from some fancy pre-order bonus. If I start playing again will those new orcs just turn up in my existing game, or do I need to start over?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

my post encouraging folks to check out stellaris went largely unnoticed I think so here is a better summary to give folks that extra lil' nudge to get it

You can defeat the Xenophobe Fallen Empire and then eat all the different species they preserved on their Ringworld. I also like to build a death star and go blow up the Gaia planets held to be sacred by the spiritualist Fallen Empire., they get so annoyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I actually went and watched a stream of SC:O and, yeah, the writing is not good. The humor is very much in the same vein as Sorcerer King where there's no attempt at jokes as much as there is just this bizarre tone where nothing is taken seriously.

Stardock writing is always terrible, to the point that I imagine there must be oversight to ensure it's terrible because actual writers should be able to be decent from time to time.

If anyone wants a laugh, or doubts that he might sabotage his own company's writing, look up Brad wardell's book on Amazon.