Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
gently caress sherlock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i dont like rise of tomb raider much :( i wanted to dammit

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Jamfrost posted:

I don't get it. Is there a meta-narrative with the supernatural stuff with Far Cry. I thought Brotherhood was about crazy fanatics. Or did I misread?

Also, the thread's new car smell is already gone. :smith:

the metanarratve is YOU ARE BAD WHITE MAN

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Floodkiller posted:

It's apparently by the same people who made Lords of the Fallen, so I'm leaning towards the latter unless proven wrong.

It's actually pretty good!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Xander77 posted:

Far Cry 4 Brotherhood (I'm still trying to make that happen):

I just played through a mission from Longinus that sent me into the Himalayas (a separate location you teleport to by E-ing a Sherpa).

Even though it was marked with an L on the map, it apparently didn't count for "seek and complete 1 Longinus mission (marked with an L) to be eligible for this upgrade".

The moment it was finished, three more missions popped up within walking distance.

The first one was from Hurk. It was about stealing a monkey idol... in the Himalayas.

And the next mission was about stealing a Blood Ruby from a mine... in the Himalayas. And was hard as gently caress, and probably intended to be completed later in the game.

One chance to guess where the final new mission wanted me to go.

The game loves to constrict what you can and can't do any time there's a mission happening, but it completely fails to suggest a reasonable mission / free roam progression. I know people hate tutorials, but introducing a new activity every few missions would have made sense.

Also, AJ is amazingly goddamned stupid and personality free.

welcome to ubisoft, dude

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

flesh dance posted:

a few hours ago I grabbed a random key from the gifting thread and it turned out to be Dark Matter, which bills itself as an "amazing remake of the classic arcade game Asteroids!" at first I was kinda jazzed because I worked at a retro arcade one summer in college with as many free plays as I wanted (awesome for sure, but the owner was a nightmare person, so that was a tradeoff) and asteroids was one of my jams, but Dark Matter... I mean technically it seems to play fine, but it's so cheap & ugly in art & sound design that I won't load it up again

this got me wondering, what is the best feeling and/or looking asteroids-y game on the market? free clones of the original abound, which are preferable to whatever dark matter is trying to be, but I'm curious if anyone's done something cool with the formula

maybe it's just aged its way out of relevance like all of us lol
obviously its this game i made
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5omF0VszTc

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5KO43Y_c0w

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

bad day posted:

I just finished The Darkside Detective. Good game, but way too short for an adventure game. Night In The Woods is my new standard for how long a game story should be - this was about half of that.

I bought it for $10 - it's worth about $6 in terms of total enjoyment? The story, art, music, and gameplay are great but the game is just too short and too easy.

night in the woods took like a decade to make, it's a little unfair to expect that from everything

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Jamfrost posted:

Wait? What? I thought the US can gift to whomever they want. I didn't have any trouble firing off some during the summer sale. Did something change? :stare:

people can only gift to friends who would pay around the same (or more) for the game. so you can't send things to, for example, Australians.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Jim Barris posted:

Ha ha, poo poo, you really nailed it with that comment. I was so profundly disappointed with FO4 for that reason. It's so loving close to greatness. It's too bad no one at Bethesda has ever read a goddamn book in their life. They have the worst loving writers, it's embarrassing.

FATHER: I AM YOUR SON

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Pierson posted:

Watch_Dogs 2 is extremely good and what W_D1 should basically have been if they wanted the series to be received well from the start but god drat I've gotten frustrated by guard-dogs being able to sniff me out and ruin my stealth. They're fuckin' dogs, how the hell do they know where a restricted area begins or ends?!

they're good dogs, pierson

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm not going to lie, I really want to play Grimore because I have a huge soft spot for oldschool first person dungeon crawls with a big party and way too many races and classes. I can't wait to be disappointed and refund within 2 hours, assuming it ever comes out.

please dont give money to white supremacists

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

quote:

GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 14 minutes ago
As soon as it boots fullscreen twice in a row on my Windows 10 laptop with Steam client it will be submitted for release.

personally if i was gonna make a game i'd see if you could run it before the deadline but whatever im not cleve blakemore

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ShadowMar posted:

get berseria. it's my new favorite tales games and would've been my JRPG of the year on PC had nier automata not also come out this year.

for fun, read a story summary of it's quasi-prequel zestiria and also the issues it has as a game (loot, combat, etc) and see how berseria does literally everything better in every way and basically shits on zestiria constantly.

berseria is actually a prequel TO zesty so it doesn't matter and you should just play TOB yes

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Orv posted:

Thanks dad. My first post was meant as a joke, while my second was a genuine question. Lined up they look like I was trying to start poo poo, which wasn't my intent. I was actually curious as to what games from them Terminally Bored had played recently, because I find that typically tower jokes about Ubisoft games come from people that haven't really given one a chance in a while. Ubisoft has made a couple genuinely good games in the last few years, and I think people are doing themselves a disservice not to give them a shot, but if they've tried a recent one and didn't like it, I don't fault them for not wanting to try another.

here i'll help, i've played ubisoft's recent games and they're always padded with endless bullshit

wildlands can go gently caress the devil in hell is what i'm saying, it can gently caress right off forever

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

lets take the best tactical shooter series of all time and make it a loving generic open world game

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

But they didn't do that, they made it into a fairly good multiplayer 5v5 shooter.

you know drat well what i mean

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Kragger99 posted:

Is the single player fun? I've never played them, so I'm not sure if they are MP only.

The single player of swat 3 is really good. Rogue spear not so much

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sivek posted:

Yeah, I quit after an hour or two. I was surprised the gameplay was so boring and unsatisfying considering their previous game, Savant, was kind of fun in a limited action, arcadey fashion.

Savant is older in that it released first but owlboy has been in Development far longer and it shows

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Orv posted:

Ghost Recon hasn't been a tactical shooter for much, much longer than Wildlands has been around.

You'll take my copy of graw2 pc when I'm dead

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Charles Get-Out posted:

Anyone have opinions on Grimoire yet?

Does the game made by the insane racist manbaby live up to the $40 price tag? Did Grimoire completely revolutionize gaming?? How much racist poo poo made it into the final game?

It's a game that would have been seen as a shoddy wizardry ripoff in the 90s. I think I might do a proper video review of it later

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

you bought it?!

Refunds baby

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMAsPyYonNg

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Objection, Operation Abyss is perfectly serviceable if you want relaxing dungeon crawling. It feels very similar to SMT1+2 (except with a set party) and is just pleasant to play. I mean, I've been using it as a wind-down game recently, and dig it a lot.

I hear Stranger in Sword City is better, though!

Don't forget Elminage, which is literally just Wizardry 5 again

also i wrote a very good and detialed grmoire reviw pls enjoi http://steamcommunity.com/id/crowfeathers/recommended/650670

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Might and Magic 6 and 7 both actually have a hybrid toggle-able real time/turn based combat system which is really bizarre, but it works well once you understand when to use which one.

I did not actually play 8 or 9 so I don't know about those.

8 is basically the same as 7 and that includes the turn-based option yes.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

- You can only level up outside of the dungeon? Restoring spell-points only happens outside of the dungeon? It's weird.
- Plot is hilariously thin.

that's because they're based on wizardry 5, and that's how it worked in w5.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Orv posted:

I think "thin" for the plot of most Wizardrys is actually being fairly generous.

well, i mean, 6 7 and 8 have plots with characters and stuff, and towns to explore, and things like that. it's just that in japan everyone loves wizardry 5 for some reason so that's the one they imitate

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Zetsubou-san posted:

so i was reading your other reviews and I noticed that Dungeon Manager ZV 2 existed, and that I had enough steam funbux for it

thanks!

apparently it's got an expansion pack now too!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

hummingbird damage 51

are there like any good modern wizardry clones that aren't elminage or stranger in sword city on the pc

not really, which is why grimoire is such a big deal and people are so angry or elated.

i guess you could play operation abyss

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

Anyone heard anything about Shrouded Island? It looks pretty fun and a bit KoDP like?

it's way too simple to be a kodplike, sadly. i can't think of much else like that -- rogue state, maybe? though that's also small in scope

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Shima Honnou posted:

Too early to tell but Grimoire has some real potential to end up being the next measurement of low player population. It peaked at 122 so far, and Battleborn has more current players by 11.

that stupid clip of the fly sounds i uploaded has more views than the actual lets plays of it some people have started

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Yeah, I noticed that right away and it's really bad looking and disorienting. Turning at walls and corners just looks terrible. I don't even remember games in the 90s having that problem.

Sounds like YOU'RE an SJW CUCK*

*steam community forums

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Orv posted:

It's the 200+ hour reviews that have just childish, petulant reasons as their negative reviews that are funny to me. If it's some long-running game that has changes made that negatively impact the quality, sure, but often those reviews are hundreds of hours with the most spurious reasons possible. Playing something for like, twenty hours to see if you can find something to like? Sure. At some point it becomes unhealthy.
i don't even like playing a game for 20 hours

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Cryohazard posted:

I wish there were a curator that'd sift through the negative reviews for a game and summarise points that aren't loving stupid.

No Japanese VA? Who gives a flying gently caress. Game is abandoned and you didn't get your money's worth? You played 200 hours! Difficult to play with KB+M? That's valid for you, but why should that contribute to the overall metric for those of us with controllers...?

Oh, and my personal favorite- I don't like <genre> but I bought game of <genre> and didn't like it because <genre>. gently caress right off!

I think an early access game being abandoned is worth saying????

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah, the open world in gtav sucks.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Empire isn't as bad as people say it is, especially not now. It's still one of the worst entries, but it was bloody ambitious and I can kinda respect it for that. Same with Rome 2, they tried something different from their standard formula but went the wrong direction. Their best games have always been the simplest though: Rome 1, Shogun 2 and Total Warhammer are all cut from the same cloth of simple is best. Shogun 2 and Rome 1 are my favourites mostly because of the brilliant soundtrack, nothing is more intoxicating than the victory music in those games.

remember napoleon

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

I think for a lot of the human male portraits, Cleve Blakemore painted over a photo of himself

looks like ted cruz ate paul ryan

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sininu posted:

First 10 minutes of Wuppo have been really charming so far.

i love wuppo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

BirdOfPlay posted:

Hopefully, that isn't the case, because he stil hasn't written the drat manual! Also, resolution issues are because those resolutions "did not exist a few years ago." Because, when I write I game over the course of decades, I know I put a checkmark on "tested resolutions" 5 years before release.

Like, seriously, this dude is slobbering all over his own knob for halfassedly releasing a broken game 4 days late and sometimes fixing a bug. Hinterland released four updates in the first four days that The Long Dark went live!

By the way, is there a thread for specifically for making GBS threads on this game? Bonus points if its a gathering place for "politically motivated activists...body surfing the edge of [a tsunami]."

It'd probably work at my bar trivia, but only as a tiebreaker, which follows Price Is Right rules.

Four days late

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

there is no reason to ever play cave story + on pc