Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Agile Vector posted:

was 'what if the soviets landed on the moon with people first?: the show' any good? it was the only thing they had i was interested in and we have a free trial to unlock but so far have seen no reason to

i thoroughly enjoyed it. i think it was in part designed to appeal especially to people watching in high resolutions on big displays. lots of believable sets, really stark lunar landscapes and other environments, etc. some of the human interest stuff is a bit overdone but that might be in part because i am just a robot looking for fun moon science

i’d argue it would be would a one-month subscription, perhaps, to watch it and then cancel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

they should go full wacky graphics card naming. apple iphone 12 super mini xc3 ftw gamer

iPhone 12 mini ex2 alpha

not for another month

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

fart simpson posted:

what about smell

there are people who unironically want smell-o-vision and i can barely think of anything i want the internet to be able to make me experience less than smell

Juul-Whip posted:

the air is the only one from this lineup that makes sense to me. a passive cooled laptop that’s not too slow. you don’t lose any ports compared to the previous generation and it comes with the same amount of RAM. what’s the benefit of air cooling the same chip in the pro and mini? higher sustained peak performance which only matters in a handful of situations? situations where you are probably also wanting to connect more than one external monitor? forget it.

I would buy the air since it solves the biggest complaint about the previous generation: how slow they were with the lovely Intel low power chips. otherwise wait for a future gen of the pro (or desktops) where the platform will be truly unleashed, you’ll be able to get more than the bare minimum of ram and you’ll get more than just 2 ports for hooking up all your dongles.

i'm pretty into the mac mini. with that said i wonder if we'll see mods to add active cooling to increase the length of time it can run all-out before being thermally constrained, or if it's sufficiently locked down in firmware to make that not matter

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

FCKGW posted:

the Mac mini and mbp have fans, only the MacBook Air is fanless

yeah im an idiot and just realized that. mini supremacy, I kinda wish I could justify it right now

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

My understanding is that intel's 10nm node is roughly equivalent to everyone else's 7nm and that the "5 nm" node is really just a minor shrink of certain aspects of the 7nm process and is really 7nm+ or ++ or whatever the gently caress they are saying now

this is how i understood things to stand as well.

for that matter nothing is stopping intel from designing a chip and using someone else's fab for it if they wanted except complete and total embarrassment

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

it’s not simple to change fabs, you have to design the entire process

the rumor is that nvidia’s current supply issues for the 3xxx cards are because they switched off TSMC but Samsung’s process sucked and they’re spinning up TSMC again but it’ll take 6 months or more

sure i'm not saying they can just go bing bam boom onto tsmc or whatever, but there's nothing theoretically stopping them from putting something out so they can play the marketing numbers game like anyone else. it turns out that amd spinning off their fabs was ultimately the right move, and i do wonder if intel will keep theirs up indefinitely (i don't actually expect them to drop it anytime soon)

the same nvidia rumours also say part of the delay is because amd bought up the extra capacity

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

on that subject it'll be pretty interesting to see what the conditions for those truly excellent geekbench numbers are. it lists the frequency at 3.2 ghz, but it is probably optimistic to expect it to sustain that clock (individual geekbench tests are pretty short). plenty of room to throttle back a bit and still be extremely high performance though.

assuming legitimacy with the air, etc, i am going to cackle when the mac mini puts out numbers that exceeds any mac they’ve shipped except, I suppose, the new 13-inch pro

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

sonatinas posted:

remember the old 12 inch G4’s that were just hot irons

turns out apple figured out male birth control decades ago

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

inferis posted:

say what you will about first gen apple products but I’m still using the original 2012 retina and they replaced the top and bottom case and logic board for free right before support ended in december

same except they’d run out of parts for mine and gave me a ram upgrade for free instead when they replaced the board

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Plorkyeran posted:

windows 3.1 had customizable color schemes with a dark option

stoked for ios 15 hot dog mode

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mad Wack posted:

wow they somehow made mail.app slower and worse at search

I honestly haven’t used mail.app since I left a job like 6 years ago

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Amethyst posted:

Just checked out the new big sur “security” features. You are honestly an idiot if you continue using macs.

is this about the list of apps or iMessage or what this time

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

gently caress SNEEP posted:

i didn't hold it (correctly) all night, like a precious baby, i am ashamed :(

no wonder, it was lonely and trying to stay warm the poor thing

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

infernal machines posted:

i received my mini iphone 12, for some reason it shipped with ios 14.1 and it's taking an inordinately long time to update before i can restore my backup. it's almost exactly the same size and wight as my iphone se (og), but it doesn't have touch id and it doesn't lay flat on the table. it's impossible to say if it's good or not

actually jealous sort of

me too. seems like a waste otherwise.

e: also can't use my phone to listen to music until monday at the earliest since timb decided not to ship a $10 headphone adapter with my $950 phone and the place that sells apple accessories down the street isn't open sundays

too bad your speakers are broken

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lord funk posted:

can you imagine if other gear had its own proprietary dongle for headphones

like if your nintendo switch had a $20 cable so you could play with ear buds

i've literally stopped listening to podcasts and such because i misplaced my dongle my last move. i loving hate it

buy some bts, they're actually good now and i have real good headphones i still use

anyway they're hardly the first, i've had a bunch of phones that had mini-USB dongles for the headphone jack pre-iphone (lookin' at you HTC)

tbh i use bluetooths most of the time anyway and i still have the Good SE as my phone just because i manage to catch the wires on loving everything god drat these big cabinet handles

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

in re headphone chat i recently washed my etymotics, p sad

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

MagSafe is confusing though

loving magsafe how does it work

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

magsafe was awesome in my bitsy air and sucked rear end on my mbp. put notebook in lap (I know) or on basically anything that’s not any kind of hard surface, pop goes the magsafe.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Oneiros posted:

the og magsafe design was much better

ain’t wrong

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

they've put out some pretty piss-poor minis in the past so i wouldn't hold my breath. i still wonder if the next iteration isn't just going to look like an apple tv since they'll literally be using the same chips.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Baxate posted:

if you actually gave a crap you’d have a lightning/usb headphone amp by now. just lol at using a tiny lil built in phone dac with your “good” headphones

the iphones aren’t that bad though, compared to some devices that aren’t specifically targeting “audiophiles” and besides a number of “good” headphones don’t actually require any more power than that to the extent that an amp is basically wasted on them

I guess if you’re using a pair of high resistance cans tho go hog wild

dragon enthusiast posted:

wish the 12 mini was smaller. it's just slightly too large to one hand and I can't touch stuff on the upper left part of the screen without shifting my grip

isn’t it just barely bigger than the se? I like small phones but not sure I’d want anything smaller. or do you think they should stick with the og se sized screen and shrink the bezels, etc., accordingly? not trolling but I think battery life would be considered unacceptable by many at that point even if you thickened ‘er up a bit

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

barely bigger is still noticeable if you're switching from the original model se. the main thing is the screen extends higher and lower on the face than the se's did, so while you could comfortably reach the top and bottom of the se's screen with your thumb without adjusting your grip, you may not be able to with the mini

ok that's fair. i will say that i finally actually want a new iphone now; i sidegraded from 6s+ to my SO's se some time ago (like a couple years i guess) and i love everything about it except very occasionally the screen feels cramped

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

poty posted:

it got pulled when the imac switched to 5k screens probably because for a long time there was no display port tech able to move the data needed for 5k

displayport 1.4 over thunderbolt has been a thing for about a year so its possible it could come back in the arm imac refresh. would be neat as heck

especially since they could really pull off the one cord thing easier these days imo

tbh i’m pretty skeptical most could tell any difference, with good implementation and set up, between wireless and wired cans

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Crime on a Dime posted:

what about the difference between the apple dongle and blueooth. how would you describe the dac in Bluetooth cans

i don't get your question

bluetooth headphones used to be really noticeably inferior because transmission rates and lovely codecs pushed heavy compression, they sucked power, etc. better bluetooth standards and better codecs have substantially ameliorated that and i think that most people, again, would have a hard time differentiating between a high-end pair of wireless headphones and a good pair of wired ones.

of course wireless is always going to be more expensive for a given level of quality

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol gross

seems like the mba ssd is 2700/2200 r/w, which, fine? who cares. also I guess adobe learned their lesson (lol) and put out photoshop beta with support.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

just a drawing but https://twitter.com/rhl__/status/13...se-not-original

shows the minimal size differences. reviews are about as someone suggested earlier, that physically there’s little difference but the mini is ever so slightly more awkward because there’s just more screen to navigate with your thumb

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

tbh I’d love an iPhone that is as tall as new mini, maybe slightly shorter, and much more narrow. iMessage, email, basic web browsing, a couple of apps designed for the ui, and a camera. then a bigger device that’s for everything else. it’s an unreasonably luxury idea, i know, but i like the flexibility of going light when i really want to, and having a big display when i don’t. the apple watch would theoretically do some of this but you’re obviously not going to, say, read on one.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

haha the new mac mini draws 4 watts at idle, that's kind of awesome

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

TwoDice posted:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-thunderbolt-hub apparently such a thing is now possible

maybe only for tb4 or usb4? who knows

so close and then they go and put some dumb-assed barrel connector on it for power

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

big sir is the best looking os in years

weird to call timb an os

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I think that’s a pretty good take on things though the fan / noise sitch is still an ace imo. Apple has always been tops on power draw esp on desktops. I’m less sure about the laptops.

either way yeah should be a while before everyone catches up

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Soricidus posted:

just had https://www.stormfront.co.uk/ pop up in my google results and lolled once again

i private windowed that link because i'd never seen the site before but that's p lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Zam Wesell posted:

same, even tho the m1 is impressive af

clearly you are not a ~pro

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

the "pro" part of mac pro is to make your office look "professional"

literally a thing, wasn't part of the whole powermac thing getting colleges and offices to put them on top of the desks as free advertising

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I’m v skeptical of foundation tv but I’m still going to watch every ep

I like the space show, it’s really just neat to look at, the moon scenes are the best I’ve seen I think

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/jaymelbe/status/1329166147162402817?s=21

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

one of everything in the right column, thanks

idk I do like apples

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I’m into the idea of a touch bar but also wish it kept some hw keys for esc, volume, and brightness (split would be fine for the latter two). I don’t care about the rest being permanent.

but I can’t fathom wanting to give myself more email notifications! literally the only notifications any mobile devices are allowed to give me are calls, iMessage, and alarms.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

LibCrusher posted:

can an M1book air run multiple 1080p monitors if you use one of those HDMI splitter things that makes the compruter think it’s driving one 4K display?

your only option at this point is to pick up a displaylink USB adapter, I’m pretty sure. for a 1080p display it should be fine for 2d stuff for the most part, but I don’t have an m1 to test that guess

poty posted:

how do you like them

oh you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

WilWheaton posted:

Lovin this forbes review where the m1 machines get poo poo on maybe has some decent points among a sea of poo poo, but its hard to take seriously because all the pictures are photos of a laptop screen instead of screenshots

https://www.forbes.com/sites/patrickmoorhead/2020/11/21/apple-macbook-pro-13-m1-reviewwhy-you-might-want-to-pass/?sh=6b2b8987786a

moorhead worked for amd for years before starting his “strategy” company, which is really just tech blogging that charges more money to private companies for ‘reports’ and advice they could get by just reading the internet. that’s when he started blogging on forbes’ blog platform. he’s not really worth listening to imo.

fwiw most of forbes’ content these days isn’t actually forbes, it’s just trading on that brand. it’s like blogspot for c*os