Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Louisgod posted:

Shame Xenoblade 2 has turned into a loving generic predictable anime shitfest instead of the pioneer the first game was. The thing that made the original such a standout was how it broke traditional JRPG tropes (inns, saves, battles, you name it) but also offered a cast that was incredibly likable and a story that had really cool "WHAT THE gently caress" moments. The anime tropes that were in it were overshadowed by what the game got right.

I'm still holding out that XB2 has decent characters and a fun story and I can get over the other poo poo if the environments are fun to explore. It just seems Monolith has lost sight of what made the original game such a success and have fallen back to what made JRPGs stale and boring. At least the soundtrack is incredible.

e: ugh the Tales games have TERRRRRRRRRRIBLE plots. Abyss's story was so loving bad.

Xenoblade 1 was anime as gently caress sorry.

Plus TOB has a great plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tae posted:

Is xenoblade anime deniers the video game equivalent of flat earthers

Flat Earthers at least have never personally experienced the globe.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Endorph posted:

yes, the japanese did in fact make decently written games before xb1. a lot of them had way better writing than xb1, in fact!

I disagree with this but yeah XB1 isn't exactly in a class all it's own.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I started the game in with the Japanese voice pack but I just can't stand missing out on the during/after combat banter, which was one of the best parts of XC1, and it's not subbed. Onward to the extremely British voices, I guess.

It's okay the British voices own.

With the exception of when Rex yells, that needed a retake

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

voltcatfish posted:

Pyra is cool, even if her accent is weird

Her accent is weird in that she doesn't have one.

While the rest are British as gently caress.

Which owns

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Tae posted:

I would rather have good na va direction instead of bad eu voice direction just because "it's different"

Thankfully we don't have to deal with this hypothetical

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It's.....not a bad dub.

It's pretty good! With some exceptions

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

No its pretty bad. Like, even if you think all the voice acting is perfectly fine, lines being repeated extremely frequently is obviously a problem. Also none of lines sync up with the actual models mouths which creates a huge disconnect.

Oh I don't care about any of that.

Because it isn't very important

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Well a lot of people would disagree with you on that. Regardless, those are all parts of what could actually be considered a good dub. So even if it doesn't bother you saying the game has a good dub is pretty silly.

There's no reason you can't have both of those things in a modern triple A game. Not like they are paying out the nose for the most proficient actors anyways.

A lot of people believe the earth is flat, you can believe what you want. Doesn't mean I have to take it seriously.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

mabels big day posted:

Hey about how far into chapter 4 should I expect to get a new party member. I want to use these cores but I don't want to use them until I have another driver in my party

Soon from what I understand and yeah you want to save up the crystals because the new one starts with only one blade putting then at a massive disadvantage

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Which Salvagepoint is the one with the spawn that is a guarantee rare and common crystal?

I would like to get more unique blades but I don't have a lot of cores so might as well grind a bit

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Zore posted:

The salvage point right near where you first arrive in Mors Ardain has a high chance of pulling up Krabbles which always drop common cores and a rare drop of rare cores. You get guaranteed rare cores if you overkill them with a chain attack.

Aren't chain attacks the one you use the plus button to proc?

When do you use them? I assumed after the three chain combo but that doesn't seem to work.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

voltcatfish posted:

Am I this stupid or is it normal to wander around for hours not knowing where to go to progress the story at all? (Start of Ch.3)

Following the arrow isn't helping

If your lost use fast travel to pinpoint were you got to go.

It's map is way more useful

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lessail posted:

Also she's better than Pyra

She doesn't do anything.

Honestly the character swap thing seems kind of pointless as Mythra has no real character outside of giving exposition.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Duckula posted:

Anyone just want to give up on this game at points? The map is so loving useless there might as well not be one.

Tiger Tiger can gently caress off too, an endless grind and you get kicked out to the menu each time.

Some of the gameplay designs in this game are baffling in how backwards they are.

Edit: All the NPC names are terrible, all the location names are terrible.

Then just stop playing if your that desperate to hate it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Why are people obsessed with salvaging in that one specific spot? It seem like once you get the golden cylinders most spots are fine.

Easy to get to and the buttons are literally just A three times

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Bass Bottles posted:

Well I am watching the credits now. Of course the big QOL patch comes out like an hour before I finish the game lol

I would say that 60% of the story went completely over my head. I can’t keep track of these bizarre terms and rules, etc, but I enjoyed the characters and how they related to each other. It was a nice story and the combat gameplay was ridiculously fun. What a ridiculous, sometimes infuriating, but also really special, game.

The post-credits happy ending twist is nice but it’s also sort of weird that his semi-monogamous relationship has now become polygamous via strange magic?????

Also I’m looking at my screenshot of the chain attack that finished off the final boss and it gives you 99999 EXP!! But the game is over so it doesn’t matter! Rude!!!

To be fair the relationship is poly either way, they just arent awkwardly sharing a body anymore. Which is good as that would get weird

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Man I can not get any Cubic diamonds or whatever for the poppi side quest.

Though I did get a rare blade from my first Legendary.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Go to Upper Level > Ruined Laborers’ Bridge in Skip Travel. Once there, head up to the nearby stairs and that top of them, there’s a collection point that is a guaranteed drop (for me it was at least). Repeat by skip traveling back to the Ruined Laborers’ Bridge until you have what you need.

Yeah I did that and the drop happened every time, thanks

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

I asked the same thing like 80 times. Gotta go to the Gates of Ulcaria skip travel spot. There will be a place nearby you can use ice mastery to make a bridge to another island that if you climb all the way to the top you get a secret location and the Airborne Throne skip travel spot. On that island is an ice ramp that if you slide down will launch you to the island with the quest (It's quest is to go to Airborne Throne).

You have to jump midway tho or you will fall short.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

Hmm, I've been to the airborne throne for Ursula and didn't see a ramp or anything. I'll have to go look again I guess.

It sticks out on the upper level of that area, also there is no skill check. It just happens,

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Everyone poo poo talks the old factory but it was insanely easy.

At the same level none of the enemies really had them power to be a threat and I finished it in like 15 minutes, not counting the boss.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

MechaX posted:

I'm in the middle of the Old Factory and it's just annoying so far.

I was also not too fond of how the game decided to completely stonewall my progress until I shoved several loaves of bread in Poppi's mouth to get a mandatory ability.

I never had to do that and I barely even use the pouches.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

No it doesn't?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Why are your arts slow in chapter five.

Two hits should be recharging by now.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Pierson posted:

Is it true all salvage points in the game give the same loot and the only differences are the level of mobs they spawn? Just got to the first area that sells gold cylinders and I want to go to town.

No? Each town has its own salvage as each trader trades his own poo poo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Taear posted:

A pretty convincing post on Reddit (or gamefaqs maybe) said that rare cores don't increase your chance of getting a rare blade. They just increase the amount of crowns a standard blade would get. This definitely fits with my experience where a rare core has never, ever given me a rare blade. But they're getting me ones with more crowns than a normal one each time.
Do you know how many non-story rares you had at the point you did this?

A person here also said that you seem to be capped on how many rare blades you can get per chapter. There's a lot of people who use hundreds and hundreds of cores and never get squat and every single time it turns out they're on a particular chapter and already have a host of blades.

I never expect a Japanese game company to release what the formulas behind things are but it'd still be nice to know these things. Too much is anecdotal and it's hard to know if it's really that way. Maybe some people are so unlucky that they can use 150 cores and get no rares at all, but it doesn't feel right, I guess.

I have only gotten rare blades from rare cores.

I stopped bothering with common cores.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Pray

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

This is not an excuse for poor design. If I have to do the game designer's work for them, I might as well have been hired in their place.

Only if you assume they want you to know.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

bizarre deformity posted:

Is this actually proven to be true?

I got all of the rare blades rather easily and I boosted the luck of whoever opened the crystal.

Like I at most opened like 150 the whole game

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Tae posted:

I haven't looked through the event viewer recently, but I imagine Welsh Nia will make certain scenes godawful. And up to chapter 6, Mythra has not gotten better at all. Whatever direction she was given was basically NyQuil while chewing on cottonballs.

I have seen most events and Niah is great in all.

Pyra isnt bad just okay, she isnt really asked to do much tho.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Good voice direction is crucial for my enjoyment of voice acting, and I don't think the English direction is very good. Shame, I prefer not listening to squeaky bullshit

Luckily the game really doesn't do that.

Outside Dalias quest.

Which yeah is pretty bad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

chumbler posted:

"These aren't the people who attacked your guards, Morag."

Except for all the guards I murdered while trying to find out who was murdering the guards.

They attacked you.

So nothing you said was a lie

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Either way naming your villain after a theme is the definition of being hamhanded.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Y'all got some really weird hang ups.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Anime is a bullshit descriptor as anime encompasses many genres.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Taear posted:

It's not and the only people who think that are people who love it. Xenoblade cutscenes are all this and most people would understand this style to fit what's being said when people call the game "anime".

A lot of people are dumb yeah.

They also tend to try and explain why the thing they like isn't anime, like XB1.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jan 3, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Taear posted:

XB1 is still anime, it's just nothing even close to this. Or to the last game.
Other people know exactly what it means when you say something is "really anime" in the same way as you'd understand it if a person said something was "like a soap opera". Sure it doesn't mean 100% the same thing from person to person but it's enough to understand.

Because it means "thing I don't like" which is so generic it fits anything.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

People don't complain about XB1 being anime because they like it and desperately dont want it to be that. Because people in the games forum have really weird hang ups about anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

And you have this really weird hangup of never actually discussing any of the complaints people have about the game and instead just try to insult the posters themselves both here and in the JRPG thread. Before it was the idea that feature bloat was just a codeword for things I don't like, now anime is a codeword for things I don't like

Both true statements yes.

Which was weird for the bloat complaint as you can just say you don't like a mechanic rather than using a phrase incorrectly.

Hell most his complaints about anime stories could just as easily be used to describe western stories as well.

XB2 is a generic story but nothing particularly anime (whatever that means)about it

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 3, 2018