Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm taking a break from monhun to see what this Soloman's Key game is.

Edit: that's enough! Back to monhun.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
There is too much praise for Mario and Rabbids a few pages back. I need to be a voice of dissent. I was attracted to it because many people drew parallels with it and XCOM. I love XCOM. I hated Rabbids.

I'll concede they are similar, in terms of positioning and unit skills, but Rabbids is much more of a puzzle game than an XCOM game. Most missions have an ideal way to accomplish the objective. My experience was one of trial and error and restarting missions to hit the bonus goals, which are a huge source of skill points.

Let's talk about skill points more. The other way to accumulate them is solving boring environmental puzzles in a confusing to navigate overworld.

The game has lots of good ideas but gating skills behind a terrible skill point system and the trial and error nature of the missions was a deal breaker.

If you like the sense of accomplishment you get from XCOM from being clever and salvaging a poo poo show, look elsewhere. If you must describe Rabbids in terms of another game, go with Fire Emblem. That game seems to have an ideal way of beating each mission, which is also why that series doesn't click with me. If you dig FE, then you'll probably enjoy Mario and Rabbids.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Andrast posted:

XCOM works fine when played ironman style though. It's just difficult.
Agreed. XCOM is at it's absolutely best when played as an "oh poo poo" simulator in which you need to cleverly get yourself out of bad situations.

The only time save scumming is warranted is when your squad gets hosed by bugs (glitchy bugs not alien bugs).

Bombadilillo posted:

Also lol at someone saying rabbids was more trial and error. Xcom built around quick saving and replaying missions if you get too hosed. Just lol.

Andrast posted:

Not that I agree with rabbids being trial and error either.

You don't think that a mission which requires one of your characters to get hit by an enemy knockback attack to reach the goal doesn't require trial and error?

You don't think missions in which you must reach a specific location in a limited number of turns doesn't require some trial and error to figure out what movement abilities are required and how much to improve said movement abilities?

Over the years I've played handfuls of strategy games and I still had to restart most missions in this game to finish in the amount of turns required for "bonus" skill points. If you don't care about the extra skill points and coins then yes sure there's no trial and error necessary. But without those skills points and coins how do you improve your skills and weapons? Trial and error is necessary.

Maybe I'm bad at that game!

Regardless, I don't like it, but it's not a bad game! I wish I knew better what it was before buying it. People are quick to say it's Mario XCOM, however what makes XCOM one of my favorite games is sorely missing from Mario and Rabbids.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

Is it obvious if you go through a door with the Master Key? I did get to one door after getting my sword and shield which was locked.

Also I made at least 10 attempts to kill the Asylum demon with the broken sword before I realised there was a door. I was thinking it couldn't have been right that I was only doing 2 damage to the guy.

The key question is a good one. I don't remember if the game notifies you about what key is used when you open a locked door.

The Asylum Demon is a great first boss. It's big, its imposing, and it's scary. However it also shows the player to pay attention to their surroundings!

Oh what I'd give to play Dark Souls for the first time again.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm fighting the urge to buy DS1 for the fourth time. It doesn't feel like a battle I'm winning.

Also does DS3 Switch require one to beat story mode once before adventure mode becomes available?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Snowmankilla posted:

Ton's of sweet games on sale right now, and I picked up Dark Souls for 28 bucks. So in a few days I will be another newbie begging for advice on here. I am excited!

Where does Dark Souls cost $28?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
How does Dark Souls online component work with putting the system to sleep/going to the home screen? If I sleep the system will the game reconnect automatically next time I play it?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Switch DarkSouls is my first ever DarkSouls and seeing bloodstain ghosts dodge backwards over a cliff or off a walkway still hasn’t gotten boring for me lmao

Yesterday I died fighting the Taurus Demon while carrying 19k souls and 5 liquid humanity.

No problem.

Until I ran out of the bonfire room in Undead Burg, took an immediate hard left turn, and ran directly off the platform.

It made me wish bloodstains reported what the player lost at that death because my stain would be loving hillarious!!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Looper posted:

i helped people beat gaping dragon a whole bunch last night and then made it to the bottom of blighttown without dying 8)

then i got ohko's by quelaag's explosion move lol

I helped people fight the GD last night too! I did it to fund purchasing armor from the vendor nearby. The helm looks much goofier in the menu than it does on my dude. :(

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

It's causing something to break in my brain lol. It's like half of my muscle memory expects the PS style buttons from 10 years of playing Souls there, and the other half knows I'm holding a switch and is expecting the reverse confirm/back buttons and it's totally screwing with me.

I'm honestly also half tempted to remap the controls because R1 really isn't comfortable to use all of the time, but I just can't bring myself to do it cause I want normal Souls controls.

It's really not too bad but it's definitely a little awkward to play compared to using a normal controller.

Hey I had a similar awful experience coming to Dark Souls on Switch. I also had the (in retrospect) fortunate situation of coming from 100+ hours of Monster Hunters. Here's my definitive guide to make Dark Souls in handheld work great:

Map the attacks to A and B, however you like it (I have light attack on A).

Map sprint to RZ.

Map interact to R1.

Now, the only thing you NEED to be careful with attack on A and B when talking to NPCs. R1 advances dialogue when it's subtitles, when you're in menus A cancels and B confirms. If you accidently press B during subtitles you'll attack through them and smack the merchant (I murdered the undead merchant in the Burg about 2 minutes after changing these controls).

This setup is way, way nicer than the default controls and I like it much better even with a pro controller. I have MHGU to thank for the inspiration. I recommend you do give this setup and whirl.

Also play MHGU cause it's the best time I've had on the Switch!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I'm playing through dark souls for the first time and I am enjoying it quite a bit, but I need to ask: do later games clean up some of the jank? The camera is loving atrocious and has caused my death several times, terrain geometry is poorly communicated, the enemy ai is...something else...

Like I said, I'm enjoying it, it's just a lot rougher around the edges than I expected from years of hearing how great it is

There is some jank in the game, yea. But TBH it's never bothered me because the majority of the game is the best game and I don't notice it. The camera can get weird especially in tight areas. What have you noticed about enemy AI? It's never done anything to make me question it. Feels like a video game to me. I'm not arguing with you if it's an issue or not I'm just curious.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My biggest reservation about buying console D3 is how much better the game is with a custom sound track, especially when playing Barbarians. I remember the God of War 3 soundtrack going very well with eviscerating monsters as a hulking badass from the north.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I don't notice the "bad sound" in Dark Souls. Maybe my ears are broken.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
GU cat chat-

If I do gathering quests as a Prowler, should I be playing a gathering cat, bringing along two gathering cats, or both?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Does anyone have the perpetual save flame issue in Dark Souls? After the clocks changed, my game is saving constantly unless I switch my time zone to Tokyo. If I change back to New York the save flame reappears and never goes away.

(I know the game saves frequently, my issue is a save flame that never goes away.)

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

THE loving MOON posted:

I'm not embarrassed. :colbert: I don't know anybody who solo'd them first time who didn't resort to some kind of bizarre cheese to win

Sup!

I'm glad you figured out how best for you to take those two jerks. Now you can continue playing the most fun video game. :D

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Does Enter the Gungeon on the Switch the same amount of content as the PC version?

This game looks pretty fun and it's the same price on Steam as it is on Nintendo's eShop.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

BisterdDave posted:

Super Mario U Deluxe is at a decent price on Amazon, so I went ahead and preordered it. I never played it on the Wii U, but if my wife and I enjoyed playing New Mario Bros on the Wii, will we also like this one?

It's a very fun game. My wife and I played it from beginning to end in coop and it was a blast. A+ gaming decision.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is Marvel Ultimate Alliance those XMen Legend games?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I know it’s Smash day, but even though I got off work early I ended up having to wait for the mailman, so in the meantime I ended up beating Smough and Orenstein, and boy howdy that was one of the best fights I’ve ever had I’m a bideo james.

I played smash for about an hour and turned it off to resume my dark souls play through #50037463628. Something about it is not clicking with me the way every other smash has. I may be too tired for it. Hopefully my opinion changes after a full night's sleep.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

What's everyone's preferred stand for their Switch? There's the Hori one, the Amazon knockoff of the Hori one, the official Nintendo one, I've seen one made of metal that also looked kind of precarious, I'm not sure what to get.

I use the Wii U stand. I use that and for everything. Holding the Switch next to my bed and on my computer desk, holding my phone behind the sink so I can watch stuff while I work in the kitchen, I could keep going but you get the idea. It's a handy little stand and I didn't have to buy something that would become clutter in a few years.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

Sounds like you bought a Wii U though?

Several years ago, yes. Now the stand I never used with the Wii U has a purpose. 😀

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

The standard dock is about the size of a 400-500 page mass market paperback book. I don't see the problem or inconvenience in traveling with it.

Paperback books are solid. If weight is applied to a book there is an effectively non-zero chance it's going to snap. If weight is applied to the dock there is a real chance it's going to snap. It's quite evident why traveling with the dock isn't ideal. Surely you've given thought to how items may or may not break when packed for traveling?

CYBEReris posted:

configuring my toaster into a dock so that every time i play docked my switch comes out nice and crispy

How does this affect the matte finish?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Can someone explain how Lumines works? I can't figure it out from the video on the eShop. It looks like something my wife and I would like playing together.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

Kinda like this:

https://youtu.be/109lbBis4ww

Note: I am not a pro; you want to be setting up huge conglomerations just ahead of the scoring line. I just like the challenge of going for the "only one color"/"clear board" bonuses.

It's also the only game so far where I explicitly prefer the joycons, and separated at that.

Oh this makes sense. I thought there was a component involving timing your clears with the music.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Gang fights are annoying. I think the most annoying gang fight I've done so far is the Kirby gang with Star Rods. There was also a group of rolling Jigglypuffs on a lava floor stage.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Imagined posted:

Felt ridiculous getting Hollow Knight and Into the Breach today even though my boy just got Smash, Let's Go Pikachu and Labo for Xmas but drat, they're never going to be cheaper than $5. Switch library is starting to look like my Steam library, which is beautiful.

How does one buy Into the Breach for $5?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Okay, I was thinking that something like that would be sufficient The cold I'm talking about is more common NY/PA/NJ winter weather then say the midwest. Guess our first stop will picking up a case at GameStop. I figure after that I can wrap it in a warm coat I keep in the car (for hiding it if nothing else). .

I live in PA and my Switch has survive inside its case in my car for a few days at a time in the winter. It's survived in it's case in my backpack walking around Philly in the winter months. If I leave it in my car I hide it under a blanket I keep in the car for emergencies which gives it another buffer from the elements. I suspect the worst thing cold can do to a Switch is drain the battery quicker than normal.

I wouldn't leave it in a car in the summer time.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Over There posted:

With Monster Hunter World I rushed the story missions to open up everything. Should I do that with Generations Ultimate or is there no need?

There is no story in GU. Just open up whatever you want. It's great.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Nintendo should make a new fighting game called "Sword Bitches" and move every fighter that uses a sword in Smash into the new game.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
So if I were to make a new Nintendo account for another region, in my case Mexico to buy Into the Breach for $5, the new account needs to have a unique profile on my Switch, correct? After I buy the game do I need to keep the account on the Switch to play it with my account?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I just remembered to redeem gold coins for the games I purchased this year. It allowed me to purchase Into the Breach for $0.96. :)

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What is happening in Lumines when the game says "pass" and moves my block dropper to the left or right?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I think I got maybe one moon in the Odyssey post-game. I should probably pick that up again, one of these days

(e) No that's a lie, I did a fair chunk of Mushroom Kingdom

I played Odyssey for the first time since April yesterday. I collected 20+ post game moons. It was glorious. Nintendo makes fun games. Go back and get those those moons!!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Into the Breach is the strategy game I've been wanting since Rabbids was a disappointment for me. It's such a wonderful blend of grid based tactics and managing terrible situations ala XCOM. It's lovely and fun as heck. It makes you feel smart and clever in all the right ways. For example I played a mission in which I had a special unit for the map that could freeze any unit, mine or the aliens...

Enemies emerge from the ground each turn and you have one turn of advance notice where the emergence(s) will occur. If you position one of your units over a hole it'll block the enemy from emerging each turn it sits there, but it'll take one damage when the alien attempts to come out. I parked my mech that punches on top of a hole next to another alien. I punched the alien to death, then froze my own mech! Frozen units remain frozen until damaged and while frozen they are immune to damage. So my frozen mech blocked the alien from emerging and the damage normally dealt was negated by breaking the ice, freeing my unit for it's next turn. Then I broke the game's systems even more by using another one of my units to attack and knock another enemy next to my punch mech. Punched that alien into oblivion, froze the mech, and blocked the alien from emerging again.

What a fun game full of systems to exploit. :D

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
For those who did the tape fix in the pro controller, did you tape over the contacts and add a small build up of tape over the dpad pivot or just tape the contacts?

I'm applying my third attempt of tape to contacts because button presses aren't registering regularly. I also have a small build up of tape on the pivot. I'm slowly exposing more of the contacts with each reapplication. If the dpad is still problematic once the controller is back together I'm thinking about making a thinner piece for the pivot.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
It's working and it's glorious!!!

Contact tape was not the problem. I made a new pivot half the width of the initial pivot and it's perfect!!

E: 20 minutes of Lumines and not a single accidental drop. :)

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 4, 2019

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

enojy posted:

Is this still a problem with Pro controllers? Jesus, I'm honestly surprised that Nintendo hasn't gotten in any deep poo poo for this yet, or at the very least, made any effort to fix it. $70 faulty controllers.

I bought this controller in December 2017. I knew it was a dud dpad but I never had a game or affected until I bought Lumines on Sunday.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
While we are on controller chat:

I need one more controller for my Switch and I'm torn between the SN 30 Pro+ or a dongle that'll let me use one of my Wii U Pro controllers. Any opinions on the Pro+ or experiences using a Wii U Pro with the Switch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
All the Nintendo-made Switch controllers feel like garbage quality. A huge departure from every other Nintendo controller. One of two of my original SNES controllers still works perfectly and it was only in the past two years the other one started having problems. Contrast that to the joycons which, out of the box, have shoulder buttons that feel like they're going to break next week.