Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I don't know if it's a full improvement in writing or just being familiar with the characters from the beginning but Lasso S2 has felt way funnier than S1 already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The saga of Phoebe's breath was excellent, and I liked that even though it wasn't doing much with the main plot we did get some more of post-divorce Ted.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They’re setting up a house of cards to be knocked down. It will almost certainly be Higgins knocking it down based on how he twitches every time someone mentions Sam in episode 4.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

pzy posted:

Apparently in You've Got Mail, Meg Ryan's username was "shopgirl" and Tom Hanks' was "NY152"

I like the idea it's Beard
Doesn’t Beard already have a partner though?

Zero One posted:

Now I have my only comment about this week: Roy continues to be the best.
This is a fact, he’s the superstar of the season so far. It’s going to be fun to see him presumably clash with Jamie again, and possibly also Nate given how he looked at the end next to Roy, that assertiveness bit is probably going to come up again.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Spacebump posted:

The stakes were getting relegated out of the Premier League. This episode they casually mention the team could get relegated out of the Championship and it doesn't seem to bother anyone the same despite this being worse. It is already hard enough for them to justify their current roster in the league they are in but if they fell into an even lower league keeping most of the roster or any coaches wouldn't make sense. I'm sure the back half of the season will deal with this, it just feels odd atm.

This is another thing thrown into weirdness by the Christmas episode where they showed their record as 4-4-11, which is not great but not in serious relegation danger. For reference the relegation zone in the Championship last year started at 43 points, Richmond's record less than halfway into the season has them with 23.

I did appreciate this episode doing The Sheffield Wednesday Joke.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Winning the Premiership would be a stretch, but I can totally see an FA Cup win.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There are 46 games in a Championship season and the Christmas episode showed results for 19, they’re not even halfway in yet.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Inspector 34 posted:

How does promotion/relegation work? Does it happen every single year? Or only if there is a team good/bad enough to trigger that function?

Bottom 3 go down no matter what. In the Football League (Championship/League 1/League 2 yes it's confusing) the top 2 are automatically promoted, then 3rd to 6th play in the playoffs for the 3rd promotion spot. So every year 3 teams go down into the league below them, the top 2+playoffs winners go up to replace them.

So in the real world last year, Fulham, West Bromwich Albion and Sheffield United were relegated from the Premier League. They were replaced by Norwich City, Watford and playoffs winners Brentford.

The English football league pyramid as it's known is big, so a team has to fall a long way before hitting the bottom. Below the 3 Premier League and Football League divisions are the National League and below that are various more regional leagues, including the almighty National League North where my hometown team Hereford FC play. The level of league also dictates what additional tournaments teams are eligible for, this is why the FA Cup is such a glorious competition. It's open to literally any team in the professional system no matter how far down they are.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 23, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There are also some stadium size and facilities requirements as you go higher (similar to motorsport track gradings). I remember there being some concern when I was a kid about a team who could’ve been promoted to the Premiership but might’ve been rejected due to their stadium not being big enough.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There's a fun twist on promotion/relegation in some esports leagues where the teams set for promotion need to beat the teams set for relegation to actually move up to theoretically prevent teams from constantly pinballing around leagues, and give teams who've had a rough season one more chance to stay up.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think the show has done a decent job establishing that even among people who like Ted, the relentless positivity annoys the crap out of them after a while.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The 9to5 Mac podcast brought that up, but the first season had a clearer and more direct antagonist with Rebecca (and also Jamie) in the early stages as well so there was more direct conflict even in those early stages.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Finally got around to last week's Lasso and gently caress yeah we're finally getting Roy and Jamie stuff. Unfortunately we also had to endure Ian Wright trying to act.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you were worried about things not happening in Lasso, suddenly everything is happening. Nate getting a proper bollocking from Beard is something I really want to see play out.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The measure of a TV relationship is how they handle their first proper fight, I think they're going to be just fine.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Nah they get engaged this season married next.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

smackfu posted:

Love that the Apple TV+ execs meddle in their shows just like old broadcast execs. I thought that time was past.

It'll never be done, just like how streaming hasn't meant walls between networks has gone.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

No, you’re meant to be paying to not have the ads. Not paying then paying more to not have ads. Most streaming services will do a pre-roll trailer for something else (that you can skip) but not have full bore ad breaks, that’s meant to be the whole point.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Actually I’ll say my biggest issue with the second season of Lasso, I hate that the episodes are getting longer. A big part of the season one appeal was having episodes be half an hour only, and now they’re pushing into 40-45 minutes.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I mean that's the thing right, piracy was rampant because of how locked down and fragmented everything was, then a few streaming services sprang up and had almost everything for one subscription so piracy died down, now it's all locked down and fragmented again so people are going to start pirating again.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Every media company will have its own streaming service, which means we'll be back down to 3 within a few years since Discovery+ is probably getting merged into HBO Max if they end up merging with Warner Bros. Even the free services in the UK (because the BBC iPlayer established free streaming as a default here super early, as poo poo as the early iPlayer was) keep expanding, especially when Viacom bought Channel 5 and My5 got a good chunk of the Paramount library added to it.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 23, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Worth mentioning for anyone who hasn’t seen it, Foundation has its own thread.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also Calls.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Can't believe the sitcom had a sitcom episode.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think at this point Nate is irredeemable, he’s going to crash and burn or find a place his attitude is rewarded (like whatever club Rupert’s involved with now). I think he’s going to leave Richmond.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

Nate sucks but the other thing that sucks is Jon Stewart's new show. I really wanted to like it and the issue they tackled in the first episode is one that definitely needs more attention but the presentation was absolutely dire. Its heart is in the right place but it's just not good television at all.

I haven't watched it yet but from what I've read he's trying to use the same structure as The Daily Show but with the episode long deep dive format of Last Week Tonight which seems like a bad idea at its core.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Azhais posted:

So is Nate using an Android phone

He was using an iPhone during his Twitter scrolling earlier in the series.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Prestige media and hunting plot holes has poisoned people's brains to where something happening for plot convenience has to be over-analyzed into a pile of dust. I see a lot of parallels with Scrubs when watching Lasso, like how in Scrubs a doctor knocks the head of the hospital out and the minor consequences for this are entirely doled out in the next episode before it's never mentioned again. I never watched Spin City or Cougar Town but I think this is just how Bill Lawrence likes running shows.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

ihatepants posted:

Just out of curiosity, is Apple paying the money to use the premier league rights or is the PL paying for what is essentially advertisement through the show?

The former, no reason for one of if not the biggest league in football to pay anyone for publicity. Especially for the archive material. Good chance for more people to see how cool the Premiership trophy is though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm very glad Nate didn't get his redemption and just dug deeper into darkness.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Seiyal posted:

You know, thinking back on it… did we ever see Nate with an iPhone in this series (so far)?

Yes we did, when he was scrolling Twitter.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Edit: Does anyone remember if seeing Dr. Sharon was ever an option for Nate?

It was an option for everyone at the club.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robobot posted:

Honestly, I could do with out every single romantic relationship they've come up with. Roy/Keeley was fine as a side story, but they were just kinda annoying up until the final episode. They're spinning Keeley as an amazing girl boss, but all we've seen her do is chat about boys with Rebecca, hang out with her boyfriend, and help Nate buy a suit/ask for a table.

I think they should have focused on all the business moves she was making and how it was affecting Roy's insecurities.

She's been constantly shown coming into the locker room to find people for sponsorship stuff, they definitely have shown her being great at finding sponsors and getting deals done.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

What did people think of The Mosquito Coast? My wife and I went in cold, with no information about it at all, aside from Justin Theroux is in it, and we've seen the first two episodes so far. I'm intrigued, but I'm not so sure about my wife. It's heavy and stressful and has strong Breaking Bad vibes for me, but I never read any reviews or opinions of it, good or bad. Did it get ignored or dismissed as it aired, or quickly forgotten about, or just disliked?

I think it just fell through the cracks, it happens to a lot of stuff especially on a relatively small service like TV+. Like I've never seen anyone say anything about most of the TV+ series' outside the really big ones. Acapulco started and I've seen nothing about that, no-one talks about Truth Be Told and Schmigamagoon was basically forgotten after the first episode.

I did enjoy that trailer for The Afterparty that was before Lasso this week though, even though it doesn't seem to be on TV+ and has no release date and jesus christ why is it so hard to just give the app a single library section to show everything.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I still assume it’s Man City they’ll face for the title.

This would be a good one, since I don’t think they’ve beaten them yet.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There's more charisma in Lee Pace's arm than there is in the entire Terminus crew.

Also reminder that Foundation has a thread of its own if you want to chat in more detail.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 11, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think he starts a Youtube channel.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I watched the first episode of Acapulco and I enjoyed it but I'm really growing tired of every comedy on TV+ having to be 'uplifting'.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does Invasion get better? Just watched the first episode out of boredom and I’m pretty sure I came out more bored at the end.

I haven't watched it yet but judging from the reviews, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The main problem people had with it was it made no sense airing a Christmas filler episode in the middle of summer.