Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Any thoughts on Transport Fever 2? I absolutely loved Open TTD back in the day and this looks to be kind of in the same vein. A lot of the reviews say not a lot changed from this game and the original but I never played the original so I'm thinking about checking this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

zedprime posted:

State of Trains 2020

Thanks for this! I forgot about Mashinky and this looks like it might scratch that itch pretty well but I'm not sure if I want to jump in just yet while it's still EA. Does Transport Fever 1/2 do the upgrading cities thing that Transport Tycoon did, where delivering stuff builds up and improves the towns you're delivering to?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

zedprime posted:

That's the entire point of the TF economy. You can't service a route without a consumer of the final good which is cities in sandbox.

Rapacity posted:

In TF2 you can actually service industries now without shipping further products. You won't upgrade industries without doing that though. Its a great train/transport sandbox.

Cool thanks, I think I'ma pick this up then.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mordja posted:

Ubisoft's making a new Might and Magic game!

It's a battle royale autochess

gently caress you for delivering this news in the worst possible way :mad:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Scott Forstall posted:

it went from a peak concurrent of 1 to a peak of 7

I mean, good for the dev, more money is more money, but its an outlier.

Yeah I went to steamcharts after reading this and had to laugh at this. It's still an improvement I guess but the headline of "Improves by 400%" is pretty misleading.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Gonna buy HZD, gently caress yeah. :toot:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I tried Bloodborne on the free trial for PS Now and it was definitely awful. The input lag was terrible from clicking around the menu but I never even got to play the game because PS Now only supports Playstation controllers from what I can tell which I do not have.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dias posted:

I'm playing DQ Builders 2 and gently caress me, I think I might enjoy Minecraft.

To be fair this game actually has objectives and stuff to work towards and looks cute and all. I think it falls right on my sweet spot of "no pressure but here's some poo poo that needs to be done" instead of being a complete sandbox or having some time pressure even when there's "no pressure".

I'm playing this on Switch but yeah this is exactly why I love the game too. You can absolutely take time and make things pretty and dick around building a 50 foot pixel megaman or whatever if you want to but they give you the objectives and you get to work around those to complete them. "Build a room with a door, a light source, and a bed" is what they give you, as long as you meet those requirements you can do whatever the hell else you want to do with the room. I also like the Animal Crossing-esque parts of the game where you're bringing people into the town over time. It's very fun.

I will say that about 30-40 hours in, after you complete the second island with the miners there's a very unfortunately placed section of the game that is very unfun and almost made me stop playing the game entirely. It's not super long, but does take a few hours to get through and really fuckin' drags.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I was pretty obsessed with Grim Dawn for a while, it really is a great ARPG. It doesn't quite have the same legs as POE/D3 but it's not meant to be a games as a service game so it makes sense. Highly recommended if you're looking for a new ARPG to get into.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Quoting myself with an update- put in for a refund after 15 minutes of play. My first opponent was some kind of tutorial/training fight, and he hit me with a critical on his first move and one-shot my dude. The game wasn't built around that happening, so it just kind of... stuck there. Had to quit out and said gently caress it. I know that it's early access but holy crap that's a dumb softlock.

I haven't played this game yet but a friend of mine who played the stress test said this is a scripted thing and you're supposed to get the poo poo kicked out of you in the first fight which leads you to getting another starter pokemon Temtem. If the game hung on you after that it might be related to server side bullshit that sounds like is happening due to the game just officially launching today. It looks like they gave out a 10% off coupon for people who owned their previous game Immortal Redneck (which, surprised the poo poo out of me to see that the devs who made Immortal Redneck pivoted to make an MMO Pokemon game) so I may check it out. I'm cautiously optimistic after seeing some video of gameplay, first I heard of it I assumed it was some China knockoff technically legal Pokemon clone but it seems alright. Might be worth waiting to see how it grows in Early Access before diving in though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think Temtem might be great? It might just be that it plays at a steady 144 fps but it feels super polished and they already have a good foundation of a game here for a Pokémon clone that can actually feel new and different.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I actually really enjoyed both Torchlight games. I can't say I'm upset that this has become just a straight up sequel now but uh this makes me assume that development has been tumultuous at best up until now.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Det_no posted:

Remember that Dying Light Battle Royale they tried to sell a while back? No you don't. It was a horrible flop. Well now you can get it for free if you own Dying Light. Just go to their generic code redeem site:

https://dockets.dyinglightgame.com/account/redeem-codes

The steam charts graph for this game is crazy. Like it would appear that literally nobody purchased this game at all while Dying Light proper still pulls in around 15k players on average. A battle royale with Dying Light mechanics sounds like it should be a winning combination but I imagine somewhere between charging for the game and releasing it next to all these crazy popular F2P battle royale games it really was a complete disaster.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Too Shy Guy posted:

With Cook, Serve, Delicious! 3!? releasing today

Awwhhh what the gently caress that game comes out today? :psyduck:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

StrixNebulosa posted:

It sounds like the dev learned his lesson from the problems with CSD2 and I'm excited to play but I can't buy it until I get my next check and I refuse to pause my ffxiv sub.

The life of a gamer is so hard

Yeah I'm looking forward to it. The restaurant campaign in CSD2 didn't hold my attention and the "Create your own" restaurant felt way too open ended to keep me interested for that long. The gimmick for this one sounded weird at first but after seeing it in action I can't wait to try it out.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

explosivo posted:

Yeah I'm looking forward to it. The restaurant campaign in CSD2 didn't hold my attention and the "Create your own" restaurant felt way too open ended to keep me interested for that long. The gimmick for this one sounded weird at first but after seeing it in action I can't wait to try it out.

I'm a few levels in and CSD3 seems to rectify these issues from the last one which were pretty much the biggest problems I had with it. Now it's very similar to the first in that there's one game mode and you're upgrading your truck/menu as you progress. The food truck thing makes you cater your meal for each stop and hit a certain level of complexity as well. This sorta forces you to use stuff you're not comfortable with making quickly sometimes which is good. I like that this setting is the logical conclusion to the weird background text in the last two games that you'd only see by going out of your way to read the emails and food descriptions that hinted at the world slowly going to poo poo outside of your restaurant.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Communist Bear posted:

Is there a Temtem thread yet? Or anyone here played it yet?

awesmoe posted:

its pokemon but less charming
e: i refunded it after about 90 minutes. It's just the same grinding and rock/paper/scissors, but instead of a psyduck you get....a duck with a shell strapped to its head and instead of squirtle you get...not squirtle. etc.

I've played ~2-3 hours with it and have to disagree with this. Some of the monster names/designs may be uninspired but I think the art style is pretty good looking/clean and the combat animations are very good. They're clearly going for a 1:1 Pokemon recreation so you know what you're getting into with this but they've made some nice small changes to the formula that in my opinion makes it feel like, well, a modern take on Pokemon. It's for sure going for the classic Pokemon experience so it is incredibly grindy due to no exp share but I'm definitely into what I've seen so far and can't wait to see how it improves. It's going to be in Early Access until like Summer of 2021 so there's a ways to go still.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Too Shy Guy posted:

I really do think Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!! is an improvement over the original game, but with so many different, dramatic changes, it probably comes out even for most folks. For my part, I love how open and sandboxy the whole structure is, but I really chafe at how much harder even basic dishes are. The prep stations are a cool idea (and I know they lead to something great in CSD3), but here they only add to the complexity. Anyone who enjoyed the first Cook, Serve, Delicious! should definitely give this a try, just with the understanding that too much has changed to really guarantee anything. If you liked complex orders or disliked the slow progression, you’ll likely appreciate this one more, at least once you work your way through the buffet of changes to the best bits.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that felt this way, the recipes that have three pages of things that I had to keep my eyes glued to the ingredients were the harder ones in CSD1 (like the Lasagna comes to mind) and I did totally feel this jump in difficulty in the sequel and I think it turned me off from the game. There wasn't much of an incentive to pick the harder dishes when you didn't have to so I ended up doing the same easier dishes that would let me get through a shift faster and with less of a headache most of the time. There's still a lot of harder stuff from the start of CSD3 but I appreciate that they've introduced a difficulty multiplier as well as the minimum difficulty requirements to not only force you to go out of your comfort zone but get rewarded for doing it successfully too. I have some issues with keybinds and sometimes hit the wrong key but that becomes less of an issue with more practice. Still though I'd really like it if you could add ingredients in whatever order you want to (especially for something like a Ceviche that just all gets mixed up in the end anyway) or let us scrap an order in the middle of preparing it for a cash penalty or something because you accidentally put the wrong thing in it.

Your screenshot shows controller button prompts, have you tried playing with a keyboard? I tried playing on a controller once and was so drat confused and it felt like I completely forgot how to play the game.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Too Shy Guy posted:

I use store screenshots these days. I only play CSD with the keyboard, the very notion of attempting it with a controller fills me with dread.

Ah okay haha I thought that might've been the case. I can see the argument for the controller, having everything be possible without having to move around a keyboard. I think the dev said he exclusively plays on the controller but I feel like having the letters loosely correspond to the ingredient helps immensely. I want to learn how to use a controller because if I ever want to play co-op I imagine the keyboard would be easier for a newbie but eh. I can't get my gf to play this with me anyway because it's too frantic :smith:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

HopperUK posted:

Too Shy Guy, I bought CSD3 because of you! -- in that your videos and posts are the only reason I knew it was out, somehow. I didn't get on with 2 but I got so much fun out of the first game that I'll pretty much buy whatever that dev cares to make forever.

The dev was on Giant Bomb a few months ago to show off the game and said that he pretty much got shoehorned into making 2 and 3 when he initially didn't plan to continue past the first one because of how much people wanted a sequel, but is really excited to finally not be making a game anything like CSD so yeah I'm curious to see what's next for them.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just tried out the share play stuff with a friend to play co-op CSD3 and it was a lot of fun and worked pretty much flawlessly. The new Chill mode makes it really easy to at least attempt to explain to someone how to play that game without any time constraints.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Just started CSD3 and gap between what I remember of CSD1 and my current gameplay experience is vast.

All my stop-and-starting, confused pauses and panics, completely boofing switching between the orders and the holding stations every 15 seconds... it is the biggest sign of my Ongoing Mental Decline. Bronzes as far the eye can see

If you're struggling, keep in mind that they added the chill mode in 3 that eliminates the time constraint to get orders out fast so you can actually take your time without having to panic. You can only get silvers this way but I imagine this would be a much better way to actually learn the muscle memory for all your dishes instead of panicking the whole time.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

:getin:
Hook this poo poo up to my veins

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I stopped playing it but for a solid week there I was hooked on FS19 and all I was doing was growing fast fields of grass and making/selling bales out of it and that was oddly satisfying.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

credburn posted:

Hey gang, I absolutely love FrostPunk but I loving hate playing it. I'm not even that far into the game. What's really bothering me is that there seems to be a ridiculous amount of micromanagement for a game that doesn't have a UI built around that core idea. I'm only as far as there are people gathering in numbers who want to return to London, but it's already overwhelming. It's difficult, which I would be okay with, if it wasn't so frustratingly tedious as I'm also losing. Uh, I guess, my question is... is that everyone's experience with this game? Does it get better? Does it get less tedious? Is there a "hump" worth overcoming, some part that just needs to be endured so that the real game can start?

I downloaded this again on Gamepass after trying it on Steam and refunding it a while ago and I feel very much the same way about it. I think the setting and concept of the game is great but even halfway through the first mission I find myself getting frustrated with it and closing the game in frustration. I know a lot of it is probably just me not fully understanding how to game the systems in my favor but every time I start a new game I fall behind and feel myself starting to backslide almost immediately.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh hey I actually just reinstalled SOD2 last night to see what's changed before this big patch and I think I'm back into it in a big way. I'm playing the Heartland map right now and I'm still pretty early on but really enjoying myself. I'm definitely liking the new cosmetics stuff for your survivors!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

https://twitter.com/engadgetgaming/status/1237378983949459456
:flashfap:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

MMF Freeway posted:

Ah gently caress I need origin for that don't I?

It's on Steam already for preorder! $20!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I know I don't need a $150 physical collector's edition of a $20 game however I would very much like a tiny obelisk of light to sit on my desk at work :ohdear:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Gort posted:

Huh, Offworld Trading Company is free on the Epic store at the moment. Vaguely interested in that.

It is and I'm not sure how to feel about it. I only got through 4 out of the 6 tutorials but by that point I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep going. It seems like a neat idea but in practice nothing felt particularly interesting about it. I should probably jump into a skirmish before deciding whether or not I want to keep going but it was free so eh.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

StrixNebulosa posted:

trying to look up state of decay 2's patch notes and apparently they know what the max age of a human can be :T

Lol I tried getting on there before and no matter what date I selected the page just refreshed and asked for it again.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

StrixNebulosa posted:

State of Decay 2 went from "unlocking in an hour" to "Coming Soon" and you would not believe how angry people are on the forums, my god. There's everything from demanding refunds to claiming it's canceled and blah blah blah

Not gonna lie I'm working from home but also refreshing the Windows store on my PC every couple minutes to check for the update :ohdear:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's unpacking now! ... Why does this process take so long. Man. Don't preorder games if you're impatient.

Lol you have to uninstall and re-download the whole thing from the windows store if you have the gamepass version :waycool:

Edit: I redownloaded the game as it asked me to and didn't download the Juggernaut edition -_-

explosivo fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 13, 2020

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The new patch for SOD2 seems very good so far. I haven't gotten to play much yet after the update but popped in for a bit earlier and the graphics look much sharper, it feels more optimized, the UI is improved, and there's a new map and weapons. It's still got that State of Decay jank but hits a perfect balance of open world zombie survival game and town/community management thing that is right up my alley.

One lovely change with this patch though is it doesn't look like you can deposit stuff from the back of your truck/car anymore? I used to dump all my stuff in there to quickly deposit everything back at base but it looks like maybe they did away with that for some reason. Gotta walk the bags to the bag dropoff and the loot to the separate deposit point. Kind of a bummer.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

FuzzySlippers posted:

How's the SOD2 multiplayer?

I haven't tried it since the game first came out but apart from the difficulty people seem to be having with it working right now it's actually pretty neat. If someone else hosts you bring in one of your survivors and get to bring whatever you have on you back to your game when you're done.

They do a neat thing with looting too where lootable items in a building show up as different colors, and only you can loot stuff that's your color. To accommodate this they basically double the amount of containers you can loot in a building. If you have 4 people in a session almost every building is filled to the brim with lootable stuff.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

StrixNebulosa posted:

Finally, DLC report:

- haven't touched Heartland yet as it sounds plot-focused and fun and I'm not ready

I'm in the middle of a Heartland playthrough right now and can confirm it's very good. Every zombie on the map is a blood plague zombie so it ratchets up the tension when any time you take damage you get plagued which needs to be healed back at base, so if you get jumped you can get hosed over very quickly. The base they start you in is huge with some large spots for improvements and (I think) some new structures like a Drone tower that let you scout or do bombing runs. There's a plot device that isn't present in any of the normal game modes that you have to work around in this one too so you can clear the town of the blood plague. All in all it's great, when I started I thought it said I'd be able to bring characters into the main game from this when I beat it but it's not looking like that's actually the case which would be a bummer because I've gotten attached to these people :smith:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The Surge 2 is on gamepass now and goddamn I am really enjoying this game! I played a little bit of the first one and thought the idea was cool but it wasn't much fun to play. The sequel feels better in almost every way and the mechanic of "I want that weapon give me your arm" is rad as hell.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Det_no posted:

Noted good game theHunter COTW is stupid cheap right now, at six bucks for the base version and just a little more for the extra trophy lodge (the only DLC I'd really recommend for a beginner, and even that is not necessary):

Anything else in the DLC selection you'd recommend while it's on sale? I played this a bit a while back but fell off because new stuff came out though I've been looking for an excuse to get back into it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Omi no Kami posted:

Is State of Decay 2 worth a look if I'm hankering for the experience of the original, or should I just reinstall Year One and play that again?

The sequel is better than the original in almost every way. If you have the $30 and want to play State of Decay I highly recommend the sequel.

Hub Cat posted:

All of the reserve DLC is decent, Savanna is probably the most novel of them and its a good time to jump back in because they did a major re balance of the weapons and scoring system. After the rebalance none of the DLC weapons are huge game changers but they might be worth picking up if they look interesting to you (Some standouts would be the drilling shotgun, the crossbow and the .30-06 is probably the best midtier rifle). Avoid the goose and duck dlc and the 4x4 scares animals at a good distance so you probably won't use them often. Tents are useful as fast travel to good hunting spots of your choosing and the treestands might be of interest if you enjoy that style of hunting(I prefer stalking so I rarely use them).

Thanks! I might just hold off because I have a feeling I'll play this a bit more and taper off but the price for the Savanna stuff is pretty tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

admataY posted:

World War Z is a surprise free game on EGS, heard its decent and I cant really argue with that price so im gonna check it out .

Hmm, yeah parts of this game looked alright but not enough to pay for it. I already have far too much poo poo to play right now but might as well throw this one on the pile too.