Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

TraderStav posted:

PLEASE KEEP CHUGGING FORWARD AND SHARING EVERY STRAY THOUGHT AND OBSERVATION

This please. It's the only way those of us who have watched it multiple times can live through that spellbinding first watch again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Angry Salami posted:

It's like how there's a voice-activated typewriter in one of Asimov's novels - that sort of combination of the futuristic with the obsolete always amuses me.

It wasn't even a typewriter. It was a handwriting machine, because Arkady Darrel nagged her dad to get a "delightfully feminine script" for it. I always thought that machine was a cool "future toy" back when I first read the foundation series when I was a kid and would never actually happen. Now I shitpost via voice to text on my phone.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

pentyne posted:

Are you all on track to try and stay a few episodes within each other again? If someone is 5 eps in to season 2 and someone starts s3 the whole thread just needs to be blacked out for safety.

Even if someone else starts a blind watch the day the OP finishes the show I'd still want to see them post their thoughts as they view it in this thread. I know i'm not the only one who would be interested in those posts.

This is more the place first time watchers put their thoughts about shows so they don't accidentally read a spoiler so it should be spoiler heavy. Once they're done actual discussion can happen in the other thread.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

There is a specific spoiler free channel for ya'all to either post your takes or links to your blogs or whatevers. The Babylon-5 channel will have spoilers in it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Lobster God posted:

It is a dome. On Earth. EARTHDOME

Earth dome is a sphere. Prove me wrong.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

AntherUslessPoster posted:

I can't bear with you guys

You and I are like Polar opposites. I love puns.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

AntherUslessPoster posted:

I'm too Grizzly for all these the puns.

I'm simply over the Moon over this whole derail.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

ISN bearing heavily on the Fox News line (were they even a thing in 1995?) ISN’s sensationalist right wing reads are common parlance today, but in 1995?

Answer about real news service

Fox news launched 1 year later. And it launched specifically to be a right wing biased news service. The joke at the time was "if you have to call yourself fair and balanced you're probably not"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

How did I miss such an awesome pun?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Fix the spoiler tag.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I don't remember if videogames has reached that point yet. Also, come back videogames!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Multiplex!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Pretty sure it's more a callout about the math involved.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Looking forward to reading about watching some B5 soon.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also other folks might come along and join.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

How hard did Ivanova slap Bester to draw blood like that? Did she have some kind of heavy ring on? Or is his skin so paper thin it cut at the mere touch?

Ivanova is a hard rear end and hates psycorps. The only reason Walker Smith was the first human to fight in the Mutai was because Ivanova was really loving busy in Ops.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Vavrek posted:

I get that this is a fan render looking at a moment that happened offscreen in the show (inasmuch as anything actually happens in that video), but this is the blind watch thread and the video's description talks about plot details. It just makes me uncomfortable, because I'm overprotective of this thread.

Seems perfectly protection level.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, the Lurker's Guide is the same kind of "no spoilers" that this thread has been sometimes by people thinking they're being cute when in fact they're just being assholes.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'm not against reaction videos, and in lieu of our regular blind watchers doing any posting it'd be fine.

I just can't understand her.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I dislike watching anything with closed captioning because I end up just reading instead of watching.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Start watching again when I can, or wait for the reboot?

:thunk:

Even if it goes forward it's going to be a few years. And it's not guaranteed to actually go forward so I'd say keep watching.

Besides, if you don't finish before new B5 comes out then you're going to miss out on pointing out all the changes!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

Jesus a 12 gig 486. That was some serious storage at the time. And no, this isn’t sarcasm. I worked for a phone book company whose entire company was stored on a terabyte (actually one and a quarter) storage array. That was millions of dollars.

The first time I upgraded my hard drive, I went from a 10 meg platter drive to a 40 meg. And I told my friend "holy poo poo I will *NEVER* need to upgrade gain"

Yes I'm old why do you ask?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Worrying about diseases from other species is how we got enterprises decontamination gel scenes. Ignoring it seems like the best option

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

discoukulele posted:

s03e01 – Matters of Honor
  • Revealing himself exhausted Kosh. No one knows it was him.
  • more “You have always been here” business
  • There's been a very noticeable budget increase this season
  • Earth Special Intelligence makes a surprise visit as a mysterious person from another sector shows up.
  • Oh, Londo, I don't think you can just breakup with the Shadows, hun.
  • Most people don't know that alcohol has some kind of negative effect on Minbari
  • Ranger badges are cooled in Holy Water, Minbari Blood, and Human Blood. When the wearer dies it weaps blood and tears.
  • the dude came from Zagros VII in Drazi space where there's a training camp. There's other ones. The Centauri seem to be going after them.
  • Morden is working with Refa. There's a specific planet that the Shadows are targeting - Zagros VII
  • Sheridan is given control of the White Star, which is a combination of Vorlon and Minbari tech. It was designed by and is crewed by the Religious Caste
  • G'Kar's telling Endawi that the Shadows are evil, and I bet Earth is going to jump at the chance to partner up with them.
  • Hell yeah the White Star is holding its own against the Shadows
  • Okay, so Earth/Psi Corps is already in league with the Shadows
  • Official Anti-Shadow War Council established

You haven't mentioned it, so i'm not sure if you've even seen them. But have you been watching the intros?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Alhazred posted:

No, I'm pretty sure it's Zathras.

No, if you go back and look carefully you can tell it's Zathras.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

And the scene where they go on the sleeper ship is exactly like the scene from that TNG episode, right down to rubbing the ice off the cryopod windows and finding some alive and some dead and decayed.

To be fair, this is every single time a cryotube is shown on screen in all movies/tv shows, where some crew find them

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MikusR posted:

You wanted them to shoot the disease?

Wrong sci-fi show. That's Voyager.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The entire show in general is almost more of a stage play than it is a TV show.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I mean, the simple fact that DS9 had an overarching plot, and was like the ONLY star trek to do so for a very long time, tells me they definitely took the pitch and ran with it. I don't think anyone ever claimed they stole the entire pitch line for line though. And DS9 was grittier than other treks at the time.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Winifred Madgers posted:

There are existing blind watch threads here for both, I believe.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3935239

I hope someone else joins me so I don't feel so bad not posting regularly.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Iymarra posted:

And so, it begins.

We've always been here.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

s03e01 - Matters of Honor
"The Babylon Project was our last, best hope for peace. It failed." :drat:

This is always hits me every time I rewatch.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

s03e02 - Convictions
WHY ARE THERE SO MANY CRATES IN DOWNBELOW? Who owns the stuff in these crates? Do they care about any of it? Why did they leave it all sitting in the corridors in the bad part of town?

I am pretty sure those are all empty containers that the lurkers took to use for themselves

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Most of B5's intros are pertinent to the story, but they are the same through the season. So if you see it once, you're good for that season. But I believe the first 1/4 of season 2 SHOULD be skipped on streaming platforms because it actually spoils something in that season.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Zat posted:

It doesn't. The only place where this was an issue was the original US DVD box set. The European DVDs and all the streaming services ever since have the correct intro without the spoiler you're talking about.

Good to know.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Winifred Madgers posted:

Re: s03e16-17 - War Without End, Parts I and II.

Part of the Shadows' advantage is the terror they inspire, not to mention up till now they have usually surprised their targets so they panic and can't get organized until it's too late. They're not usually on the receiving end of someone who's got a plan to take them on.

Yea, it's a lot of this. Also the white stars use of Vorlon technology in their weapon system I think have a lot to do with this. If it had been like 2 narn cruisers focusing it wouldn't have worked I believe.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

alexandriao posted:

Incredible shame to see Ivanova gone :( One of the best characters in the show. Why did she leave? :ohdear:

Without going too deep into details...

The show was ended in season 4, so the actress went on to do other things. Then they got a surprise revival for season 5. But she was already doing other things.

The producers say she backed out.

She says she was fired before she even know the show was back.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sweevo posted:

They could still have done it in a better way than "I am a magic computer ghost deleting ur filez!"

Except they couldn't have because that part was rad af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Oh I never started with "the gathering". Should I bother going back to watch it after season 1 ending?

I have watched the show multiple times and never felt I missed anything from The Gathering. Anything that you need to know gets covered again.