Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Summer Games Done Quick Online 2020 is over! Thanks to all the staff, runners, volunteers, and donators that participated in raising over 2.3 million dollars for Doctors Without Borders!

It was probably inevitable.

For the very first time since its inception in 2011, Summer Games Done Quick will not be a live event, due to the pandemic going on. Originally having been scheduled for June 21st-28th, it initially got postponed to August 16th-23rd, still as a live event, but soon it became clear it was completely unfeasible to host a big live event and encourage intercontinental and international travel. The august date was kept, but any live portion canceled.

So into cyberspace we go, with Summer Games Done Quick 2020 Online! Of course, for the benefit of Doctors Without Borders as usual.

=============

So first up and as always you might want to check out the schedule to find the runs you want to watch. It'll adjust to your time zone. Of course, not everything (in fact, practically nothing) takes specifically the exact time planned for it so things might shift around a tad, but you should usually be able to count on that a run won't start a significant amount of time before scheduled. Always good to be ready early, of course.

You can watch the marathon at the GDQ main site, or on Twitch. The main site is usually preferable if you're going to watch through a browser.

But even better than watching through a browser is watching it in your media player of choice, by using Streamlink and Streamlink Twitch GUI! They're easy to install and use. Note that things changed with Twitch within the last year that broke older versions, so if you haven't updated in a while, you need to get the latest versions of both.

No matter how you watch, though, chances are good you won't be able to watch all the runs you wanted to, because time zones and sleep and stuff. But not to worry. Even if watching live is more fun, recordings of all runs will go up eventually on the GDQ Youtube channel. The splendid website GDQ VODs, hosted by fellow goon Steve Holt, usually also tries to keep up with timestamped links to Twitch VODs during the marathon, and there's always a thread for the same purpose on Reddit. GDQ staff will make some effort to get at least temporary versions up on the Youtube channel during the marathon.

Reacting to the marathon with other people while it's going is part of the fun too! This thread is one method. Stay away from Twitch chat. Do not stay away from IRC and Discord!

GDQ IRC: #sdamarathon at irc.quakenet.org
Direct link | Quakenet Webchat
GDQ Discord

Goon IRC: #speedruns at irc.synirc.net
Direct link | synirc Webchat
Goon speedrunning Discord | Speedfriends Shitposting

=============

If you wanna combine donating to the charity with getting some loot for it, get yourself over to The Yetee's SGDQ collection of shirts, and you can also grab some stuff from Fangamer. A portion of the sale price of each item will go directly to Doctors Without Borders.

=============

This year is the tenth anniversary of Games Done Quick, which started in 2010 with Classic Games Done Quick in Mike Uyama's mother's basement. These days, GDQ hosts two big speedrunning charity marathons annually, along with some smaller charity events from time to time (most recently, Corona Relief Done Quick in April), and speedrunning content happening every week on their Twitch channel.

At the moment, the two major GDQ events are the largest global fundraising events for the charities they benefit. AGDQ 2014 was the first GDQ to break one million dollars, and SGDQ 2019 became the first to break three million raised in a single event, while also breaking the twenty million dollar total across all events. As of right now, the lifetime total of money raised by Games Done Quick events is 26,161,420 dollars and 85 cents.

All of the money raised during Summer Games Done Quick goes directly to Doctors Without Borders. There is no cut taken by any of the staff or participants, all attendees pay for their own travel and living expenses. You might hear people saying that some organizers get money for it, but this is not via any cut of the donations - the truth is that GDQ has become such a large event that putting it on is essentially a full-time job for many of the closest involved, so some of the core staff are employed with salaries to make sure that the marathon can happen as it does.

Work is always being put into improving the quality of the stream. But mistakes always happen, and with the sheer amount of tech involved, something can always go wrong. Delays may very well happen, there will be unforeseen problems. This is extra true for an online marathon, where rather than just one big tech setup everything runs though, each runner has their own gear and computer and internet connection and all that. So... be patient. It'll be even more frustrating for the runners than it is for you as a viewer.

=============

Anyway now it's time to donate and as always you do that through GDQ's own tracker. Swing yourself over to the Summer Games Done Quick 2020 donation page, where you can make your donation, leave your comment, see what raffle prizes you can become eligible for, and choose what donation incentive or bid war or whatever you want your donation to go towards. If your comment is extra good, it might get read out on the stream, but... don't count on it, honestly. There's too many donations for that.

There's as usual donation incentives you can put your money towards, which includes naming characters in games, playing extra levels, picking characters or difficulties, or even adding entire games to the schedule. All of these can be found on the bid index... eventually. It's empty right now.

Prizes though. Go to the tracker and check out wha tyou most want to win, and when to donate to get your chance. You will be entered into the drawing for a prize by donating at least the minimum bid specified during the period it's available. The drawings will happen after the marathon is over. Buy-ins range mainly between 5 and 30 dollars, with a few at 50, and one 200, but that one's cumulative - as long as you donate at least 200 dollars during the course of the marathon, you're in the drawing for a custom prop from Heroic Replicas.

But if you don't have your goals set quite as high, some other things you might find yourself winning include...

...socks.

...bottle.

...rectangles.

...lion.

...icons.

...head.

...blue.

...criminals.

...triangles.

...jellyfish.

...bird.

...and this meme.

=============

No longer really frequently asked questions but anyway:

Q: What runs should I watch?
A: This question has no answer. Read the schedule. Find games that you're interested in, or that you think will be interesting. Thread should hopefully have some recommendations over the course of the marathon. Silly Games block is usually a good idea.

Q: Will ____ be featured?
A: Check the schedule. If they're not listed as a runner or commentator, it doesn't really matter if they're there or not. There's been some, let's say, controversial runners/commentators in the past - it's for the best if we don't bring that up.

Q: Why isn't ____ on the schedule?
A: Because there's simply not enough room for it. GDQ has grown so much that it's not even remotely possible to let everyone who wants to attend have a game on the schedule anymore. There's going to be hundreds of people there, and while not all of them are runners, many games and people have had to be cut from the schedule to fit it into a weeklong marathon.

Q: What's this about GDQ banning fun?
A: Just a silly misconception. There's no fun police, and certainly no rules in place that state everything has to be super serious and clinical. A rule that is in place is that people on camera who aren't the runner shouldn't be taking focus or attention away from the run or the runner(s). When you're an event the size of GDQ, allowing people to do whatever they want on camera just isn't possible... not that that applies as much to this particular marathon.

Q: Where is this happening?
A: In your heart Online due to the pandemic.

=============

So that's about it! Just remember why you're here... the speedruns and the speedrun chat. Please, do not use this thread as a place to dredge up drama about marathons or runners or whatever things that happened in the past. Things that happen at that directly relate to the marathon are fine to talk about, but don't let small incidents become thing they're not. Be wary about claims that fly around before anything gets confirmed. Above all, be respectful towards the runners, commentators, and all the GDQ stuff that put in the time and effort to put on this event for you.

Should you still have any questions, about the event, the organization, or something else relating to Games Done Quick - simply ask! There are a couple of goons that are directly involved with the event, some part of the staff, some runners, and many other goons that are to various degrees involved with the speedrunning community in general. So there's a lot of us here who would be happy to answer any questions you might have, either in the thread or in the aforementioned goon chats, and do also remember that we have a general speedrunning thread too!

So let's enjoy another marathon together!

=============

Past marathon threads:
AGDQ 2012 | AGDQ 2013 | SGDQ 2013 | AGDQ 2014 | SGDQ 2014 | ESA 2014 | AGDQ 2015 | ESA 2015 | SGDQ 2015 | AGDQ 2016 | SGDQ 2016 | ESA 2016 | AGDQ 2017 (Chat) | SGDQ 2017 (Chat) | ESA 2017 | HRDQ | AGDQ 2018 (Chat) | SGDQ 2018 (Chat) | ESA 2018 (Chat) | GDQx 2018 (Chat) | AGDQ 2019 | ESAW 2019 | SGDQ 2019 | ESA 2019 | GDQx 2019 | AGDQ 2020 | ESAW 2020 & FF 2020 | CRDQ

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Recommendation list from people:

Streets of Rage 4
ICO
Shovel Knight: King of Cards
DUSK
Kid Icarus
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Oblivion
Witcher 3
Alone in the Dark
Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Freedom Planet
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Devil May Cry 4
The entire silly block, from Night Trap to Asghan: The Dragon Slayer (some people say to skip Rocko's Quest)
Doom 64
Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Blood
Doom 3
Warframe
Mega Man 9
Yakuza Kiwami 2
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Half-Life: Alyx
Doom Eternal
Miami Vice
Baba is You
Elevator Action Returns
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels
Metroid Fusion
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Pump it Up!
Shoot the Bullet
Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi
Super Metroid
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Aug 23, 2020

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Ooooh it’s beginning with Demon’s Souls and Streets of Rage 4 after the intro.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

oh wow is that the same squint that did the lp of Demon's souls here on SA years ago?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
How will we get people mugging for the cameras if everything is online now?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Nemo2342 posted:

How will we get people mugging for the cameras if everything is online now?

they really missed an opportunity to have people donate a certain amount to get an approved audience member picture up for an hour

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
i am ready for games to be done quickly

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Super interested in:

Demon's Souls
Streets of Rage 4
Rayman Legends
Witcher 3
Portal
Portal 2
Talos Principle
Alien: Isolation
Baldur's Gate
Warframe
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
Baba is You
Breath of the Wild
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Bloodborne

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
ICO
Shovel Knight King of Cards
Secret of Mana
Metroid Fusion
Smash Bros BLINDFOLDED Break the Targets

So hyped to see this but the pumped crowd will be missed...

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, hopefully it'll feel a little less "lonely" than the coronavirus one

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

The yetee collection is live, the A Short Hike shirt looks really cool

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hi

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
DUSK will be sick, folks

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

speedruns

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Well, this snuck up on me. Looking forward to the silly games block!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Anybody else have some weird times listed in the schedule?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

It shows up as starting 5 minutes ago for me, but the actual stream doesn't seem to be up.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

site posted:

Anybody else have some weird times listed in the schedule?
Outside of the fact they're running a little late on starting, looks fine to me.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Summer games done quick, done slowly

E:
https://twitter.com/GamesDoneQuick/status/1295021935949017089

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

The pre show is always just barely held together by duct tape and a dated gaming laptop so it not being able to start up makes a lot of sense

E. I played beat saber on that laptop it held up surprisingly well

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 16, 2020

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Whelp, at least means I won't miss it while making dinner.

Edit: Preshow was prerecorded and will go up on Youtube though

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 16, 2020

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
Won't be the same as an online event, but still will watch as much as I can. Should have some good moments.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Shame I need to actually show up for work instead of telework next week. I'll just have to catch what I can and VOD watch the rest.

Edit: Nice meme scroll for the setup.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 16, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

MagusofStars posted:

Outside of the fact they're running a little late on starting, looks fine to me.

It is apparently listed in Zulu time for me and is not set to local time as it usually does

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

This better not wipe out the Demon's Souls run, that's probably the one I most want to see

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Gort posted:

This better not wipe out the Demon's Souls run, that's probably the one I most want to see

Squint's run in the LP Archive was one of the first LPs I ever watched so I'm kinda amused/excited he's on the mic for that one :3:

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Things would have to start on fire at the studio right now for them to start dropping runs, it'll just start late

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
These Velocity-themed memes in the teaser are really cute. I've seen a few really old ones referenced too, like Happycat and the O RLY owl.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I donated some prizes this year, so best of luck to anyone who wins my COVID-cursed items.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

We're live!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Gort posted:

We're live!

Let's loving goooooooo

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

*choking sounds on mic*

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

...missed the cue by a teensy bit there, didn't they

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It will certainly feel a bit weird doing it like this but I do look forward to watching this all week.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I just beat DeS for the first time a couple days ago so I am looking forward to seeing this get done in under an hour

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
Looks like they've got a pretty good setup. Maybe they should pump in crowd noise like the NBA.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

mangler103 posted:

Looks like they've got a pretty good setup. Maybe they should pump in crowd noise like the NBA.

It's probably not feasible or even possible but it would be pretty cool if they had an audio channel where they could record "crowd" reactions

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
You can dupe my sticky white stuff ;)

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
This run is going incredibly well so far! The commentary is exceptional too! A fantastic way to start the event :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

BaconCopter posted:

This run is going incredibly well so far! The commentary is exceptional too! A fantastic way to start the event :)

Yeah! This run/commentary combo has done a lot to relax my fears about how this event would go. So pumped!