Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The last few seasons have been actually pretty interesting as of late; I've been a little too busy to keep up with every show I've wanted, but we've had a pretty good run. But that can never last. Here's a season that's... well... it's got SOME good shows in it. But seriously: A Mystery of Convoy anime? What the gently caress?

As usual, the primary source for these dates and titles is Moonphase. This list will contain all of what Moonphase lists for TV series, along with some of the OVAs and movies as well. It is worth noting that, like always, Moonphase lists cinema dates for anime films, not BD/DVD release dates, so said dates will be largely useless to you unless you live in Japan.

I have bolded series that I think will be definite must-watches or sure bets. This is merely my predictions / personal taste, and it is by no means necessarily accurate one way or the other. I've certainly been wrong before in both directions. Italicized series are ones that absolutely no one will give a poo poo about even in the slightest (ultra kids shows, merchandise gimmicks).

For television series, the date listed is the day the first episode airs in Japan. For reasons related to time zones and Japan's screwy way of counting hours past midnight, this might be +/- 1 day from what you'd expect it to be. For OVAs, it's the DVD release date. For movies, it's the cinema premiere date, unless otherwise noted.

Shows with ADTRW threads have a ":neckbeard:" next to a thread link below them. These shows are not necessarily must-watch, but at the very least someone in ADTRW felt a desire to make a thread about them. If you make a thread about a show listed here, please do let us know by posting it in this thread or by PMing me a link to the thread!

TV Series

12/21 Ikkitousen: Extravaganza Epoch
2 episode Ikkitousen TV special by ARMS. For those not familiar with this franchise: it's basically the Ur Fanservice Fighting Anime that showed up back in the early 2000s and has had a sequels popping up every few years or so.

12/30 Tales of Zestiria: Doushi no Yoake
Tales of [Blank] game TV anime special, it's being animated by ufotable. It's about an RPG protagonist blessed with a spiritual power to fight creatures spawned by negative emotions.

12/31 Tsukimonogatari
Another Monogatari light novel adapted by SHAFT, directed by Shinbou as usual. Apparently this is the first part of the "final season" of said light novel series. Some people really like these, others don't. They have some really weird elements. Odds are if you're familiar with anime at all, you've probably formed an opinion of these already. They've been around a good while now.

1/3 Tantei Opera Milky Holmes TD
Another season of little girl Sherlock Holmes.

1/4 Absolute Duo
Light novel adaptation by 8bit, it's being directed by Atsushi Nakayama (1st Nanoha film, Tokyo Ravens). A student enrolls at an academy where he can gain a weapon that is the manifestation of his soul in order to get revenge for losing a loved one. His "weapon" is a shield. Supernatural harem romance ensues because otaku pop-culture is tremendously original.

1/4 Minna Atsumare! Falcom Gakuen SC
Seinen comedy manga adatpation by DAX Production, it's a series of weekly 2-minute episode shorts. It's the sequel to the one that aired this spring; it's basically a cross-over school story of various characters from games released by Falcom (a studio I frankly forgot even existed).

1/5 Doamaiger D
Flash animated mecha comedy anime by ILCA, I think it's also another short-form outing. A parody of 70s super robot anime and traditional sweets shops, the proprietor of a sweet shop in Kyoto discovers a giant robot in his store's basement and uses it to beat up badies using candies and what not. The 70s art style is kind of neat, though I'm not sure if the "joke" as it were has enough substance to really draw any attention.

1/5 Yuri Bear Storm (Yuri Kuma Arashi)
Bolding very speculatively for sheer potential what factor alone, this is the newest anime directed/written/everythinged by Kunihiko Ikuhara with Silver Link. Ikuhara is known previously for his work on Revolutionary Girl Utena, as well as Mawaru Penguin Drum. He makes very… odd things. I'm just going to quote another summary of the synopsis of this because I don't think any degree of summarization would do it justice:

quote:

Some time ago, the asteroid Kumaria exploded in the depths of space.

The resulting fragments became a meteor shower that rained down on Earth, and for some reason, bears all over the world rose up and attacked humanity! In ""Man vs. Bear,"" the bears ate the humans and the humans shot the bears, resulting in a seemingly unending battle and a cycle of hatred. In the end, a giant ""Wall of Extinction"" was erected between the humans and bears and a state of mutual nonaggression came to pass...

The human world.

One morning, Arashigaoka Academy students Kureha Tsubaki and Sumika Izumino were by themselves and saw the ""Yuri Flower"" that bloomed in a flower bed. The two are friends as well as lovers. The flower bed is an important place to the two. At that moment, the Bear Alarms ring out! The bears are invading the human world, and humans are being attacked! Are they really those bears? One mystery invokes yet another mystery, one after another. The curtain rises magnificently on Yuri Kuma Arashi!
Everything about it makes it look just loving weird.

1/5 Kamisama-kiss 2 ( Kami-sama Hajimemashita 2)
Sequel to the previous shoujo romance supernatural comedy by TMS. A girl left poor and homeless after her dad skips town ends up moving into a shrine full of handsome young men (of course) who turn out to be gods (of course). If my memory serves me right, this was decently popular amongst those into this sort of thing. So if you are, in fact, into that sort of thing: here you are then.

1/6 Q-Transformers: Mystery of Convoy ( Q Transformers: Kaette Kita Convoy no Nazo )
I think the main reason I continue to make these threads is to experience the bizarre places Anime goes to find material. This is a short adaptation of the 1986 Famicom/NES title "Transformers: Mystery of Convoy" by Flash anime studio DLE. No, really. It's intended as a promotion for an upcoming line of Transformers toys / a remake that captures the game's "legendarily impossible difficulty".

1/6 Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei Bu Love!
An original magical boy (huh?) anime by Diomedea, directed by Shinji Takamatsu (Gintama, the Daily Lives of High School Boys). Five high school boys in a fake "Earth Defense Club" are charged by a pink wombat into protecting the world. This seems like it could be funny as a full on parody but that's not the impression I'm getting.

1/7 Military!
TV shorts are the future of anime, apparently. This is a seinen manga adaptation by DAX Production and Creators in Pack (whom I've never heard of). Girls from two warring kingdoms intrude in a high school student's house.

1/7 Kantai Collection
Adaptation of that browser card battling game, it's being animated by Diomedea. For those fortunate enough to have never heard of it: what if World War II never happened because aliens showed up and so all the World War II ships were turned into young anime girls that live in a hotel and are led by a young perverted admiral who gropes them and you should probably not post a thread about it.

1/7 Testament of New Sister Devil ( Shinmai Maou no Testament )
Light novel adaptation by Production IMS. A high schooler whose father remarries finds that his new step sisters are actually a "demon lord" and a succubus. Supernatural fanservice action shennanigans follow.

1/8 Pankis! 2 Jigen
Short music anime for kids.

1/8 Tokyo Ghoul Root A
Sequel to the Tokyo Ghoul anime from the Summer season, adapted from a manga by Studio Pierrot. Student hunting man-eating ghouls becomes a man-eating ghoul. From what I recall from what people were saying, the manga is good early on but then becomes very generically supernatural shounen fighting manga. So even if you liked the previous season, may want to give this a pass.

1/8 How to Train the Ordinary Girl to be a Heroine ( Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata )
This season's new noitaminA series. Light novel adaptation by A-1 Pictures. Otaku working part time to support his anime habit meets a bunch of female anime protagonists and forms a manga making team. It's a romcomdram following their journey through Comiket and beyond. noitaminA has really lost all pretense about making atypical anime, huh.

1/8 Happy Cooking Graffiti ( Kofuku Graffiti )
Manga adaptation by SHAFT, directed by Shinbou. It's about a middle schooler who lives by herself and makes friends via cooking. It apparently has a focus on "erotic eating scenes". Gross.

1/8 Unlimited Fafnir ( Juuou Mujin no Fafnir )
Not to be confused with Fafner. It's a light novel adaptation by Diomedea. I'm going to just post this plot summary because let's face it, the primary value of this thread is stupid anime plot summaries. Time how far you get before you just start shaking your head.

quote:

With the sudden appearance of the monsters that came to be called Dragons, the world had completely changed. Before long, within the human race supernatural girls with the power of the dragons, called "D," were born. The secret existence of the only male "D," the boy Mononobe Yuu, was forcefully thrown into the school where the girls of "D" gathered—Midgar, where he saw the naked body of one of the students, Iris. Furthermore, meeting his long-lost sister Mitsuki, Yuu seems to have been enrolled into this school...?! "When there's really no other choice, Iris, I will—kill you." "Can I really... believe you?" The curtains open as the "one and only story" about the boy who was supposed to become the strongest assassin and the incompetent girl unfolds—! Unlimited School Battle Action!

1/8 Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor - Exodus
Not to be confused with Fafnir. This is the sequel to that Hirai-face "Fafner in the Azure" series made by Xebec that first aired a decade ago. It's weird to think that this show is popular enough that it got a sequel; it wasn't particularly good. It's kind of "aliens attacking" meets Gundam SEED.

1/8 Bloodtype-kun 2
Sequel to the previous short anime about little characters representing the four blood types and their stereotyped traits.

1/9 The IDOLM@STER: Cinderella Girls
Based on the iDOLM@STER mobile game, it's a slice of life musical comedy thing following a group of Idols trying to become top idols or whatever.

1/9 Assassination Classroom
Adaptation of the incredibly popular shounen manga by Weekly Shounen Jump, it's being animated by Lerche and directed by Seiji Kishi (Angel Beats, Persona 4 anime). A strange octopus creature with the ability to destroy the world demands he be given a classroom to teach before he destroys the world in one year. The world's governments acede, on the condition that the students also be trained to try to assassinate him first. The manga is super goofy and fun, hopefully this will be a good adaptation. It probably won't but I want to believe. I WANT TO BELIEVE drat IT.
:neckbeard: ADTRW Manga Thread

1/9 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 2
The continuation to the ongoing JoJo's Bizarre Adventure anime by David Production. You should watch these. They're on Crunchyroll. Go do it. It's about dudes using their psychic ghosts to punch Anime Dracula and his psychic minions. This season is looking to be 24 episodes, and should wrap up Stardust Crusaders.
:neckbeard: ADTRW Manga Thread
:neckbeard: ADTRW Anime Thread

1/9 Death Parade
Aha, here's something interesting. This is the TV adaptation / sequel / retelling of the interesting Anime Mirai government-sponsored one-off "Death Billiards", produced by MADHOUSE. It's being directed and scripted by Yuzuru Tachikawa, who also directed / wrote Death Billiards (which was about a young and an elderly man playing a game of billiards for their life). It was a super interesting part of that year's Anime Mirai offering, hopefully it will withstand the expansion into a series.

1/10 Shounen Hollywood -Holly Stage for 50-
Sequel to the Hollywood Stage for 49 anime, based on a novel of some kind. It follows a group of idols working in a theater in Tokyo try to become idol famous.

1/10 DRRR!! 2nd Season ( Durarara!!x2 Shou)
Ok now we're loving talking. This is the first cour of the second season of Durarara!!, a fantastic anime from 2010. It's being animated by Studio Shuka (never heard of them) and directed by Takahiro Omori (the first season). For those that missed it, hey you should watch it, but also here's a summary: in Tokyo's downtown Ikebukuro district, weird poo poo goes down with rumors swirling of a headless biker that drives the streets. After moving to Tokyo, Ryuugamine Mikado finds himself wrapped up in the peculiar events in Ikebukuro. It's based on a novel by the guy who wrote Baccano! which was also great. The cours are being split up for some reason.

1/10 Aldnoah.Zero 2
Sequel to the original mecha anime from this summer, produced by A-1. Humanity discovers a hypergate to Mars during the Aollo 17 mission, as well as an object called "Aldnoah" that alters humans. After many humans move to Mars, war eventually breaks out between the Martians and Humans. Using giant robots.
:neckbeard: ADTRW Thread

1/10 DOG DAYS''
We need to find whoever started this trend of applying bizarre punctuation to titles to denote sequels and jettison them into space because this is seriously stupid. This is the third season of Dog Days, that anime about a athletic kid who basically wants to go on SASUKE (Ninja Warrior) and is summoned to a fantasy world of animal people to participate in their Fantasy War version of Ninja Warrior. Some people liked it despite itself for being just earnestly weird.

1/10 THE ROLLING GIRLS
Shounen slice of life by Wit Studio (Attack on Titan, Hozuki no Reitetsu). It's Wit's first original series, and there's a couple manga being produced with it. Ten years after "The Great Tokyo War", all the prefectures in Japan have split into independent nations ruled by prophets (?) called "Mosa" and an army called "Mobs". Four mob girl members are ordered to ride their bicycles around Japan to mediate conflicts between nations / clans. Some people are pretty excited about this given the number of high quality animation staff that is working on it in Wit.

1/10 Kuroko's Basketball 3 ( Kuroko no Baske 3 )
When Production I.G. needs the money, they fall back on their old standby: shounen sports-anime that actually appeals more to women. This is the third season of the anime about a kid who what plays basketball real good.

1/11 Yatterman of the Night (Yoru no Yatterman)
Tatsunoko is making this Yatterman anime in celebration of forty years of Time Bokan shows. The summaries of what it's about are super non-specific, but from what I can tell this is apparently them making the bad guys good and the good guys bad in this adaptation? Or something? I may be misunderstanding it. If someone has a better hold, let me know.

1/11 Maria the Virgin Witch
Manga adaptation by Production I.G., directed by Goro Taniguchi (Code Geass, Gun X Sword, Planetes). Maria is a witch during the 100 Years War who uses her magic to protect her local village, including having her succubus and incubus familiars bewitch the armies' generals. The Archangel Michael disapproves and declares that when she loses her virginity she will lose her magical powers, and sends an angel to encourage her to not use her magic in front of other people. Taniguchi is a director I really I appreciate but this seems like it's pretty much destined to be the bad kind of trash.

1/11 Seiken Tsukai no World Break
Fantasy romance action light novel adaptation by Diomedea (how big is this studio now??) A boy comes to a private school for people who have awakened past-life abilities to use skills derived from Prana, as well as people who use magic derived from Mana. Boy is the first to have the ability to use both. Harem-esque fantasy school stuff follows.

1/11 Samurai Warriors
TYO Animations / Tezuka Productions produce an adaptation of the Samurai Warriors games, which means just another anime-esque take of the Warring States period.

1/23 ISUCA
Fanservice supernatural action light novel adaptation by ARMS. School kid gets temporary work doing housekeeping for a girl whose family exterminates and exorcises unwanted supernatural creatures. He accidentally releases one, helps recapture it, I'm pretty sure you know how the rest of this goes.

2/13 Comical Psychosomatic Medicine (Anime de Wakaru Shinryounaika)
Manga adaptation by Shin-Ei Animation. It's another short-form anime. A psychologist and his nurse explain mental illnesses to the audience, detailing their origins, prevalence, and treatment. The information is apparently imparted in a cheerful manner with puns, jokes, and pop culture references. An odd thing to decided to make an anime for, but at least it's not yet another fantasy harem school thing.

2/?? Go! Princess Precure
PreCure anime #5431

With the Fall season wrapping up in the next few weeks, you may want to consider leaving your thoughts on concluding series on the ADTRWiki.

REMEMBER: There’s a “Three Episode Rule” for season threads. After three episodes have aired for a show, if you wish to discuss the show you need to make a thread for it, or I’ll be probating you!

Zorak fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Glossary of useful terms etc

AT-X: Subscription-based satellite TV channel airing mostly anime. Because of its obscure nature it's (in)famous for airing uncensored versions of various fanservice anime that has naughty parts removed on normal terrestrial free-to-air television.

BONES: Animation studio. Made a bunch of fantastically good anime many years ago, they have above average production quality but tend towards the uninteresting (with some exception). They have five separate sub-studio teams that specialize on various things. ANN Entry

Gen Urobuchi: The dude who wrote Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Blassreiter, Saya no Uta, and Fate/Zero. He's sort of a hot topic of discussion in both the Japanese and Western anime community since quite a large number of people are really into his plots, which are typically very dark. ANN Entry

Gonzo clause: Rule of thumb that says that any anime animated by studio Gonzo will suck poo poo. Quite accurate in general, and no longer irrelevant since Gonzo magically lives again now. ANN Entry

JC Staff: Animation studio, usually considered to do above average quality work. Mostly known for their endless stream of romantic comedies with at least one tsundere character voiced by Kugimiya Rie per show. Sort of a non-topic nowadays. ANN Entry

Josei: Literally means "woman", but in this context it means a watcher/reader demographic, mostly consisting of young adult women and girls in their late teens. Often totally interchangeable with seinen.

Light Novel: A style of Japanese novel roughly equivalent to the Western "Young Adult fiction" in terms of complexity and length, though the audience is wider. They are the source for a lot of anime adaptations nowadays, and typically have incredibly long and stupid titles.

MADHOUSE: Anime studio that produces some high quality works and generally aim towards non-conventional works (say, about karuta). They offset this risk by interspersing their good shows with a lot of contract work and a lot of really cheap sure-sells to make ends meet. These guys do all the western nerd animes (Batman, Halo, Mass Effect). ANN Entry

Noitamina: A late-night one-hour anime timeslot on Fuji TV, a Tokyo-based terrestrial channel. It was initially explicitly aimed at the josei demographic, but these days almost anything goes. It has a reputation for airing odd or experimental shows, as well as for above-average quality. ANN Entry

ONA: Original Net Animation, short term for "straight to internet stream".

OVA: Original Video Animation, short term for "straight to video".

Production I.G: Generally well-regarded animation studio, known for things like GitS:SAC, Patlabor and a bunch of Oshii Mamoru movies. They are probably the best studio at the moment for making 3DCG work well. They have several sub-studios and teams working on things simultaneously. ANN Entry

Seinen: Literally means "man", but in this context it means a watcher/reader demographic, mostly consisting of young adult men and boys in their late teens. Often totally interchangeable with josei.

SHAFT: Animation studio, mostly known for very low-budget but nevertheless visually interesting shows. See also Shinbou Akiyuki. ANN Entry

Shoujo: Literally means "girl", but in this context it refers to the demographic aimed primarily at teen girls.

Shounen: Literally means "boy", but in this context it refers to the demographic aimed primarily at teen boys.

Shinbou Akiyuki: A director that seems to be at least partially insane or permanently high. Usually works with SHAFT and has a number of gimmicks, many of which involve meta-jokes and the like. The animation in his shows is often ridiculous and ADTRW is down with that. ANN Entry

Studio DEEN: Animation studio infamous for its lovely adaptations and even shittier animation. ANN entry

ufotable: Animation studio, best known for their habit of putting stop-motion clay figure animation in odd places, and for the Kara no Kyoukai movie series. Generally does high quality work these days. ANN entry

Visual Novel: "Video Game" novel. Text stories presented with art, sound, and often voice acting. Dating sims are a typical example, though it can often skew towards adventure games as well.

Fall Look Back

The Fall Season is still ongoing, so take care to keep all discussion about it in the Fall Season thread. If you can't find anything that interests you in the Winter season, you should consider checking it out! Here's shows from Fall that had threads posted for them in ADTRW. Keep in mind that the entries date back to when it was posted in Summer.

Fall stuff

Terra Formars
Manga adaptation by Lindenfilms, directed by Hiroshi Hamasaki (Iron Manime, Texhnolyze). The plot is essentially that humans send some mold and cockroaches in the hope of terraforming Mars (get it) before an expedition is sent. The expedition arrives at Mars to discover a race of mutant insectmen ruling the place. Humanity sends superhumans to fight the insectmen. Been not-so-playfully dubbed "Racist Bug Manga" by some, but some people really dig it regardless! Lindenfilms are an in-betweening studio whose only lead-production thus far was Aiura.
:neckbeard: Manga Thread

GUNDAM Reconguista in G
Original Gundam creator Yoshiyuki Tomino is back, and he's already ranting about poo poo like the crazy anime grandpa he is. Wouldn't want it any other way. This is based on a novel Tomino wrote as a "far future" sequel to his Universal Century timeline. In the year R.C 1014, a young pilot cadet named Bellri is a member of the Capital Guard, an organization charged with protecting a massive orbital elevator called the Capital Tower. After an encounter with some space pirates that results in him stealing an advanced mobile suit called the G-Self (OF COURSE) and capturing its female pilot (DOUBLE OF COURSE), Bellri finds himself pulled into a conflict that will shake this new era. Tomino has already been ranting away about how he hates modern voice actors and wants to destroy them, how its not intended for existing Gundam fans and how they won't be able to understand it so show it to your children / grandchildren instead because "we can't expect anything from anyone over 20". Tomino has also stated that this anime will be heavily about how great women are, how he hates politicians, and will ultimately inspire children to start taking action ten years from now to save Japan's environment. Meanwhile it's the first Gundam series they're not first airing in a primetime timeslot where kids could actually see it. SHINE ON YOU CRAZY DIAMOND. Tomino makes works that always fascinating; either they're actually good or just loving mental. Sometimes they're both.

selector spread WIXOSS season 2
Sequel to the original anime from Spring by J.C. Staff. Girls are pulled into a dark world and forced to participate in a dark game involving trading cards. Some people liked it decently. Usual sequel caveats beyond that.

Log Horizon 2
Continuation of the Satelight-led light novel adaptation. It's one of those people-are-stuck-in-an-mmo-for-real things that are all the rage. From what I hear, it's probably the best of its ilk in terms of quality. BUT SURPRISE TWIST: It's being animated by Studio Deen now. Horror.

Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works
Fate/stay night visual novel anime adaptation #6 or whatever. It's being animated by ufotable and directed by Takahiro Miura (one of the Kara no Kyoukai movies). If you're not familiar with this franchise: historical heroes are summoned as familiars to fight for a chance to become Jesus or something. This is adapting an arc that never got a TV airing, apparently.

Le Fruit de la Grisaia ( Grisaia no Kajitsu )
Visual novel adaptation by 8-Bit, directed by Motoki Tanaka (Kiniro Mosaic). As I understand it: former assassin or whatever comes to a school for outsiders that don't fit into society, visual novel "fixing characters" drama ensues.

Weak Pedals GRANDE ROAD (Yowamushi Pedal GRANDE ROAD)
Sequel to the well-received shounen bicycle racing anime from this time last year. A nerdy kid attempts to start a bicycle club and become a successful cyclist. He's joined by a team of diverse people who Also Race Bike. But yeah, like I said, this anime has gotten a good reception for being charming and funny, alongside the hot-blooded bicycling faire that one expects from its genre. Probably worth checking out the first season first if you're interested. If you liked the first season: congrats, here's more!

Gundam Build Fighters Try
The sequel to the Sunrise Gundam anime about battling with Gundam models that probably shouldn't have been good, but actually just totally was by being sheerly earnest. Anyway, this one is set 7 years after the first series with a new cast (except for Ramba Ral, who is eternal) trying to win the All-Japan Gunpla Battle Championships. Again, first series was legit, which is why I'm bolding this, but there's some substantial risk here actually: there's another Gundam series this season, and it appears Sunrise has shifted a lot of their good animation staff over to that one instead.
:neckbeard: Season 2 ADTRW Thread

Hi Scoool! Seha Girl
Sega's masturbatory vocaloid-related 3D CG anime where the anthropomorphized versions of Sega game consoles are enrolled at a Sega academy and need to enter into the world of Sega games in order to graduate. Here's the Sega Genesis, for the curious

Coffin-Princess Chaika: Avenging Battle
Just gonna copy my last summary here: " Light novel adaptation by BONES. A retired 20-year old soldier meandering through life now that the war has ended encounters a 14-year-old sorceress (with sniper rifle) carrying a coffin and starts following her in hopes of finding meaning to his life again, along with his adopted sister. The original light novel is by the author of Scrapped Princess and Strait Jacket, is being directed by Soichi Masui (Scrapped Princess, lots of storyboarding for basically every BONES series, literally), with series composition by Touko Machida (Galilei Donna, Amagami, Lucky Star, Is This a Zombie?)"
:neckbeard: Season 2 ADTRW Thread

Parasyte (Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu)
Seinen horror / drama manga adaptation by MADHOUSE, it's being directed by Kenichi Shimizu (Avengers Confidential, a ton of key animation + episode direction), with composition by Shojo Yonemura (Death Note, Berserk (TV), Pokemon (TV)). Alien life forms land on earth, parasitizing human hosts and taking over their minds. Sentient and apathetic beyond a desire for survival and a hunger for human flesh, the parasites hide inside human society, feeding on human beings. An alien attempts to take over Shin Izumi, a human student, while he sleeps, but instead accidentally merges with his arm. Shin is forced to attempt to connect with the monster that now shares with his body in order to stop other humans from being killed by the aliens. So, Parasyte is a pretty good manga, and is pretty hosed up in a good way. They've changed the art style for this adaptation (which is fine, because the art never was the original manga's strongpoint), and I'm hoping it measures up well.

Psycho Pass 2
noitaminA block series #1. Sequel to the popular cyberpunk crime drama / mystery series by Production I.G., with a script by Gen Urobuchi. The original series is super popular and pretty decently received, so if you liked that: hey, here you go. It follows policemen that use instanteous psychological / crime profiles known as "psycho-passes" to evaluate and judge criminals. Note: There was a studio change! May not be as good! Tatsunoko is doing it now!
:neckbeard: Season 1 ADTRW Thread

Patema Inverted
BD/DVD release for the film version of the latest work by Yasuhiro Yoshiura (Pale Cocoon, Time of Eve). This is its US release date, actually! It's about the princess of a subterannean world venturing to the surface to find that gravity is flipped for her peoples, putting her at danger of falling into the sky. Won some awards.

Spring 2014 | Summer 2014 | Fall 2014 | Winter 2014-2015
Spring 2013 | Summer 2013 | Fall 2013 | Winter 2013-2014
Spring 2012 | Summer 2012 | Fall 2012 | Winter 2012-2013
Spring 2011 | Summer 2011 | Fall 2011 | Winter 2011-2012
Spring 2010 | Summer 2010 | Fall 2010 | Winter 2010-2011
Spring 2009 | Summer 2009 | Fall 2009 | Winter 2009-2010
Spring 2008 | Summer 2008 | Fall 2008 | Winter 2008-2009
Spring 2007 | Summer 2007 | Fall 2007 | Winter 2007-2008
Spring 2006 | Summer 2006 | Fall 2006 | Winter 2006-2007
Spring 2005 | Summer 2005 | Fall 2005 | Winter 2005-2006
Spring 2004 | Summer 2004 | Fall 2004 | Winter 2004-2005

Zorak fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 12, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Seriously, how the gently caress is Diomedea animating this many goddamn shows this season? The studio is not that big.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mystery of Convoy AOTY 2015, calling it now.

Edit: JoJos and Dollars and Bears, oh my!

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 12, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hyped as hell for Ikuhara's new show. Don't even need to see any of the trailers since his involvement means I'm gonna tune in each week, no question.

Also while I haven't read it, I don't think Maria the Virgin Witch will be very trashy; the manga is made by the guy who did Moyashimon so I'm mainly going with that for my impressions of the guy.

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

Looking forward to Aldnoah and Tokyo Ghoul. Tokyo Ghoul is metal as gently caress, and it was just getting good at the last episode so I'm sure it'll be fine regardless of any generality. Wasn't Attack on Titan supposed to come out this winter, is it scheduled for mid-2015?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
An aside about Tokyo Ghoul: the first season was created with little to no input from the creator and was 12 episodes. The new season credits him with an original story and is going to be 24 episodes.

So uh. I dunno if the manga will be representative of what we get in 2015.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'll be there for DRRR2 and JoJo.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Zorak posted:

2/13 Comical Psychosomatic Medicine (Anime de Wakaru Shinryounaika)
Manga adaptation by Shin-Ei Animation. It's another short-form anime. A psychologist and his nurse explain mental illnesses to the audience, detailing their origins, prevalence, and treatment. The information is apparently imparted in a cheerful manner with puns, jokes, and pop culture references. An odd thing to decided to make an anime for, but at least it's not yet another fantasy harem school thing.

This really surprises me, mental illnesses and disorders are really taboo in Japan. I don't think I've ever seen an anime or manga with a character seeing a therapist, for example.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

The Monkey Man posted:

This really surprises me, mental illnesses and disorders are really taboo in Japan. I don't think I've ever seen an anime or manga with a character seeing a therapist, for example.

I get the feeling this is exactly why this show is being made.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Nate RFB posted:

I'll be there for DRRR2 and JoJo.

hell yeah

i hope the gap between DRRR2's cours doesnt feel as empty as the jojo gap did tho

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

quote:

BONES: Animation studio. Made a bunch of fantastically good shows some years back, has been less than successful lately. They have five separate sub-studio teams that specialize on various things.

Seems deeply unfair after Space Dandy. I think the idea that Bones was a sure-fire hit factory is partially nostalgia, they've always been a studio that produced mostly factory stuff with a few risker shows of varying quality.

quote:

MADHOUSE: Anime studio that produces some high quality works and generally aim towards non-conventional works (say, about karuta). They offset this risk by interspersing their good shows with a lot of contract work and a lot of really cheap sure-sells to make ends meet. These guys do all the western nerd animes (Batman, Halo, Mass Effect).

With Masao Maruyama gone the best we can hope out of MADHOUSE is a solid adaptation like Parasyte. Better than what Ginaix is doing these days, but Mamoru Hosoda has his own studio now, Yuasa is long gone, and theres no new talent doing anything interesting. They haven't even done any western nerd anime since Maruyama left.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Monkey Man posted:

There was Trapeze.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

This is me irl for more Jojo

Edit: I'm also really hoping rear end Class is a good adaptation because rear end Class is pretty great.

mdct fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 12, 2014

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I was going to say "this is the worst season ever" because that comes up every season, but looking at that list again it seems like it's more that everything that is supposed to be good is something I haven't gotten into. Didn't stick with the first season of Durarara, haven't watched Jojo, haven't read Assassination Classroom. It's my fault.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Durarara gonna own

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Monkey Man posted:

how could you forget sex therapist

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Srice posted:

Also while I haven't read it, I don't think Maria the Virgin Witch will be very trashy; the manga is made by the guy who did Moyashimon so I'm mainly going with that for my impressions of the guy.

I've noticed that having a negative reaction to the (slightly misleading) common summary of the Maria premise happens almost like clockwork. That said, it's very understandable. Although the following has mostly been mentioned before, it's more relevant here:

Maria the Virgin Witch isn't exactly high-brow material, but it's also not nearly as idiotic and repulsive of a manga as the vague concept makes it sound. To be blunt, the centrality of the female protagonist's physical virginity is rather overstated. There are a bunch of jokes about sex and her inexperience, some funny and others not, but the series isn't a lame reverse harem or mindless ecchi with nothing other than creep appeal. The part about Maria intervening against England and France in opposition to the Angels and the Church is more important, even when it's being used for satire purposes.

The reason why the Archangel puts that restriction on her (which, to clarify things a little, doesn't even happen at the very start of the story) is derived from an encounter that's not exactly offensive in nature. Btw, it also seems Taniguchi has emphasized the content directly related to the Hundred Years War in the first episode, compared to how the first couple of manga chapters began, based on impressions from an early screening. Manga purists might lament any sort of change, but that sounds like a good move to me.

The updated key visual and the video aren't really laser-focused on the fanservice either, even though some casual nudity is present. I think the total level of trashiness will be roughly similar to that seen in Gun X Sword, which was a cool show for various reasons while also having room for a former prostitute and pole-dancing pilot, characters in vaguely fetish outfits, plus the usual needless shots of T&A. Neither of these projects would classify as masterpieces though, so I am not expecting the world from the Maria anime. I'll be happy enough if it manages to be entertaining and keep the more interesting core of the manga even if it adds a few new characters (mainly named soldiers and priests at that, curiously enough).

wielder fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 12, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It'll be nice if you're right because everything about the general pitch of the series just sounds bad.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Only time will tell about the specifics but, based on what I've read of the manga, I think I'd probably be wrong by a matter of degrees rather than over substance.

wielder fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 12, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I posted the poster for Hosoda's new movie in the previous thread. Here's a teaser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGJivemaHuM

quote:

The film, based on Hosoda's own original story and screenplay, is set in human world Shibuya and bakemono (beasts) world called Jutengai. One day a human boy strays into Jutengai and encounters a bear-like swordsman Kumatetsu. He becomes Kumatetsu's apprentice and is given a name Kyuta. The film follows Kyuta's training and adventures with Kumatetsu.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

And speaking of recent movies, Princess Kaguya has been playing in US theaters all over the place. Take a look around if you haven't! And if there aren't any in your area the blu-rays do have English subs on them.

Barring some miracle happening it's almost certainly Takahata's final movie. I haven't gotten the chance to see it yet but when I do I'll make a thread if nobody else does by then.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

aers posted:

The new animator expo short has some crazy cuts by some of the best animators in the industry but the main character is inexplicably naked the entire time.
in fact it is completely explicable and she has good plot reasons for being naked constantly

http://animatorexpo.com/nishiogikubo/ :nws:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

*licks lips in anticipation for Kancolle*

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I might end up watching Samurai Warriors because I am a sucker for Musou.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Maria the Virgin Witch is by the same mangaka that did Moyashimon.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Armor-Piercing posted:

I was going to say "this is the worst season ever" because that comes up every season, but looking at that list again it seems like it's more that everything that is supposed to be good is something I haven't gotten into. Didn't stick with the first season of Durarara, haven't watched Jojo, haven't read Assassination Classroom. It's my fault.

Yeah, actually this is the kind of season that makes the "every season is the worst season :rolleyes:" people look like idiots.

This is a good season, and the yardstick by which others should be measured.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The Precure thread still exists! Somehow. The end of Happiness Charge has started to pick up now that Toei finally decided that perhaps a cartoon should have animators?

On the flipside Twintails lost all of their animators.

Jojo, PreCure and YuriKuma are all I'm really planning on watching this time around, but perhaps there will be a Bahamut/Love Lab/Nozaki/Arpeggio that will surprise me.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

The upcoming season is definitely a good one. My must-watch list already has Yuri Bear, Aldnoah 2, Cinderella Girls, Rolling Girls, Death Parade, and Tsukimonogatari. There are a couple other series that don't look half bad, either.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I don't understand how there can be posts in this thread without Jojo

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Christmas presents Japanese animation will be giving me this winter:
More Parasyte, Jojo's Stardust Crusade part 2, Tsukimonogatari, DURARARAx2, TOKYO GHOUL CALMATTO EXPRESS~

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I don't understand how there can be posts in this thread without Jojo

VRRRYYYYYYY~

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 12, 2014

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

This looks to be the strongest Winter season in years.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

in fact it is completely explicable and she has good plot reasons for being naked constantly

I agree, completely justified given the premise.
This is really great overall.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

psyer posted:

Maria the Virgin Witch is by the same mangaka that did Moyashimon.
Goro Taniguchi has said he's putting his own spin on things. I don't know if there will be changes as drastic as the Planetes changes but it's probably best not to go in expecting everything from the manga to be animated.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
My extensive knowledge of Japanese culture makes it obvious to me that the video of a naked woman running is not exploitative but represents the cultural fear of intimacy that is ingrained in Japanese society :goonsay:

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

This owns.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
The mecha Fafner has been in my backlog for almost ten years now, after only watching episode 1. I guess they feel that SEED generation fan nostalgia are worth targeting judging by how many recent mecha shows that have similar qualities, other than animation style.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Some day they are going to anime The Trial.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Fafner isn't THAT much like Seed. It just kind of suffers from the character designer making the cast look way too similar to Destiny so you cannot help but wonder why Shinn Asuka's mech is all weird and lanky until you remember that everything Hirai designs does not in fact take place in the same universe.

But yes I have been super looking forward to it, I really liked Fafner a lot so it's good this is Happening. Yuri Bears, Rolling Girls, Aldnoah, Tokyo Ghoul, MAYBE Maria are all to be watched. And there will still be Gundam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I thought Hirai had gotten better with his faces with the last mecha show he did but boy did Fafner's say otherwise.

• Locked thread