Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

What the gently caress did you hit your head on... And why did you then drink an entire bottle of Tequila.

And how did you not die?

At the very least, uh, pursue your workman's comp for the head injury. Retaliating at people for getting hurt on the job is the biggest no no out there. if its a dream job, well, sometimes the result is 'i guess we have to suck it up and unfire this guy/give him his job back.' :(

Osha is your friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I've got a wierd question that came my way.

A friend wants to hire a chef to cook for them on vacation, two meals a day for four weeks.

What do you charge for a service like that? Hourly? flat rate? Who pays for the food?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Hauki posted:

Definitely looks like a chip, you can see it from the back side of the blade in the last photo too.

Worth asking for a model number and figuring out the cost of a replacement blade and/or taking it to a sharpener that can wear out the ding.

On second glance and a 10 second and sketchy as heck googling - a 410 replacement blade is roughly 130.

http://www.shoremeatsawparts.com/hobart-410-slicer-parts-carriage-trays-motor-guard/HOBART-D-118911-3-USED-MODEL-410-SLICER-BLADE.html

http://www.shoremeatsawparts.com/hobart-410-slicer-parts-carriage-trays-motor-guard/HOBART-D-118911-3-USED-MODEL-410-SLICER-BLADE-B.html

If you're buying used, there's always going to be problems/repairs. Is buying a new blade and using that to bring the price down really the worst that could happen?

I'd say its worth following up on, and at least meet the seller.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This is a hell of a derail because a guy wanted to class up his bar with some clear ice.

This is why we can't have n ice things!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

If every cook and dishwasher made $15 here it'd increase daily labor another $10k. Where do we make that? Please, I'd love to know how to make up that difference. Oh, and if every single employee in the hotel made $15, daily labor would increase 80k. Where do we make up that difference?

Of course I know that corporate lobbying etc, etc have shaped the current wage stagnation and inflation issues. But aside from widespread unionization(not going to happen) or actual labor reform, what the hell am I supposed to do? Not like I have the capital to open a restaurant that serves 100% humanely raised, organic, non-GMO, etc, etc food, pay every employee a good wage, and somehow turn a profit so I can put money back into the business and expand.

But no, just go ahead and say "increase menu prices 50 cents" and expect that to fix it.

Actually, around here they fixed it this way: Three links because its good read.
https://www.denverite.com/duo-restaurant-starts-adding-livable-wage-surcharge-kitchen-staff-37972/
http://www.westword.com/restaurants/the-math-behind-duos-new-kitchen-livable-wage-surcharge-9178330

https://denver.eater.com/2017/6/16/15821808/duo-restaurant-denver-no-tips and this one has the letter from the owners about why.

Basically, instead of raising menu prices they add 2% to give the cooks a raise. Off the top of the bill instead of the menu prices. I think the math works out, too.

If you do a 5000$ day that's an extra hundred bucks for the nonsalaried staff; you ballpark between 7-11 people depending on your operation size and that's roughly 9-14$ a head which works out to somewhere between a dollar and two over an 8 hour shift. Obviously, you divvy it up based on hours worked, but that's a good meter stick.
If you change your 'large party automatic gratituity' percentage from 20 to 18% its still the same cost to consumer, even if your servers make a bit less.

But yeah, that's how you cover the wage gap.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I like that model, and what Danny Meyer is doing as well. Scaling it to something like my operation with 7 outlets and a hundred cooks would be difficult, and I like the idea of rewarding my cooks for their 16 hour days with a cut of the banquet gratuity. Not too sure about the legality of that though.

Maybe you can look at the country club model? I head offhand that a lot/some of them kick in like, ten cents a plate to the people who helped make it in a pool just as a just as part of the cost.

If you were to do something like that, I think it'd be as an extra surcharge on top of the banquet gratuity. If you know the man hours that go into your banquet preps, it gets a lot easier to make that a flat fee.

What's the low down on danny meyer's changes?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Heard, and heard. It's already been getting warm near that fryer, and co workers have asked why I'm still wearing jeans. It really gives me the jibblies to think about working that station in shorts and no boots, but I hear that's what's gonna be necessary... :shrug: ?

I'm thinking back to an old colleague, and he used to swear by this brand of chef pants that had vented kneecaps?

I want to say it was happychef.

Fake edit: https://www.happychefuniforms.com/cookcool-mesh-smart-chef-pants.html maybe these things?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

virinvictus posted:

Anyone got any advice:

I’m currently only working 50hrs a week, but the shoes I’m currently wearing for the kitchen leave the ends of my toes intensely sore to walk on (but it’s not a sizing issue). I am willing to spend a disgusting amount of money on a decent kitchen shoe. So any suggestions on brand and style?

Superfeet inserts for the shoes you already have.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Bussamove posted:

Denver industry goons, I’m going to be there in a couple weeks and needs recommendations for places to hit up. Where do I absolutely need to go while I’m in the city?

I can only make recommendations for Boulder, unless you like vegetarian/gluten free stuff in Denver(family's favorite places).], which I won't offer unless you ask for it, save one:

The Watercourse's 'milk'shakes are so drat good.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Maybe you could put a texmex spin on Japanese classics. Like a sushi roll but instead of seaweed use a flour tortilla and instead of nasty old raw fish use like ground beef flavoured with coriander, cumin and chili

Actually, I've got something for this. :barf: Look on my links, ye mighty, and...

... I'm not sure despair is the right word for this,though. Any takers?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

At the risk of being callous:
how much do you start people at?
how much do you value a GOOD proper rear end kicking dishwasher that doesn't vanish in the middle of the rush or take umpteen smoke breaks at?
and how much do you value your prep cooks that set your line up to actually make money at?
How much do you value your line cooks above that?
How much does your current staff make, either on average or most-experienced?

Also, where are you located? (roughly or specifically?)

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Coasterphreak posted:

Because apparently it's the only way to get people to understand "use the drink holders on the wall that are specifically for that purpose, I've told you three times this week not to leave your cup above food prep surfaces."

I think everyone is jumping a little hard on the jerk move, but having read the initial comment, I think my reaction boils down to this?

1) this sounds like a company policy/health code compliance thing where you are allowed to have your coffee on station but not in a way that threatens the safety of your food prep.
2) employees are trained to and supposed to follow food safety, as well as this extra policy
3) they aint, despite repeated reassurances and speakings-to.
4) it IS a jerk move, but learning is done through repitition
5: Practical jokes have a purpose, as long as they are actually harmless
6) salt is not poison, but it does open the door to other liabilities/funnies. 'oh gee, salt wasn't working, lets put _x_ other dumbass substance in because boss does it
7) better S&T TT in your drink than a write up.
8) I think I'd rather have some seasoning in my drink than the alternative which is 'who threw my drink out and put the empty cup back in the holder?', which is what more liability focused management would do: get rid of the health violation immediately, then follow up with whomever it was to correct your behavior. The latter is just ugh for simple mistakes; the former is something i can laugh about.

Question: Who's more salty? the staff, or their drinks?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

What's the best item to steal from a sushi place?

Sigh. Unironically - All the other people being underpaid. The good staff.

Real answer: malicious, or just recipes/institutional knowledge you dont want to forget?

Alternatively, it sounds like you should have a follow up with your boss, and let them know you're not training anybody else/going the extra mile without revised pay.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 15, 2018

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

ApolloSuna posted:

I got gifted $900 in my budget for kitchen supplies. I basically have everything but I am grabbing a few 6 pans and lids etc. Anyone got any suggestions for random useful poo poo?

Electric knife sharpener, at least, if you have generic/lovely/lame kitchen beater knives and people who don't bring/maintain their own

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

So about these knives: they're nothing super fancy, but they're MINE. I don't want some of the new chucklefucks using and abusing them, and at least one other cook has an identical set. I don't have my own knife roll yet, and constantly get switched around stations, so what's the best way to label the handles? I have a Dremel, can I safely engrave my initials in a resin handle? Or I was thinking dots of nail polish, that shouldn't wash off? Looking for suggestions.

Colored rubberbands. Coordinate all your gear. Tongs, knives, the lot. Blue = you etc.

Dremel the blade, like, by the haft but up high like where your thumb rests - put initials on both sides. You know, where its pretty apparent reading but not close to the edge

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Alright, I've got a few questions over the last few pages that I want to ask, and I'd like to get them off my chest before it drags on further.

First!

Reminded me of that milgoon story about being on a crushingly boring sub tour in the Navy, and realizing their captain had plotted a course shaped like a dick. They had spent the week drawing a 300 mile long cock in the Pacific.

How the heck did you hear this story? I heard it firsthand in an irc channel years back, from a friend's friend who was actaully on that sub. They were both in the navy but one ended up on an aircraft carrier, another on a sub.

I'm not dead yet, and the manager OT has nearly paid off a quarter of my debt. If I keep this up, my financial stress will be gone! Also, how long can you go with only 4 hours of sleep on average every night? Asking for a friend.

Secondly, I'm curious how your manager OT is calculated. Do you still have to clock in to track it? is it straight time and a half or some other formula? I've heard for ages 'dont sign a salary position without an OT clause in it' and i'd like to know what the details of a good one are.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I have a quick question about wages here. Specificlaly, yeah, we all know kitchen pay sucks and hasn't kept up with inflation, (unless you work at a place that has deep pockets) but I'm wondering just how much value should be experience be worth?

Not just positions, but entry level vs 'i know what i'm doing actually'.

So, open floor I guess: what's someone who's worth their salt/has a few years down worth, above entry-level?

I know this varies from place to place and cost of living, but I'm just trying to get a feel for reasonable expectations.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

ApolloSuna posted:

I wouldn't take a kitchen job for less than 12 an hour and thats in Dallas.

Yeah, apparently low end cooking positions in the denver boulder area are starting at/upwards of 18/19 hourly.
I've seen some 45-50k line cook offerings in dallas/austin in my poking around. Hows life out there?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Yeah, that's when a large party says 'we'd like to rent your space for a party big enough its gonna mess up the rest of your service, just give us a price for the whole thing and night'.

Basically its what happens when you turn a venue into a catering event short-term. Often has things like 'where are we gonna fit the band' and 'sure we'll pay for an open bar'.

Glad to see your spirits are up, jd! (I'd take a PM to the GFM as well - i had a few words of advice from last page, and accidentally closed the tab writing so it got lost. Now i'm not sure its merited and this is easier. Take your win!)

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

kittenmittons posted:

I hate the holidays

I hate the holidays

I hate the liquor store bill!

I hate when cooks call out

Now I have to work the grill!

Chef de yada, chef de yada, chef de yada....

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

What are these things called "meal breaks" y'all keep talking about?

F'real, we get 2 x 5 min breaks, unless you're pulling a 5am to 3:30pm. Then you get --- hold onto your butts --- three! (Unless I'm the shift lead and the boss has already left; I'm the nice lead that lets you go catch a fiver whenever you want as long as you ask, your station's good, and you don't abuse my niceness. Sometimes you just need a loving cigarette or sit down for a minute or run to the gas station next door for a Red Bull.)

Yikes! with your newfound car, go cook in a state with decent labor laws!

Ours out here are basically two ten minute on the clock breaks every 4 hours (or majority time spent spent working, so 2.5 = break), plus one unpaid half hour meal break every 6 hours.

Of course, most people are too busy to take it, but its grounds to ask your employer to reimburse you for the time you got denied.

Seriously, though, good luck. The job hunt begins now.

SHVPS4DETH posted:

can't think of a dumbest rn but the smartest was a dude who cheesed it bc there was a bounty hunter asking for him at the front door

never saw him again, found out later he was a gigantic piece of poo poo

I saw someone actually arrested from the hot line around 11 am right during opening, on a friday, in an understaffed restaurant that just lost their star sous chef.

Federal bounty hunters for bailjumping in another state, after like 2-3 weeks on the job, just as they're starting to get the hang of things. Took him away in anklechains and cuffs, and locked the building down front and back until he was out in one piece.

It was the straw that broke the camel's back. Every other runner up for the position had taken other jobs :toot:

(We looked it up later. Apparently it was for a car accident or colission of some kind. Rip that guy.)

Unrelated question. I've heard repeated a lot: almost any restaurant ever runs 30% food cost and 30% labor, +/- a bit if they do something especailly good or awful, but that's the baseline.

What i'm curious about is what's the rough labor percentage for places that notoriously underpay or haven't caught up with inflation yet - how much of a difference does that make in the margins?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I'm with this poster. I'm no rocket surgeon when it comes to kitchen costs, but we have two cooks who are freakin' Johnny On The Spot when it comes to prep, as in, they will come up to me if I'm shift lead and beg for stuff to do.

At the risk of making callous assumptions - these are the people you bring wiht you to your next, better paying job. If your pay is crap, their pay is crap.
Everybody's understaffed, so keep the good apples like those close to hand.

Willie Tomg posted:

holy gently caress adjusted for inflation that's $23/hr

Just out of curiosity, where are you doing your inflation conversion? I've been trying to find one that's straight inflation, not CPI-based

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Lemons were a bit more of a head-scratcher for him. Again he suggested pudding (possibly for use in a custard pie) as well as lemon cookie bars, and some kind of lemon chicken stir-fry, which would probably keep well in steam tables if that's how your joint works.

I think my suggestion here is biscuits/scones and lemon curd. Something that isn't terribly difficult, yet is tasty. Good flaky biscuits aren't that hard to make and also freeze pretty great.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Dish is hiring at $10, which is a dollar over what I'm pulling now as a cook, so even that would be an improvement.

EDIT: OMG guys I just did some homework and the chef/owner is CIA trained and worked under some big names before opening his own place. And he wants to interview tomorrow based on my resume. I'm about ready to puke with anxiety. Gonna trim my nails and give myself a haircut tonight and sharpen my knives. GAAAAAHHHHH what else should I do to prepare for this? Oh poo poo I should wash my aprons, oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo do I need to buy chef whites oh gaaaaaawd

Lets see. Here's my interview routine:

Clean up, look nice, interview clothes. Fresh copy of resume.

Pack chefwear and knives and nonslip shoes in a bag/car in case of a stage.

Look up living wages in your area. mit epi

Look up their menu ahead of time. Take a gander at menu price and costs. For comparison, my wage asks from this point going forward are going to be looking for a salad and a soda(this is for experience, high return for minimal cost more) - Ilive in an area where cost of living is high, and a nice/fancy/sizable salad often run you 14-19.50 depending on protein choice and dinner v lunch. When I see places busy constantly, understaffed, clearly adjusting menu prices for cisco's latest price hike - and then offering experienced hires minimum wages, well. this is why I have this ballpark now. The 12$ burger is sort of a thing of the past - 15 and upward's common for pub fare.

Know your worth and be prepared to say no, I'll think about it, or 'i can start in in two weeks after my notice period.' Most restaurants try to hire on the spot, and/or start working the next day - and I get that lots of chefs are eager to jump at fresh opportunities, or chomp at the bit for something no - but its not a crime to ask for an offer letter in writing.

Cost of living adjustments in writing as part of your hiring agreement, or the assumption is you're looking for work in 3-6 months. Conversely, no salary without being paid OT.

Do some research. Glassdoor, tripadvisor, urbanspoon, you know, the usual. If the chef's name is on the menu, google that as well. Figure out if its going to be a nightmare to work for or not.

Now, granted, if you just want to BAIL on your current job asap, skip some of those steps - but don't sell yourself short, and give yourself those 2 weeks to keep looking.

Also, get contact info for current coworkers you get along with to put on your resume. You never know when a management is going to hold a grudge for leaving when you did.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Are they directly in a hot well, or are you using a sorta 'double-boiler-with-six-pans' method?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

ApolloSuna posted:

Ive been told to put the stuff in a plastic bag then my 6 pan.

The way my work solves this is to fill the well, put bars and metal six pans in(heat conductive) THEN put some hot water in the six pans, and plastic(won't radiate heat out the top) six pans inside the metal six pans, as well as a lid on top.

And maybe turn the hot well down a bit once its hot? If gravy's seperating it probably means its a touch too hot. Basically the plastic bag, only with containers meant for each other's shape.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Ah. Then your solution is the Hollandaise Solution - make a second batch halfway into service, after _x_ hours in the danger zone. Half size container, heat up a second pan later in the shift.

That seems a bit conservative, though - isn't it 'reheat to 165 for 15 seconds for all poultry/seafood products, a little less for pork/beef', then 'hold at 140+?'

This is worth checking up on your state's food regulations. I suspect your health department is giving you slightly incorrect but related information. Where are you located?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Yeah, all good advice. Furthermore, I believe that the new (american) laws dealing with unpaid internships are directly affecting how businesses deal with stages.

Its super crucial to see someone's work ethic in motion, and its also super crucial to pay your employees that make you money. Really, if you don't get the stage/pay off on the right foot its a mark against a modern business, and something I would judge the leadership for when applying.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

This was in the IT thread. its strangely relevant to kitchen work too.

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey, thread. Saw this, thought of you.

I know I'm gonna do something like this when I leave my terrible job.

Enjoy!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

poo poo.

Please tell me someone saved the second one with the ajus - looks like it was deleted off imgur.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

SHVPS4DETH posted:

fryer related question: we maintain one gluten-free fryer and one where the gluten-having stuff goes. i've wondered if there's any point to that bc i doubt that gluten stays (uh) gluten-y for very long in 350F degree oil, but who knows! celiac association websites all back up the practice but i've never found anything that quantifies it for certain. i also know ppl with celiac and hard to work around food allergies so i want to accommodate everyone possible whenever possible, but that one's always stuck with me. nothing wrong with an overabundance of caution when it comes to allergies/conditions. guess i'm just running low on sleep and grousing.

My immediate family is legic, actual celiac: They get sick and feel lovely from having products that share a frier with gluten contaminated produts.

Recently, on vacation in california we went out to breakfast. The server n establishment's menu was very acknowledging about gluten free possibilities, even some of the menu items were marked as free vs not, and could answer substutionts, etc:

Mom and sister subbed potatoes for something. Pretty sure it was with a huevos rancheros, corn tortilla, no cheese.

annd it was the 'dunk a bag of frozen potatoes in a frier' sort of chunky/triangle homefries. Normally catch this stuff, but I/we forgot to ask if the taters were fried.

Both had unpleasant days after

In comparison, my favorite pizza place has this on their menu, and i think it sums up the issue best:

"gluten-free (gf)
*Our Gluten-Free crust, ingredient list below, is locally provided by Deby's Gluten Free, Inc. Although our crust is Certified Gluten-Free, it is prepared in our common Pizza kitchen with the risk of gluten exposure and possibility of cross-contamination. Therefore, BLP does not recommend our Gluten-Free pizza for customers with celiac disease. Full Ingredient List: rice flour, sorghum flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, modified (non GMO) tapioca flour, rice bran oil, cane sugar, molasses, salt, yeast, and water. Deby's Gluten-Free crust is also vegan!"

(What's unstated is 'gee, this is going to go into an oven with non gluten free pizzas that have been cooked in it)

Tldr: yes, its a thing. But also how you seperarate the food fadders from extremely gluten sensitive people.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Gee.

Is there anything besides safflower oil that has a smoke point high enough to even GET that hot?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Thank you, JD! It is the barfgift that keeps on giving.

The thing that really gets me is the scuzz and detrius on the forward rim of the frier. I swear thats the kind of fried bits you get when the edge of fried chicken breaks off.

These things are -used- for -other products- AND THEN stuff is heated up in the middle of service in them like it ain't no thang.

and then when you have to take them out, oh gosh oil drips everywhere, and can you just imagine having to carry a red hot oil-dripping stockpot anywhere?

Its an absolute miracle that nobody's slipped and fell immediately upon lifting it out.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 3, 2019

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Wait. Without clicking, I have to guess - is this THE safety commercial one? With the dropping of pots and slipping and burning?

Edit: It is, and i'm glad its so distinctive everybody remembers it. Scrolled down like 2 posts and there was the familiar sight of people recognizing it.

Yeah, that thing is monstrous and accurate.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 4, 2019

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

To be fair, I did call him a heartless piece of poo poo in front of an entire brigade kitchen. But it's not a false statement, so I don't see why he's so hard up to fire me. Too bad for him, I know my rights, and documented everything along the way.

poo poo dude, aren't you at the new fairmont? At this point don't you have a moral obligation to like let corporate know they have a manager who thinks its okay to serve food while highly contagious/has an attitude that gets people killed?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I literally have managed thousands of people and have managed to treat them with respect and humanity - AMA

Whats the most frivolous orridiculous use of/excuse for a darn, i need a day off sickday that you've let slide?

Counterpoint, whats the one that made you laugh that someone had the balls to try it, and went 'haha no' for?

I understand there's degrees of imposition and inconvenience, and indivudual rapport/context matters - i'm both curious where the line lays, and fishing for funny stories at the same time.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

ha hah a ha. Hello friend, and welcome to the deep end.

The secret to all this is organization and being able to cook more than one thing at once.

I'm going to break your questions down a bit so its easier to manage.

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Making hollandaise, poaching eggs, and plating everything for 4 by myself was a loving adventure. How the hell is that sustainable at all in a restaurant setting?

What are the industry tricks for this? Do you just make a huge batch of hollandaise ahead of time? What about the poached eggs? There must be something that allows you to poach multiples at once.

Or do you just scream into the void if a table orders 4 eggs benedict?

For the eggs you use a big shallow pot. Keep it heated but not boiling, add a splash of vinegar, and grab your slooted spoon. basically you crack the eggs outside of the pot into a small transfer bowl, THEN give it a stir before adding eggs - the circular motion keeps eggs from stirring - then add the eggs into poach. Timer starts as soon as they're in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIvpbSEboYI Here's an illustrated guide to the trick.

Doing more than 2 eggs at once - double the water, bring it like 2/3 or 3/4 of the way up. WHen i worked brunch, i could easily work 6-8 eggs at once. Don't be afraid to use the spoon, pull an egg out and poke it to see if its done.

Ideally, you make a batch of hollandaise ahead of time and keep it hot (this is a struggle and very classic health concern because hollandaise exists within the danger zone of temperature, and high holds can ruin it and low holds can make it cold and yucky to serve), so there's 2-3 ways of coping with this: In a restaurant setting, make enough to last 2-4 hours and pitch/remake every so often as needed, and try to keep it hot/covered, add splashes of hot water if/when it dehydrates, and hope the butter doesn't seperate by keeping it too hot because then you're just in trouble.

Poaching eggs are the longest part. In a restaurant setting you get the toppings working and muffins toasting right after. I'm guessing you ran into the 'my toaster only fits 2 english muffins at a time' problem and didn't think of skillet-toasting with butter in the pan instead, and/or using the oven?

We still scream if that happens its not just you. Cooks have experience coping brunch induced ptsd prepare ahead of time[s] to get crushed.

What was your kitchen arrangement for your brunch party, and in what order did you make what, and what were your 'problem spots' or felt like a chore?'

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Mithross posted:

Edit: I guess I should add what I know already. I know it’s a salaried position, I know it’s an expected 50-55 hours a week, but you do get two set days off a week that they actually mostly stick with. I know I’ll get benefits and PTO, and a fairly generous amount that I will probably mostly have to buy out.

Get manager Ot in writing, i think.

if you want specific help with numbers - what part of the world/city are you looking at?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I'll just chime in to this argument with:

Hey! Guess what I overheard Saturday! According to our owner, women have no place in the kitchen!

I've been Godzilla-scale furious about this over my two days off, about to go back in for tonight's shift. I'm a loving softie and will will give my proper 2 weeks notice if I can find something else, but gently caress YOU if you think I'm giving this rich, retired white male lawyer who knows such jack poo poo about food that he complained that our crostini were "stale" another loving goddamn penny

Don't let it get to you, JD. you just got to a better place!

Get references from the people who DO like your work ethic first (like the people who did welcome you in), THEN bring it up with the boss.

If only because the best revenge is living well: Make it your boss's problem, leverage it into a raise, and use that to negotiate your next position better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I thought california law made breaks mandatory, and got both the employer and employee in trouble if you DIDN'T take them?