Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

precision posted:

Woof this cast looks pretty bad. :( It doesn't even look like there's a Crazy One, maybe Kellyn? And lmao "social media strategist" being a real thing.
Chris is going to be totally crazy I'd guess, and Domenick will be the new crazy strategy and idol guy.

I like Wendell, Brendan, and (yes) Donathan on first blush.
Poison might be Domenick or Angela

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

precision posted:

I think Wendell looks potentially very cool.

I think also maybe I'm biased since I never pay attention to pre-release stuff, for all I know the PR bios always make everyone seem boring. I doubt anyone could have guessed for example how good Fishback and Jeremy (and their bromance) were gonna be Or how crazy Cass was in her first season.
If anyone's into the show enough to listen to podcasts, RHAP has the "First One Out" series where Josh Wigler interviewed all the players pregame. You can actually hear them talking and interacting with another person so you know a little bit what to expect from them, and they give some first impressions of each other too that they picked up from seeing them around Ponderosa pre-game. There's I think 4 interviews per episode and also a bunch of Wigler waxing poetic about the game that I listened to maybe once before skipping past.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Spatula City posted:

I'm really undecided on watching this season live, given the shitshows that were Gamechangers and the last season. I mean, at least Gamechangers had a good winner that got there without insane amounts of production help. The winner of the last season should have a permanent asterisk next to his name. That final four "advantage"...it's going to be in this season probably, too, and that's HORSESHIT. It's Jeff's blatant attempt to get people like last season's winner the win, at the expense of more strategic players that were more social and strategic.
Ben's last idol being buried right at the boat that he allegedly liked to rest on everyday definitely is questionable.

Anyway, they're being told in advance this time about the bad f4 twist, at least.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Michael seems surprisingly mature for an 18-year-old. And I don't mean in the Will Wahl way, which is like, yeah this is obviously an 18-year-old kid but he's smart and better behaved than a lot of adults. I mean more like you'd have no idea this guy is 18, and he's also already living the life of an adult.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Somehow Chris came off as slightly less of a disaster than Domenick, although not surprised by those two guys butting heads at all, and Domenick has the temporary advantage there thanks to his idol.

James keeps diving to release the underwater cage while Donathan whimpers on the dock, but then Donathan finally steps up and does it: looks like Donathan whimpering on the dock for so long is why you lost the challenge more than anything else, to me. What a hero. I like the kid really, but come on!

I really had the wrong read on neon leggings Stephanie coming into this. I thought she'd be the easy first boot basically on sight but she basically owned that episode. I think she made the right decision letting Jacob go. The three pretty people are still a minority over there, and this keeps the peace going into a shuffle.

The Bloop posted:

Talk about making the right move by accident

I mean, I don't think he really meant to get voted to Ghost Island but it 100% saved his rear end
Yeah, I think he was just having a laugh / pumping his tribe up with that speech and then he claimed puppet master when it got him sent to Ghost Island. But even if he did antagonize the opposing tribe on purpose, he stupidly outed his plan by bragging about it. That guy was kind of a mess in every possible way.

DurosKlav posted:

And why the gently caress are they doing it in the first god drat tribal. This is dumb.
I feel like Gonzales had a strong, strong feeling that her number was up and didn't want to sit there passively and let it happen, so good for her I guess, even though she didn't change anything. You wouldn't want to go out knowing you knew it was coming and did nothing.

I'm not very surprised she was the first one out though, because she was one of those very overconfident, cocksure people that can play themselves out of the game. She had all kinds of condescending pre-game judgments of the cast, and obviously thought she was hot poo poo.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

to start with Domenick was wrong that Chris made the wrong move pulling the plug on that slide puzzle. Desiree had been working on it for a few minutes and hadn't progressed at all, and clearly didn't know how to do slide puzzles. Secondly,

Domenick: "hey Sea Bass!"
Sebastian: ".."
Domenickl: "anyone ever call you Sea Bass?"
Sebastian: "no.."
Domenick: "But you're a fisherman! And your name is Se-bas-tian! You're Sea Bass now"
Sebastian: "uhh ok"
Sebastian: "yeah lets vote domenick out"

:lol:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

And if you're practicing slide puzzles on your phone, weird carnival games in your living room, taking swimming lessons at Y in the afternoons, and spending weekends camping then you're probably at best just getting mediocre at all of them. Which still is better than the alternative, but like I said, a big rear end project.
If you google "slide puzzle solution" you can learn how to do a slide puzzle pretty much right away. They all work the same way, so you apply the same method available on google every time, and you can learn how to do it in literally a couple minutes. This is the easiest thing on the list of things to learn, and the basic straightforward slide puzzle does show up pretty frequently. Which I like. Keep throwing it out there and let people who bothered to learn it be rewarded.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

DurosKlav posted:

Oh look a hidden immunity idol found with no clue, and seemingly little effort required.
I think there was some effort there, it was that whole original Malolo group of the tribe looking, and if you noticed in some of the cuts in the montage, their clothes were different than in others, so it didn't happen all at once either.

I'm kind of surprised they took out Morgan instead of just firing at Domenick, but I guess the Morgan vote was safer and the people that did it will be in a good position coming out of it. I mean, Wendell and Domenick just voted for Angela, and Chris already hates Domenick, I don't think they really have to be afraid of that group coming together against them. The only real risk is Dom's bag of idols.

Interesting that when they were discussing targets, someone was like, "No, let's not do Wendell," and so just like that he was off the table, but Libby couldn't save Morgan. So, it's like Libby wasn't as willing to take a stand or just isn't listened to as much, but she still got that story edit about being close to Morgan and cutting her that makes me think she might be a player.

One move not getting any attention was Angela deciding against Chris's plan, and rejoining and being willing to go to rocks for a group that didn't trust her and voted against her.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Propaganda Machine posted:

Supposedly Kelly Wiggles got the invisible edit in Second Chances because she "wouldn't give the producers what they wanted."
Unlike in her first season.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Shneak posted:

A massive comeback because one tribe couldn't get their balls up.
Seems like that challenge was quietly designed to allow for a comeback, the way after every additional ball gets up there you've got less room for the next one. That'll make the last one the hardest and open you up more to losing a ball you've got up there.

Michael's bluff saying the idol gave double immunity was good, his read was just wrong. He even set up a moment to check out Bradley's crestfallen face after he said the idol was for himself and Brendan but still got a Stephanie read. Tough.

It really is hard to think of a good way to convince people to flip at Tribal in that sort of spot. Like, if you tell them all that you're targeting a specific person, then everyone who isn't that person knows they have nothing to lose by staying strong. Even if the idol is played right, it's still 4-4 and the other alliance would still welcome you if you wanted to flip later. On the other hand, if you threaten that you're voting randomly, potential flippers don't even know where to vote, and a few flailing flips could send their own randomly selected rear end out, even without the idol being played right.

It seems like you should be able to leverage the "fact" that you have a 50% chance to idol correctly into a flip, but it's not easy.

bbf2 posted:

The move is to say "I'm playing this (fake double) idol on two of us. These two girls are voting for Bradley, and me and Brendan will be putting two votes on another one of you that we picked earlier at random. The only way to guarantee its not you going home is for you to vote Bradley"

(and then in actuality all four of them vote Bradley but hopefully this scares at least one of them into adding a fifth vote as well)
Maybe this is the right way to do it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

CODChimera posted:

Having said that it was still a god drat impressive performance from Michael and I loved the saving two people bluff, that was clever, did it show who came up with that?

That episode warmed me up a lot to this season. There could be some potential here...
That bluff was good enough that I bet Survivor producers took some notes, and we could see a double idol someday.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Mighty Moltres posted:

No game two weeks in a row, then when there IS one, she doesn't play. I'm starting to think ghost island is dumb.
I'd bet that game will keep being there now until someone gets whatever the advantage is. So next person to go to Ghost Island will have a game, and if they play and lose, next person will have a game, and so on, until that advantage is won

Zesty posted:

Ghost Island as a game mechanic is bad. It’s just exile island with an optional gamble.
It was kind of interesting as an escape from Tribal Council. I don't really understand the timing of how that mechanic ended, like why was it there one vote after the swap and then changed the next? Will it change back? It's weird.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

No, that's not going to change anything really. You're saying you're going to split the votes so if the idol is real it's going to be 2-2, so they could still stick to their guns and vote Bradley out on a revote.
It doesn't have to be like that. If the minority faction's threat is that they'll send the random player home if nobody flips, and the tie is between Bradley and the random player, those two lose their votes and the minority faction takes the numbers.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 16, 2018

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

ApplesandOranges posted:

The Shirin-Will stuff in the middle was just uncomfortable, but it's a breath of fresh air compared to Koah Rong and Game Changers.

It's okay. Not great, but I think the winner was fine, and I don't dislike them like I did Sarah.
I liked it less than those, but it has some good moments, like the whole auction and auction fallout was pretty great, but overall, watching it week-to-week, it just got enormously dragged down by the Will stuff, where that was all anyone could talk about anymore as it was airing, and that sort of thing really doesn't have anything to do with a good season of Survivor imo. It might actually be better on a fast rewatch actually since you can just move on to the next episode instead of getting bogged down in Will/Shirin chat for weeks. I was a bit annoyed by the ending but it had nothing on last season, which took it from "this guy is lucky he got to the end since nobody wanted him in the game starting at f9" to "this guy has literally no business making it to the end."

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Kinda hating that division between old Malolos and old Naviti on the new Malolo tribe. I mean, not just because it's pagonging out people I liked and making for boring episodes, but I also just don't think it's very good gameplay.

Maybe vote out an original Malolo in the first vote so you all can be safe, but you should be finding people from the other tribe you like and forging new alliances here. Or at least pretend to sell them on the idea that they're with you. This is a very short-term game they're playing that'll keep them all safe in their current tribe makeup but with the risk of isolating themselves big time if the other tribe is getting along, since whoever survives your pagong is gonna badly want to flip against you.

What they're doing is better for post-merge gameplay, but in the first swap it's just not smart to draw such extremely firm lines in the sand. You have no idea what's going on at that other beach.

Lone Goat posted:

I'm surprised Stephanie didn't get an opportunity at a game on Ghost Island since Kellyn passed it update last episode.
Yeah i'd predicted they'd work that way and I guess I was completely wrong.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 22, 2018

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

and Bradley thinks he's Boston Rob or Kim because he's rigidly keeping that group in line, even though it's only 5 people in a game with 15 left. Really hope when they swap, Michael or Jenna come with him and are like "this guy suuucks" and he's voted out immediately. Even though Dom and Chris hate each other, I think the rest of that other tribe is making all kinds of bonds, Dom and Wendel with Laurel and Donathan, Chris maybe with some people, who knows.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I'm basically with you on that. Chris was right about the pulling the plug on the puzzle and Dom was an idiot for taking Jeff's bait and complaining and for being wrong in his complaint. Plus, Dom is the skeevy sort of idol-fake idol-idol manic guy that wears on me that Survivor wants to always have in the cast now, so that again puts me team Chris in this feud.

But there's no doubt that Chris is totally full of himself and thinks he's God's gift to the world, and I think Dom is the better social player. It's just for right now I prefer Chris enough that his outlandishness makes him more of a character for me than a villain. And he really was a beast at throwing at those targets, which was impressive to watch.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I'm just mad they're screwing around with the Ghost Island mechanic. It originally hid someone from a TC, and then post-swap, it still hid Chris Noble from a TC. Why did it suddenly change after that?! It would have been so much better if it hadn't. KellyN gone would've made that first Bradley vote 4-4, and more interesting than the straight 5-4 numbers we had, even if Michael's idol play was a fun try. Then in the next vote, Stephanie would've been safe on GI, and maybe Michael plays his idol right or I don't know, but it would've been better, and also I'm just frustrated how illogical it was for the Ghost Island TC escape to disappear at a seemingly random point.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

They don't know that. I'm all for the whinefest about how females don't "get to" play the same game guys do, but if you're spending enough time building enough false hope to get a vote-out reaction like Libby did, I'm going to assume she personally went too far.
I agree with you. It's not like Libby was scheming to stick the knife in Morgan but she participated in it, and then flat out said something like, "Don't think I'm innocent just because I'm pretty," which kind of amplified the betrayal and it's basically that line of hers that Dom is echoing when he talks about her being dangerous

ApplesandOranges posted:

I also find it interesting that Kelly and Desiree were pitching to get rid of James instead of Michael. They've seen first hand that Michael is dangerous, and they know Angela has a bond with James. If you want to sway someone who's on the edge, pitching to vote out their ally isn't the best appeal. It worked out for them, at least.
Yeah, when Angela is seemingly the swing vote, I don't know why neither side didn't just ask who which person she'd like to vote off on the other side. Telling her James's name instead of Michael's seemed like a really bold move after he was one of the Malolos that kept her in the game, and when you kind of need her vote.

So I figured, oh, Michael must have come together with Kellyn/desiree, agreed to vote James, and put himself ahead of Angela in the pecking order.

Preview talk: Buuut preview for next episode shows him saying he's in trouble again. So who knows?

Looks like Bradley might do something extra lovely next episode?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Possible discussion topic
https://twitter.com/DaltonRoss/status/979326174538149889

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I don't think Kellyn will have trouble making new social bonds at the merge, because I think she has a natural ability with that sort of thing. However, I do see some red flags. She was shown crying when Stephanie was talking at TC before being voted out, and in his exit press Brendan said he was pretty sure the vote would be on him because she started crying when he was talking to her pre-tribal. So my concern is a) she telegraphs stuff, b) she might not have a big betrayal in her, and c) she is the most likely player in a long time to Kimmel her FTC, and spend it crying and apologizing for her game. But I think she has the social likability to make it near the end, and to the end if she's not perceived as too much of a beloved player to bring all the way.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Schlonged Again posted:

I think the problem is partly this, but mostly it's that the constant and pointless tribe swaps have ruined the pre-merge game. It's been an issue for a few seasons now, but it's very evident this season.
I think a lot of the time swaps mix up tribal lines more which helps prevent a boring post-merge. And in a season like MvX, all three post-swap tribes flipped on their pre-swap majorities. I am fine with 1-2 swaps, I think

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lone Goat posted:

It was really funny this week when people were all :byodood: I'M LOYAL TO MY TRIBE :byodame: referring to the one they spent 6 days in, and not the one they spent 9 days in after that.
Angela sucks but i guess these specific people didn't betray Angela AND original naviti will clearly have the numbers in future swaps and at merge so maybe not the most opportune time to vote against them. Her best hope is Chris gets voted out soon so she can just sit there safe and anonymous at the bottom of the majority alliance totem pole until the moment to do some moves presents itself. I doubt she was considering that stuff though and she seems like shes just a dumb rigid person that drank KellyN's kool aid

clown shoes posted:

OK I made a thing...

Nice

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 2, 2018

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Rob C said both tribes should just automatically go to Tribal in e1 to force some lines and let people know where they stand and I thought that was a pretty solid idea.

SweetJahasus posted:

Weird question here, but does anyone else watch this on the CBS app and have audio mix issues? When I watch it on my laptop or on my PS4, it gives the same problems where the talking is very very quiet but the music is VERY VERY loud. I have to jack up the volume to hear what anyone says, but that leads to every music cue or sting to be piercingly loud, so I usually just end up having to closed caption the whole thing.

Haven't been able to find any options to adjust, but it feels like an issue with their lovely streaming service since it's happening across multiple devices.
Yep

I feel like previously I was able to mirror my phone on the Apple TV bullshit and it sounded okay... Now the mixing is way off so I can't.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Bradley is an asshat but he's an entertaining asshat.
Bradley was such a little poo poo that we got multiple weeks of story of what a little whining arrogant dick he was, before he was backstabbed primarily for being a dick right after he gave a confessional where he admitted he's a dick and that being a dick might be his biggest weakness.

Excellent villain in the "as much of a douche as is possible while still being basically harmless" vein; he didn't go full Varner or even get into the Jason/Scot bullying territory... he was just an entitled hatable snot. Fun! And fun to see him blindsided.

Lone Goat posted:

Think this is a bone headed move here but can appreciate the comedy.
My thinking to justify it strategically is this: Donathan and Laurel had approached Wendel and Dom about allying up on the previous tribe, right? And Libby was on that tribe too. With this move, Dom solidifies these three people as allies, for the cost of one rear end in a top hat ally, who might have driven away swing voters.

Short-term he's still safe on that tribe, and for a merge battle with Chris, he might be better armed now. Like, it's possible that without this move, Chris/Angela/Sebastian/Jenna get all the other Malolos joining them at merge (Laurel, Donathan, Michael) for a majority. Now I think Laurel, Donathan, Michael, plus Libby are more likely to be on the Dominic side.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Well, what he did was provide proof of concept that he'd vote with them against Naviti. I do feel actually voting together is a very good way to make an alliance real.

Contrast that to Michael's treatment, where he's been left alive and looped in perhaps on some votes, but never once seen a Malolo survive a single Tribal Council. You think Michael would really want to stick with Kellyn and Bradley at merge? If he had any choice, I doubt it, but now by doing this, Dominic might get a player like him over to their side, especially with supporting testimony from other Malolos.

We don't know where Donathan and Laurel would have gone after a Libby boot, but we do know Donathan was starting to bond with Chris a little, and that if Dominic is linked up with Bradley and Kellyn, that Michael and Jenna would be around to tell Laurel/Don that cracking the inner Naviti in that group is absolutely hopeless.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Nexal posted:

Has the following play been tried out yet in any season?

Play: Have a good early bond with someone in pre- merge. Find idol with paper. Give paper to your buddy and tell him/her to make fake idol. Keep real one to yourself and thus this way your buddy can show the fake idol with paper to make people believe. You keep real idol. This way if swap happens to 3 tribes you can protect yourself with the idol and make your buddys fake idol also a tool to be used to convince people/ cause FUD.
That's a good idea. It definitely hasn't been done on the US series.

clown shoes posted:

I think a smart fake idol play would be to make a fake idol after finding a real idol that way if you get found out you can play the fake idol at tribal to throw off suspicion. You'd be safe at that tribal because even though it's a fake idol people would think it was real and expect you to play it, and you won't be voted out at that tribal because people know you have it. Regardless of whether they were going to vote you out or just flush out the idol, you won't get any votes at that tribal. After the fake idol is revealed and Jeff throws it in the fire the other players will think you were duped and start to suspect each other of possessing the real idol. At the next tribal council you can shock everyone by revealing that you had the real idol all along. If it's a scenario where all the votes were cast against you, which are then canceled out, your sole vote will give you all the power.
This is a decent idea but don't forget about vote splits. If everyone thinks you have the idol, they could make sure to put the majority of votes on you to force you to play it, with back-up votes on someone else for when you do.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Really glad Chris was too dumb to play his idol that was only good for 2 tribals... Nice to get that story line out of the way for some different ones.
Yeah, basically. Entertaining guy but probably about time to get his exit out of the way.

When he was playing that game I was thinking the entire time, this dude needs to lose immediately for his own sake or he's 100% gonna walk out with the idol in his pocket. Sure enough, even having it for one more tribal was too tempting for him.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Angela's plan to sow chaos or whatever just amounts to throwing someone already on the bottom further under the bus. She was probably resentful at him for pointing out the obvious, if she really was left out, and decided to punish him for it

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Libby turned herself into a threat by blindsiding Morgan and then boasting afterward about how she's not just a pretty face. Anyway, her decision to sell out Michael came tantalizingly close to voting herself out. Once they read the 25 canceled Michael voted I honestly didn't think there'd be more than 1 left to be on Libby

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, Navati made the typical vote split potential math mistake but I chalk it up to Wendell (and Dom) basically calling the shots and them feeling secure enough with Laurel that she wouldn't risk blowing everything up and ending up on the wrong side of the numbers right now. If I'm Wendell I'm less concerned with Laurel and Donathan on this vote than I am with people like Desiree, Sebastian, Angela, and Chelsea getting antsy. Or Kellyn pulling a power move. But much like he figured last week if Navati is splitting he's screwed.

A lot of Navati are kind of floating right now so... Kellyn is the only other one I'd expect to do the math but I get the vibe she's just got a real big head about her game and I guess Wendell and Dom are placating her and making her feel in control. I can't tell if she has control over the girls since I can't tell what happened last week with Desi and Angela's votes.
But what if they think Donathan and Laurel are secure but aren't so sure about Michael, Jenna, and Libby? The Navitis put only 2 on Libby, Michael plays his idol, and those 3 vote Wendell or whoever out.

Notice btw the unsecured Malolos in this scenario are the ones that were under the Bradley-Kellyn boot. If Laurel and Donathan didn't have a better offer, the Navitis would not have been able to split the vote. Unfortunately they did have a better option than blindsiding Naviti and still being down in the numbers.

I'm looking forward to more people turning on Dom and Wendell though. Too much power there, Wendell's idol not even flushed.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm not going to fault him too much there, it seemed like a pretty casual conversation which would probably happen any day while they're just whiling away at camp. Remember that the editors only show us what's relevant, so there could have been a dozen talks like that between any pair. Michael did roast too many people, but I'm not going to stress too much on him having to be alert in every conversation 24/7.
Yeah me neither, he was trying to flip the bottom Naviti. So he made the case to her why she shouldn't work with the other Navitis.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

sportsgenius86 posted:

Des seems like the crack to exploit.

She just seems like she’s dying to take the reins in any way she can.
I don't think we've seen anything whatsoever to indicate that except the preview for next episode.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yea Ghost Island is a joke. It's basically Exile Island, but there is a chance you could play for an advantage that's never worked in someones favor previously.
one thing that's really shocking is that a producer thought a player opening a parchment that says "Sorry, no game for you today" would be anything but boring and frustrating for players and viewers alike.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Des was good and Laurel was a rat, actually. Even Donathan was onboard for Des's plan but Laurel made the executive decision to scurry over to the power and sell the player offering a lifeline out.

I know Laurel is in good with Dom and Wendell, but she can't beat them and they both have idols. So what's the plan? Man, if I were Michael or Jenna, whose game Laurel just bombed for Kellyn's sake, I'd be saying I didn't know what Laurel was talking about and Desiree never said poo poo. Because Des was a better friend to them than Laurel was.

Of course whether Des could actually deliver Chelsea and Angela is another question and I kind of doubt it. But when Dom and Wendell steamroll on to the end game phase blame Laurel, not Des. At least Des tried.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 26, 2018

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I think going along with the Kellyn boot would have been a pretty good move for Laurel, because as someone else mentioned, it would've put the Malolos ahead of the numbers internally in that alliance, and Desiree and Chelsea would be the bigger targets since they were the ones that would be betraying their original tribe. She could still point to her alliance with Dom and Wendell as something that accomplished its goal (kept her safe at merge), and if she wants them back, after Kellyn goes out they'll have no one else to go to anyway...

STAC Goat posted:

That's the thing. It very much seems to me that Desi never had the momentum. She clearly didn't have Angela's vote because she gambled it saying she was safe with Naviti. That would suggest she didn't have Chelsea either, and nothing seemed to indicate she did. It makes sense for Mololo but I never got the sense Desi really sold it to them. Maybe Laurel cut it off before it could pick up steam, but that's still on Desi since it was her move to try and make happen.
I did myself already say I don't know if she really could have delivered Chelsea and Angela's votes. (Chelsea, maybe.) If she couldn't then obviously this entire conversation is moot. It's more fun just to assume she could or else there's obviously no point debating any of us.

ApplesandOranges posted:

The other reason why I think Laurel misplayed it is because of jury management. Laurel just sent home an angry juror who will very likely not vote for her to win. Sure Desiree's likely pissed at the rest of the Malolos and Domenick, but to her, Laurel was the one who blew up her game.
Yeah, if Laurel makes it to the end with either Dom or Wendell, the jury is going to rip into her big time.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

sportsgenius86 posted:

In the long view, Kellyn hosed herself harder than anyone else last night. She was in a pretty stable position and now she's more or less shown to Dom and Wendell with her rant to Dom that she's more on the girls side than theirs. She's not in immediate danger but I think the move put a 5th/6th place ceiling on herself.

I know she ultimately went with the group to vote out Desi, but Dom doesn't seem like the type of person to forget about that conversation.
Kellyn/Chelsea/Angela + Jenna/Michael + extra vote
Dom/Wendell/Laurel/Sebastian + Donathan?

do it Kellyn!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Interesting tidbit from the exit interview, Desiree confirmed Kellyn and Chelsea left her (and presumably Angela) out of the Chris vote. Those two ended up voting Libby by themselves. Kind of gives a little more context to Desiree's decision to flip, and takes Kellyn's refusal to believe Des could be flipping against her from overconfidence up to flat out arrogance and disrespect, to me.

Des says she would have pulled in Chelsea after voting out Kellyn, so I assume Des was counting Angela's vote for the 6-5 advantage.

I agree on (1), not as sure on (2) in the post above btw.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 27, 2018

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

mancalamania posted:

Over the summer, I was listening to some RHAP podcast about Big Brother where they pointed out how weird it is that these shows are so crucially built upon lies and yet it's surprisingly rare for someone to actually lie about an Event happening or not happening. Instead, 99% of the lies on Survivor are about who is alligned with who, who is *planning* to vote for who, who has or doesn't have an idol, etc. The podcasters questioned why players never try this other type of lie, where they just make up some super specific Event and just emphatically insist that it happened or didn't happen; the theory was that because this type of lie is so rare and unexpected on these shows that it would probably end up being surprisingly effective if someone tried it.

Anyway, that thought has been stuck in my head for like a year now, and I'd like to thank Desiree for illustrating that it's a bad idea after all. But A for effort! And the fact that Kellyn believed her for so long (especially given that Kellyn left Des out of the Chris vote just a few days prior!) is evidence that maybe there's still a kernel of a good idea here for the future.
Desiree's lie doesn't fit what they were talking about, though! They were discussing the proactive lie. Desiree just got caught doing something and reacted by dishonestly denying it.

If in trying to boot Kellyn she'd gone up to Dom and said, "Kellyn said she's worried about your idol and we need to move on you soon," totally making that up, that'd have been more what they meant, right?

Lone Goat posted:

The wandoff is actually extremely good, ya big dumdum.
I like it okay. The first time someone layered in some wah wah wahs in the background it ruled and some of the people that enter are pretty talented but I've heard enough Survivor song parodies for a lifetime just by listening to about half of those. And there's so much Survivor content they put out, I've crossed the Wiggle room off the list and just listen to KIA and the recap/voice mails.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I never listen to it anymore but had to go back to check out Nick Maiorano's song.

Tyler's recap was actually one of the better ones this season I feel like. Figgy's was fun too and the only drawback there is that she's been trying real hard to get on any possible Survivor podcast or product. Neither of those people were particularly good Survivor characters but sometimes guests surprise you. otoh I was excited for Ali's appearance and then thought she really didn't have a clue what she was talking about, she kept repeating that people shouldn't get voted out "just because they're on the outs" and I was like what the hell do you think this show even is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

What was Jenna thinking voting Donathan anyway? I hate that kind of behavior. She's clearly not part of the Naviti alliance, but there she is doing their bidding for no benefit of her own. Imagine if Donathan had played his idol for her, and her vote took him out! Is it really worth risking that just for the opportunity to show the dominant alliance that you threw your vote their way like a good little spineless bottom dweller? And it's not likely, but maybe if she hadn't been betraying Donathan he would've picked up a better vibe from her and he would have played his idol for her.

STAC Goat posted:

Kellyn is a mess and she probably blew up a lot of her game pulling that stunt right after last week's stuff. Maybe she can salvage numbers with the B Team but if you're Dom and Wendell you gotta be pissed and her throwing out two votes on Laurel the week after Laurel saves her rear end is a bad look and should be funny in the dark damage control next week. On the other hand she might be goating herself.
If you assume Michael's idol is real, I like the play, because I think in a 0-1-1 vote Wendell and Dom would have saved Laurel over Kellyn. It also easily could've been 0-2-1 because Michael voted Kellyn with Laurel. I mean, I feel like she could have called Michael's bluff by asking to see the idol, but again, if we assume it's real, it was a pretty big ask by Dom for her to just sit there and do nothing with her life on the line. Like the kind of thing someone who values Laurel over you would do.

Vernacular posted:

So, who from the B team goes with Dom/Wendell to create the majority? Feels like we're meant to assume its Kellyn, but she's also been the most "Rah Rah Naviti" from the get-go. Maybe Chelsea because of her prior relationship with Dom?

I'm having a hard time seeing somebody aside from Dom/Wendell winning at this point. Laurel could orchestrate some sort of rebellion, but the edit thus far has shown her as being 100% subservient to those guys. She has also essentially gone in too far with them to back out now, as she would for sure be voted out by the Naviti women if she were to flip. She's starting to look more like a goat than anything else, which is sad because she started out looking promising. Kellyn has shown herself to be a lucky, mediocre player who is generally out-of-the-loop and doesn't operate well under pressure. Donathan is playing an okay game, but I don't see him navigating past Dom/Wendell. And who fuckin knows about the always invisible Chelsea/Seabass/Angela. Those three aren't doing anything.

Anyway, anybody not named Dom or Wendell needs to start focusing 100% of their efforts into breaking that pair up cuz they are cruising right now.
Exactly. Domenick and Wendell are so obviously a tight pair, so obviously powerful, and so far out in front, and they've even got a spy with the outsiders in their lackey Laurel, it's more of the same as the Jenna thing, someone on the bottom serving the people at the top and enabling them in order to save their own skin (so they can be berated and shut out at FTC?).

The only thing is, Dom/Wendell are so obvious that you'd think everyone turning on them eventually would be an inevitability. Like, if people ever wise up and stop serving the two of them, Dom and Wendell are just two guys!! You could even see a vote split at F8, 3-3-2, taking one out or forcing them both to play their idols, or 3-2-2 at F7. And then you could mop the other up soon after. But with the edits Chelsea, Angela, and Sebastian are getting, I don't really feel like there's any chance those people are going to the end game? Probably Kellyn will keep those three in line and they'll all shout "Naviti rules!" as they drive off the cliff together like the O'Doyles.

Change feels pretty hopeless atm and props to Dom and Wendell if they do make it to the end, but it'll have been a frustrating ride if nobody ever challenges them.

• Locked thread