Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i liked the swinging but mark has a point. on McIntosh, he is never gonna be happy with violence in game unless every game has his exact ideals and even then it won't be good enough because he would find some other element to get offended/angry about. i remember seeing other progressive critics on twitter openly laughing at his bullshit a bunch of times because he is weird joke. as i said, i think if he wasn't such a prudish morality policeman, he would probably like red dead 2 and his themes. i mean this dude got offended by this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXbFP2V_zSA i feel like he saw how bad actual toxic masculinity is and decided gently caress that and went left but he went to the farthest extreme the other way and basicaly thinks everything is toxic maculinty. its kinda sad.

Since I don't know McIntosh aside from his mentions here, I will assume he knows all those Ravagers are the ones who murdered their former crewmates by throwing them out into space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Testekill posted:

I need to catch up with their stuff since I haven't even gotten started on Armada yet.

And just recently they started William Shatner's TekWar. Well, the book he had ghost-written under his name as TekWar. It's shockingly racist in parts.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Given what I know about William Shatner, I'm not surprised by either of those counts.

What's really (not) funny is either the racist stuff was Shatner's idea, his ghost-writer put it in and Shatner approved it, or he didn't bother to look at or read anything and thus best case scenario he's a racist by... omission, maybe?

In happier news, Mike and Conor get a lot of mileage out of the book's attempt to future things up with the abundance of 'plas-noun' and 'las-noun.' Also that robots print things out when you ask them questions. The future belongs to Dot Matrix.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Chuck's fans have had him review multiple My Little Pony episodes, surely an actually influential animated feature which takes after the science of real rabbit colonies is far more justifiable.

It would be super nice if the people who pony up enough to pay him to review stuff actually gave him good stuff to review.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I did! He still hasn't reviewed it :(

Even without knowing what it was, I'm positive Chuck's time would be better spent with it than Full Moon.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Eagerly awaiting the one from Count Jackula where he talks about all the female superheroes he jerked it to. Because he put out a video the day after Carrie Fisher died proudly insinuating that he jerked off to Slave Leia a lot. There’s no joke there. I’m just saying Count Jackula is one gross motherfucker.

While looking for funny reviews of horror flicks, I stumbled on Jackula but did not linger long. Doing shock value for humor requires one be funny for it to work.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mokinokaro posted:

Valve is, as revealed by ex employees, basically a hellhole of cliques with Gaben ultimately deciding what gets focus.

So it's like high school but you have to work video game dev hours? Ew.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I feel like while Stan Lee did have a problem with sharing proper credit, its worth remembering that one of the people who pushed the "Stan Lee, History's greatest monster" narrative was Steve Ditko, who was a total nutbar objectivist psycho who refused every olive branch Marvel ever offered him and probably would have pulled a Bob Kane without a second thought had his and Stan's positions been switched.

Like somebody on Twitter put it, you know who would have no sympathy for Steve Ditko? Steve Ditko.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

does he actually make anything good anymore? most of the stuff he makes seems to be loving marvel and cape movies and talking about how Nintendo is the greatest thing ever,, or talking about how we should sterilize the rurals so he, the supreme intellectual technocrat godhead can bring humanity to greatness.

Is the latter bit where the Bob "Eugenics" Chipman thing comes from?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

John Murdoch posted:

As someone who had something similar happen (albeit nowhere near as dramatic/fueled by social media) I empathize with Allison 200%. What a piece of poo poo.

Yeah. Brad was in the position to be able to shrug it off, being white, male and middle class. Like Doug, I don't think he's capable of stepping outside his box.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kim Justice posted:

It's kind of easy to avoid Roman Polanski tbh, just don't watch his films

(I mean, I saw most of them many years ago anyway before taking up that position so feh)

Sometimes I do sit and think "I should probably watch Chinatown" and then just go 'eh.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kim Justice posted:

Of all the Woody Allen films there are, you're interested in the very rubbish one where he dubs over a crap Japanese spy flick?

I mean, I dunno, it's possible that someone's waiting for him to die purely so they can feel ok about watching "Anything Else" or "Cassandra's Dream" again I suppose

Allen is one who I feel fortunate enough to have seen a lot of his work before I found out about him. I was able to enjoy Love and Death with a clear conscience, and honestly it's still one of my favorite comedies.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

When you’re built like a brick shithouse but also more fragile than ancient papyrus.

Who went and liposuctioned Chris Hemsworth's head?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

How did a man this stupid become a multimillionaire?

Once you hit the runner's high in lacking self-awareness, it is very easy to fail upwards.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kim Justice posted:

Woah, I didn't even know that S Club 7 had a hit in America. Of course, they had a lot more than one hit over here - I wanna say they had four #1's (Never Dream being one of them, although definitely not their biggest - that would be Don't Stop Movin'). Rachel had a really good solo career, Hannah and Tina have done a lot of acting, and Jo went on to be highly racist on a UK reality TV show. I can't remember the name of the boys even after looking on Wiki.

I was amused at how hard Todd flipped out over their Hanson slam.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kim Justice posted:

S Club 7 chat. Yes.

I do find it in me to agree with Todd that the worst single they had was the one that actually got popular here in the States, but he was right. It was the style at the time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Dom reviews the Grindelwald flick (well, Terrence the Ravenclaw does) and calls the film 'representation blue balls.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sephyr posted:

MB is the only one I found that is actually chill and good on stuff that is currently airing . Bennet has a fun style but his schtick is tied into the classics and the early boom of anime in the US, which can be very hit or miss in how it regards to your tastes. Digibro can be very good on 'neutral' titles, meaning those that don't cater to/offend his weird kinks. When that happens, he can be a weird creep.

Flying Witch was a weirdly calm, fun little series. Given the state of the world, I'll take an escapism where everyone is chill, well-intentioned and digging their boring, magical little life.

I haven't watched him in a while, but along the anime recommendation lines there was Glass Reflections. He tries very hard to be objective while admitting where his preferences lie. Also pretty laid back, compares subs to dubs if that's your thing, all that goodness.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Takoluka posted:

MB, at the very least, openly dislikes the creepy sexual-assaulty stuff in anime, as he's mentioned quite a bit in his SAO stuff, so I imagine he has standards and morals that a lot of anitubers just toss aside for their audiences.

His guide to the various flavors of 'dere' was pretty funny.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

KayTee posted:

The Nerd looks at the Amiga CD32 which was even worse than I remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKqRz64eQD4

But Nerd has bad things to say about Super Putty so now I can never watch his videos again.

I'd never heard of that console before, but now I guess I can see why. Maybe I saw the ads but mentally put them as some other system I wasn't going to buy, like the Jaguar or something.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I’m certainly nostalgic for the times before the internet culture war. Before the dark times.

The Smurfette thing might have an earlier common inspiration common to both videos independently—early media studies was very interested in that sort of thing. The timing is a little narrow for that, though. Or maybe it’s Lindsay’s fate to forever have her mature work overshadowed by early stuff she can’t stand.

It is extremely weird that the transformers would have sexual dimorphism, as they reproduce by building more in the smart one’s workshop or whenever Starscream finds some old jeeps from World War II. If they’re not all gay it must be hell to be a transformer.

One day she'll do that Loose Canon on Arcee. One day.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr.Radar posted:

Yeah, and by that point most major game studios had given up on the Amiga as a platform so a lot of the releases he reviewed in that video were there kind of stuff that would have been forgettable shareware on the PC. Not that that should excuse them from being criticized as commercial releases (since they were) but I can't help but feel a bit odd seeing that type of software getting the full Nerd treatment.

It's kind of a shame, too, as while I know that's not the show's format when James does do deep dives on stuff he's very thoughtful. Like the urban legend horror game which is still my favorite video of his.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Jenny Nicholson on Fantastic Beasts 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYUJ_ODfc8w

"Rowling had two ideas that she scratched down on a napkin in a cafe 20 years ago: Boy-In-Cupboard-Actually-Wizard and The-Snake-Is-A-Korean-Lady."

I like the point Jenny brings up that it puts wizards in an awful light if they could stop WW2 but don't. Also, yes, J.K. We're very certain you decided to have Voldemort's snake be a Korean woman ages ago. Representation!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DoubleCakes posted:

No they just blame the SJWs

Blame everything on SJWs

It's easier than actually taking looks at ethics in... well, anything really.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pants Donkey posted:

Just really sad releasing your first lesbian character in your game decade-old game and expecting praise for it. Just makes it all the more transparent that you’re trying to cover your rear end in the most cynical way possible.

Yeah, the account from the person who designed Akali, was unceremoniously fired (not even invited to the wrap party) and then get to watch her take off thanks to a K-Pop video was pretty sad. And also Riot is apparently a trash-fire frat house to work at?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kim Justice posted:

The only thing to do is produce content that counters the folks on the other side that attracts audiences. You can't exactly ask people to change the entire way that they've made their living just because there's a chance that videos by Sargon might be recommended on their sidebar, that's completely unreasonable and it isn't even their fault. And as people have mentioned, it's hardly something that can just be limited to people with 'angry' personas.

That's certainly true. While frustrating, I'd rather give Ellis the like and view and whatnot even if that means YouTube is going to barf Mundane Matt or the Amazing Atheist on my mentions, because that's a price I'll pay for keeping Lindsay around.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i like 4 and even 3. they definitely don't have the depth or cohesive focused themes/questions/bite/stories that NV does. but the game worlds,smaller stories/gameplay are fun enough. its not amazing but it works.

Jon of Many A True Nerd did a great video called 'Fallout 3 Is Better Than You Think.' You could die of alcohol poisoning if you took a shot every time somebody said 'Bethestard' in the comment section however.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

DEBATE ME is my favourite kind of meltdown because the idiots who resort to shouting give the game away and show that they demand attention rather than command respect.

And one wonders why as not once have those clods ever come off as the smooth and polished master debater (heh) they come off as, once taken away from either their 'shouty man' shtick of 'I Am Talking in a Very Reasonable Tone Of Voice So My Opinions Have Merit' shtick. It's like when they finally got ComicsGate's Dickie Meyers on camera talking to Jim Jefferies.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

This is my favorite Fallout 76 video.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Augus posted:

Oh yeah this guy has popped up in my recommendations in the past. What’s funny is that he used to just do silly animations using Fallout 4 mods but about a year ago he made a video going in depth about how the issues with the game’s engine made making these videos absolute living hell. It was a fun and entertaining video and got a ton of views so he’s stuck with the format since then. Gonna give this a watch later

I think I know the one you're talking about - it specifically deals with Fallout as a franchise's use of the PC having crippled limbs - and was pretty hilarious as well as being fascinating and how Fallout 4 went above and beyond to make it as difficult as possible to work with from a modder perspective. To get a certain 'wounded' posture for the skit, he had to have a character throw down a grenade and hope that it would break the exact three right limbs.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am surprised how positive he was about 76. like i agree with him about the NPC point and that the world is beautiful, but in my opinion. the game is too shallow and janked to buy right now.

Between him and Many a True Nerd and watching some streamers whose opinions I trust, it seems like if you're already into Bethesda's Fallout I think there's some stuff to enjoy with a whole giant laundry list of caveats.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mokinokaro posted:

James continues his trend of hanging out with awful people...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBOW9ythzO0

Aw.

And it suddenly strikes me that, having not watched anything to do with Jones since even before the implosion of Channel Awesome he is super hard to listen to now. It's a shame, too, as talking about family video rental places are something I also have a lot of memories of.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yardbomb posted:

Because they don't actually give a poo poo about history and just want to regurgitate the whitewashed lies around "american history" and it's exceptionalism therein alongside their usual bigotry.

The other day somebody posted a picture of a squad of the Russian 588th Bomber Regiment, aka the Night Witches, with their Nazi kill count. Somebody replied 'And yet the Holocaust still happened.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Do go on, Boogie.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah he literally hired a team of consultants and marketers from day one to establish his brand. He's a corp.

Also wasn't he technically a contractor for Disney, who will own us all in a few decades?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hemingway To Go! posted:

pedantic romantic is doing some interesting takes on anime that go into actually interesting territory and now has my attention, criticizing anime journalism and crunchyroll from the left

What was the 'Fire Emblem debacle' they mentioned?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm assuming it was the whole Fire Emblem Fates mess which basically had two points of contention:
-a creepy touching minigame was removed
-the translation was extremely liberal when it came to characters, completely rewriting a few of them

Chuds, angry at the first point, latched onto the second and used it to get the female employee who managed the translation fired.

Oh, right. And it was the translators who re-wrote characters who started a whole website devoted to slagging Persona 5's localization (which was mostly fine except for a few stilted parts).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The strangest things happen when people make up their own scoring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWDcHZRN0Ow

This reminds me of Many a True Run's Fallout One Life To Live/No Kills/Everybody Dies runs.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

They should bring back Satomi Tadashi for Persona 6. Persona 2 and Digital Devil Saga still have the best stories.

Edit: A DDS HD Remaster would own so much.

I'd pay just to have Innocent Sin on a platform I use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RareAcumen posted:

Youtuber gamers can't even handle not saying the N-Word so I can't say I'm surprised not being transphobic is too much for these guys to grasp.

Oh, now! Everyone uses racial epithets in times of stressful activities like playing a video game. You talk like they're the crazy ones!