Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Dark One posted:

I saw a couple articles mention that in 10.0, the forward button only shows up when you hit back. I just updated, and my forward button is there regardless of where I am in the history of that tab. :raise:

Do you have any buttons between the 'forward' button and the location bar? If so, it'll stay around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

However, another seemingly unrelated reason I recommend this addon is because it fixes a personal point about non-IE browser I absolutely hate.
Click the middle mouse button, get that round marker that lets you scroll by moving the mouse (I use this often). Now, how do you cancel it? Do you click? That's no good, because now you have to worry what's under the cursor. Do you mouse wheel? By default that just scrolls some more.
Installing All-in-One Gestures magically fixes this, and if you notch the mousewheel one, it removes the scrolling point, without moving the page, just like it does in IE. It drives me nuts to use a browser that works any other way.

I just click the middle mouse button again, which causes no problems whatsoever.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

I could swear I tried this at one time, but maybe I was just used to ending scrolling with a flick of the wheel so much that that's what I wanted. Either way, it's not really important to most, and I understand the complaint looks pretty ridiculous

Aw, it doesn't look ridiculous. Everyone's got their own preferences for browsing; I'm just happy to see that someone else uses autoscroll. From the bugs that occasionally do plague it in various Firefox builds, like certain page elements not scrolling at the same rate/time as others, I was afraid it was a dying thing. :)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Cookies can sometimes cause weird redirect issues too, as the error you saw indicated. I would try manually removing the cookies from gmail and google if you didn't already.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Alereon posted:

HTTP Pipelining is now strongly recommended

HTTP pipelining allows the browser to have multiple requests to a server "in flight" at the same time per-connection, improving efficiency and reducing page load times. It may take a bit before it gets enabled by default, but HTTP pipelining support in browsers and servers has matured to the point where it no longer causes issues and is basically a guaranteed performance win. All other browsers have it enabled by default, and it's now recommended that users toggle the setting manually for improved performance until the default change is made. Go to about :config and set the following values:

network.http.pipelining to true
network.http.pipelining.ssl to true
network.http.pipelining.aggressive to true

The final setting is optional but important, as it significantly increases the percentage of requests that are pipelined. If an error is encountered the browser will still fall back to not using pipelining, so this shouldn't break anything (a small number of websites do load more slowly, such as About.com). Benjamin Kerensa has a blog post here with details, and a second here with benchmarks.

I wouldn't cite Ben Kerensa's blog there. His 'benchmarks' involve accessing google.com five times with pipelining enabled and five times with pipelining disabled. It doesn't show results from any other websites, and with such a small sample size there are hardly even enough 'trials' to make any reasonable conclusions - even regarding accessing google with pipelining. As much was noted in the bugzilla bug to enable it by default. A slightly more rigorous comparison was posted in the comments to Ben's blog. Those two are a bit of a better read, I'd say.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Dominoes posted:

Firefox is broken on my laptop. The program will often become unresponsive, especially when watching youtube videos. Clicking anywhere in the program will have no response for about 15 seconds. I uninstalled, reinstalled. Tried the soft reset in the menus, then tried deleting the profile file in appdata while Firefox was uninstalled. I even upgraded (in-place) to Windows 8, and it's still broken. My girlfriend's now having a similar problem with Firefox on her laptop.

I switched to Chrome. Chrome is very similar to Firefox from a user standpoint, and the switch was easier than continuing to troubleshoot. I'm still open to suggestions, but this shouldn't be something obscure; I'm running an Asus G73 laptop, and aren't using any unusual programs or settings. Unfortunately, I can't find a lot about this online, despite it seeming like something that would be a common problem.

I mainly don't want to abandon Firefox because I love how the developers are pushing for openness on the web. Might donate anyway.

I'd wager that is most likely caused by the flash plugin. As mentioned, check its version. Also, check your graphics card driver version. :)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Dark One posted:

I don't know if this is a Firefox issue or a forums issue, but I'm getting this issue with click-to-play Flash elements embedded with the [video] tag. It doesn't happen every time, and I can refresh the frame until Firefox notices things properly, but it's still annoying.

I see you're using SALR, so as a workaround you might try disabling the forum-based video embeds and enabling SALR's video embedder.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Modus Trollens posted:

New icon ahhhhh

They're pretty bad. The taskbar version (Win7) of Aurora's new icon looks especially horrible.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Is there an extension that makes the Australis "Customize" button more powerful?

e: Mainly dealing with breaking up some of the squashed-together-and-cannot-separate stuff like the bookmark star/menu buttons, or forward/back being attached to the location bar and 'Customize' not being able to insert buttons in between.

astral fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 8, 2014

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Alereon posted:

This is the work of the brand new Mozilla Content Services team, announced last Friday with the apparent goal of broadening Mozilla's revenue stream so they're not solely dependent on Google. My hope is that we'll see Mozilla backing away from this over the next week or so and saying that Darren Herman jumped the gun and didn't gather enough community input.

I sincerely hope so too.

Applebees posted:

It doesn't seem intrusive at all to me. It would only affect people who use the new tab page and then only if they start a new profile. It doesn't seem like it would affect anyone who has been using Firefox for over a week.

Yeah, let's turn off new users who might be considering the switch to Firefox by immediately showing them ads. Great idea, Mozilla team. :)

astral fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 12, 2014

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

How do I get rid of this thing at the top? My mouse has forward/back buttons and I don't need ANOTHER way to accidentally add bookmarks.
It showed up after the update to Firefox 32, I think.

To be fair, those are replacing individual context menu items that already existed for each of those actions (which I admittedly didn't use, either). I assume that you could hide them by editing userChrome.css, if nothing else. The IDs might even be the same as before.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

jink posted:

Want to clarify something here.

Firefox won't automatically update addons unless they come from https://addons.mozilla.org/ Custom addons from a developer's direct site will not automatically update (since Firefox would have no clue how to check for these updates).

Please don't spread misinformation. In an extension's install manifest, you would specify an updateURL to do just that.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Fangs404 posted:

Does anyone know what uBlock does differently than ABP? I can't find any details on how uBlock actually works.

uBlock is based on (was split from) HTTP Switchboard:
https://github.com/gorhill/httpswitchboard/wiki/Adblock-Plus-memory-consumption

quote:

Summary: Where Adblock Plus ("ABP") indiscriminately injects over 13,000 generic CSS rules into every page and frames, HTTP Switchboard ("HTTPSB") injects only a handful generic CSS rules at most. HTTPSB's approach is to perform a quick web page survey in order to dramatically narrow down the generic CSS selectors which need to be injected in web pages and frames. Examples: on wired.com ABP injects over 13,000 generic CSS selectors while HTTPSB injects only 8 generic CSS selectors; and on a page with no ads, ABP still injects over 13,000 generic CSS selectors while HTTPSB injects none.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

hooah posted:

What's going on with YouTube? I thought they'd switched to HTML5 for everyone, but I'm seeing the message about out-of-date Flash player (which as before is the most up-to-date stable version available). poo poo's loving annoying.

If you haven't already and if you don't mind the lack of a couple quality options (480p/1080p) until the next Firefox version, you can opt into (or back out of ) the html5 player at: http://youtube.com/html5

I'm not entirely sure from your post if it's Firefox or YouTube telling you that your flash player is out of date. Which is it? And what version (numbers) of Flash do you have?

astral fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 13, 2015

astral
Apr 26, 2004

hooah posted:

Firefox is blocking it; I get the banner if I go to the YouTube site, and if I click on an embedded link in the forums, the rectangle is replaced by the larger version of the warning. My Flash version is 16.0.0.296.

I had been opted-in to the HTML5 version, and now things seem to be working fine after toggling that twice (to default and back).

Glad to hear you were able to get the HTML5 youtube working! For Flash, I'm running 16.0.0.305 - if the normal updater isn't working for you, try here.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Venusy posted:

Is there any way to either restore the old search bar or to make it so it pops up the new selection box if you just give the search bar focus without typing anything? My workflow to get to the main page of some sites was to select them from the search dropdown box and do a blank search, but this is no longer an option with 36.

Set browser.search.showOneOffButtons to false in about :config.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ufarn posted:

Anyone has experience with restoring sessions? Firefox just hosed up and took ~100 tabs with it, and if I can't restore them, I'm deleting the POS.

Anything in History -> Restore Previous Session?

If not, try about :sessionrestore

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ufarn posted:

Nah, tried that with no luck. I reckon that got lost by closing the window another time or something, so I'm hoping for a .bak file somewhere similar-ish to how Opera and Chrome do it.

Hmm, you could see if there is an appropriately-modified-dated %APPDATA%/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/(your profile)/sessionstore.bak that you can open with a text editor to see if it has what you want.

quote:

With Chrome, I got the Session Manager extension, which works well, but the resource-hogging forced me to try out Firefox, which did a better job of managing resources, but here we are.

Oddly enough there wasn't a session-manager extension for Firefox like with Chrome, which was one of the first things I looked up, when I made the switch. It's a really basic feature, though, but like tab and resource management, it's one of those fundamental 101 things that browser vendors apparently can't be bothered to figure out.

I'm not familiar with this session manager but, if you're using it manually, would Firefox's "Tab Groups" perform a similar function?

astral fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 15, 2015

astral
Apr 26, 2004

slidebite posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I looked at the past few pages and didn't see it mentioned.

I have the Camalizer add-on installed and it's quick button on the navigation bar has been gone since something like 36.0 or so.

I can customize FF and put it back in the bar someplace but it only works for that session of FF and is gone next time I open it.

I've un/reinstalled the add-on and it doesn't make a difference. On its options it shows as it should appear in the navigation bar.

Am I missing something simple here? My U block icon stays each time and has since I installed it, but Camalizer is being a pain.

From the addon's description:

quote:

Camelizer v2.5 forces the toolbar icon to appear during its first run. Address bar and addon bar icons are no longer an option. Apologies to users who these changes may annoy, but recent internal changes to Firefox have required them.

I did a quick all-file search through Camelizer's code, and it looks like the author isn't actually supporting Australis toolbar buttons (Firefox 29+). This is the addon author's fault, but they're blaming Firefox. It looks like they have a newer 'developer' version that fixes the icon disappearing problem here but that still doesn't support Australis so you can still only place the toolbar button in the navigation bar.

If you have any contact with the author, suggest they add Australis support and things will work just fine. You can also tell them that it's very simple to implement; with Australis, they don't even need to bother with saving where the user put the toolbar button like they are for the legacy UI toolbar button.

edit: clarification

astral fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 16, 2015

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

Cross posting this, because goddamn someone finally decided to fix the issue of big images killing Firefox:

Forums user Anarchist Mae has written a great script for anyone who views the image threads. It automatically looks for gifv and webm versions of images which means no more opening a page with a dozen 50MB gifs and killing your computer.

Something Awful Image Fixes 1.3.0

It also does other things, like resize thumbnails, too.

For the first time in almost two months, I have been able to view the gif thread in PYF without Firefox having an aneurism.

Huh, not visiting those threads I guess I underestimated just how much automatic gif->video replacement might help users. I'll bump up its priority for SALR, in that case. :)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Im_Special posted:

No, you can easily check WOT ratings on domains with NoScript, no point in having both installed.

If anyone else was curious about how this was easily checked, it's done by middle-clicking a domain from inside NoScript's menu. :)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Disharmony posted:

Does anyone have any idea how to fix my Firefox?

Not sure when it started but fonts tend to be crisp/sharp and jagged rather than smooth. For comparison, the pic below shows how it looks like in FF on the left and the one on the right is Chrome and how it used to look like.

I've already disabled Reader Mode, no luck.

What website is this?

Have you tried with a new Firefox profile?

P.S. In the future you should save screenshots of things like this as .png instead of .jpg; the jpeg artifacts have somewhat ruined whatever you're trying to show here. Retaking them would be recommended.

astral fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 26, 2015

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I'm waiting for the AMO admins to get back to me so I (hopefully) won't have to change the extension's ID.

e: It probably goes without saying but this whole thing is really annoying.
e2: SALR passes all automated validation checks otherwise. :toot:

astral fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 7, 2015

astral
Apr 26, 2004

nnnotime posted:

Also, when I tried this and pasted the code into the console, the console response was "undefined", so I assume that means the command from Mozilla is incorrect.

That just means the function you called didn't return a value. Don't worry about that. :)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

browser.search.showOneOffButtons set to false no longer brings back the old Search box behaviour in Firefox 43. Anyone know if there's a different switch I can throw? I've tried to get used to the new behaviour but it's messing with over a decade of muscle memory.

Wow, that's a bummer. Back when I tried it, the newer search UI seemed very hurried and incomplete, so I disabled it with that preference. Looking at its original tracking bug now, I understand why - it was hurried and incomplete. :)

I hope they've improved it since then.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Mortanis posted:

Is there something you need to enable to get Netflix running native under Firefox on Windows? I've read a bunch of articles saying that it was coming earlier in the year, but Firefox still wants me to install Silverlight. I'm on 41.0.2 and would love to fully ditch Chrome here.

I don't believe it's there, yet. I recommend using IE for Netflix if you're on Windows 8 or higher since it lets you go above 720p. :)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Alec Eiffel posted:

I did and I turned it off. This solved the issue.

If you're interested, you can disable that feature for a site without disabling it globally by clicking that little shield that shows up next to the favicon.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

RZApublican posted:

Not sure what could be causing this, but Firefox seems to not be displaying images hosted from the domain https://pbs.twimg.com (which depending on the thread I'm reading, means that either some or all of the images will be absent). Has anyone else been having this problem? If so, do I need to disable something to fix it?

Tracking protection has been doing that. You can disable it on a per-site basis or turn it off entirely.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

slidebite posted:

I just noticed that my new FF 42.0 install (just built a new system) is not spell checking. As in, "rgpoihg" has no red line under it.

Did I miss something in the install? How do I turn it on? My spelling is pretty awful so I rely on it fairly heavily. :sigh:

slidebite posted:

Yeah, that's checked. Weird. Maybe I'll try a reinstall tonight, been meaning to put 64bit FF in it anyhow.

Check if you have it turned on in your OS settings, too.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

YggiDee posted:

Okay, what's Add-on signing, and why did it disable everything I love?

It's a misguided attempt to cut down on malware addons. Extensions hosted on addons.mozilla.org are automatically signed, and self-hosted extensions are easy to get signed now.

It's likely there are updated versions of your extensions that are already signed, so you should try to find these. Otherwise, as a temporary measure you can turn off the signature verification in about :config, but that will only last until Firefox 44.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ArcaneMan posted:

Anyway to turn this off?

from the previous page:

The Gunslinger posted:

If anyone else hates the "search for blah on Google" in the awesome bar, about :config and set browser.urlbar.unifiedcomplete to false. God help me if I ever somehow end up with a vanilla install of Firefox again because it feels like I've had to make about 20+ tweaks just to remove all of the annoying poo poo they've added over the years.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Botnit posted:

Is Flash for Firefox completely hosed up? Right now if I go to almost any site with a video Flash crashes immediately without playing a single second of video. I've reinstalled Win 10 multiple times over the last week to try to fix it, sometimes it'll magically be better after a reformat but then it goes back to loving up. Weirdly it only happens on non-youtube sites, youtube always works. It's loving maddening at this point and going to drive me to going to Chrome even though I hate it.

Not using any special addons except ublock which I've tested with and without it, same problem.

Have you followed these steps yet? https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/adobe-flash-plugin-has-crashed

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Botnit posted:

Thanks, disabling hardware acceleration seemed to fix it, what's the deal with that? Is running without hardware accel even noticeable / impacting anything?

It just puts some extra burden on your CPU when watching videos in Flash (sidenote: youtube isn't/shouldn't be using Flash anymore with recent Firefox versions, so that's why you had no issues there).

If you want to troubleshoot it some more, since the hardware acceleration setting worked around the problem, you might check on your graphics card drivers - if there's a newer version available, it might fix the root problem and allow you to re-enable the hardware acceleration. Of course, it's also possible that you were updated by Win10 to a newer driver version that Flash wasn't playing well with, or it could be Flash at fault, in which case a future driver version and/or Flash update might fix things.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

DeaconBlues posted:

Firefox keeps getting more laggy with every update. Chrome is a privacy black hole. I've just spent an hour setting up Pale Moon as close to Firefox as I can, only to find it doesn't support x264 video.

Gaah. Is there a good port of Firefox? I'm in a bad mood. Need to spend time away from the PC.

'Laggy' in what respect?

Multi-process Firefox isn't too far away if you're worried about UI responsiveness; you can already try it with Firefox Developer Edition if you're interested.

You can also try the pretty standard troubleshooting steps of running Firefox in safe mode or a new profile to see if your addons or settings are causing whatever issues you're running into.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Milkman posted:

The about :config flags posted a few weeks back really, really help. It's second in smoothness only to Safari on OS X.

browser.tabs.remote.autostart true enables e10s
layers.async-pan-zoom.enabled true enables async scrolling in e10s making scrolling super smooth!
layers.offmainthreadcomposition.testing.enabled true enables off mainthreading composing
privacy.trackingprotection.enabled true enables tracking protection globally, nice feature too!

Don't use layers.offmainthreadcomposition.testing.enabled - at best, it does nothing:

mozilla gfx team member posted:

this pref has no effect anymore. We needed it a little while ago for some reason related to automated testing with different configurations on multiple branches.

But I've heard some reports that it causes issues. The actual off main thread composition pref is layers.offmainthreadcomposition.enabled, which you will probably find is already set to true. :)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

hooah posted:

I can't see the images in this post ever. I've tried disabling SALR, uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger, uMatrix, and HTTPS Everywhere, and nothing makes a difference. I tried a new profile, and I could see the images fine, both read and unread. What else can I try for troubleshooting?

Click the little shield in the location bar, disable tracking protection for this site.
e:f;b

astral
Apr 26, 2004

jeeves posted:

Just a heads up: Firefox 44 is on the horizon, and it blocks unsigned addons.

No need to panic; it actually slipped to version 46. :)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

Browser stopped displaying images from http sources if site is https. Some sites can't be used without https so I see tons of dead images in pages. Browser had a feature (some kind of shield icon in address bar) to fix the issue but the devs removed it apparently.

Is there some addon or setting to fix the problem? Security is not a concern, I just want the sites to work like usual. They work with Chrome and other browsers. Thanks in advance!

Check about :config for the value of security.mixed_content.block_display_content

Bieeardo posted:

Has anyone else been experiencing a lot of hangs and crashes with 45b1 the last day or so? Flash has been crashing virtually every time it loads, and every so often Firefox stops loading pages and throws a stackhash_0a9e error when it closes, leaving behind processes running. I had to move back to the release channel because not even safe mode was helping.

Edit: gently caress, nevermind, it's happening with 44 now too.

What flash version are you using? I've had a lot of flash-related issues lately with 20.0.0.286 (the latest). It might be worth considering a test downgrade to Flash 18 ESR: https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_18_plugin.exe to see if that helps.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Havana Affair posted:

Firefox suddenly stopped remembering my tabs from a previous session. Instead it opens the default Firefox homepage. I can restore the previous window through history and all the settings seem to be correct: remember tabs, don't delete history when closing the browser. I'm also using the latest version (44.0). This is very annoying since I usually have 10+ tabs open at all times as a reading list of sorts and a couple of pinned tabs. Anyone have any ideas?

If the settings are correct (the important one is the "When Firefox starts" in the general tab) the only time this happens for me is if I accidentally have multiple Firefox windows open and close the window I care about before a debug console or other window/dialog. I actually keep the setting on that warns me if I'm about to close multiple tabs to stop me from making this mistake - if I ever see the warning, it means I've screwed up and I can click Cancel.

Bieeardo posted:

Flash was up to date, so I uninstalled that. Still crashing on launch.

I've since tested with disused and new profiles, and they work, so it looks like an issue with the old profile I've had kicking around forever. I wouldn't be surprised if something fell over when I installed the Youtube Center script the other day.

Thanks for the suggestions here and the SALR thread, astral. You've been a huge help.

You're welcome! Glad you were able to get it working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

hooah posted:

I hadn't used my desktop in a few days. When I opened Firefox, I was met with a bunch of tabs asking to install extensions from my own computer. I also saw that e.g. SALR was disabled, and even after installing the latest beta and restarting Firefox (even though that's unnecessary), it's still marked as disabled. What the hell happened? I haven't had any problems on my laptop.

It's possible that for some reason Firefox thought your addons weren't installed by you. Try clicking 'Remove' for an addon affected by this, restart Firefox (to clear out some saved extension information that may be corrupted), then install the addon again and see if that works.