Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Alright weird question. My boyfriend got my old Samsung Galaxy S7 and is currently using it with an at&t SIM card. On his old phone here got MMS messages no problem, but with the S7 he doesn't with the default apps. If he uses Hangouts or Allo, though, everything is fine. The issue is that
apparently he has no way to make either of those his default texting app, and his phone is routing those messages to an app that won't display them for some reason. His settings page for Hangouts and Allo looks completely different than mine too (Pixel XL on Fi). Anyone know how to fix either the MMS issue or how to force one of those two apps to be the default?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

fishmech posted:

Neither Hangouts nor Allo do SMS or MMS (except Google Voice MMS if you're using a Google Voice number in Hangouts), so he's not receiving MMS through them. He's just receiving messages with attached images through standard data.

He needs to make sure the APN settings for MMS are correct, taking the phone into the local AT&T store they should be able to tell him what the proper settings are for his service, and since they support the Galaxy S7 they should even be able to perform the settings directly on the normal Samsung software.

Yea, he actually had some texting issues before with it, and the AT&T people at the store were no help. We had to get the APN code online. But I'll see if we can take it to a different store with more knowledgeable people and/or get the correct code for it. Thanks for the heads up on what the issue is though.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Soysaucebeast posted:

Yea, he actually had some texting issues before with it, and the AT&T people at the store were no help. We had to get the APN code online. But I'll see if we can take it to a different store with more knowledgeable people and/or get the correct code for it. Thanks for the heads up on what the issue is though.

Apparently AT&T people forgot to enable some sort of option on their end and the people at the first store just never noticed. So problem solved. Back to your current discussion on note apps.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

So I decided to swap to Nova Launcher, and over all I'm pretty happy with it. The only thing I miss about the stock Google Launcher is the Google Feed though. Do you guys have any recommendations for a news widget that mimics the feel of it? Or is there a way to just have Nova and Google Feed at the same time?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Incessant Excess posted:

Nova can do the actual Google Now feed but you need to install an additional app from outside the play store:

https://help.teslacoilapps.com/nowcompanion

I'm an idiot and you're awesome. Thank you!

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

So what do you guys use for photos? I was using the standard Google Photo app until I realized that if I had a picture downloaded on my phone and the folder set to auto back up, it would show up twice. I went ahead and backed up everything and deleted it off my phone at Google's suggestion, but I literally just realized I screwed over my muzei phone backgrounds. So instead of downloading and having doubles of those, I figured I'd check to see if anything else is better.

Basically I just want something with no ads, shows thumbnails, and shows me the file tree if I want. Everything else is gravy.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Same, not sure what the reasoning would be to NOT use Google Photos, it's amazing. If you have duplicates, like I've had before, it's likely your own fault. Like I had copied a photo to another folder for some reason which was being backed up, so of course it duplicated in Google Photos.

I ended up deleting everything I had on the cloud, manually going through all my folders in my computer looking for duplicates, and then reloading everything into my phone. I was still getting a few duplicates (only about ten vs the forty or so earlier) so I tried to pull up the file path to see what I missed. It only showed the name on the duplicates, instead of the entire path on the originals. I just deleted all the duplicates manually.

But now I'm getting this issue.

I've tried waiting for the blank images to load and they never do. I've tried opening them to see what they are and when I tap it nothing happens. I've tried long tapping to see the file info and nothing happens when I do that either. I've restarted the photos app and rebooted my phone too. Still nothing.

Any help on this one?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Ola posted:

There's a file called something like thumbnails somewhere. IIRC, CCleaner can delete it. You can try installing CCleaner, cleaning your phone and uninstalling again, because it's a pretty annoying, naggy janitor app.

CCleaner didn't help, but I'll do a manual search for any files named like thumbnails later to see if that does it.

Edit: I just ended up deleting all the app data and then re-set everything up and we're good now. Thankfully it still saved my albums. That was a weird little adventure, but thank y'all for the suggestions!

vvv Yea, I tried that and it still didn't help. I even tried deleting the whole app folder. I have no idea what deleting the data from the settings>app data menu did that I couldn't get from deleting the whole folder manually, but it's good now. vvv

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 27, 2018

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

My phone just updated to pie and I absolutely hate the clock being on the left hand side of the notification bar. Anyone know if any apps to let me modify that? I looked at Material Status Bar, but the permissions on that seemed excessive.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Skarsnik posted:

You'll get used to it, it's not that big a deal

You're probably right, but until then I'm looking in the left corner every two seconds thinking there's a notification I missed. I'd really prefer to be able to change it if that's possible.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

LastInLine posted:

You can't move it (without rooting) but you can get rid of the clock altogether.

Dunno if that's something you'd be interested in doing but that's your only other option.

That might work for me. You mind letting me know how to do that though? I dug through the settings and did a quick Google search and only saw suggestions to make the notification bar text black and use a black wallpaper. I don't want to lose all the icons though, just this dang clock.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

LastInLine posted:

If you use Nova Launcher (or even if you don't), use it to create a widget of an Activity. The selection should be System UI > System UI demo mode.

Once it's placed, click the widget and select "Status Bar", then at the bottom "Time". Select "Don't show this icon".

You can then remove the widget if you don't intend to venture back into the System UI Tuner.

Thanks! I'm already in love with Nova but had no idea I could do stuff like that with the widget. I need to actually look into all the stuff it can do apparently.

I appreciate it!

Edit: Well apparently the clock only stays hidden until I pull down the notification shade and then it comes back and persists until I re-disable it. It was a good idea though. I guess I'm stuck.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 11, 2018

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I'm having a weird issue with my Facebook app. It was working fine earlier today, but a few hours ago it just stopped. Every time I try and open the app, it loads for a second and then crashes and prompts me to send a bug report. I've rebooted my phone, uninstalled and reinstalled the app, and cleared my cache all multiple times. Rebooting and clearing the cache haven't had any impact, but if I reinstall the app it works just fine the first time I open it. But once I close the app then go to reopen it later, it starts crashing again.

I've got a pixel XL, and am hoping this is just an easy fix I'm too dumb to think of.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

LastInLine posted:

I see you cleared the cache but you didn't mention clearing the data for the app. Are you using anything out of the ordinary like adblockers or battery management apps that could be causing it?

Well I just tried clearing the data and that lets the app load, but if I close the app and try and reopen it, it starts crashing again. I'm not using any add blockers or battery apps at all. This is honestly weird as hell.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

LastInLine posted:

A search on Twitter for "facebook app crashing" would indicate you aren't alone. It's Facebook's fault.

Well that makes me feel better. I tried googling the issue but was only seeing stuff from months ago. I don't use Twitter, so I didn't even think to check there. Thanks for the heads up, I guess I'll just wait it out.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Nevermind.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 29, 2018

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

If I needed to go over to GWS that's cool, just let me know.

But does anyone know any good cookbook apps that let you create your own recipes, and ideally will let me upload recipes from digital books I've bought? I've been using My Cookbook, but it just refuses to import the digital cookbooks I have. It just sticks on 'importing' for hours. I'm only just getting into cooking, so it would help to have everything in one place instead of having to remember which recipe was in which book.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 30, 2018

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

LastInLine posted:

I still love PocketCasts although with Google Podcasts getting a web player that would mitigate the draw for me. Not that I'd trust Google to stick with it.

Pocket Casts actually has a web player too. I got bored at work and didn't want to drain my phone battery so I just checked about 10 minutes ago. Turns out my computer speakers here don't actually DO anything, so I can't say if there's any weird ads or anything in the web player, but I wouldn't think so.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

LastInLine posted:

I know Pocket Casts has a web player, that's why I mentioned it. Google's is free while PC's is $10 though. I use the PC web player as much as the app so for me it's a must-have but I understand if it isn't for some.

Oh my mistake. It wasn't showing a fee for me, but I guess I must have bought a pocket casts upgrade or something earlier in the app that unlocked it. I honestly just get money from the Google surveys and go crazy with app upgrades sometimes so it wouldn't surprise me.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm looking for a recipe book app. Something I can add/store my own recipes as I want to get rid of my gravy-stained paper recipe cards. I don't really care about all the ones that have a search to find other recipes and save them, etc, I want to store my own only and be able to search, etc. Thanks in advance for suggestions!

I use MyCookBook. I tried Paprika, but just didn't like it (and it was long enough ago that I can't remember why I didn't), but I've had no issues with MCB. It even has a website that you can add recipes to, if you prefer to type on an actual keyboard instead of using your phone for everything and it syncs pretty painlessly across everything. I have it set up on my phone and on my Amazon Fire, end never have an issue with updates on one device (or website) not showing up immediately on the other.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

maltesh posted:

Got an email that Pepperplate, my recipe app of choice, is going subscription.

What's a good free or single-purchase multi-platform recipe app? I only have about thirty recipes to move over, so automatic Pepperplate importing would be nice, but not essential.

I use MyCookBook. I'm not sure if it'll import from another app, but if not it has a website that you can type the recipes into to make it easier.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Hahaha, that's awesome. The button dims a little bit and... that's it. It's just straight up broken.

poo poo, you're right. I've set up routines before that still work so I thought I'd try and set up a new one to test it. It legit just does nothing when I save. At least my old routines are fine but that's really terrible.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

cinnamon rollout posted:

When I bother to use Google pay it works great. I scanned the dozen or so loyalty cards i have into it, and that was fantastic. It's useful in that I share a grocery loyalty card with my wife and mother in law, and I never, ever remember to bring the actual card, but I always have my phone with me.

Yea, my boyfriend and I use Google Pay all the time. I can even see my Ticketmaster tickets in there and transfer them to him as needed (or vice versa). And whenever he sends me money for the bills or whatever, it always pops up in my bank account almost instantly.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Qylvaran posted:

Inbox completely transformed my email habits then when it disappeared those habits resulted in an utter mess of a Gmail inbox. YTM looking to be a similar downgrade. Still, I can't go back to YouTube ads.

Seriously. I pay for Play Music because it gets me Youtube Red. When GPM completely goes away, I'm honestly torn on if I'll just move over to YTM, or keep my Youtube Red subscription and just start TOTALLY LEGALLY DOWNLOADING MUSIC again. I'll give YTM a good faith try I think, but if I can't play my music without an internet connection that's a dealbreaker for me.

Edit: I just remembered that I have an Amazon Prime account, so I can probably just use that if YTM is a trash fire. At least I have a backup plan.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 15, 2020

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Scaramouche posted:

And that's the thing unfortunately. Plex organization will suck, but after that it'll Just Work. Google, who the gently caress knows? They might switch to an aquarium based system that lets fish from around the world choose the music on the cloud.

Yea, I take back what I said about YTM being worse than GPM but not too bad. I broke the news to my boyfriend that GPM was going away at the end of the year (he gets all his tech news from me and I didn't feel like depressing him), so I sat down and really dove into it.

First, it said it was transferring all my files over, but it only transferred one playlist out of seven (and in the process completely trashed my thumbs up playlist in youtube with music I've thumbs'd up), and transferred none of my individual tracks that weren't in a playlist. So I went about trying to re-create my other playlists, and it is a nightmare searching for not main-stream stuff. I have a handful of video game soundtracks, and if I search for a track I get all the garbage on youtube like people playing it on piano, or violin, or whatever in their living room with poor audio quality. I could upload my individual music files, but that now counts against a tally even if I bought said tracks through GPM and just can't find the drat thing in the sea of YTM garbage.

All that coupled with Google's desire to just end products whenever is really pushing me to jump ship. I'm leaning towards Plex since I already have it set up for my movies and whatnot, but I've never used the PlexAmp app. Is it worth a drat, or should I just hop over to Amazon? I'm not too big into Spotify because I can't upload my own files to it, and I have a habit of buying OSTs through Steam (and downloading Goon Christmas music to terrorize my loved ones).

Edit: Ah hell, it auto-moved my subscription from Google Play Music to Youtube Music when I tried to transfer everything over too. And I don't see an option to re-subscribe to GPM, it just keeps sending me to the YTM page. Goddamnit I guess I'm moving sooner than I thought.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 25, 2020

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

diremonk posted:

Over the last couple of days I've been recreating my playlists I had in GPM into plex and it hasn't been too bad. I've been using plex amp as well and other than some minor issues it has been better than YouTube music. When going between tracks there isn't much of a gap, so it's a bit jarring to go from one genre to another. But since my main playlist has a bit of every genre, that is probably more my fault. It seemed to work well with Android Auto so that was another plus for it.

The other problem is just importing the music into Plex and getting it organized to my liking. But that is probably more to do with my terrible mp3 collection that I never really fixed the tags on beyond the main ones.

I ended up going with Spotify. I was leaning towards Plex but then I realized that I'd have to leave my computer on anytime I even thought about playing music while out and about and I am not the type to plan ahead like that. Amazon was right out since it turns out I can't upload my own music unless I bought it through them first. I had a spotify account from way back in the day, so it was easy enough to just jump back in and port my playlists over (I used Tune My Music to go from GPM to Spotify, but I don't think it supports Plex. Soundiiz does, but I think you have to pay for that one). So in the end I got everything taken care of without too much of a headache.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

BisterdDave posted:

First Dark Sky, now GPM??? I've only ever used YT Music once before, and definitely prefered GPM. Guess I'll learn to live with it.

I ended up swapping over to Spotify. I accidentally swapped my subscription from GPM to YTM when I was given the option to port over my playlists. I figured since I can't use GPM anymore (seriously, the YTM subscription is one way only and there's no way to re-sub to GPM) I may as well give YTM a solid shot. After about an hour or two, I just gave up. If I search for a specific song, it's it's something more obscure then YTM just pulls up everyone's low quality living room style covers and I just have to search and search to find the correct dang song. I had some issues with the UI too, but the glut of terrible versions of every song was the worst part by far. So I'm getting a YT Red subscription because screw ads, and I ended up getting the Spotify Duo subscription for the music. It's more money, but YTM was just that unappealing to me.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

You shouldn't have to re-sub to anything. GPM and YTM are all run by the YouTube part of Google (if you called support, they'd basically tell you the same thing).

As such, you are subscribed to GPM when you subscribe to YTM and can use both. I'm using Music Manager from GPM to download all of the music I bought and got for free from GPM right now and I moved over to YTM last fall.

It swapped over my subscription from GPM to YTM and I thought the same thing you did, once I figured out YTM was no bueno for me I figured I would just go back to GPM until the finally killed it. But GPM now no longer lets me play anything I don't explicitly own, even if it's in one of my saved playlists and Google doesn't recognize that I have a GPM subscription. YTM still works like I'm subscribed but GPM doesn't recognize me as anything other than a free user. I went round and round in circles with it before I just gave up and went to Spotify. Trust me, I'd rather be using GPM until they completely get rid of it, but it just won't let me now. I'm sure I could call support and get it all fixed, but I figure that since I'd only be able to use GPM for four months more anyway, there's no real point so I'll deal.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 4, 2020

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I'll agree with Pocket Casts. I've been using it for a couple years now and haven't had any issues at all.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

So, for some reason, Music Manager only downloads 2000 out of 3000 PAID FOR (and free) songs. So I'm just gonna use the website, download my entire library at like 100 something GB, sort through what I already have, and just...hope for the best, I guess?

I don't know.

I did some extensive research on this last night because there's no telling when Google will make it so you can't download your purchases this month and it seems MM has had this problem since launch and Google never has and never will fix it.

If you know which songs it didn't download you can make 10 playlists of 100 songs each and then download those from the website. I think 100 songs is the limit for downloading a playlist, but it might be 99. Or you could download all the songs individually from the website but that's even more of a pain in the rear end.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Does anyone know why Spotify refuses to cast some playlists from my phone to any device? I have a handful of playlists that are made up of entirely local files on my PC, but I have the playlist downloaded on my phone and it plays just fine there. But if I'm listening to one of those playlists on my phone and then try to cast it to my Nvidia Shield/Google Home/PC it just lists the stuff I have available and says "Can't Play This Right Now" under each device, but if I switch to a more normal playlist without local files the devices are listed as available again. And if I try and navigate to the playlist on my Shield, it will say the playlist is empty. I actually just tried to cast from my PC to my Shield or Google Home and it's doing the same thing.

I didn't see a Spofity specific thread in RGD or NMD, but if I missed one let me know and I can post there instead.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

bigman.50grand posted:

I don't think Spotify will allow you to cast local files, regardless of the device.

Yep, I actually just stumbled over that myself. Whelp, guess I'll just cast my screen to whatever when I wanna listen to something dumb like Goon Christmas music.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

nexus6 posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a habit-tracker like app?

Since lockdown started I've been participating in a report-daily thing that pops up a notification every day around lunchtime and I've found it a really effective way of making sure I do it every day.

I'd like something similar for other things I ought to be doing regularly. I've been using Grow but it doesn't quite do everything I'm looking for, specifally:
  • set multiple 'habits'
  • be able to set reminders for multiple times in one day or reminders every other day
  • get notifications/alerts as reminders

Grow lets you do all that except set a reminder every other day. You have to select which days of the week you want reminders.

Oh man, I really like that app, but I don't like that you can't set up something without attaching a reminder to it. My schedule swaps around so much that I would be changing the reminder times almost daily and I am way too lazy for that. I've been using this app but it doesn't let you do the every other day reminder that you were wanting. But if anyone has any other habit trackers to recommend, I'd be interested in them. The one I have does everything I need, but it's really bland to look at.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

docbeard posted:

Pocketcasts and Podcast Addict still seem to be the two main go-tos that I'm aware of. I use PA right now but I've used both and like both (and both allow for custom RSS links, I believe, I know for sure PA does).

Pocket Casts does too. I've added a few patreon only RSS feeds to it without issue.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Fart of Presto posted:

Is YouTube Music the only choice for uploading your own music to a streaming service?

Didn't Apple (iTunes/Beats?) let you add your own music and then match it against their library?

I know Amazon Music had some kind of service like that years ago, but also that they closed the matching thing down.

Spotify sort of lets you upload your own music. The PC app has a section for local files, and if you add those local files to a playlist and then download that playlist to your phone or whatever, it'll play those local files in addition to the Spotify files. You won't be able to heart them, but they're playable. Plex will let you upload whatever you want, but their streaming service is garbage (they use Tidal).

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

So I just got a Nest Hub while I was trying to figure out how to put my recipes on there, I learned that I need to add them to a Google Collection. That's annoying but I can do that, I only have about 20 recipes saved so I thought it wouldn't take too long. But it looks like Collections support isn't in Chrome on Android 11? According to this article I should have a collections bookmark icon at the top of Chrome next to the address bar. But I don't have anything there, or in the settings window. Anyone know what I'm missing here?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

LastInLine posted:

You can only do it from a search from Google or from within the Google app. Similarly it says that's how it works on a computer but I can't get it to work.

Yeah, if I do a Google search (in the app) it just pops up with links, and if I click a link it opens it in chrome and there's still no icon for me to click to save it. It's so weird.

Edit: If I go over to the images tab in Google, I can save the recipes from there. How does that make any sense?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Collections are easily the most half-baked (least-baked?) concept in the Google pantheon. I think the idea is that it's a Pinterest clone, but it has no buy-in from anybody at all and is only accessible through image search and apparently some Google searches. The weirdest aspect is that even if you add to collections, there's no good way to view or share those same collections, so what's the point?

It surprised me when you said they have a product and use case that requires it since it seems to me that it's obviously not going to be around for long. It would seem to me that they'd be better off trying to make some tool that aggregates recipes from around the web, with users being able to point it at some site and then edit it within the tool for clarity for presentation on Nest Hubs and then using that user curation to expand the library from which Nest Hubs could pull, but that requires a clarity of vision that Google simply doesn't have.

Even better is i just tried it out and the Nest Hub doesn't recognize a recipe collection unless it was made WITH the hub. I transferred my cookbook from my app into the collections after I posted here and my Hub wouldn't even see that list. If I remake a cookbook with the Hub everything pops up in the app on my phone, but I can't add anything in app. I have to go back over to the Hub to add stuff.

This is really dumb, and I can't add homemade recipes unless it's also online somewhere. I got the Hub half off thankfully, because I mostly wanted it for the step by step recipe integration and if I paid full price I'd be pissed.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Sab669 posted:

Anyone else having this bug with Textra where if you have a conversation open, shut off the screen, get a text message, fingerprint to unlock then the new message doesn't show up in your conversation? I have to go back to the list of all of my conversations and re-open the chat to see it.

It's a minor thing, but it's very annoying

I actually had that happen just the other day. I thought it was a one time glitch but if other people are getting it then maybe not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

AlexF posted:

Does anyone else have problems editing pictures with Google Photos' built in editor? When I'm done editing and try to save the pic I'll simply get a message that saving has failed and the photo is still sitting there in its original state. This happens for at least 50% of my edits. Sometimes, though not as often, the app will even crash completely and send me back to the home screen.

This is happening on a Pixel 5, but I was having the same problems on my Pixel 4XL as well.

I actually had the 'saving has failed' error happen to me yesterday. That was literally the only time in however long I've used Google Photos that it's given me any sort of an issue though. I send a lot of stupid memes and screenshots to my boyfriend, and cropping them is about 90% of my Photos use.