Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

TescoBag posted:

I don't have a 4k TV but i do have a 2160p monitor. If I plug my PS4P into that, will the game display at 2160p or will I get some sort of butchered downgrade?

You may not have a 4K TV but you do have a 4K monitor (2160p is 4k) so there shouldn't be any problem as long as your monitor supports 4K/60Hz.

If it doesn’t, the picture may be scaled down to 2K/60Hz. the PS4 Pro should automatically enable 4K if it detects a 4K compatible device connected to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
while catching up on the last few pages of this thread I saw this...

Soysaucebeast posted:

I cancelled my Amazon order because they aren't guaranteeing release day delivery and my order still has an unknown delivery day as of last week...

and just got this today.

it's funny, I've seen a few people stressing amazon delivery and cancelling in order to get the digital download.
has anyone ever really had any problems with amazon delivering on release day or are these just cases of anxious people hyped up and afraid of missing out on day one?

winter.mute fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 23, 2018

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Qubee posted:

I watched Bone Tomahawk last night and it did nothing to lessen my hype for this game. gently caress. Any other badass cowboy movies you guys recommend? List a poo poo tonne cause I've watched a poo poo tonne.

Here's a few I don't remember seeing listed in the past week or two

1. In a Valley of Violence (what if John Wick was just an o.k. western?)
2. Slow West (what if a movie really lived up to its name in a compelling way?)
3. The Timber (what if you wanted to feel really cold just by watching a movie?)
4. The Dark Valley (ever seen a German western set in the Alps? You should.)
5. Brimstone (what if Guy Pierce was super loving twisted in a western that wasn't The Proposition?)
6. Ballad of Lefty Brown (what if Bill Pullman was in a variation of Unforgiven?)

winter.mute fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 23, 2018

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Nolgthorn posted:

My favourite mechanic so far is the talk button is the same as the aim weapon button

I'll let my bullets speak for me

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
my version of Arthur bears a striking resemblance to a certain captain of a Firefly class transport ship... which is fine, because I aim to misbehave

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

ZeusCannon posted:

I must be confused because i swear i never see a way to skin a squirrel yet things are asking for squirrel pelts. What am i doing wrong?

Section Z posted:

Really, REALLY tiny animals you just shove into your bag of holding.

"Oh hey, my horse ran over a chipmunk-Oh just toss it in the bag then okay."

and if you check those small animals in your inventory there's the option to break them down or if you set up a cook/craft campfire the stringy meat you can cook is usually any small animal you shoved in the bag and cooking it breaks down the other parts (squirrel tails, bat wings, bird feathers...etc) into your inventory

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Hobo Clown posted:

Endgame free roam: Was wandering the desert near Tumbleweed and saw a large wooden house in the distance. As I ride in close it blows up. Massive loving explosion. Horse nearly bucks me off she's so startled. No one else around, no corpses in the wreckage. Only searchable item anywhere in the vicinity is a loot box with some revolver ammo in it. Game offers no explanation and John doesn't even bother to mention it in his journal. Just another day in the Old West, I guess!

there's also a crafting recipe for exploding shotgun ammo in the wreckage if you haven't already gotten it elsewhere in the game

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Snowy posted:

I was fending off some bounty hunters and about to finish them off when a dog pulls me around from behind and I get shot in the back and killed. Do the bounty hunters bring dogs or did it just jump in to help randomly?

some have bloodhounds and if you stay far enough ahead of them moving from spot to spot you can watch the dogs track your trail and you can actually throw them off your scent by riding in a river for a little bit

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9s-Z0LWqbA

easiest cougar hunt ever

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

is there any way to defend yourself without breaking the god drat law in this game?
i was walking around in saint-denis and some kids lured me into an alley where a bunch of thugs pulled guns on me so i run away and these guys are chasing me, shooting up the whole city... after taking like 10 bullets in the back i turn around and shoot one of the guys in the head and now im suddenly wanted for murder when the cops didnt give a poo poo a bunch of hooligans were trying to kill me in the middle of the street

my solution was to run to the nearest cop and put him between me and the guys shooting, if they hit the cop it becomes an all out gun battle between npc's

ZeusCannon posted:

Just loving punch em out.

equip any rifle or shotgun get close and use the melee button (o on ps4) instead of the trigger and you knock them out with one rifle butt to the head

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

rap music posted:

Ho ho ho merry christmas

Here is my fishtruck technique hopefully it help someone!!!!

:siren: goons only thank you happy holidays :siren:

https://youtu.be/9KPvvtm6JrY

Tips:

Obv find a deserted valentine

You want this exact cart because it has no tailgate for your loot to escape from. It spawns in and immediately around valentine from 6am to 6pm

There are several spots along the river this works at but I’m showing you the best one imo. Dense pike spawn, narrow river section for shorter casts and catches, good fish droppin ledge.

Once you clear all the pike in an area (usually 3-6) don’t bother looking for more as they shan’t spawn

Get good at unloading your fishtruck because you can waste a lot of time fumbling around. First person helps with precision!

Good luck! :coolfish:

I was doing this near the Owanjila dam outside Strawberry and someone rode up and stole my cart while I was catching a fish, my only recourse was to put three arrows in the forehead of his horse he left behind. While fishing you don't get a mini map in the corner of your screen so you should have the map open on the companion app to watch out for thieves and killers.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

rap music posted:

There’s a magic fountain in st denis

Also I’m about 40 levels below the saved custom outfit I’m wearing via tailor theft bug :v:

Veritas posted:

What's the bug, and how do you do it? I need some new duds.

I am also interested in this technique, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

rap music posted:

it isn't, the clothes thing has been around since gtao launch

thanks to the clothes instructions provided I actually have a good cold weather outfit for my sad low level character
it's strange how the cold weather options are level gated. i guess that's why they finally gave everyone that same free outfit but it's still an odd gameplay decision.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
so I guess pretty much all of New Austin is only there for angry garbage people to harass each other?

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Braincloud posted:

loving hell. 3 million hours put into single player and I still can’t get a drat silver chain bracelet to spawn. Sold the first one before I knew and haven’t seen one since. :argh:

sirbeefalot posted:

Hell, same.

Silver earring, too.

the answer to your problem is women.
even though you can find the jewelry in drawers, cabinets and lock boxes it's easier to rob a train or wander around town and stick up every woman you see, they tend to have the entire variety of bracelets, earrings, and necklaces.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

dublish posted:

The geography of this game bothers me.

how about this for confusing geography

you begin the game on the run from a robbery gone bad in Blackwater (1 on the map) and somehow come from the north with your wagon train to the abandoned cabins in the mountains (2 on the map) in chapter 1 and slowly work your way back to Blackwater, and somehow everything in between is new territory you've never visited before

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

rap music posted:

Goes like this:

Go to the blackwater or st denis tailor and open the catalog

Peruse until you find the particular item in the color you want and it is shown on your character

Hold L2 for the remainder of this process

Close the tailor's catalog and open your personal catalog by holding left on the dpad

Go to clothing -> accessories and buy something cheap like the string necktie in any color

Close your catalog

Go to the tailor's changing room and select "boots"

As the view zooms in on your feet, you will see the item you originally wanted appear on your character and you can now release L2

While the item is not actually in your wardrobe, it's now a part of your custom outfit and can be saved as such

Enjoy!

just tried this and it looks like they patched it out at some point

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
If you rushed through the character creation for Red Dead online and ended up with something that looks like it came from a family tree with no branches, and are thinking of restarting, this is for you

I decided to restart online before I got too far into it because my horrifying, shovel-faced, skeleton of a character was starting to bother me.
Here's a few things I learned in the process.

I knew the gold and cash I had would carry over but wasn't sure about anything else, and it turns out nothing else does.

If you got the free Arabian horse, High Roller revolver, Grizzlies Outlaw outfit, and Alligator saddle back in December you lose them.
They are all still available for you without having to rank up as soon as you start a new online character but you will have to buy them with cash or gold.

Also, it's a minor thing but when you go to the character info/progress menu it still shows the photo and name of your first character. This may just need time to update but after a few missions and several hours of playtime it's still showing my first character.

I was fine with losing my progress and the purchased clothing, gear and weapons from my nightmare beast of a first character but was hoping the free items would carry over as well as the cash and gold, but it's not a big loss.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Does anyone have a list of the missions and what chapter they are in? Looking to start early in chapter 3 and just loving chill for... well, ever.

if you just want a listing you can scroll down this page on the ign wiki guide it has all the chapter mission titles

https://www.ign.com/wikis/red-dead-redemption-2/Walkthrough

opening paragraphs for each chapter listing recaps the previous chapter and may be considered spoilers

winter.mute fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 26, 2019

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
found a bear hat online last night.
unfortunately you can't keep it in your inventory.

for anyone interested in finding it there's a stranger mission given by Flaco Hernandez up north at Cairn Lake to hunt down and kill some targets,
one of which is wearing this hat which can be shot off and picked up before or after you kill them

edit:
also, last week I got a chance to play a mission with Honest Abe

winter.mute fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 30, 2019

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

CJacobs posted:

And Sephiroth!

if Sephiroth had a few too many chocobo burgers

titties posted:

Who are you on PSN, we will play with you probably

WinterMute71

winter.mute fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 30, 2019

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

freeranger posted:

Anyone got some good advice on earning xp quickly in Online?

I've got one spot in the mines at Annesburg that is good for farming xp after getting a bounty and headshotting everyone that comes in with special ammo, netting 15xp a kill. But wondering if there is a better way?

I started the mission Kill Them, Each and Every One last night and there was a guy on his mic explaining to the other players how to farm the mission for max XP and money.

Instead of following Mr. Horley to the fort right away everyone just hunts the desert for about 20 minutes and sells everything at Blackwater. The large birds in the area (condors, hawks, owls, and eagles) are a good source of cash and any small animal pelt you put in your pouch will always be 3 star perfect during the mission.

We only went about 10 minutes before someone continued the mission and I made a couple hundred bucks and over a thousand xp. As an added bonus you have the entire server to the 4 of you and don't have to deal with aggro players trying to kill you before you reach the butcher.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

hup posted:

Oh, nice. I’m gonna try that tonight.

Edit: so I can use whatever gun on whatever animal as long as it’s small, right?

not sure about that, I was using the varmint rifle the whole time

any ps4 players playing today?
I'll be off and on the rest of the day and into tonight if anyone wants to posse up
psn is Wintermute71 and I've got a persistent posse set up. Hired Goons

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

holy hell.

at 2:08 he looks sad that his penis is missing

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

bgreman posted:

They're all Rockstar-style pastiches of real places.

Lemoyne is representative of the deep south: Georgia (especially Scarlet Fields), Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana (with the bayous and St. Denis).

There are a few direct correlations to real world locations.
The most noticeable to me was Braithwait Manor in Scarlet Meadows, it's a direct homage to the Oak Alley Plantation in Louisiana.
It's famous for the double row of live oak trees that line each side of the road leading up to the mansion.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I thought I'd done everything in that party (including dancing) but apparently if you hang around long enough, you can overhear Sean disappoint Karen in bed :laugh:

jase1 posted:

poo poo I missed that. Guess I’m gonna have to reload and do the party again.

if I remember correctly, to get the complete experience make sure you stand outside the front of the tent and talk to them when they come out

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

You can what??

Red Dead Redemption 2 : You can what??

possibly the most accurate game title.

I feel like we could start a "did you know you could...?" thread about this game that could go on for quite a while before no new info was added.

it took me several days online before I realized you can wash your face in a barrel of water at your camp to get the same effect as taking a bath in the single player, and there's also a crate full of beer you can drink from (and if you stand facing in the right direction you throw the empty bottles at Cripps)

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Cage posted:

I helped someone do a moonshine sell yesterday that let him pass through, and that poo poo was boring. At least moonshine sells always had "you can shoot bullets at people" over trader sells.

To be fair... there’s always a gunfight if you shoot first.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
just picking some herbs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAlAzKFI1gs

oh, guess it's going to be like that then.

Ygolonac posted:

Had to murder a random NPC. Motherfucker called me a heifer, if he hadn't been on a horse I'd've shot him in the dick. :torgue: "NOTHING IS MORE BADASS THAN TREATING A WOMAN WITH RESPECT!" :torgue:

NPC's are all ungrateful and rude
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9s-Z0LWqbA

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
did a moonshiner mission to teach my rivals a lesson by fighting them in the saloon...

decided to send a strong and clear message to keep off my turf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5Z9bjg12h8

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Morter posted:

If I just barely started a character in RDO, and there's this freebie going on with free weapons. Coincidentally, I wanna try a girl character (I made my character in a rush, initially).

Anyone know, if I delete my character and start a new one, will I get the rewards?

I did a character reset back when RDO was in its early days, here’s what I found out then.

winter.mute posted:

If you rushed through the character creation for Red Dead online and ended up with something that looks like it came from a family tree with no branches, and are thinking of restarting, this is for you

I decided to restart online before I got too far into it because my horrifying, shovel-faced, skeleton of a character was starting to bother me.
Here's a few things I learned in the process.

I knew the gold and cash I had would carry over but wasn't sure about anything else, and it turns out nothing else does.

If you got the free Arabian horse, High Roller revolver, Grizzlies Outlaw outfit, and Alligator saddle back in December you lose them.
They are all still available for you without having to rank up as soon as you start a new online character but you will have to buy them with cash or gold.

Also, it's a minor thing but when you go to the character info/progress menu it still shows the photo and name of your first character. This may just need time to update but after a few missions and several hours of playtime it's still showing my first character.

I was fine with losing my progress and the purchased clothing, gear and weapons from my nightmare beast of a first character but was hoping the free items would carry over as well as the cash and gold, but it's not a big loss.

There’s a chance it may be different now but I doubt it, you will most likely lose your items. There is a reward ticket included with the outlaw pass that allows for change of character appearance but I haven’t been able to get it to work yet (endless loading screen) so I’m not sure if it also allows gender swap.

I’m pretty sure you don’t need the free ticket from the outlaw pass and can just pay gold for the appearance change if you can get it to work. The menu text says it doesn’t charge until you accept, so you can see if it allows a sex change before you commit.

Hope that helps some.

winter.mute fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 3, 2020

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Zesty posted:

Is there any value in buying a bar for your moonshine shack? Collects money or something?

There’s a few daily challenge that can only be done in the bar to get you a few gold bars each week, other than that it doesn’t make you any money.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What's the point of Tracking Arrows? What situation are you in where you have the ability to shoot your target but you don't want to?

Zesty posted:

Google tells me hitting a bounty target with a tracking arrow prevents them from "escaping" and gives them one hell of a stamina drain.

So presumably it'd be good for having multiple bounty targets you want to bring in alive. You know, in case you want to make $30 rather than $20. :rockstar:

Exactly this. During bounty hunter missions if they get far enough away from you the red icon disappears from the map and you have to look for them before they escape but with the arrows they stay on the map and are slowed down considerably

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Ygolonac posted:

Working on making a mass-completion of all* the collectibles - 10 full sets of each collection, might take a while. Be a nice payout, though. :whatup:

Glad I’m not the only one who’s a masochist... I’m also maxing out the contents of my satchel provisions, ingredients, etc. at the same time.

Ygolonac posted:

Next step is buying the Tracking Arrow pamphlet, because gently caress yeah keep these rear end in a top hat from running all the way across the map. Do I have to arrow their horse seperately, or is the Doggie Downer effect communicable?

Not sure about the horse... my opening move for bounties is to go into dead eye and shoot any unmounted horses in the rear end to make them run away and mounted horses in the head to drop them before switching to the bow and tagging the targets

TorakFade posted:

Driving the wagon carefully to not smash your bottles is a pain in the rear end

I just switch the camera to cinema mode and let the wagon drive itself until I get to the roadblock and see how that interaction works out, as long as you don’t have to shoot at anyone let it auto drive the route and go as fast as you want.

winter.mute fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 7, 2020

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
the bugs in multiplayer are already bad enough, it really annoys me they need to change the rules to make legendary bounties artificially more difficult.
just played the Etta Doyle bounty and it wouldn't allow me to kill the horses pulling her escape wagon. it just greyed out my reticle when I aimed at them and wouldn't let me shoot.
that is fuckery most foul.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

I liked how in Red Dead 1, there was the one giant buffalo herd, and their pelts were worth a ton (i think, anyway) but once you killed them they were gone forever. I think there was even an achievement for it.

the Manifest Destiny achievement... actually got a little sad when I unlocked it

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Chuds McGreedy posted:

2.) Red dead 3 is a prequel prequel and we play as young Dutch and form the gang with Hosea. Post-game we play as Arthur after the ferry heist or whatever.

Vahakyla posted:

We need a cowgirl and a cowgirl perspective. I don’t necessarily want any of the established characters.

It’s been a while since I finished the single player portion of the game so some of the details are fuzzy but I think this would work.

There’s a bit of dialogue in the opening of the game where someone is saying how they can’t believe how Dutch just shot some woman when the ferry heist went bad. Make her your main character.
There’s also the O’Driscoll part of the story where you find out there’s a past rivalry and Dutch is stealing their heist plans to rob the train, etc...

You play as a new female member of the O’Driscoll gang who is given the task of infiltrating the van der Linde gang and feeding Dutch misinformation and setting him up for Colm O’Driscoll to get his revenge. This is what leads to the ferry heist and why it goes down so bad with every one thinking it had to be a setup.

Most of the game could be the story of how she got to that point and your last chapter could be the planning of the setup and ferry heist. That would let you have a new cast of characters that become involved with the story we know at the end.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
I've switched my moonshine shack location for the first time... disappointed that the interior layout is the same but I like the band being different. I now have Hipster Santa in a fedora playing the banjo.

edit: ...and the disturbing offspring from the unholy union of Tom Selleck and Charlie Day playing the washboard.

winter.mute fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 10, 2020

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
I've only done two locations so far and the members of the band are different except for the piano player. She seems to be the same character model and voice actor for both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

shut up blegum posted:

There's a new patch that gives you a raccoon hat if you have 2 factor authentication enabled :f5:

Where’s the info on this? I didn’t see anything about it last night when I was playing and there’s nothing on the :rockstar: site.