Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Branch Nvidian posted:

its also entirely anecdotal, but i did a complete format and reinstall of windows 11 pro about a month ago and none of the preinstalled candy crush bullshit showed up again, however, i did accidentally enable the onedrive integration that moves all the user folders onto onedrive, and had to spend a bunch of time fighting that and moving them back to being local. regardless, windows sucks

I did this early with my current PC, and recenttl had to set up two separate off the shelf HP machines for my dad and had to fight hard against the one drive bullshit. One of them made the documents folder unable to pin to explorer from some kind of bug and the solution to that is opening up the command line and deleting a lot of cached poo poo from hidden folders haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Beeftweeter posted:

they started stationing nypd at the target by my old building but lol they're not gonna do poo poo so it's not really a deterrent

encouragement maybe

Target is turbo hosed up. They will gather evidence of the same person stealing multiple times until the crime gets larger, and then they tell the cops to move in.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

On the topic of Instant Pot and Pyrex, when Corning sold Pyrex they then went whole hog into fiber optics and ended up flooding the loving market and having to scale way the gently caress back. A buddy's dad got laid off there years ago and was one of like two people who knew how their old computer poo poo storm functioned. No idea what ultimately came of that. All I know is that he barely touches a computer these days and just gardens.

I do drive past an unfinished fiber optic manufacturing tower every week that has been that way for like two decades now.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Recommendations, but as a service.

Online!

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Kids these days won't grow up with the joy of watching Beyond 2000 amd seeing none of those things come to pass.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Sapozhnik posted:

i guess the hit william gibson novel "don't create the cyberspace" doesn't quite have the same ring to it

I'm trying to think of any formative media about cyberspace/metaverse where it isn't viewed as a cautionary tale.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

infernal machines posted:

all of it? or did you mean intended rather than viewed?

Intended. At best they seem to have an angle of "people with disabilities have a freer life" but there is always this tone of corporate dystopia. Just throwing this out there that my favorite metaverse involved media would be the Otherland books by Tad Williams.

post hole digger posted:

ready player one paints a picture of the metaverse which is quite simply, epic for the win.

I did not consider that formative but did think of it haha. The little I know about that book came from a roommate who was reading it as part of a book club years ago, and he would have to sit down and vent about how goddamn stupid it is.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Shaggar posted:

this doesnt need AI and portions/foundations of it already exist. the big problem is getting high quality, properly coded data into the system in the first place instead of the doctor just shoving everything into a notes field.

I helped my uncle one summer work on his fancy enterprise level dispatch software he spent way too much money on for his less than 10 person HVAC company.

He had someone a year or so prior to me showing up write out some very detailed steps on how to use it, inputting customer name, address, work done, etc. So instead of following that, they just put everything into the notes field. So I spent 8 hours a day for that summer just doing mindless data entry fixing their stupid database.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

posted it before but oldjob spent a fortune on the Salesforce field level border encryption for sensitive fields and the sales guys just put all the sensitive info in the notes section that was unencrypted

Hahaha

Shaggar posted:

guess how 10000 employee provider orgs who spend a billion dollars a year on their EHRs handle the same problem? you'll be amazed!

Shocking!

My current contractor job has me doing CAD work designing things for heavy wash equipment, and the very tiny 3 person small business trying to figure out an inventory system. At some point they had some software package, that I cannot remember the name of, that required them to call up the company to pay for changes. Currently everything is in excel, so I'm filling out spare part fields and updating a huge master file before emailing it back to my boss haha.

Earlier chat about 4k displays reminded me of what a piece of poo poo Autocad is at doing anything in 4k and how busted the scaling is in that program.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Shame Boy posted:

fusion360... kinda... sorta... works on high DPI displays

like certain parts of the UI will still render like it's lower for some reason, and occasionally it just forgets you have that setting on entirely after an update and you have to go into the options to turn it back on, but it functions i guess

It's one of the better ones on a 4k display simply because it's newer, I've used fusion 360 a decent amount doing CNC work. It's relatively 'cheap' for what it does, and at least with everything being subscription based I can just not pay for it when I'm done spitting out all my g-code for the machine. Everyone of their products I've used has had some insane problem where I was trying to google solutions and the answer was 'this is a bug from a decade or two decades ago, just restart the program and hope it goes away'.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

EricBauman posted:

are there any cases yet of people being found by search and rescue in the wilderness, and then refusing to be rescued because 'too expensive, id have to work all my life to pay it off. better to just let me die here'

There was at least one father son pair I read about that activated their emergency beacon a couple of times for running low on water, and on the third time the rescue team forced them to leave because they were grossly abusing the system. Can't find it now because Google search is a gently caress these days.

I did some research on Garmin products and other satellite locator beacons if I want to do some more intense wilderness hikes. The Garmin service allows two way communication with search and rescue and yes is very expensive. I read about nothing but problems from people trying to pair the InReaches with their phones to use a better map viewing option (this also seems silly because it's two devices). I'd like an all in one handheld GPS map and satellite beacon but they all seem to have weird issues, the Garmin ones require a storm of add-on buys and subs. Probably the funniest thing was when you sideload your own maps it would wipe the elevation data for your waypoint coordinates hahaha.

$400+ is a lot to try something out that might be a kind of lovely product. I'd probably just split the cost of an InReach Mini with some friends of we need that kind of capability.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

post hole digger posted:

my needs sound a little different than yours, but in my experience, inreach mini 2's app works great. i'm bringing my phone for photos anyways so 'two devices' is not really a concern for me. I've never had an issue using garmin's maps on my phone, although I prefer caltopo's maps to garmin's and if i'm charting out waypoints i'll probably do it in caltopo instead. but as a beacon/messenger, inreach is great. I have exported gps waypoints from caltopo and added them to garmin explorer though, and that worked fine.

being able to share a map that updates in real time with my location was something my wife really appreciated though.

supposedly apple is working on adding satellite messaging to the iphone and if that ever comes through, thatd be a real Killer Feature for me.

edit: maybe satellite messaging is just for sos on iphone. i thought i read they were doing it for satellite messaging in general. dang. i'd love it if they expanded that, even if it was a paid service.

The elevation data wiping was specifically for the Garmin 66i. No idea if it was a more general problem for Garmin software. It was people syncing .gpx files, they would have to side load them by plugging directly into a computer to not wipe that and then it caused weird issues within the unit itself. YMMV, I heard good things about Gaia Maps from a few sources.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Anachronist posted:

My main inreach use was on a 5 day fly-in glacier ski/camp/climb trip in Denali National Park. $15/month to text the air taxi about weather and when they would pick us up was quite reasonable imo. Much better than just hoping that they'll show up next saturday at 11am! I also bring it most anytime I go skiing or hiking or climbing and having the teeny bit of safety net and communication with my wife is nice.

The best PLB story I know also is a dude who thought that his PLB was an avalanche beacon, so they would go to Berthoud Pass etc. and turn it on for 90 seconds while skiing down whatever gnarly backcountry run and then turn it off at the bottom. Unregistered so no phone number to call or anything like that. https://www.denverpost.com/2010/03/02/rescue-group-finds-ignorant-beacon-owner-who-triggered-false-alarms/

Hahaha, oh my god.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

post hole digger posted:

someone noticed all of the 'proposed renders' of oligarch stepford are actually just ai garbage they crapped out once people started digging into their identities lol

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea...=sfc_morningfix

Thanks I hate it

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Shame Boy posted:

maybe, i'm not really asking for why cuz that argument's been done to death, i'm asking if he's got (or anyone else tbh) first-hand experience seeing it from the side of the people making the products, and if it's obvious what's going on or not from that angle

"This product works, we need to copy this as best we can but make it distinct enough to not get us sued for patent infringement," a thing I was told when trying to do patent look ups when helping to design a medical device.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

qirex posted:

this is basically the prompt for a sidequest in a sci fi rpg

Glory to Mankind.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Shame Boy posted:

yeah i've wanted one of those for years but the one time i looked into getting one it both wasn't available and said would be available soon for like $5000 and yeah no thanks

This is the first I've heard of this thing and I'm curious. I have a shapeko CNC router table and it is like half that cost. You can get a pretty nice CNC router for $5000.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Shame Boy posted:

5000 was a number i pulled out of my rear end but checking just now the actual price is $3600 for the "complete" kit and $2900 for just the router by itself, which is still way too much but less I guess.

mostly interested because I really do not have the kinda space an actual CNC machine would require, but one that you can chuck in a closet would be perfect, if it were like 1/4th the price

I'll check it out regardless because it seems like a cool idea, but I don't think it can probably do the kind of stuff I need it to. One of the reasons why I have a CNC is to do cut operations that don't allow for holding a router flat on to any kind of reasonable jig. Also doing the exact same operation 100 times with minimal set up. That guide tape is a neat idea but I guess lends itself to just one offs naturally.

For reference I have an older model of this thing:
https://shop.carbide3d.com/collections/cnc-routers/products/shapeoko-pro-cnc-router?variant=32912259186749

One tool I really wish I had was a laser cutter or engraver, they make weird adapter kits for router tables but it seems like a huge hassle.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

rotor posted:

the shaper router is absolutely not designed for production work

Yeah I watched a few more videos on it, all of which screamed "we got this for free and get a cut of sales if you use our code" kind of thing. I could see it being useful for some one off work, but I use my CNC router more for plastic than wood, which is very very unforgiving to variable cut rates. Not to mention the few times I've cut aluminum with it, and the terrifying sounds that makes.

I'm curious about ease of servicing the drive motors, and at least one video was talking about features that were software locked behind a $100 up-charge.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

I am here for a return to webrings and using bookmarks. My favorite now (aside from the turbo dump that is Google search) is looking for items on Amazon and it's just a long parade of random companies with 4-5 letter random letters. Like GOGPL or LRTK.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

graph posted:

look at these loving dweebos lol

Just replace the guy in the middle with Nathan Fielder.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Shame Boy posted:

i was about to say lol at thinking that's all the solar panels you need

Just burning ship oil for months and months for power until the green energy is online.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

4lokos basilisk posted:

this is good because it incentivizes the creation of green energy on the high seas, right?

just like stabbing people in the ER is good because it incentivizes donations of donor blood

i am very intelligent

We must not forget that bitcoins are a store of power, just like a battery.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Remembering all those videos of tech freaks living out of we work spaces and wearing branded we work poo poo.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

The_Franz posted:

that video of some cult-of-wework freak, who was making a dating site for hedge fund managers or something like that, whose dead-eyed wife was clearly sick of it all and saying "well, when we have kids, this is going to stop, right?"

also wework installing all kinds of expensive equipment and hiring analysts to determine fascinating things like "people drink coffee in the morning" and "people like to sit by windows"

e: and the loony ex-ceo's even loonier wife who would demand that people be fired because she didn't like their aura

That was exactly the video I was thinking of haha.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

SO DEMANDING posted:

here it is, I was hate-watching it the other day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QCySNv7cxA

(Insane grin) "Sunday night group dinner at welive and Monday morning breakfast at wework, it never ends."

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Someone smarter than me please tell me why I can just change the file extension of a webp to jpg and it just works. What is being lost if anything in rendering that?

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

if it's anything like tumblr and their snowflake file extensions, it's because the only difference is the extension and the actual file is still a jpeg

It just seems so crazy. I'll get a webp that I want to upload to discord and it will not work, then just rename the file to .jpg and presto!

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

I get it now, it is clear to me.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I'm tayne, obviously

No, you're my favorite dancer.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

i don't think anyone would waste llm time to post on sa, and no, i don't think we've had someone genuinely interested in joining this community since hbag

I found out from a 17 year old we recently hired that everyone he knows going to a 4 year college used some kind of LLM to write their papers. What really floored me is that he said people are sing them to write texts, as in chat messages for them.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

I would put money that at some point on an ideas board, before they thought of suction cups, is the word "magnets???" circled a few times.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Salt Fish posted:

parachute
airbags
magnets
springs
suction cups

Suction Cups from First Principles.

Shame Boy posted:

i think my favorite detail of the whole concept is that the entire point of having active suction cups that are constantly monitoring pressure and adjusting themselves under power was presumably because sticky pads wouldn't have worked, would have been hard to remove/change, or would have damaged the wall

the solution to the problems with the suction cups is sticky pads, which they assure you will work, are easy to remove and change, and will not damage the wall

Just a constant high pitched mechanical whir from the air pumps as I sit back and enjoy my stories.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Shame Boy posted:

yeah "nutrunner" is not getting enough attention in this thread

I've never been more certain before that a product name came before the product.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Wayne Knight posted:

I am no longer of the opinion that LLMs have no valid uses, just that the valid uses don’t provide nearly enough value to make them worth the damage they have done/will do. Not enough people are willing to consider that something can be good AND not worth it. You do not, under any circumstances, have to hand it to them, but the Mennonites have figured this out. Generally pragmatic with regard to incorporating new technologies and with conscious evaluation of the societal and cultural impact.

Is lead paint a good analogy? It's great, just like leaded gasoline, (also we still have lead in av-gas). This might be giving LLM stuff too much credit comparing it to lead.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

We've had it too good for too long with vision amateur, time to pay up.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

rotor posted:

not really it just means more stuff in transit. Like if the pressure in a hose goes down you can just get a wider hose.

Jumping a few pages to respond. There was an interesting bit I read somewhere that I can't for the life oof me remember where about how competition (cough capitalism) has driven the advancements in doing everything faster and faster. If you aren't getting there first, or responding first, then someone else is getting that slice of the pie before you. This goes all the way back to trains and oil barons, air freight, private jets, and high speed trading being as physically close as possible to the trading floor servers.

Slowing life down is anathema to Number.

I'm sure there are some interesting ideas on this, but big business hates slow but efficient life.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Looking forward to future non-human persons that I can prank by asking them to tell me their secrets just like my grandma's bedtime stories.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Not sure if this is the place to mention this, but I fielded a call from an extremely large online BOOKSTORE company who wanted closed loop wash systems installed at their facilities. Their contractors were all driving huge BOOKSTORE branded trucks and couldn't take them to a normal carwash because they were too big. So they wanted these extra large wash stations for them to wash the trucks themselves, over 300 facilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i assume like fedex their drivers are all "independent contractors" so probably

ONLINE BOOKSTORE is the keyword here. Famous for making deliveries subsidized by USPS.

They were concerned about their trucks being so dirty it would start to hurt their brand.