Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
As a person rather fascinated by Chicago I am all about this LP so thank you very much for giving me some good Ironicus Corner Trivia. So I will say, as someone who only ever saw the worst of this from reports, the game looks REALLY good visually for actually trying some different things like this data mushing stuff and the way they kinda shot the cutscenes.

UbiSoft can do that poo poo okay it's just...they forgot about the rest of the game looking up to snuff yanno? Another thing I DO actually like a lot on recent UbiSoft games is the voice acting in some places, and also really nice tutorials like we just saw for this game, I liked Maurice's screeching panic there. Though um Aidan sounds like he REALLY is not into this game at all, everybody else sounds great but Aidan just bores the tits off me.

Jordi I totally wish was the main protagonist, he's like something out of Sleeping Dogs which is another sandbox game which is infinitely a lot better than this one in every possible way.

Also question to Ironicus, please tell me what you feel personally about Meigs Field Airport and Richard M. Daley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

It's also rather obvious already that Aiden started off as the estranged dad out to avenge his daughter yet they changed him into the uncle for whatever reason. It makes Aiden even creepier really.
No see being the dad avenging a daughter is cliché and we are all about the new and edgy stuff so let's make him an uncle!

CUZ TROPES YO :v:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

ThatPazuzu posted:

The weird thing about Watch_Dogs is that Aiden hates Big Brother. But Aiden has no problem hacking into people's private files, stealing from them, and secretly watching his sister and nephew. He is the thing he hates, which could be interesting, but they don't do anything with it. Who watches the Watch_Dogs?
HAhahahaha, ahahahahaha

It's gonna be like Remember Me was isn't it? Like it's going to look like some kind of ironic statement but in the end is just one huge-rear end hypocritical loving waste of writing cuz nobody bothered to remember the point of their story other than "HACK1N6 1Z C00L Y0!"

The Vosgian Beast posted:

This game seemed pretty lame, but then I got to the singing fish, and realized that none of the criticisms made about this game matter and it is clearly the best game ever made.
Yeah okay I mean that raises the game from 5/10 to 6/10 for me right there, I mean sorry.

Pyradox posted:

I feel like someone made this gravestone in MS Paint. It's three text boxes on a generic stone texture.
It's certainly no Hank the Chog, I mean fuckin' disappointing and who the gently caress's this Sonic lamb OC sitting all cheery in front of the grave, that's ju-okay is it MEANT to resemble Lambchop or is my age just showing? Yeah I know it's the girl's doll but really it looks like Lambchop to me.

Rirse posted:

Chip, how hard is it to LP this dull serious sandbox game when you work for a company who makes the hilarious and very fun Saints Row games?
I still can't believe he's off to Volition like a pro dude, congrats Mr. Cheezum! :dance:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Remember Me at least kept true to it's original thread. Sensen was created with absolutely no sense of accounting for the horrific abuses it would allow, and bringing it down is probably for the best. Nillin is conflicted about it, but realizes that since she's lost her memories and Edge isn't feeding her the whole story she has no way to go but forward. Nillin is aware that she's a hypocrite and tries to resolve it internally, and the degree to which Edge is a hypocrite is actually a huge plot point.
Nnnnnnnnoooooooo not really. I mean yes Sensen is a terrible place that really does not account for people's traumatising experiences, and yes Nillin knows she is a hypocrite when she REALISES from her internal flashback and poo poo. But as opposed to, you know, actually abusing the hell out of people's memories in order to artificially make friends...not really.
That killer assassin who was hired to cut you? Just gently caress with her memory and make her think Sensen killed her boyfriend so she works for you, that's TOTALLY not manipulative at all and exactly what Sensen would do, if anything that really makes you worse because I don't remember Sensen rewiring memories so much as holding them for ransom.

And then the lesson at the END with the whole moral about "hey maybe not gently caress with people's memories" is kinda bullshit because I had to do that the past six hours to know about that whilst actively knowing what I was doing is kinda hypocritical to the extreme. I mean if I was FIXING people's memories when they already got hosed up by either Sensen or even Nilin herself previously before all the plot happened, that would actually make it work instead.

poo poo, if the entire game was fixing the memories I hosed up from my past experiences, that would be amazing AND still keep with the actual message at the end which we kinda knew all anyway, instead of being an actual blatant hypocrite to reach an ending about how all of this you did was stupid bullshit you should not have done, period. Oh no I agree Edge being a hypocrite was a great plot point, the problem is that EVERYBODY is a huge hypocrite so what really matterrrrrs...? :shrug:

I'm sorry but I'm really putting this game in the same boat as Remember Me as a great concept poorly executed by its story and motivation.

Accordion Man posted:

Scrooge could also kick Aiden's pasty white rear end with his eyes closed and his arms tied behind his back.
You're talking about the only man who ever faced Theodore loving Roosevelt canonically in a fight and lived despite having made a new branch of the Grand Canyon during it.
Scrooge could kick anybody's rear end.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 4, 2015

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

One of my main problems with the game is that it sticks a bit too close to present day, except somehow everything is interconnected. That makes it very bland. At least if you are going to do this story, make it further into the future and more cyberpunk.
See, that at least is ONE good thing towards Remember Me, they at least actually WENT into the future rather than loving last year at the time Watch Dogs got released. Seriously, come the gently caress on guys.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Features that don't make sense need to be kept to a minimum to avoid completely breaking immersion, unless it's a cartoonish enough game that immersion and a sensible world take a back seat. Watch_Dogs is not one of those games, which means that something as ridiculous as wi-fi grenades immediately draws the eye and causes you to ask questions.
Saint's Row can get away with that poo poo because it knows it's stupid.

Sleeping Dogs can get away with that because it's half-serious half-kung-fu-showdown and considering I've picked an umpteen number of locks with my loving smartphone and guessing four numbers randomly everytime, it would fit.

Watch_Dogs is every bit trying to be serious and even the "funny" stuff in the game is more like just weird observations because people are weird. So it does not work, you can't have something that loving stupid in a game that serious. Now if this was THE FUTURE, I can accept that, but not a game that was set in the same year as the Xbox One came out.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Felinoid posted:

That was for hacking cameras and the occasional friend's computer. Lockpicking didn't use the phone (it was the only thing that didn't), and was actually moving tumblers using lockpicks, which makes some sense. You're probably thinking of safecracking using the phone, but that was for noise amplification to pick up when the tumblers engaged as you turned the dial, also sort of making sense.

I don't rightly know how playing Mastermind hacks a camera (I guess everyone in Hong Kong has terrible password security?), but the locks stuff is probably some of the least silly things in a game full of silly things.
Ah okay yeah my mistake, but my point is I would accept weird technology poo poo in Sleeping Dogs then I would in Watch_Dogs.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

As a weird uncle myself, or rather "the funny uncle" as my niece calls me, I feel very insulted by this game. I have way better fashion sense despite having less hair on my head than Aiden does and I never encounter invisible walls stopping me from driving small vehicles into narrow backyard regions :colbert: also why the gently caress are all the games lately just unable to get the name Aiden right in any concept?

Also um...wow lady how the gently caress did you make tickling sound like I had to go fix the printer, holy gently caress I do not care about this party can we just go to the ballpit or something like normal people?

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 8, 2015

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

JT Jag posted:

So, Aiden is an rear end in a top hat who does not contact the police or medical assistance whenever he hurts people, which is often. And yet, he does have a reputation around the city of Chicago, as seen by his sister's reference to 'the Vigilante' as well as... the reputation bar. How do these things reconcile?

The answer seems pretty obvious to me. Aiden wears a body camera, and uploads his awesome criminal takedowns to Social Media. Follow and subscribe Teh1337Vigilant3 for more cool videos of people getting the poo poo beat out of them!
Except they mysteriously don't work when an actual crime is committed to legally innocent civilians :haw:

I mean man, NOBODY loving calls an ambulance, even in Grand Theft Auto's many games you get a loving ambulance right on the scene, Sleeping Dogs does it, hell, SAINT'S ROW THE DUMBEST CARTOON loving has an ambulance come rolling in.

Maybe this entire game is just one vile critique of Chicago's public services.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Augus posted:

The problem is they spend way too long easing you in. There's a good several hours introducing you to the ATB bar by giving you battle upon battle of mashing X where it's impossible to lose. Then you have a couple hours introducing you to the actual combat system when you get Paradigms. Then you have a good 15 hours of learning how to balance your party by working with lovely 2-person parties. In pretty much every other FF game the "stuck with a lovely 2 person party" phase ends like an hour in. This game waits until like chapter 9 of 13 to take the training wheels off.
Do they actually tell you the plot at all during all that tutorial? Like having an actual way to tell what the gently caress's a Fal'cie and what's a l'cie? Cuz man, everything I hear about it, NOBODY tells me what the plot is, or even if there IS one.

(is it L'cie or i'cie btw I only ever see that written down and I really want to punch whoever made English lower-L and upper-i look the exact same in the loving face)

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Assassin's Creed has the same system of only having palette swap color clothes (at least until Unity, which was probably one of the best parts) and nobody complains about that.
There were a few of them that were actually different but yeah about 80% of them were really just palette swaps even if they do look less dumb than Aiden's palette swaps.

Just points to Ubisoft being massively unimaginative with clothing, I mean if they had no imagination to make a female assassin playable for being "too difficult to program" then what else do you expect from them? :v:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

I agree that Sazh's outfit loving owns but quite frankly ANY outfit in Final Fantasy is better than Aiden's because even the dumbest ones have SOMETHING new about them.

Pesky Splinter posted:

The (massively abridged) plot is basically, God creates robo-gods, who create robo-demi-gods (Fal'Cie) and humans. Then god fucks off. The Fal'Cie are tasked to govern humanity (shape the land, provide food, light shelter, etc), but one group get bored of this, and want god to come back to them. Because they can't self-terminate they concoct this convoluted plan to kill loving everyone in the hope god will take notice, so brand select humans with a "focus" to do their bidding. These branded humans (L'Cie) get access to magic, and can summon transformer personas. However, they're on a time limit - if they don't finish their focus before it runs out, they turn into a rock-crystal zombie (Cie'th) - if they do they get naked and turn into a crystal statue where they're in stasis until they're needed to do some random stuff for the Fal'Cie again.

The main characters come into it when they're branded and gotta figure out what they've got to do for all this, admist a kitchen sink drama blah blah blah. Then the game ends on a literal Deus ex Machina that is is only explained in the sequel, as is some big plot thing about a magic gate that only appears in a Latin cipher on one of the transformer summon's shield (that you will never be able to see clearly ingame), and in one datalog that you can only read by defeating an optional boss that you can only access after beating the game, and completing a very long hunting side-quest. And then the plot of the sequels are essentially non-sequiturs to the first.
...thank.

God, I did not miss anything, thank you so much for the recap. :) Good to know my perception that this game's sense of story immersion is nowhere near as good as Mass Effect's was never wrong.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

dreezy posted:

There is that one ooh edgy gif/webm thing, presumably from 4chan, where someone has Aiden use the profiler to kill all the sexual/racial/religious minorities he encounters and basically reenacts the trailer for Hatred.
It's almost as if profiling people in any context is actually wrong and terrible! :allears: there is nothing redeemable about this character is there.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

You decide to argue this point over a player-created joke?
It WAS posted on reddit.

How much of that was a joke you think, because I have no faith in humanity :v: nah okay I actually did watch the video when it got linked in the thread AFTER I made that post, cuz I wasn't gonna go look for it. Halfway through it starts getting pretty obvious it's a joke (that poor scientologist oh my god he was only 20 and had so much money to give for them :()
But yeah I'm just wondering how many people on Reddit thought it was a joke plus the descript I quoted previous of "basically re-enacting Hatred" implied that it wasn't very funny.

But my original point still stands that you do basically profile people in this game to gently caress with them as a gameplay mechanic, which is totally creepy and not making you a hero at all for whatsoever daduncle-related reason you have, Aiden.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 12, 2015

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

In a well written story, they could probably twist that into Aiden having trouble separating the mindset of the vigilante with his regular everyday life. But in this, it's probably something like a lovely Voice Director or the kind of dev cycle a behemoth like this game having necessitating the VA to have to keep coming back to the booth for various new lines and re-dubs without the proper context to the lines.
It's really sad that a AAA game has less thought and effort put into its voice acting than preschool shows.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

I will say I really like you can travel on the Chicago transit system.

Will it drop me off at Canaryville at a reasonable distance rather than three miles outside of it however :v:

I also would love to point out, since Chip mentioned they had not bothered making rising pitches of motorcycle sounds and just made five of them, the "echoey" tannoys of news is not actually an echo and is just a really horribly overlapped recording of itself.

Some dipshit has just hosed around in Audacity, made two copies of the same audio track and then just put one of them like .75 seconds ahead of the other so it SOUNDS echoey, but isn't actually. And I know this because I have done the exact same thing myself whilst goofing around in Audacity.

AAA game folks. AAA game. Also Chip how the gently caress did you do that sweet-rear end static-glitch during a cut, jesus your editing skills are just insanely good.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 14, 2015

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, I didn't bring this up since other people already pointed it out but that's been the most blatant "did anyone actually read back over this?" moment in the game so far, especially since Aiden's talking to a DedSec person while he's musing out loud about how much fun his newly expanded ability to invade peoples' privacy will be.

Also gotta say that whole "man calls his wife a oval office over and over" skit was forced as all hell and I'm absolutely looking forward to the next dozen variations on that theme.
Yeah I was really uncomfortable with that scene not because of its violent intonations (because it would have been good and well-written if it wanted me to be), but because of its blatant Batman villainesque presentation of two-faced murderous husband.

I'm convinced Ubisoft just watched the Dark Knight films and assumed Chicago was like this.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Great Joe posted:

Saints Row 2 did it right. Oh, you completed 6 levels of insurance fraud? Infinite sprint. Jumped out of an airplane and landed on the roof of a car? No fall damage. Flew an airplane through a whole bunch of tight spaces? You now own a flamethrower.
And then Saints Row 4 made it incredibly boring to play by giving you ALL THE SUPERPOWERS YOU COULD EVER WANT in the first two hours of the game and then I'm like :effort:

I mean I didn't have to work for any of that and made the game way too easy so I got bored like hell and stopped playing after a week.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Ted_Haggard posted:

With patches it's not that bad anymore.
Did they at least fix the blue-collar jobs and make the AI less aggressive in them? Because holy poo poo those were impossible to do past level 5.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Chip Cheezum posted:

In a few days we'll have another mini-update where Ironicus' short series on the history of Chicago will begin. I'm putting more effort into the video side of it than I originally planned, so that's why it's not being posted with today's update.
:syoon:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeessssssss I can't wait to hear on that I'm super-hyped for it!

Come for the shitfest, stay for the Chicagos!

So, I like the evil mob boss villain more than I like the hacker anti-hero.

That means the story was written really badly. Like, how the hell does this game make me respect an old knife-thrusting rear end in a top hat who at the very least is not a drat hypocrite as far as I've seen and who, despite being pretty old, commands a clear amount of respect from his people? Especially when Aiden whines about "not putting a bullet between his eyes" when you are right loving THERE and apparently unstoppable with your SkyMall-ordered special police baton.

I did too, but mostly because Badboy17's voice sounded like a female voice run through a synthesizer.
Yeah I was hearing the inflection in the voice thinking "that's really soft for a guy's voice" which only makes it even more stupid as to how the gently caress Master Hacker Aiden did not loving guess.
Holy poo poo, you're trying to convince us he's Batman but he can't even figure out the right gender of his so-called "most trusted" companion, and then he does meet her for the first time and he gets loving livid. And not even a good character design, someone noted she looked VERY like Lisbeth Salander and I agree it is almost exact right down to the illegal age inappropriate implication.

What a loving shitlord he is, I think Aiden might be the most hateful protagonist in recent gaming years.

BlazeEmblem posted:

I knew she was based on something. So that's why she seemed familiar. Except the whole choking thing.
No I think that was based from the movie too because Ubisoft wanna put in "something for the dads" :heysexy:

ugh.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The game tries to justify the cutscene with Aiden's voiceover talking about wanting to "rattle" Badboy17, but since we've established that Aiden's voiceovers are revisions made after the cutscene mocap, I have to wonder why he was originally going to be even more of a douchebag.
.......oh god.

You can't be serious. Bobbin please tell me you're not serious, that's such terrible planning!

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 21, 2015

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Patter Song posted:

Like everyone else, I'm almost rooting for Lucky Quinn at this point. Guy's a straight-up old-fashioned mob boss with style, charisma, and no attempt to pretend he's anything other than what he is. Aiden is a misogynistic jackass who blows up street corners and causes massively fatal traffic accidents when he's not literally beating a man into the ground with a police baton or robbing a stranger's bank account. Plus, Aiden likes memes, a huge negative. Why are we not playing as Lucky Quinn dealing with the deranged hacker with delusions of grandeur who is cutting into our turf?
I would, no joke, love to play a game where I can be an old-rear end gangster trying to regain his territory. A man who's not fit, not able to run too fast or parkour over things, needs help to get around the city like in cars or buses, but because he's such an old man he gets around everywhere for free with his senior citizen bus pass to plan out poo poo, as well as getting real good in stealth kills with a sudden knife to the throat or being real good with small pistols he can aim with.

A really focused skill set you can play around with UNTIL you get bodyguards you can actively command to do poo poo for you, as well as threaten people with either nice words, bribery or active threatening. Seriously I think this is a golden idea.

Bruceski posted:

Edward Kenway's basically self-aware of his role as a player stand-in. The Templars are on one side going "plot plot plot" while the Assassins are on the other going "plot plot plot" and he just looks at them and says "what's in it for me? Oh man, I get a boat? Screw you guys, I'm gonna go sail around and be a pirate! What? Yeah, yeah, Observatory whatever, watch me dagger this guy in the FACE!"
This is the same guy who not only stole the identity of an Assassin betraying his kind to the Templars, but then actively stole from their very pockets during their big conspiracy, like loving Robin Hood in that Disney movie when they dressed up as gypsies.

Edward is awesome and not hypocritical because he tells you from the very get-go he does NOT give a poo poo about any of this conspiracy, he just wants to get a boat, be a pirate and loving start poo poo, that's IT. And he is awesome for it because quite frankly being a pirate in that game is waaaaaaay more fun and awesome than being an Assassin and the game knows that!
Much as it has a story, it kinda does just have Edward go "gently caress this, this mission's gonna be long WANNA RAID A FORT?! :black101: YEAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Wild Knight posted:

So what is it supposed to used for, when someone's being super creepy and/or misogynistic and/or unnecessarily violent?

Yeah, this was about the point I lost the sympathy I had for Aiden. It's so clearly WWBD (what would batman do) and forced by some writer or producer because they want Aiden to Be the Batman but without thinking through what that actually says about his character in this environment.
It fails even then because Batman WOULDN'T do that, Batman does not treat his allies like this, he treats his ENEMIES like this, as in the old rear end in a top hat who loving knifed a dude in front of you.
Seriously, the gameplay of this game is okay, but the story and characterisation loving ruins everything about this.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Patter Song posted:

The thing that cracks me up about the title is that they picked Watch Dogs, or, rather, Watch_Dogs, rather than Watchdogs. Watch Dogs makes it sound like it's a game about watching dogs while Watchdogs would imply a guardian/protector entity.
Why is it Watch DOGS, plural, when we only ever play as Aiden since he's apparently that poo poo at trusting his own friends in constantly blowing off the cool guy in the pink suit, and making GBS threads himself with rage when Trusted Friend turns out to be a girl?

Why can't it be The_Watch_Dog that way you have both your lovely username AND an even more terrible game title with double the underscore?

SomeIdiot posted:

If you'll do a bit of research, you'll find that prior to the quarter-million rewrites the game went through, watch_dogs was originally intended to be an entry into Ubisoft's critically acclaimed Dogz series.
Uh, I'd take this joke further, but the thought of Aiden Pearce as a pet-sitter is kind of horrifying. :ohdear:
TARGET NEUTERED

*Kennels exploded, five dogs dead for no reason all around him like a PETA branch's dumpster*

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 23, 2015

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

I don't know, I liked that moose ska band joke.
To be fair, gangsta rapper singing fish was quite frankly amazing to hear.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Aiden is so bland he can't even be creative with calling for a car over the phone like Tony Montana.
His WORLD is so bland it can't even be its own verse and has to pretend to connect to another more interesting verse that people kinda don't give a poo poo on anymore.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

:hfive:

I don't know what compelled me to initially play it, I don't even like the movie all that much, but everything was just enough fun and was just stupid enough for me to get a weird amount of enjoyment out of it.
In all honesty, I can see why people want to play this game, I mean if you take out all the story it can be pretty alright to run around in and screw with people.

It's just the story itself trying to pretend it's totally not that that loving ruins it so frankly if you just skip every cutscene the game seems passable!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Spergatory posted:

This game would make a lot more sense and be a lot better if Aiden were just some rear end in a top hat anarchist trolling cTOS for the greater good. "This world is obsessed with convenience, willing to sacrifice privacy for security, putting everything, everywhere, online and controlling it all through the same system. My job is to show them why that's a bad idea. :unsmigghh:" Not only does it make more sense from a hacker-archetype perspective, but it caters perfectly to the best worst impulses of everyone who plays open world games. Because all open world games are about chaos, even the ones that aren't. Especially the ones that aren't.
See, that's perfect, don't make him try to justify his cyber-vigilantism, make him an rear end in a top hat doing it to show why this system's broke, like a challenge accepted like some douche Anonymous hacker.

It fits way more into the modern age, you have your anti-hero who really is nothing more than antagonistic protagonist and you can look edgy without making it really awkward and hypocritical.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

General Ironicus posted:

I think I remember mentioning that I'd put together a small album of pictures for people to see some of the things we mentioned, but whether or not I did, here it is: http://imgur.com/a/58cP3
Okay these are all really awesome but

that...is the loving winner for my childhood right there :syoon: holy poo poo it's perfect.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

That...was the best D-trip right at the end there.

Leal posted:

"Am I talking to badboy or Clara?" - Aiden, continuing to be a cock. She should of hosed with him and used the voice modulator to pretend he met someone completely different.

Also that ending :allears:
Oh my loving god you sexist shithole.

Jesus CHRIST Aiden the first thing he says in the video, man. Okay fine you apologised but hahahaha that looked such an obvious misstep with dialogue/cutscene writing at different parts of the process. Also could we just not play as Aiden anymore and just be Spider-Tank the whole game, I mean it's pretty much that Ghost in the Shell PSX game which is A-OK by me because that game was pretty kickass rad.

I'm glad there's one part of this game done the way a game should be. :)

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Night10194 posted:

I remember when I was playing Second Sight and you check a dead guard's computer. He's IMing his wife, and she's getting increasingly panicky and upset in real time that he's not responding.

I didn't kill a single additional human being outside of the ones absolutely required for the rest of my play through of that game after that. Watch_Dogs doesn't even have the class to use its gimmick to make murder feel consequential.
oh....oh god

that's loving heartbreaking. :( drat nice one Free Radical.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Stormgale posted:

Actually that brings up an interesting point about Watch_DAWGS in that its trying to have it's cake and eat it too in the worst way, open world games generally have you ignoring the law (Playing a criminal in GTA, Saints row moving into cartoon rules, rear end creed etc) or in a land that is without law (Red dead) but this is kinda like the uncanny valley effect for morality if that makes sense to anyone, the world is presented as supposedly realistic and modern but yet we still do all these terrible things.
That....is exactly what it is holy poo poo. You can't have a chaotic playground and be expected to follow the law unless you force restrictions onto yourself by your role. LA Noire did this best by having cars that didn't go super fast, getting punished by every little thing and obviously, being an officer of the law.

You can't have an open sandbox game where you're supposed to be a moral saint and then not do it when the game ACTIVELY FORCES YOU to do awful poo poo.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Chip Cheezum posted:

Yeah, we're just going to be covering the big conferences that get streamed to everyone. So it'll be Bethesda, Microsoft, EA, Ubisoft, Sony, Nintendo, and Square Enix this year.
Aw hell yeah I'd love to hear your commentary over the E3 stuff I can't wait!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

muike posted:

The game will be built on an actual digital Indian Burial ground.
Sooooooooo it'll be an intense browser game with URL in Geocities then?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Night10194 posted:

The big thing that strikes me is that no-one in Watch_Dogs is *having fun*. The protagonist is the biggest wet blanket, sure, but almost everyone seems bored or grim or like they're kinda going through the motions. That could work is the story was about the crushing loneliness and ennui that can come from the digital age, maybe, but that's sort of hard to make an open world crime game around.

Someone besides Jordi needs to love this poo poo, damnit.
It's not even just the fact nobody's having fun it's the fact that everyone is miserable as poo poo.

Like Sleeping Dogs, we got to have kickass races, we had a whole DLC about the Zodiac Tournament and another one having the New Year, people DID stuff, you felt Hong Kong was a place where markets were bustling and economy was sweet.

All the Assassin's Creed games I played, people had fun, even people back BEFORE actually fun stuff did fun stuff and were happy. Rowdy bars in Colonial America drinking and having games, raucous market festivals in Venice, street gambling in Medieval Arabia and sea shanties on the high waves of the Atlantic.

Here there is NOTHING loving happening that's fun that actual people do, the closest we got to fun was a moose head and a fish. Dead animals are having more fun in this world than the human beings who loving stuffed them.

RealSovietBear posted:

Was that second privacy invasion a suicide? Because holy poo poo that is messed up.
Oh my god was it?! I thought she was suffering from bulimia that's incredibly hosed up.

Okay gently caress Aiden, he is the worst loving protagonist in the past ten years, jesus christ this game offends me as a human being. The master hacker he is and he can't even pick up the phone to call 911?

Oho right, his phone is useless because like Chip said it can't actually MAKE calls, only receive them, way to create plausable deniability shitface :v:

I'm very glad you're not getting all the collectibles Chip, this game does not deserve that much patience from you.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 5, 2015

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Just because they WATCH doesn't mean they DO.

bbcisdabomb posted:

You know what would have been thematic and good for that suicide privacy invasion? You hack in, hear the first part of the girl psyching herself up, and you get a hack prompt. Hit it and the phone rings, connecting to a suicide hotline on speakerphone. Boom, Aiden doesn't have to actually interact with another human being and he does some good. Then you can hack $300 or whatever from her afterwards.
Even David Cage games allow you to do that. And those games are really about their moral points.

Because yeah that would actually be a wonderful thing to do, you would actually get some respect points or whatever and then it'd be all okay? But no clearly Aiden is a godawful piece of poo poo who frankly makes me wish the gangsters had managed to kill him off in the opening if this is what it's come to.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Astro Nut posted:

Another bonus I'd say on the QR codes is that, as collectibles go, they're thematically appropriate whilst also (relatively) naturally gelling into the setting. Okay, what you actually get from them is bog-standard audio logs, but its at least a more engaging form of finding something than 'pick up intercepted audio log'.
Even if discovering and lining them up is a blatant ripoff of the Riddler question marks from the Arkham games showing even MORE obviously how they wanted to make a Batman ripoff and failed miserably.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Zagglezig posted:

Not even hard to think of some ways they could've played around with what they have.
The two we saw here, for example, you take the guy judging stuff and make it so it sound like he's talking about women (hefty, scrawny, big udders), then the more you listen he starts listing off weird stuff and then you realize he's rating cows. Maybe keep in the "would/would not bang" if you wanted to weird out players all the more.

The woman, keep her whole speech, but at the end play a little clip from the end of Free Willy and have her say "Hell yeah" or something and it turns out she's someone who really aggressively talks to movies.
See, this is what Sleeping Dogs would do and that's why Sleeping Dogs is infinitely better.

Because if you're going to make your character a loving hypocrite for the love of god have some fun with it you soulless fucks.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

Aiden operates many sock puppet accounts to promote his public image
Ahhhh so those are the Badboys 1-16, he's REALLY mad at Badboy17 for taking that one obviously. :v:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

zedprime posted:

Congrats on finding the biggest mistake in trying to build a franchise about a secret society based on the hashashin.
It does seem really stupid.

I mean the best assassins are the ones that no one knew ever existed. :ninja:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Was this second hacker hidden behind the grassy COBAL? :v:

ThatPazuzu posted:

I think it's weird that the one guy is complaining about being crippled when he's just in a legbrace. I mean, it still sucks but he looked like he could move around pretty well. Also it makes it weirder that he wrote "I suffered too." Invinting comparison between Aiden's dead child-niece to his limp might not work in his favor.
That DOES seem like he's kind of a shithead when his life seems barely unchanged compared to one dead family member.

I'm hoping that's intentional to make us dislike him instantly, but I can't trust this game's writing anymore. I did like the setup of that scene with I SUFFERED TOO though, that was nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Chip Cheezum posted:

That's for our stream, not their stream. I'm not sure if I'll be able to stream it or if I'll have to go into work at that time.
Will you be recording this stuff and uploading on Youtube? I don't wanna miss anything but E3 can get really boring for me and I really enjoy having commentary from cool dudes like you guys so I can pay attention to what's going on.

• Locked thread